List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Niall’s article was spot on in that no player of quality would agree to going to Melbourne in its current state. There’s a reason Huston is now looking at StKilda (lol) instead of the Demons.

That being the case, if Melbourne have to settle for picks then Carlton are unfortunately better placed than we are, unless we can miraculously cook up a deal that gets us 13 from GC.
Irrespective of any other deal....i really hope we go after this.

Whether we use it on a trade or at the draft, getting 13 gives us so many options.

I'd be annoyed if we just settled for 26 or 34 (or some other mid range pick) and didn't legit ask some questions around how to make 26/34 = 13.

In all seriousness though. Big player moves in recent times; Jeremy Cameron, Dangerfield, Gary Ablett Junior, Buddy Franklin and then nothing for a while before Judd.

Probably missed a few?

Petracca is way up there with those guys. Even if he is 28 or whatever he is!

He will be 29 in January. You're trading in a 29yo coming off a major injury that is self admitted to having insomnia and ptsd over the thought he was not gonna wake up out of the ICU.

Who knows how this will effect the physical side of his game due to mental state.
Ie taking and giving contact esp in a final will he be willing to be crunched and risk being in the same position again?

A different reporter a different context. I took Ralph's comments yesterday as we could cover the back-ended contract but we knocked it back because we were hoping it was a salary dump with a 1st round pick attached (ala Bowes). We were not after Lukosius per se but the pick.

However this reporter is saying something completely different. He inferred we were after Lukosius but we couldn't take on his full contract & hoped that GC would stump up some of his contract (no mention of a pick).
You know he is Crows #1 fan right?

So of course this is reported through a "Go Crows" lens!

Players have nominated clubs before unsure if the deal can be done, how do think B.Hill is a Pie and not a Bomber right now.

C.McCarthy rip had to wait out a year to go to freo but nominated them originally.

Petracca if he REALLY wants to be a pie has a genuine chat with our coach and list management team about what they are prepared to put up as a reasonable trade to get it down before they walk.
Petracca then understands where the line is and he may or may not get it done depending on Melbourne's stubbornness.

He then goes okay I'll do my bit and try help with nominating Pies alone and leak rumours ofwilling to walk away if not or other "news" of why he wants out keep media pressure on Melbourne to deal. Potentially seek arbitration.

Pies need to hold firm and be actually willing to walk from the deal.
This is something we appear to have lost at the trade table for a decade that in the end we can walk.
This is not just another unhappy player wanting to go to a new Club.
It’s a player who genuinely believes he almost died due to mismanagement by the Club.
So I think he would dictate where he wants to go, without having spoken about deal specifics with the destination Club, and if he had it would be a deal favouring the destination Club and not Melb.

Given the circumstances, I don’t think he feels that neither he or his family owe anything to Melb.

Dan Houston has categorically said he won't be leaving Port.

Haha edit..

Sandra Sully with the late news over here

With what, 6 weeks(?) to go before trade period, i actually think this will snowball into being the catalyst for change at Melb.

The supporters etc are completely disgruntled with the management.....its not like its been only recently that this has off field stuff has cropped up.
It's been ongoing for multiple years.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the club removes the leadership (and coach) in favor of keeping their players.

That's how bad i think it'll get.
IMO this runs the risk of overshadowing the finals if it continues to spiral at the speed it has over the past week.
Especially if its all non Vic and/or small supporter base teams left.

Gawn wants to be the main man.

Dees need a kpf who can help in the ruck. Not a ruckman who can help out in the forward line, which would be Cameron.

Anyway it's a dumb idea for us too. We're not giving up our number 1 ruck man.
Yet they won a premiership with Jackson, who is very much a ruckman who can also play a role in the forward line.
In a Gawn/Cameron scenario you’d very much expect Gawn to still be the main man with Cameron playing a similar role to Cox with us (albeit probably much better). Cameron’s contested marking ability would be extremely valued in a Melbourne forward line well known for haphazardly bombing in to contests rather than finding targets on the lead.

Regardless though, it’s not going to happen and hardly worth getting upset over. But it was honestly not as bad of a suggestion as you’re making it out to be, because in that scenario we could always acquire a Soldo type cheaply enough to work in tandem with Cox while Steene, Smit and (hopefully) Condon develop.

It’s definitely not the worst suggestion I’ve seen on this board over the journey.

Last edited:
Morris is a Melbourne supporter so it’s likely he’s being fed Carlton stuff because that’s obviously where the demons want him to choose.

I've heard Morris state that the Dees actually dislike him or there was a falling out when he worked there years ago. Jesse Hogan tweeted something about it a few years ago.

He's a far better journo than McClure and he was the first one on to the whole Trac wanting out of the Dees story.

No, that's too much. Would they consider Richards + pick 20 if we could get that from GCS for John Noble?
Would you accept that if Houston played for us? AA defender. Pick 20 will be mid 20’s. So AA defender straight swap for Richard’s and a pick that might find a decent player who’s good in 3 years.

A different reporter a different context. I took Ralph's comments yesterday as we could cover the back-ended contract but we knocked it back because we were hoping it was a salary dump with a 1st round pick attached (ala Bowes). We were not after Lukosius per se but the pick.

However this reporter is saying something completely different. He inferred we were after Lukosius but we couldn't take on his full contract & hoped that GC would stump up some of his contract (no mention of a pick).
It’s probably a combo of both tbh. Wouldn’t be surprised if we said “ok, we’ll take his whole salary off your books if he comes along with pick 13, or we’ll give you 34 for him if you pay $400k of his salary per year for the duration of his current deal”.

I’d say they baulked at that because they believe they can get Adelaide to take on his whole salary without adding an incentive.

It’s a shame because I’d say in the first scenario we were trying to position ourselves for an offer for Petracca.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet they won a premiership with Jackson, who is very much a ruckman who can also play a role in the forward line.
In a Gawn/Cameron scenario you’d very much expect Gawn to still be the main man with Cameron playing a similar role to Cox with us (albeit probably much better). Cameron’s contested marking ability would be extremely valued in a Melbourne forward line well known for haphazardly bombing in to contests rather than finding targets on the lead.

Regardless though, it’s not going to happen and hardly worth getting upset over. But it was honestly not as bad of a suggestion as you’re making it out to be, because in that scenario we could always acquire a Soldo type cheaply enough to work in tandem with Cox while Steene, Smit and (hopefully) Condon develop.

It’s definitely not even close to the worst suggestion I’ve seen on this board over the years.

It’s definitely not the worst suggestion I’ve seen on this board over the journey.
It helps Dees more than it helps us, imo.

That's why I think it's one of the worst suggestions.

And do you know, categorically, that Petracca has no mental health issues arising from his near-death injury and v.slow recovery, the trauma it caused his loved ones, the collapse of relationships at his workplace and the intense media scrutiny?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you’re confusing a person with an apparent long term mental health battle with someone going through a rough patch. There is nothing in what we do know of Petracca that suggests he’ll experience longer term impacts from what he’s going through, especially given the level of support he seems to be getting outside the MFC.

I've heard Morris state that the Dees actually dislike him or there was a falling out when he worked there years ago. Jesse Hogan tweeted something about it a few years ago.

He's a far better journo than McClure and he was the first one on to the whole Trac wanting out of the Dees story.
I mean, being better than McClure is a pretty bloody low bar…

Trac isn't that important to us. He's an upgrade, but not by enough to be the difference, and certainly not with the risk attached and his current contract. Offer what we can realistically afford that won't potentially implode our club, likely a future first + Mitchell + fringe player (Macrae/Richards) on the condition that they pay some of his salary and move on if they don't accept it.

The Demons aren't competing for a premiership soon with their current issues and list. We'd only be helping them and hurting us if we paid Trac what he was worth one year ago instead of what he is worth today. They certainly didn't help us with the Grundy trade.

Legit question.

Are you allowed to de-list and re-rookie a player who has already been on the rookie list (and elevated)?

Wracking my brain trying to think about where it has happened before (at any club).
Don't know of any list rule that says you can't.....but also don't know of it happening before.

Anyone know of any precedence here?

Isn’t this what happened to Josh Battle? It then meant he is UFA when his contract was up because he was technically delisted.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isn’t this what happened to Josh Battle? It then meant he is UFA when his contract was up because he was technically delisted.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
not quite.

Battle was never a rookie to begin with.
So the scenario i was looking for was rookie => primary list => rookie.

Presume there is not many (if any) examples because the club probably just delists and pays them out rather them putting them on the rookie list again!!

Why wouldn’t AJ just say “No, I’ll see out my existing main list contract, thanks.”?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe because the club could then just delist and pay out. Comes down to whether he wants to retain a chance of playing in 2025 and beyond or sign off on his career.

I think you’re confusing a person with an apparent long term mental health battle with someone going through a rough patch. There is nothing in what we do know of Petracca that suggests he’ll experience longer term impacts from what he’s going through, especially given the level of support he seems to be getting outside the MFC.

Hmm the problem with mental health is it's a very difficult switch to just turn off.

Realistically they could. Martin comes off a contract worth around $650K. Marchbank & Owies also OOC, when combined would be around or above $350k
Martin was paid over $1m in his 1st season. Totally front ended contract in order to not have any other club pick him up in the pre draft.

This is not just another unhappy player wanting to go to a new Club.
It’s a player who genuinely believes he almost died due to mismanagement by the Club.
So I think he would dictate where he wants to go, without having spoken about deal specifics with the destination Club, and if he had it would be a deal favouring the destination Club and not Melb.

Given the circumstances, I don’t think he feels that neither he or his family owe anything to Melb.
So what, he signed a monstrous 7 year deal, how often does the MFC have to say he has 5 years left and we're not trading him under any circumstances, people need too listen and then you won't be disappointed.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back