List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, I’ll use technical terms.

His skin folds are unforgivable for a professional athlete.

You ought to stop making everything about how unfair life is for men, and how much women can get away with.

Girls are paid a pittance compared to the boys and most of them are leaner than Stringer.
Boobs are fat, yet people make fun of our beer guts. It's bullshit.

All I’ve read is that they won’t be offering him a new contract. If that’s correct then presumably?
I thought the story was that they want him on 1 year contracts, but he wants longer?

With the latest being he'd actually hit a trigger and is thus already contracted for next year.

I think it'd have to be a trade - unless I've missed something or got it wrong.

I could be totally off the mark but just feel like Stringer beats up on lowly teams under the roof at Marvel. Which we don’t get much of a chance to do.

I’d like to know what his record at the G is in comparison (as this is where he’d play more games with us).

What I do know though is that he absolutely brained us out of the middle in the ANZAC clash this year. Almost got the Dons over the line that day with a dominant 20 min burst in the middle. Can recall him getting a heap of centre clearances; we had no answer to him. Maybe we could use him like that. Mainly up fwd but give a burst in the guts to send JDG or ND fwd.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Whateley and Co this morning said they think CP has a strong case. Only problem is that I was only half listening to it so I don't really know if he has a case or not
If it was on SEN it will be podcast under Crunchtime. I'm guessing it will either be under Gerard's editorial on Petracca or part of the discussion on "The State of Play at Melbourne, Dan Houston and Kozzie Pickett". If it's not in either of those they have also podcast the entire 1hr and 31 minutes.

I thought the story was that they want him on 1 year contracts, but he wants longer?

With the latest being he'd actually hit a trigger and is thus already contracted for next year.

I think it'd have to be a trade - unless I've missed something or got it wrong.
Ah okay, more info than I was privy to.

If so then it would obvs have to be a trade.

Your reliance on “ no case with what we know”, is just naive - there is no way all the facts have been publicly disclosed.

I’m no lawyer, but Swipey has been emphasising the legal pathways which are - or are not - available to Petracca to argue negligence in terms of voiding his contract. The facts are not necessarily in dispute here. It’s about legal options.

All I’ve read is that they won’t be offering him a new contract and Merrett went and had a whinge about it. If that’s correct then presumably?
Apparently he had a trigger clause in his contract which he hit so he has a contract at Essendon for next year. That doesn't stop him delisting him if they really want him gone, it just means they are on the hook for his salary unless he can find another home. And if he does they may be on the hook for some of it depending on what he is getting paid at his new home (not sure on the delist rules as far as salary goes where a delisted in contract player finds another home but for less money, but I presume Essendon would have to pay the difference, given that they would have to pay the full salary if he didn't find another home).

Apparently Stringer is wanting two years which may be where the trade talk is coming from, though it's possible Essendon are wanting to move him on regardless of his contract status, in which case could they be looking to salary dump him?

Last edited:
From what I've read, bombers won't delist Stringer as he has a contract for next year worth $400,000. No point paying that out and delisting him when he provides solid depth for a forward option, and the contract is **** all. But they would likely trade him for a late pick, as Scott doesn't want him there. So he could be a cheap option. But we have Elliot, Hill, McCreey, and Schultz, who would all be picked before him. He would only be an option for depth if we think injuries would be a concern and we have salary cap to throw around, but not a priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m no lawyer, but Swipey has been emphasising the legal pathways which are - or are not - available to Petracca to argue negligence in terms of voiding his contract. The facts are not necessarily in dispute here. It’s about legal options.
Agree but Only if you believe we know all the facts, can you have unassailable belief that there are no legal options, and we are a long way from that point IMO.

Last edited:
From what I've read, bombers won't delist Stringer as he has a contract for next year worth $400,000. No point paying that out and delisting him when he provides solid depth for a forward option, and the contract is **** all. But they would likely trade him for a late pick, as Scott doesn't want him there. So he could be a cheap option. But we have Elliot, Hill, McCreey, and Schultz, who would all be picked before him. He would only be an option for depth if we think injuries would be a concern and we have salary cap to throw around, but not a priority.
I think if we were to fit him in it would be a case of someone upfield e.g Lipinski being squeezed rather than a forward for a forward. Many of our forward options are capable of playing HFF rotations.

Not sure how the legal options can be categorically be dismissed without all the facts ie I don’t think we have them all.

You never stop.

Sideswipe’s position, whether you agree with it or like it or not, has been pretty clear. It’s about the available legal pathways. Based on my non-existent legal knowledge, these tend to be fixed.

Agree but Only if you believe we know all the facts, can you have unassailable belief that there are no legal options, and we are a long way from that point IMO.
True. There are innumerable potential contract breaches to speculate about. Can we be certain that they've been paying him?

Many people have seen the light from hospitals around East Melbourne - turns out to be the MCG light towers

Are you referring to one of my old posts?

True, but sad story, I was visiting an old friend (mad Pies fan) in St Vincent’s Hospital who very sadly was dying. The Pies were playing at the G that night, and she was holding my hand and looking out the window, and said ‘I can see the light’.

I shifted uncomfortably beside her, thinking she was about to get religious on me, and asked what she meant. And she said look - I can see the MCG light towers from here!

I’ve sat back on the Stringer stuff because it’s a genuinely tough one. On the one hand you have a guy with an amateur approach to professional sport, but on the other he is as gifted as any in the league (to rank 12 and 19 league wide for goals and score involvements when you look maybe 70% match fit is insane).

If the club chooses this path I have faith that it can work because as a unit our forward mix is more hard working than brilliant so I think we can accommodate some more magc. He’s a contract year footballer so I’d keep him hungry with a triggered two year deal and unlike Essendon I just wouldn’t play him if he’s the Jake Stringer show.

I can’t help feeling that he’s a big stage performer that only needs 10 possessions in a PF to win us a game and is the type of guy that in the right environment can do a Brian Harris. I’m not gunning for it as I would Peatling or Petracca, but I say go for it if the club are keen.

The problem for me is that he came into the season looking fitter than he has been and primed for a big season, but he then finished the season looking more than a little pudgy by comparison, you could see his efforts both in attack and defensively started to tail off pretty sharply as the season progressed, you'd get a burst of 5 minutes of activity out of him after he kicked a goal and then nada (financial controller is Essendon so I watch most of their games).

Also seems to be more comfortable under the roof at Marvel (2 goals per game) versus the MCG (1.6 goals per game)

Also a bit mindful of who he has been posting his bags against, 16 goals out of his 42 were against WC (5), Richmond (4), Hawks in round 1 (4) and Saints in round 3 (3), tended to disappear a bit versus the more quality opposition, although he did turn that tight game versus the Dockers with 4 goals, to his credit.

He has talent yes, but there's a big a question over his fitness as there is with Lynch from where I sit and it has always been the knock on him so it's not like a blip on the radar that can be corrected easily.

All I’ve read is that they won’t be offering him a new contract and Merrett went and had a whinge about it. If that’s correct then presumably?
Merrett wants Essendon to be a boys' club for him and his buddies, so he tackled Scott after they delisted Hind, who is one of the aforementioned buddies, along with Stringer and Laverde.
That's tail wagging dog stuff - Merrett should concentrate on playing footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back