List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not denying it played a part but it’s not the only reason and the much larger reason was the players only willing to go to a single nominated club. Which you are denying was a major cause in us having poor negotiating terms.

Your GC theory/story is not how it went down, pies sort out parties to move him without informing Treloar assuming be ok with it and he’d follow her.

GC were able to come to the party with that pick, there were also talks going on with other clubs, it wasn’t until Treloar situation blew up and he nominated dogs, when Bucks pushed him out that the situation went south.

Regardless it’s all rumour so until petracca comes out and says make me a pie it’s just fantasy trading.

I just think a future first and maybe some change is much more realistic for a 29 yo (for season 25) gun who allegedly wants nothing to do with his club and willing to walk away from his contract. (Which is an important bit to this imaginary trade discussion).
Yeah ok mate I’m not going to agree that a player only nominating one club, which happens every year, was the driving force behind those poor trade returns rather than our need to get their salaries off our books.

Let’s just leave it there.

I’d trade whichever gets us the better deal. Both are fringe and would need a lot to go right to establish themselves. On the basis of no contract from us or any speculation of external interest Reef has zero trade value so I’d cut him and trade Richards
I think a few clubs could be interested in McInness and I dont think we should delist him or trade him unless it is a good offer. He is a prototype Hawthorn player. Chuck in the prospect of Condon and you wouldnt mind hitting the ball out to him in the middle along with Nick, Allan and De Goey.

He isnt an AFL player yet but there are different ways I do believe he can make it. Great attitude, super speed and a size hard to match up on. He is still only 21 and with 20 games experience into him he has time still.

Richards has gone from being a delist at the start of the year to being at least worth Ports 2nd rounder (mid 30's plus) and something else in the future. We get screwed in trades (Beams 2nd time, Grundy, Treloar, Witts, Henry, Ginnivan)....I'd be playing hard ball as while he may not be our best 23 he is a trusted AFL player the way he is composed and uses the ball.

Yeah ok mate I’m not going to agree that a player only nominating one club, which happens every year, was the driving force behind those poor trade returns rather than our need to get their salaries off our books.

Let’s just leave it there.
One of the things that also screwed us with the Treloar trade is one of the people (Dom Milesi) responsible for our terrible salary cap position was now recruiting for the dogs.

I think we getter a better deal had we decided to say we would pay part his salary up front.

I think a few clubs could be interested in McInness and I dont think we should delist him or trade him unless it is a good offer. He is a prototype Hawthorn player. Chuck in the prospect of Condon and you wouldnt mind hitting the ball out to him in the middle along with Nick, Allan and De Goey.

He isnt an AFL player yet but there are different ways I do believe he can make it. Great attitude, super speed and a size hard to match up on. He is still only 21 and with 20 games experience into him he has time still.

Richards has gone from being a delist at the start of the year to being at least worth Ports 2nd rounder (mid 30's plus) and something else in the future. We get screwed in trades (Beams 2nd time, Grundy, Treloar, Witts, Henry, Ginnivan)....I'd be playing hard ball as while he may not be our best 23 he is a trusted AFL player the way he is composed and uses the ball.
I'm of the opinion that McInnes is a player (I think with a bit of love and game time he will be AFL quality). However he is worth nothing in a trade. So I would give him a 2 year contract and make him work hard on his fitness and run him through the backline. I think he has a better chance of making it than most late round draft picks.
Richards on the other hand has show he is at the level. Again I would prefer we keep him but he has trade currency so if we trade him for a 2nd (no later than ports pick 37) I wouldn't be totally upset.
If I had to keep one and trade one it's a tough call but I'm keeping McInnes and trading Richards.

I’d trade whichever gets us the better deal. Both are fringe and would need a lot to go right to establish themselves. On the basis of no contract from us or any speculation of external interest Reef has zero trade value so I’d cut him and trade Richards.
I reckon Richard’s will surprise a few. Last year he was playing catchup and this year was derailed by injury.

Will be a very handy player.

One of the things that also screwed us with the Treloar trade is one of the people (Dom Milesi) responsible for our terrible salary cap position was now recruiting for the dogs.

I think we getter a better deal had we decided to say we would pay part his salary up front.
A mistake we made was not documenting how much of Treloar’s wage we’d continue to pay before signing off on the trade. No doubt our expectation was that we’d be on the hook for significantly less given he was basically traded for a pick grade.

Will Setterfield? Will only be 27 at the start of the year and is out of contract this year. You’d think we could get him for basically nothing.

Along with Wil Brodie, I think he is probably the pick of mature agers to target if we really want to legitimately have another crack next year.

Also given the low trade/contract cost it wouldn’t preclude us from chasing some other younger midfield talent (my personal preference in order being Garcia followed by Peatling/Hobbs/Tsatas/Davies)

Let’s spin it a different way. If Reef McInnes was named Joe Blow playing for Port after the 4 years he’s had in the system would you offer him a contract? I wouldn’t and certainly wouldn’t look at him and go “this guys a mid”. He’s the prototype list clogger that’s hanging around simply because he’s got size and was an early pick much like T Brown hung around because he had size and was a FS. There’s a reason he hasn’t been offered a contract at this stage. This incessant belief that it’s going to click for him as a mid is almost as clapped out as the theory that Fin Macrae is going to make it. Like so many before him he’ll move on as will we and we’ll then find the next talent to overinflate who just isn’t up to it. He is also 100% not a Hawthorn type player he’s not a good kick, agile or crafty.

What hardball can you play on an uncontracted player? Our most recent reference point was Ollie Henry who smokes Richards both as a footballer and as a prospect. If he chooses to leave, which I’d be staggered if he doesn’t, it’s a straightforward 2nd Rd pick in either 2024 or 2025. The dreams of involving Bergman that some have are just that. Richards can go on to carve out a decent career at Port ala Aish, but will never really go onto hurt us or be truly established at Collingwood without a change of role or injuries. Be happy for him and accept that it’s a decent outcome to take a pick 50 mature ager and turn that into a pick in the 30’s two years later. List management isn’t about wins and losses or else we’d be bottom 4 with some of the decisions made going back to 2018.

Reported for your poor word choice 😉
I actually thought of that as I posted it 🤦‍♂️

I’m going to take the McInnes aspect further. Let’s say we target Peatling that puts McInnes behind everyone that played Friday night, Mitchell, JDG, Peatling and I’m going to suggest Demattia who I’m backing in as a more likely midfield starter in 2025. Without injury how is he pushing past that group? He’s going to get a 1 year contract most likely on the rookie list if there’s no external interest it’s not happening.

I reckon Richard’s will surprise a few. Last year he was playing catchup and this year was derailed by injury.

Will be a very handy player.
It depends on your benchmark. If you’re talking 30+ goals then yes that would surprise, but I don’t think he has the physical attributes to do that. He’s Bobby without the magic, Shoota without the defensive application, McReery without the power.

I reckon he’ll play 20+ matches and his biggest believers will smack the club for the trade when he has his monthly big one then go quiet when he follows up with 4 average ones. My message to Joe would be to take Port’s contract it has you on an AFL list for a guaranteed 6 years* and Collingwood will be fine without you!

*depending on if there is a games trigger for year 4 and then what that trigger is. Anything over 15 matches would be interesting.

Last edited:
Saw in another thread that Gold Coast is interested in Noble, any truth to this? I'd only trade him if they offered pick 12.
Setting aside that not even GC are spending two top 12 picks on flankers there is a real way we can get that pick. It’s likely if not probable that Lombard receives a bid in the top 12. Throw all your Doggies merch on so we can have circa pick 32 from Hawthorn. Find a way to upgrade that, add our 2025 2nd and we could get a look in if GC think we’ll be trash in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100%. It’s an internal injury which will heal fully with no implications for repeat in the future. Only has the mental side of thing to get over. Really when you look at players who have had worse injuries like Lonegon you would think he will be back with no issues .

It did change Lonergans approach slightly though (understandably).

Imo Reef has shown he is capable in games all be it fades and inconsistent. But given his game time is also erratic and inconsistent is it really a surprise?

He hasn't been backed in for a extended block of games to settle and build connection with his team mates.
He is often asked to come in and play as a KPF when really is built for a 3rd medium tall option.
He also doesn't get the grace of small forwards who go through patches of similar form or worse.
He is a 21yo 193cm with pace and he does use it but mainly on the lead to get off his opponents. He needs to learn to use it defensively as well.

Maybe a little early but who is off the list at the end of the year?

Potentials

Murphy
Carmichael
Begg
Sullivan
Richards? (Trade)
Kreuger
Eyre
Steene
McInnes
Bytel
Long
Dean (does he have another year?)

Any crazy/annoying trades? Like:
Ginnivan
Adams
Cough cough Schultz

Last edited:
Maybe a little early but who is off the list at the end of the year?

Potentials

Murphy
Carmichael
Begg
Sullivan
Richards? (Trade)
Eyre
Steene
McInnes
Bytel
Long
Dean (does he have another year?)