List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Petracca has himself indicated that he may not return to his best mentally. The saints passed on him because of perceived mental fragility…if my memory serves me correctly he had soft tissue injuries earlier in the year, could be a sign of fatigue and age setting in. There are many extant questions to be answered, he wants to leave…we traded Treloar and kept part of his pay, tell me Melbourne don’t have cap issues!

We’ve given away Ginivan for less than nothing, Witts for nothing, Henry for less than what we paid for him, Grundy may have been surplus to requirements and the wrong contract but other clubs (namely Adelaide) were willing to pay more at the time…his form dipped but 600k which was his effective traded contract he should have been worth multiple first round picks. Melbourne are now in the same boat, they have to trade him. Looks like not to us because we can’t accommodate him cap wise.

Our trading history and strategy is abysmal, it’s like the philosophy is give everything and receive nothing.

In any case if you’re going to repeatedly post, try add value rather than making broad statements with no substance.
Not happy with Darcy Cameron for pick 56 and getting 62 back or turning Beams into DeGoey and Jack Crisp, Bobby Hill for a second rounder was some good business too.

He didn't do further damage.

Mainly because our players actively avoided it.

I never said he did further damage. I was talking about a hypothetical scenario where further serious damage could have been done.
You have confused yourself. Forget about your disastrous hypothetical. You speculated that the "Petracca family" might have legal action against Melbourne. Your italics above remove that possibility.

Do you understand this point?

There first needs to be a negligent act(ie. the doctor and/or others need to have been shown to have been negligent in their decision to allow Petracca to return to play)

THEN

there needs to be damage suffered because of that negligent act.

Your first sentence kills the speculation.

Seriously, if you dunno, then best not to speculate. Trotting out words like negligence and malpractice is meaningless. I'll say it again, there is no action available.

The only questionable decision was the one to let Petracca go back out onto the ground. There is nothing to say that he did any further damage during that short period of time. Game over.
Allowing him back onto the field certainly resulted in him not receiving necessary medical treatment as quickly and increased his chances of dying (although it's probably impossible to put a percentage figure on it). From a legal point of view I would probably trust your judgement.

Christian Petracca could force a trade away from Melbourne via the AFL’s grievance tribunal​

Despite Melbourne categorically saying Christian Petracca is going nowhere, there’s a way the star Demon could force their hand. JON RALPH has the story.
Jon Ralph and Jay Clark

3 min read
August 27, 2024 - 7:05PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/gb889#share-tools
aa872f95e8a90a46b599f362608e09878a525b19.jpg

AFL: Garry Lyon had a strong reaction to suggestions Christian Petracca could be traded for Harry McKay.
Christian Petracca has the option of forcing a trade from Melbourne through the AFL’s grievance tribunal as his teammates increasingly ponder life without their star match winner.
Petracca’s prolonged campaign to exit Melbourne continues, with 45 days until the end of the trade period and no end in sight as his resolve hardens to play elsewhere.
The Herald Sun can reveal there is a process through the AFL’s collective bargaining agreement where he could ask the AFL to step in to broker a trade through mediation if all attempts to convince the Demons he wants a new start fail.
Christian Petracca could force a trade away from Melbourne. Picture: Michael Klein

Christian Petracca could force a trade away from Melbourne. Picture: Michael Klein
He revealed his partner Bella was told by a doctor at 3am that morning that the brilliant Demons matchwinner might not pull through.
Melbourne believes it did nothing wrong in putting him back on the field despite four broken ribs and a lacerated spleen - and conducted a review into its own conduct - but Petracca remains aggrieved by their treatment.
The grievance tribunal is the nuclear option and has never been used before but is detailed in the AFL’s collective bargaining agreement.
The AFLPA is aware of the grievance tribunal, with some player agents in the league believing Petracca would have a case given the list of issues he has with the Demons.
The first option for Petracca would be opening up on his reasons for a trade - the club’s cultural issues, Clayton Oliver’s behaviour, the Josh Smith trafficking allegations - which could help force the club’s hand.
At a series of player gatherings across the weekend it was clear that players want more clarity over his future.
A series of Melbourne players met on Sunday night at the Botanical Hotel, with some now despairing at the damage being done to the club and aware that trading Petracca might be the right option.
Petracca’s future is up in the air. Picture: Getty Images

Petracca’s future is up in the air. Picture: Getty Images
The man widely thought to be the next captain of the football club has now done irreparable damage to his leadership aspirations.
The Melbourne star forward again asked for a trade in his exit meeting on Monday, but the Demons are adamant he is going nowhere given five years on a deal worth well over $6 million in salary obligations.
He is still processing the trauma of his injury, which put him in hospital for repeated stints but has also had a long-lasting aftermath as he comes to grips with returning to football.
He is not able to get his heartbeat up over 100 beats per minute for another month and will deal with trauma experts as he tries to work through his mental issues over a return to football.
While his camp might have hoped he could find his way to a power club like Carlton in a dal for Harry McKay that trade is not going to happen.
Carlton and McKay’s manager David Trotter on Tuesday made clear that McKay was off the table and would not be part of any discussion over Petracca’s future.
Petracca told an episode of the Howie Games podcast his partner Bella was called by a doctor while he was in hospital telling her how dire his predicament was at one stage.
Petracca on his way to hospital after the incident. Picture: Fox Sports Australia

Petracca on his way to hospital after the incident. Picture: Fox Sports Australia
Petracca broke four ribs, suffered a lacerated spleen and had a small puncture in his lung.
“This must have been 3am in the morning. I didn’t know at the time; I was drugged up,” Petracca told Mark Howard.
“Bella came to the ICU the next day and basically said that at three in the morning we got the number off the surgeon because he called to say you might not make it. He’s in critical condition. Because there was internal bleeding and everything. So (I was) in a serious and critical condition. For me, it was more that, that hit home rather than the actual injury itself. I’ll be fine physically and I’ll be able to train and get back to playing. It’s just more that piece; that the people around you feel it more than you.
“Even since then the last 6-7 weeks have been really tough on both of us. She’s been amazing for me since I first met her but just through this experience... I’ve got insomnia I feel like; to be honest, I can’t sleep.”
The Pies are hoping for this. 100%.

From that, it doesn't sound like he wants to leave - lets hope that is the case.
If Port's offer is 3 years, we could give him 2 plus a trigger for a third.
There's the money too, of course.
I think Joe is good enough to become a fixture in the side.

thats how i read it, a lot of WE talk
he has to do what is best for himself though

Exciting Collingwood small forward Joe Richards’ eagerness to play more senior AFL football could determine whether he remains in black and white next season or takes up an offer from one of three rival clubs, including Port Adelaide.

Richards, 24, has played only nine games since being drafted from Wangaratta in 2022, including last week’s final round win over Melbourne, where he had 19 disposals and kicked a goal in an impressive display.

He has a two-year offer on the table from the Magpies.

Port Adelaide is keen on enticing the forward across the border. This column understands the Power have offered him a three-year contract deal, instead of the reported four years.

Richards told Moneyball after the game that he will make a decision on his footy future in the coming weeks, having left all discussions in the hands of his manager John Meeson during the course of the season.

He says Collingwood has been so welcoming and has learnt so much from the likes of Bobby Hill and Jamie Elliott in recent seasons.

But given he is a mature-aged player, he is keen to bed down a regular senior spot in a team that has Hill, Elliott, Lachie Schultz and Beau McCreery among the small/medium forwards.

“I love the place,” Richards said of the Collingwood environment.

“I haven’t delved too much into all that yet (the contract talk), I just wanted to get back into the team first and finish off the year.

“I have left with my manager. I pretty much said I didn’t want to think about it until the end of the season.”

Richards made his AFL debut in round 9 against West Coast, kicking a goal and having 18 disposals.

He played three games in a row before suffering a foot fracture during the club’s draw with Fremantle in Perth.

“It’s been a really good learning year,” Richards said.

“It was really good to see the young guys get a run (in the last round) and do well. All we can do is put our hands up and keep working hard.

“It was good to see Ed Allan getting some reward for his efforts. The coaches backed him in and he showed what he could do.

“There are so many kids coming through. I think the future is pretty bright as we’ve still got a lot of experienced players too.”

Richards worked hard last pre-season on building up his strength and his tank, and plans to keep doing the same over the summer months, after a break in Bali.

The Magpies are keen to keep Richards, with a decision on his future to come in the next week or so.

since his debut we played him nearly every week he was available.
fair indication he'd get a decent run at it

You have confused yourself. Forget about your disastrous hypothetical. You speculated that the "Petracca family" might have legal action against Melbourne. Your italics above remove that possibility.

Do you understand this point?

There first needs to be a negligent act(ie. the doctor and/or others need to have been shown to have been negligent in their decision to allow Petracca to return to play)

THEN

there needs to be damage suffered because of that negligent act.

Your first sentence kills the speculation.

Fair enough

Has anyone even stopped to ask why we need Petracca? our midfield is fine as it is and bringing another midfielder will inevitably push out either De Goey or Mitchell. I'm just not sure what the thought process is, get a big fish for the sake of getting a big fish?

Has anyone even stopped to ask why we need Petracca? our midfield is fine as it is and bringing another midfielder will inevitably push out either De Goey or Mitchell. I'm just not sure what the thought process is, get a big fish for the sake of getting a big fish?
We don't need a 29 yo mid but IF a player of his caliber want's to come to your club you just do it if it is on your terms.

One only needs to go back through the season to see that we are shallow in the midfield. It cost us every loss we suffered. JDG is a hail Mary option these days, hasn't played a full season in years and Mitchell might be way past his best. We need at least one quality midfielder to add or we are going nowhere next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One only needs to go back through the season to see that we are shallow in the midfield. It cost us every loss we suffered. JDG is a hail Mary option these days, hasn't played a full season in years and Mitchell might be way past his best. We need at least one quality midfielder to add or we are going nowhere next year
De Goey's 2023 season was the best of his career. Not quite at HM status yet.

Petracca is an upgrade over both De Goey and Mitchell, especially the latter. I would think the logic of going after a mid in their prime when we have several ageing midfielders would be obvious.

We gave 20+ matches to Bytel, Long and Sullivan in 2024. I’d say that indicates our midfield is anything, but fine with Steele and Pendles probably going around for the last time and nothing underneath except Allan. I think the only issue with a move on Petracca is striking the balance of offence with defense. The move of Sidebottom into a negating role was fantastic late season, but as above it’s a short term fix and we need to find another that can strike that balance in a negating role on an ongoing basis.

Our midfield was one of the worst and the most frustrating part of the ground to watch this season.

Don’t know if Petracca is the answer, but I’m sure there’s many moneyball players out there that can fill the void.

Names that spring to mind are Setterfield, Hobbs, Davies, Brodie, Berry or even Parker.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You can never have too many norm Smith medallists in your team.

We gave 20+ matches to Bytel, Long and Sullivan in 2024. I’d say that indicates our midfield is anything, but fine with Steele and Pendles probably going around for the last time and nothing underneath except Allan. I think the only issue with a move on Petracca is striking the balance of offence with defense. The move of Sidebottom into a negating role was fantastic late season, but as above it’s a short term fix and we need to find another that can strike that balance in a negating role on an ongoing basis.
Spot on

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back