List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is this speculation about Cameron coming from?

Is that something that was cooked up in this thread?
Yes. One poster suggested it.

Idea was to get yourself a whiz bang midfield whilst trading out your (almost) AA ruckman.

I'm sure Cameron would love to go Melbourne & get the treatment Grundy got 🙄

This Trac stuff has become so tiresome. I'm hoping he just stays at Melbourne.

Article by Jake Niall in Todays Age:
It began as an injury sustained in a contest on King’s Birthday public holiday that wounded Christian Petracca, physically and psychologically.

Like a boulder hurtling down the mountain, the destructive momentum from Petracca’s injury has gathered so much velocity that if it is not halted, it could demolish the Melbourne hierarchy.

Petracca has become a political problem for the Demons.

For Melbourne people – and plenty of well-connected supporters – the 2024 season has been an utter debacle, undone by Clayton Oliver’s issues and subsequent struggles on the field, by the constant questioning of the playing culture wrought by the Joel Smith drug investigation, by the untimely Angus Brayshaw retirement and now by Petracca’s winter of discontent and wish to be traded.

Petracca’s disgruntlement is more injurious to the Melbourne leadership – headed by president Kate Roffey and chief executive Gary Pert – than Oliver’s travails or the Smith schemozzle.

Roffey went on SEN to slow the boulder on Thursday morning as it hurtled towards the village, but succeeded only in putting herself more firmly in its path, despite protesting that the Demons “love ‘Trac’” and that they were mindful of his suffering post King’s Birthday.

Even if there were good reasons why she hadn’t talked to him, Roffey’s admission that she had not spoken to Petracca or his family was the major takeout for listeners. In political terms, a text message does not suffice when you’re the president.

“I don’t think it’s a stand-off,” said Roffey of the discord between player and club.

Oliver’s issues are viewed, rightly, as largely about Clayton – and he is said to be much healthier now. But for various reasons – not least the lack of a rigorous pre-season preparation – he had a poor season on the field. The hope is that this can be rectified over summer.

The Petracca problem, conversely, has become more about Melbourne and how they have handled a player who, at his best, ranks among the top half dozen in the competition.

Petracca might be self-focused. Many elite players are akin to tennis players or golfers in their drive for excellence and self-fulfilment. He might be more brand-aware – and a much better cook – than most footballers.

But he is also a thorough professional, with no history of mucking up – he wasn’t on either end of a punch outside Entrecote restaurant in 2022, or on the end of one of Smith’s text messages.

If he feels that club people – with some exceptions – did not show him sufficient care after his horrible injury on King’s Birthday, then the club hierarchy must take ownership of that, apologise and take whatever steps they can – bring in a mediator if necessary – to repair a fractured relationship.

Or they can trade him.

The latter option would be the normal course of events, given that Petracca has made plain that he wants out. Richmond are not likely to stop Shai Bolton or Daniel Rioli from finding new clubs. It will simply be about what they can get and it would be surprising if Fremantle and Gold Coast didn’t cough up the necessary draft return.

But a potential Petracca trade has a far higher degree of difficulty – it has a triple pike, in comparison with Bolton and Rioli.

Melbourne’s preference will be for players who can help the Demons now, rather than draft picks, given that Max Gawn is in his twilight, Steven May is past 30 and Jake Lever 28.

Petracca, unfortunately, has a preference for playing on Broadway, namely at Carlton or Collingwood. This limits the scope for a trade that can satisfy the Demons, who face a destabilising fallout from their fans if they accept anything less than full-tote odds in return.

Collingwood, whom Petracca followed growing up (and he has a relationship with Scott Pendlebury), have no draft capital to spend. If they were willing to put up Jordan De Goey as part of a Petracca trade (De Goey plus someone or a pick), there’s little chance of De Goey agreeing to join the Demons in their present dishevelled state.

The same applies to Carlton’s Harry McKay or Tom De Koning. Melbourne, if they are honest, would know that their prospects of attracting A-listers right now is slim.

Carlton would have to persuade McKay to go to Melbourne. A hard ask, at this troubled time.

Were Petracca willing to go to, say, St Kilda or Gold Coast, and Melbourne were open to gathering high-end draft picks, then a trade would be far more feasible. Ditto for Adelaide.

Petracca’s management, clearly, will try to cook up a deal. Petracca’s wishes for Broadway – big crowds etc – narrows the choices.

The Blues might be better placed to throw up something vaguely tempting once their season is done. But since AFL clubs cannot compel players to be traded, against their wishes, the deal is a fair chance to be stopped in its Trac, so to speak.

The only other hope for Petracca to escape from Melbourne, perhaps, lies in his teammates – if the senior leaders tell the hierarchy that they don’t want someone who doesn’t want to be there.
Melbourne's on the nose position just makes it so hard to see what deal would work.

Their list means they need players not picks. But whose going to go to the Dees at the moment? With Clarry and Viney, they could afford to lose him and it might even be a good thing if they could attract quality in an area of need like talk forward or outside runners and users. But that's not going to happen.

They're in a terrible position and have to try to woo him back.

In all seriousness though. Big player moves in recent times; Jeremy Cameron, Dangerfield, Gary Ablett Junior, Buddy Franklin and then nothing for a while before Judd.

Probably missed a few?

Petracca is way up there with those guys. Even if he is 28 or whatever he is!

If trac nominates us
We will do everything we can to make it work. Has there been any player nominated club that hasn’t been pulled off?
I doubt anyone wants to go to melb so I agree with the picks only and maybe a fringe for more opportunities
They won’t get a big name in return
With contracted players, there's been 1 most years recently who hasn't been traded. Hill, Daniher, Dunkley the recent ones off the top of my head. Uncontacted guys get what they want - usually.

If trac nominates us
We will do everything we can to make it work. Has there been any player nominated club that hasn’t been pulled off?
I doubt anyone wants to go to melb so I agree with the picks only and maybe a fringe for more opportunities
They won’t get a big name in return
Plenty. At least the first time.
Tim Kelly. Dunkley. Lobb. Hill in the last couple years.
Clubs aren't afraid to hold players. But the tension around this one is a bit different.
I think they'll work through their issues, and he'll stay. Whether he tries again next year is another question and dependant on what happens at the club.

Plenty. At least the first time.
Tim Kelly. Dunkley. Lobb. Hill in the last couple years.
Clubs aren't afraid to hold players. But the tension around this one is a bit different.
I think they'll work through their issues, and he'll stay. Whether he tries again next year is another question and dependant on what happens at the club.

I've come around to that too - don't think Melbourne have any other choice, but to try to make it work with Petracca - going to have to change the approach big time - judging by the shit they're putting out in the media.

They're not going to attract players to get back in trade and there list is in a flag window and want players and not picks. No deal for Petracca is going to get close to what he's worth for them.

.....Whether he tries again next year is another question and dependant on what happens at the club
When he'll be a year older and there'll be pretty good evidence as to how he's recovered from his (severe) injury.

If you think carlton can't do it without trading a big player, then the same applies to us.
No player will risk nominating a club unless they think a deal can be done. And all signs point to no, unless we unload jordy.
We dont have the picks, and if you're not willing to use big players, then there is no point going down that path.

If they had bought in trading 2 years in the future this year, there could have bee a way. Or if this was next year, it opens up a possibility. But thats not the case
Let’s see what we get for Noble and Richards first before making this claim.

Feel like Melbourne have to go the way of Grundy/ Treloar , offload for next to nothing, wonder if even to the extreme of paying part of his salary. I dont think its viable for Petracca to go back if the players are voicing they dont want him , Melbourne admin arent coming part way to admittance of a poorly handled situation, Garry Lyon lashing Petracca publicly.

Doesnt seem tenable with the damage done through media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think carlton can't do it without trading a big player, then the same applies to us.
No player will risk nominating a club unless they think a deal can be done. And all signs point to no, unless we unload jordy.
We dont have the picks, and if you're not willing to use big players, then there is no point going down that path.

If they had bought in trading 2 years in the future this year, there could have bee a way. Or if this was next year, it opens up a possibility. But thats not the case

No, we’re talking 2 completely separate points, salary cap and trade currency.

There is no way Carlton has the cap space where as Collingwood does.

CP was an interesting listen on the Howie games podcast. The mental scars are the things he’s probably struggling with the most. He sees things that trigger his memory of the incident/issue. Is seeing Darcy Moore every day going to be helpful to him?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sure….but the player can’t be forced to go to MFC, which presently resembles a dumpster fire.

I think MFC will only be able to secure draft picks, not players, in return for Petracca. Seriously, nobody any good would want and agree to go there!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I agree with you. Melbourne are after a KPF or a Ruck/Forward that can play now as they see themselves as still being in the Premiership window (who are they kidding). All I am stating that a De Koning is the sort of player is will take to get them interested. I do not believe any senior AFL player will go there whilst Roffey, Pert & Goodwin are in charge. The Leadership Group at this club is in denial

Is it just me or is the disparity the media and even some of our fans show between de goey and Petracca completely disrespectful to JDG?

I’m sorry, in no world does JDG for TRAC require us to include anything significantly extra in terms of player or pick.

JDG is a proven big game, finals performing player whom is loved by all his team mates and has delivered for the club in the very biggest moments.
Agree, I'd say there's even a similar element of risk over both players. Funny how some guys get better the more they miss, some guys get worse.

I've come around to that too - don't think Melbourne have any other choice, but to try to make it work with Petracca - going to have to change the approach big time - judging by the shit they're putting out in the media.

They're not going to attract players to get back in trade and there list is in a flag window and want players and not picks. No deal for Petracca is going to get close to what he's worth for them.
The only problem with that theory is Trac wants half the leadership and coach out of the joint.

In all seriousness though. Big player moves in recent times; Jeremy Cameron, Dangerfield, Gary Ablett Junior, Buddy Franklin and then nothing for a while before Judd.

Probably missed a few?

Petracca is way up there with those guys. Even if he is 28 or whatever he is!

Let's hope we can pull off a Jedi mind trick of a trade like the Jeremy Cameron one. Lots of moving parts and ranting and raving about how ''it's 3 first-rounders!'' but in the end the trade was net draft pick ... No.11!

Or at least that's what the trade boffins tell me

Our best hope is Petracca simply nominating Collingwood and Collingwood only, saves anyone trying to outbid us.

But Carlton surely cannot afford him without giving away one of their top 5 players, there is no way they could have those top name players on the books and have a spare 1.5 million in the cap…

But as most people say, none of them are going to agree to be traded to Melbourne, but there’s always the risk Carlton can offload one elsewhere to free up the space and get in some trade currency.

So we need Trac to say, I want to go to Collingwood and hopefully it happens close to the trade period.
Yes... and then what? How do we get him without giving away one of our best 5 players? Melbourne has stated they want a KPF, not draft picks.

I'm sure Melbourne went knocking for McKay last year when there was a chance Clayton Oliver was going to be forced elsewhere.

I'm hopeful that's the only thing making these Carlton journos hope they can get Petracca with that carrot.

I still refuse to believe Petracca's family will let him go to that club.
Niall’s article was spot on in that no player of quality would agree to going to Melbourne in its current state. There’s a reason Huston is now looking at StKilda (lol) instead of the Demons.

That being the case, if Melbourne have to settle for picks then Carlton are unfortunately better placed than we are, unless we can miraculously cook up a deal that gets us 13 from GC.

Niall’s article was spot on in that no player of quality would agree to going to Melbourne in its current state. There’s a reason Huston is now looking at StKilda (lol) instead of the Demons.

That being the case, if Melbourne have to settle for picks then Carlton are unfortunately better placed than we are, unless we can miraculously cook up a deal that gets us 13 from GC.
On Adelaide radio this morning Houston said he’s staying put.

Edit. Changed out to PUT.

Last edited:
Yes... and then what? How do we get him without giving away one of our best 5 players? Melbourne has stated they want a KPF, not draft picks.
Nominating us is the majority of the battle one. He’s not nominating a club without a certain degree of confidence a deal can be done which would already have been discussed behind closed doors between his management and the two clubs he’ll look to get to.

Sounds like we couldn’t afford or didn’t want to pay his whole salary.

6ce4521008d4cc1cda1e479df7e32cba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back