List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes, I see. Apologies. Will be 34 after it expires in Jan.

That's not too bad about average age of AFL retirement.

Doubt you are getting his best 1 million plus best at 33 but, hey.

I still wouldn't offer more then a F1 and a 2nd rounder.
It would depend how it’s structured. In 2029 with the stratospheric rise of the salary cap and what he’s currently producing $1m will be a bargain, but you get to far beyond that and you may need to consider re-contracting him in say 2027 or 2028 to smooth it out a bit. End of the day the contract will be fair on a top 5-10 player in the league and the question is does that deal get it done? Definitely not, IMO.

Why on earth would TDK want to go to the basket case that is MFC, especially when he can stay put on big money and and contend for Premierships?

Nobody in their prime will willingly move the MFC. Look how quickly Houston withdrew his interest.

The only players likely to go to MFC would be former guns like Caleb Daniel, Jack Macrae and Luke Parker, who are on the slide at their clubs but wanting to continue playing.

For that reason, I continue to believe that Richmond are in the box seat. They don't have to convince any players to move - they will have first and second round draft picks galore. No other team can come close to matching what the Tigers can offer MFC for a Petracca trade. And if it really drags out near the deadline, he might just cave in and agree.
For TDK, I agree an extra $200k per year or whatever it may be will not make up for the shitshow he’d be moving to.
Regarding Richmond, I tend to think Petracca will stay put and try to be traded to the Pies in 12mths time rather than play in front of small crowds of 20k and get smashed every week for the remainder of his career.

Just offering my two cents, but this little tidbit about John Noble from Cal Twomey to me speaks volumes about the difference in character between Noble and someone like Ginnivan.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Your two cents worth on John Noble is like gold PS. Nothing but respect for JFN.

Article by Jake Niall in Todays Age:
It began as an injury sustained in a contest on King’s Birthday public holiday that wounded Christian Petracca, physically and psychologically.

Like a boulder hurtling down the mountain, the destructive momentum from Petracca’s injury has gathered so much velocity that if it is not halted, it could demolish the Melbourne hierarchy.

Petracca has become a political problem for the Demons.

For Melbourne people – and plenty of well-connected supporters – the 2024 season has been an utter debacle, undone by Clayton Oliver’s issues and subsequent struggles on the field, by the constant questioning of the playing culture wrought by the Joel Smith drug investigation, by the untimely Angus Brayshaw retirement and now by Petracca’s winter of discontent and wish to be traded.

Petracca’s disgruntlement is more injurious to the Melbourne leadership – headed by president Kate Roffey and chief executive Gary Pert – than Oliver’s travails or the Smith schemozzle.

Roffey went on SEN to slow the boulder on Thursday morning as it hurtled towards the village, but succeeded only in putting herself more firmly in its path, despite protesting that the Demons “love ‘Trac’” and that they were mindful of his suffering post King’s Birthday.

Even if there were good reasons why she hadn’t talked to him, Roffey’s admission that she had not spoken to Petracca or his family was the major takeout for listeners. In political terms, a text message does not suffice when you’re the president.

“I don’t think it’s a stand-off,” said Roffey of the discord between player and club.

Oliver’s issues are viewed, rightly, as largely about Clayton – and he is said to be much healthier now. But for various reasons – not least the lack of a rigorous pre-season preparation – he had a poor season on the field. The hope is that this can be rectified over summer.

The Petracca problem, conversely, has become more about Melbourne and how they have handled a player who, at his best, ranks among the top half dozen in the competition.

Petracca might be self-focused. Many elite players are akin to tennis players or golfers in their drive for excellence and self-fulfilment. He might be more brand-aware – and a much better cook – than most footballers.

But he is also a thorough professional, with no history of mucking up – he wasn’t on either end of a punch outside Entrecote restaurant in 2022, or on the end of one of Smith’s text messages.

If he feels that club people – with some exceptions – did not show him sufficient care after his horrible injury on King’s Birthday, then the club hierarchy must take ownership of that, apologise and take whatever steps they can – bring in a mediator if necessary – to repair a fractured relationship.

Or they can trade him.

The latter option would be the normal course of events, given that Petracca has made plain that he wants out. Richmond are not likely to stop Shai Bolton or Daniel Rioli from finding new clubs. It will simply be about what they can get and it would be surprising if Fremantle and Gold Coast didn’t cough up the necessary draft return.

But a potential Petracca trade has a far higher degree of difficulty – it has a triple pike, in comparison with Bolton and Rioli.

Melbourne’s preference will be for players who can help the Demons now, rather than draft picks, given that Max Gawn is in his twilight, Steven May is past 30 and Jake Lever 28.

Petracca, unfortunately, has a preference for playing on Broadway, namely at Carlton or Collingwood. This limits the scope for a trade that can satisfy the Demons, who face a destabilising fallout from their fans if they accept anything less than full-tote odds in return.

Collingwood, whom Petracca followed growing up (and he has a relationship with Scott Pendlebury), have no draft capital to spend. If they were willing to put up Jordan De Goey as part of a Petracca trade (De Goey plus someone or a pick), there’s little chance of De Goey agreeing to join the Demons in their present dishevelled state.

The same applies to Carlton’s Harry McKay or Tom De Koning. Melbourne, if they are honest, would know that their prospects of attracting A-listers right now is slim.

Carlton would have to persuade McKay to go to Melbourne. A hard ask, at this troubled time.

Were Petracca willing to go to, say, St Kilda or Gold Coast, and Melbourne were open to gathering high-end draft picks, then a trade would be far more feasible. Ditto for Adelaide.

Petracca’s management, clearly, will try to cook up a deal. Petracca’s wishes for Broadway – big crowds etc – narrows the choices.

The Blues might be better placed to throw up something vaguely tempting once their season is done. But since AFL clubs cannot compel players to be traded, against their wishes, the deal is a fair chance to be stopped in its Trac, so to speak.

The only other hope for Petracca to escape from Melbourne, perhaps, lies in his teammates – if the senior leaders tell the hierarchy that they don’t want someone who doesn’t want to be there.

Shultz would never have made it out of last trade period....let alone another year.

The vitriol from other Vic clubs when they found out he wanted to come home meant if we didn't do the deal....someone else 100% would have.

He wanted to come home. If we don't do a deal, he would have gone to another Vic club.

So the "wait a year" is moot.....
Spot on

Don’t care who we bring in as long as when they put on the black and white jumper, they help us get back the holy land in 2025!

Regarding Trac discussion, I think it all comes down to who ends up having the “power” here. If Trac can maintain the power ie over the contact ( however that plays out), then all pies need to do is ensure that he nominates us. If this is to occur, nothing more than F1 and a reef type trade is needed and that is the most I would be putting on table.

If it does boil down to Melbourne holding all the cards, then I would not be caving in and putting guys like Cameron, JDG Hill, IQ, Beau F 1 etc on the table at all and although would suck, would move on.

There is a point in time where you need to be firm and strong in negotiations and I think we need to get some “balls” back in this area.

Shultz would never have made it out of last trade period....let alone another year.

The vitriol from other Vic clubs when they found out he wanted to come home meant if we didn't do the deal....someone else 100% would have.

He wanted to come home. If we don't do a deal, he would have gone to another Vic club.

So the "wait a year" is moot.....
nah, disagree, totally relevant.

It's possible he goes to another Vic club - sure, that's how an open market works - but we came in "late" and "he'd already had discussions with 4 or 5 other clubs".

The 'wait a year' which then makes him OOC & UFA is one of the factors that determines value or price. Clearly, the other 4 or 5 clubs were not prepared to pay 2nd round + future 1st. Freo, on the other hand, were weighing up whatever current offers came their way vs the reality of losing him for nothing in 12 mths time.

"The Magpies recruit’s manager also revealed they’d had discussions with “four or five” other clubs plus inquires from two non-Victorian sides that had interest in Schultz during the season."

Collingwood came up really late in the piece. Post grand final, Graham Wright and I had a conversation. We’d been in touch along the way but it really started to seem like it was something they could do.

Is it just me or is the disparity the media and even some of our fans show between de goey and Petracca completely disrespectful to JDG?

I’m sorry, in no world does JDG for TRAC require us to include anything significantly extra in terms of player or pick.

JDG is a proven big game, finals performing player whom is loved by all his team mates and has delivered for the club in the very biggest moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah, disagree, totally relevant.

It's possible he goes to another Vic club - sure, that's how an open market works - but we came in "late" and "he'd already had discussions with 4 or 5 other clubs".

The 'wait a year' which then makes him OOC & UFA is one of the factors that determines value or price. Clearly, the other 4 or 5 clubs were not prepared to pay 2nd round + future 1st. Freo, on the other hand, were weighing up whatever current offers came their way vs the reality of losing him for nothing in 12 mths time.

"The Magpies recruit’s manager also revealed they’d had discussions with “four or five” other clubs plus inquires from two non-Victorian sides that had interest in Schultz during the season."

Collingwood came up really late in the piece. Post grand final, Graham Wright and I had a conversation. We’d been in touch along the way but it really started to seem like it was something they could do.
Please don’t derail this thread. Make a thread where you can complain about and discuss the trade for the next 4 years and spare the rest of us.

This is for 2024 trades.

Why? Because if a team wants Petracca then this is the type of player it is going to cost.

Sure….but the player can’t be forced to go to MFC, which presently resembles a dumpster fire.

I think MFC will only be able to secure draft picks, not players, in return for Petracca. Seriously, nobody any good would want and agree to go there!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Please don’t derail this thread. Make a thread where you can complain about and discuss the trade for the next 4 years and spare the rest of us.

This is for 2024 trades.
maybe you struggle to follow

here you go, the original post & response.

Our best hope is Petracca simply nominating Collingwood and Collingwood only, saves anyone trying to outbid us.

But Carlton surely cannot afford him without giving away one of their top 5 players, there is no way they could have those top name players on the books and have a spare 1.5 million in the cap…

But as most people say, none of them are going to agree to be traded to Melbourne, but there’s always the risk Carlton can offload one elsewhere to free up the space and get in some trade currency.

So we need Trac to say, I want to go to Collingwood and hopefully it happens close to the trade period.

I'm sure Melbourne went knocking for McKay last year when there was a chance Clayton Oliver was going to be forced elsewhere.

I'm hopeful that's the only thing making these Carlton journos hope they can get Petracca with that carrot.

I still refuse to believe Petracca's family will let him go to that club.

Genuinely curious - what is the appeal for people throwing up hypothetical proposed trades?
I don't mean any offence but I don't get it.
To me it seems like having a conversation guessing the price of items in a shopping catalogue
It obviously has some appeal because people even ring up the radio with totally concocted trade fantasies

Our best hope is Petracca simply nominating Collingwood and Collingwood only, saves anyone trying to outbid us.

But Carlton surely cannot afford him without giving away one of their top 5 players, there is no way they could have those top name players on the books and have a spare 1.5 million in the cap…

But as most people say, none of them are going to agree to be traded to Melbourne, but there’s always the risk Carlton can offload one elsewhere to free up the space and get in some trade currency.

So we need Trac to say, I want to go to Collingwood and hopefully it happens close to the trade period.
If you think carlton can't do it without trading a big player, then the same applies to us.
No player will risk nominating a club unless they think a deal can be done. And all signs point to no, unless we unload jordy.
We dont have the picks, and if you're not willing to use big players, then there is no point going down that path.

If they had bought in trading 2 years in the future this year, there could have bee a way. Or if this was next year, it opens up a possibility. But thats not the case

If you think carlton can't do it without trading a big player, then the same applies to us.
No player will risk nominating a club unless they think a deal can be done. And all signs point to no, unless we unload jordy.
We dont have the picks, and if you're not willing to use big players, then there is no point going down that path.

If they had bought in trading 2 years in the future this year, there could have bee a way. Or if this was next year, it opens up a possibility. But thats not the case
Jordy going to dees would end up like when Mick McGuane went to the blues.

Is it just me or is the disparity the media and even some of our fans show between de goey and Petracca completely disrespectful to JDG?

I’m sorry, in no world does JDG for TRAC require us to include anything significantly extra in terms of player or pick.

JDG is a proven big game, finals performing player whom is loved by all his team mates and has delivered for the club in the very biggest moments.
100%
It also shows an ignorance of the purpose of trading. Why would you trade for something you basically already have?
Secondly, it shows the short memories of some people. In a short space of time Collingwood has traded out Adams, Grundy and Treloar. The latter was particularly gut wrenching for fans and players too, I'd imagine.

If trac nominates us
We will do everything we can to make it work. Has there been any player nominated club that hasn’t been pulled off?
I doubt anyone wants to go to melb so I agree with the picks only and maybe a fringe for more opportunities
They won’t get a big name in return

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back