List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

What's funny about it? I don't get the joke šŸ„“
Shaun in the Collingwood rooms after a win would be amusing with roaming Brian chasing him asking him questions like: "what did you think of Maynard's game tonight ;)". It would never happen but it plays out funny in my head.

Iā€™m not interested in Coniglio as a stand-alone trade but the idea of them including a first rounder to sweeten a deal to get most of Coniglioā€™s salary off their books is interesting. Even better if the senior player in question is Kelly rather than Coniglio! Anyway, Iā€™m just spit-balling some hypotheticals - like most on here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I got that. I just donā€™t find it as interesting because itā€™s not going to happen. I think thereā€™s ways to unearth one so Iā€™d encourage the thought process this one misses the mark for me though.

I find it staggering that anyoneā€™s buying that story re Petracca. No player has a clause in their contract which allows them to effectively walk especially not one of the top 10 players in the game.

I got that. I just donā€™t find it as interesting because itā€™s not going to happen. I think thereā€™s ways to unearth one so Iā€™d encourage the thought process this one misses the mark for me though.

I find it staggering that anyoneā€™s buying that story re Petracca. No player has a clause in their contract which allows them to effectively walk especially not one of the top 10 players in the game.

Tippett did, but that didnā€™t work out so well for the Crows when it was found out.

Dunkley wanted to go to essendon when he was contracted. Dogs held firm.He got his wish to lions a year later
Lobb tried to move out from freo but was unsuccessful, freo held him to his contract for one more year.
Geelong with Tim Kelly.

Clubs arent' afraid to do so.

They all left a year later, if someone wants to leave whatā€™s the point in keeping an unhappy player who will just try and leave again the following season.

They all left a year later, if someone wants to leave whatā€™s the point in keeping an unhappy player who will just try and leave again the following season.
My point is, that clubs arent shy to keep them while in contract. None of these players kicked up a storm. They went back and worked hard for the next year.

Watch this space, you might be onto something here. He is the perfect fit for our mid mix moving forward. From what I hear GWS have had a contract extension in front for 6 months and does not want to entertain it until later next year. Hearing we have been in his ear for last 12-18 months.

All the more painful that we couldā€™ve got him and Daicos had Ned Guy not butchered that trade deluxe.

Tippett did, but that didnā€™t work out so well for the Crows when it was found out.
Iā€™d suggest that with Petracca having 5 years to run on his contract and the Tippett scenario of being able to go as he pleases at the end of his contract for a 2nd rounder are rather different.

There just isnā€™t a rational scenario where the Dees signed the reigning Norm Smith Medalist to a contract which allows him to break said contract on a whim.

Hill at the giants another. On the other hand Papley unsuccessfully requested a trade to the blues in 2019 and heā€™s still a swan.

Hill at the giants another. On the other hand Papley unsuccessfully requested a trade to the blues in 2019 and heā€™s still a swan.
Papley never really wanted to leave. I believe it was family issues, but they got sorted and everything is a happy ending after that. I do remember that being a big thing at the time. Almost got to the blues, but swans said no.

This Petracca circumstances is unlike anything we have seen before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way I see us getting Petracca is losing Hill or Quaynor, aside from the Daicos brothers they are the only players of value we have.

2025 1st + Quaynor

Or

Trade Hill to Freo for pick 10 and give that plus 2025 1st.

Thatā€™s a big risk, Petracca seems very hurt and scared by his injury. He may not be the same player again. Also if we have another bad year with injuries and older guys hitting the wall and our 2025 1st could be pick 3-7.

We couldnā€™t be any worse off this trade periodā€¦ no picks and no Wright to negotiateā€¦Richardā€™s goes nowhere unless we get a first rounder for him. We paid one for Schultz we should expect the same for Richardā€™s. simple as that.

Petracca wants to leave, Grundy was pushed outā€¦somehow we end uo screwed trade wiseā€¦still paying his wage. If Melbourne want picks they need to keep some of his salary.

Iā€™m not a fan of the Tom Lynch speculation. Injuries are beginning to slow him, no way you take that salary without compensation.

The only way I see us getting Petracca is losing Hill or Quaynor, aside from the Daicos brothers they are the only players of value we have.

2025 1st + Quaynor

Or

Thatā€™s a big risk, Petracca seems very hurt and scared by his injury. He may not be the same player again. Also if we have another bad year with injuries and older guys hitting the wall and our 2025 1st could be pick 3-7.
Iā€™d not lose any sleep if thatā€™s what we give up for Petracca.

2025 1st + Quaynor

Or

I'd rather not have Petracca than do any of that. As you say, no one knows what Petracca will be like once he returns to footy.

Bobby is our Norm Smith medallist & X factor. And IQ bleeds black & white & in our leadership group, which shows you how much he is valued amongst his team mates.

If we're a chance of picking up LDU in 2026, along with Tom McGuane, I'd much prefer that option.

Last edited:
We couldnā€™t be any worse off this trade periodā€¦ no picks and no Wright to negotiateā€¦Richardā€™s goes nowhere unless we get a first rounder for him. We paid one for Schultz we should expect the same for Richardā€™s. simple as that.

Petracca wants to leave, Grundy was pushed outā€¦somehow we end uo screwed trade wiseā€¦still paying his wage. If Melbourne want picks they need to keep some of his salary.

Iā€™m not a fan of the Tom Lynch speculation. Injuries are beginning to slow him, no way you take that salary without compensation.
It staggers me that a post starting with ā€œRichards goes nowhere unless we get a first rounder for himā€ could get worse, but then you did it you crazy SOB you suggested the Dees would pay part of Petraccaā€™s wage if they want picks. Incredible!

This Petracca circumstances is unlike anything we have seen before.
Petracca is a big name and this has the makings of an ugly fallout between player and club. All circumstances are somewhat unique, but while itā€™s a big story I wouldnā€™t go as far as not seeing it before.

Without much thought Judd, Dangerfield, Franklin, Ablett, Beams were all big names who left their clubs in recent times. Club lead, but Treloar being traded out got ugly. Ditto Stringer and the dogs.

Ultimately a happy player is unlikely to seek a move away from a club unless itā€™s for greater opportunity (games or wage) or interstate for family/personal reasons.

Dodoro is that you ?

Petracca is a big name and this has the makings of an ugly fallout between player and club. All circumstances are somewhat unique, but while itā€™s a big story I wouldnā€™t go as far as not seeing it before.

Without much thought Judd, Dangerfield, Franklin, Ablett, Beams were all big names who left their clubs in recent times. Club lead, but Treloar being traded out got ugly. Ditto Stringer and the dogs.

Ultimately a happy player is unlikely to seek a move away from a club unless itā€™s for greater opportunity (games or wage) or interstate for family/personal reasons.
When I say circumstances, I mean in the way this has all come to light and why. What he has been through.

Would Tracs management have leaked the details of his disgruntlement and desire to move to the media if they didnā€™t foresee a clear pathway out?

I suspect theyā€™ve been war gaming this for some time, and these are all quite calculated steps.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out from here. Could get ugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back