List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, pre injury. Nobody knows how he'll come out of this.
Physically he’ll be perfectly fine. Please don’t act like he’s got some sort of injury that will affect his performance permanently, because it’s already been established that he doesn’t.
He might change the way he approaches marking contests given what happened. Other than that it’s unlikely he’ll be any different as a player.

Hard to see Melbourne trading Petracca for a current pick 11 and one likely to be in that range or above next season.

They'd need to find another 1st round selection at a minimum (or acceptable player) and even then I'm not sure Melbourne are in the mood to show much goodwill towards Petracca.

As others have noted could they even afford Petracca without the loss of a McKay? Could we without losing some quality off our list?

They'll demand McKay plus change or two ready made best 22 players from us like a Quaynor, Hill, McCreery plus change IMO.

They'll want to hurt and weaken any club looking to do the same to them so players more than picks is probably what they'll be after IMO.
That's all true.....but Carlton still have more to trade with than we do, right? If Carlton are long-shots, we're in "name your own odds" territory.

Dreaming if you think they would accept that.
We also can't afford his salary also
Not too dissimilar from the Grundy trade. We had to accept what we could get. If Petracca wants out, then keeping a player against his will, won't help them.

My understanding is that we had money to try lure Ben King, so we should be able to fit Petracca if we were throwing big dollars at King.

Remember we are taking the risk that he may not return to the heights pre injury, but we are prepared to take on his salary in full, hence pick 20 or 26 is more than reasonable in those circumstances.

I wonder if there is a way for petracca to get afl to void his contract with Melbourne on the grounds of medical negligence, thereby turning him into a free agent
I think it’s past your bedtime buddy.

Yeah, it’s massive. Petracca is a huge player, a champion.

The prospect of him choosing us as his preferred destination is the biggest story since Buckley came to us from Brisbane.
Except Buckley was fit and healthy.

Yeah, it’s massive. Petracca is a huge player, a champion.

The prospect of him choosing us as his preferred destination is the biggest story since Buckley came to us from Brisbane.
What about Patrick Karnesis?

And keeping in mind most of these darts are landing on the clubs they support.
Morris is a Melbourne supporter so it’s likely he’s being fed Carlton stuff because that’s obviously where the demons want him to choose.

You seem pretty fixed on this view of Petracca being broken.

I reckon that is really wrong.

Petracca is a top ten player in the whole comp. Absolute gun.
Wrong tense jmac.

Was a top ten player. Now he’s a risk.

We have consistently beaten Melbourne in spite of their much hyped midfield and legendary ruck man. Trac was never the difference in spite of his obvious match winning talent. I'd never want to rip heart and soul players out of our club to bring in a player from another club.

The addition of the champion may well be cancelled out by the sense of loss and betrayal by the players. I'm referring to those who mention Degoey, Bobby Hill and even Darcy Cameron. It's insane. I'd much rather chase the players mentioned by others who are young and hungry and looking for a fresh start.
100% right Domus. Petracca is 4 from 13 against the Pies.

Trac wants to come to us and won't publicly say it until it is agreed to in principle. Regarding his health, he will be fine, it will take some time though, but he is being ultra conservative. Clearly, his relationships have broken down with key people at Melbourne, and now some players as well.

I think it is time to get creative. We are in the flag window, and JDG wins you flags, so I wouldn't trade him out, I would get him leaner and fitter, he always delivers when it matters.

Out of those I would trade, IQ, Bobby Hill and Beau are the ones who have currency, and would need to involve other clubs, and someone willing to go to Melbourne. IQ is the one out of those three we have trouble covering, Hill has X factor that is rare, but I would trade him if he was keen to leave, and then that leaves Beau as the one I would explore to see if he is keen to go back home to SA, or another club if that is not an option.

McRae was just saying what everyone thinks the other day, we have no capital and can't do it, of course that is what he is going to say, until Trac comes out and declares he wants to come to us. Anything is doable, you just have to be ruthless and decide if you want to win flags, or just make up the numbers. If we were to get pearling and/or Davies, that is going to help our future no doubt, we need to regenerate and we have already stated the draft is not how we are going to do it.

So the question the club will be weighing up is the risk worth it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, they were going for Barras AND Battle but the latter might stay put in which case they've got the money for Trac, just need to come up with the picks. And on that score, they've got a 2024 first rounder, so that's more that we have.
You do understand that they don’t have a 2024 first rounder to offer right? Do you think that they’re getting Barass for a coke and packet of twisties?

Not too dissimilar from the Grundy trade. We had to accept what we could get. If Petracca wants out, then keeping a player against his will, won't help them.

My understanding is that we had money to try lure Ben King, so we should be able to fit Petracca if we were throwing big dollars at King.

Remember we are taking the risk that he may not return to the heights pre injury, but we are prepared to take on his salary in full, hence pick 20 or 26 is more than reasonable in those circumstances.
Very different
Dees arent under a salary cap situation. They arent pushing him out. They refuse to trade him.
Lets not compare the two situations.

Trading DeGoey for Petracca is a ridiculous idea. It's barely an upgrade. For Petracca to really elevate us to Premiership contender, we need DeGoey beside him.

Trading one A-grader for another adds nothing. Trading some B-graders and picks for an A-grader could add greatly.

Last edited:
Very different
Dees arent under a salary cap situation. They arent pushing him out. They refuse to trade him.
Lets not compare the two situations.
True. But why pay a player, who doesn't want to be there, well over $1M a year?

Do you really think he will give his all if he is not invested?

Dees aren't pushing him out, but he doesn't want to be there.

True. But why pay a player, who doesn't want to be there, well over $1M a year?

Do you really think he will give his all if he is not invested?

Dees aren't pushing him out, but he doesn't want to be there.
He's a professional. Players have tried to leave before and if it doesn't happen, they have gone back and given it their all.
Footy moves on.

I just don't see how anyone can make it work.

Morris is a Melbourne supporter so it’s likely he’s being fed Carlton stuff because that’s obviously where the demons want him to choose.
Blues stars aren't heading to Melb. They won't have good enough picks.

If Petracca really wants out, he should head to North who have the picks and have been after a senior player and are surely set to rise with those kids - could be really quickly if you add in Petracca.

I think it’s past your bedtime buddy.
Sports law is a complicated area. There are lots of nuances and intricacies that are baked into terms in sporting contracts, you would be extremely foolish to think mechanisms based on breach of duty of care aren't part of standard sporting contracts. Especially in today's sporting climate, where there has been a serious increase in past players suing clubs for medical negligence.

You do understand that they don’t have a 2024 first rounder to offer right? Do you think that they’re getting Barass for a coke and packet of twisties?
Presently the Hawks have a 2024 first rounder and a 2025 first rounder. We only have the latter and apparently we may need that (or to split it) to get young McGuane. So yes, they have more picks to play with than us, even if one of their first rounders is committed to West Coast.

And if Battle doesn't move, the money ear-marked for him is suddenly freed-up.

And, if it came to it, they've also got more desirable young players to package up in a trade deal than we do.

So, in what way do you think we have more to offer MFC to clinch a deal than Hawthorn?

Sports law is a complicated area. There are lots of nuances and intricacies that are baked into terms in sporting contracts, you would be extremely foolish to think mechanisms based on breach of duty of care aren't part of standard sporting contracts. Especially in today's sporting climate, where there has been a serious increase in past players suing clubs for medical negligence.
That may be the case though I don’t think a negligence / breach of duty of care case would get up. Given what’s come out about his injury it may well change the approach taken by club doctors/AFL towards rib injuries much like the the change across the industry towards concussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back