List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2015

What Trade Happens 1st

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it curious that everyone seems so hung up on what we might be willing to pay particular recruits. I'm interested in the picks and/or players we give up to bring new players into the team but have no interest in the money side of it. I care (and am happy) that we gave up Beams in return for DeGoey, Greenwood and Crisp. In my book, that trade was clearly a net increase in the strength of our team. I couldn't care less what we formerly paid Beams or are now paying any of his replacements. The market will set their remuneration rate and I trust the Club to manage the salary cap. All I want to know is that the Collingwood playing personnel in 2016 is a significant improvement on the 2015 crop.

Sounds like the amount of interest in Seed will see us get something relatively decent in return. I'd take a 2nd rounder and run if we could get that.

If we drive a hard enough bargain on Freeman I can see us getting Saints 2nd too.

Along with our own we could end up with 3 2nd rounders this year. They will come in handy chasing the mature bodies that Pert alluded to in his interview on radio a few weeks ago. You may still be happy Mick39

Seems interesting then that we would throw next years 2nd to GWS as part of Treloar instead of using this years ones.

Maybe 1st 2015, 2nd 2016 for Treloar
Two x 2015 2nd rounders to Brisbane for Aish
1 x 2015 2nd rounder (plus maybe fringe BK) for Howe

Pretty light on for this years draft but we will keep pick 1 2016.

If Aish is out then keep a 2nd this draft and chase another mature body with the other.

I don't mind those ins. We have to fill at least 7 spots, and you've just traded BK, so make that 8, yet you've just handed out 5 picks for 3 players. Where are the rest going to come from?

Sounds like the amount of interest in Seed will see us get something relatively decent in return. I'd take a 2nd rounder and run if we could get that.

If we drive a hard enough bargain on Freeman I can see us getting Saints 2nd too.

Along with our own we could end up with 3 2nd rounders this year. They will come in handy chasing the mature bodies that Pert alluded to in his interview on radio a few weeks ago. You may still be happy Mick39

Seems interesting then that we would throw next years 2nd to GWS as part of Treloar instead of using this years ones.

Maybe 1st 2015, 2nd 2016 for Treloar
Two x 2015 2nd rounders to Brisbane for Aish
1 x 2015 2nd rounder (plus maybe fringe BK) for Howe

Pretty light on for this years draft but we will keep pick 1 2016.

If Aish is out then keep a 2nd this draft and chase another mature body with the other.

Just touching on your post here Tails.

I really don't want us to have to take too many picks going into this draft. I think our list is at the right balance with Treloar in the fold for us to play finals next season. Losing Seeds and Freeman for a 2nd rounder might sound good in theory but in a shallow draft we need to ask ourselves:

- Are the two picks we get for Freeman and Seeds going to be even on our list in the future?
- Is out list setup to take 2 more first year players at the expensive of a guy who's been on our list for 4 years and the other 2 (admittingly hasn't even played a game yet nut has been in the system).
- Do the Pies ask for a player in return for Freeman if a first round selection doesn't come our way?
- Will/Can the picks we get for these 2 guys be offloaded as part of the Treloar deal?

All questions I think Hine and the other boys will be asking themselves come trade week.

Are there small forwards in the second round of this years draft? Like are we likely to find a Lonie type? Knightmare

Those types are generally available later on.

As small forwards Hisham Kerbatieh and Nick Dodge are two who late draft may be worth consideration. Yestin Eades with his pace maybe could become a forward though more a running outside type at the moment. Daniel Rioli maybe.

So like every year there are a few handy small forwards.

In saying that. I can't help but think if we want him to be, Ben Kennedy can be better than Jack Lonie in that role, with Lonie basically St Kilda's variant on Jarryd Blair.

My feeling is that when playing with a quality key forward nearby, Howe is quite a dangerous prospect himself.

I remember a game against Melbourne a few years ago where we won quite well, but the Clark/Howe combo was very effective. Howe had 18 and 2 goals that day and looked dangerous every time it went forward. Combined very well with Clark who kicked 4 of his own.

I am not against picking him up as a medium forward, I think he could really add something.

We would be looking at a Gunston type role out of Howe ie a 3rd medium/tall fwd type.

Pretty athletic forward line, especially if White is in there too as rotating FWD/RUC. Hopefully it would translate into Cloke being an option rather than the only target we kick to.

Would also help if they kicked straight too...

Hopefully Cloke gets on his bike more and spends less time inside 50 wrestling (making him easier to stop by doing it).
Work his opponents over should be his bread and butter with the wrestle thrown in as option b.
Currently its option a.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind those ins. We have to fill at least 7 spots, and you've just traded BK, so make that 8, yet you've just handed out 5 picks for 3 players. Where are the rest going to come from?

GoalSneak07 I think we make the minimum selections in this yearsdraft (2 live picks and Frost upgrade). We could then look to top up with some mature delisted FAs or an UFA like Whitecross. Hopefully these late inclusions would only be required as last resort depth.

If we could get the Howe trade done without the inclusion of BK all the better.

Last edited:
I think we make the minimum selections in the draft (2 live picks and Frost upgrade). We could then look to top up with some mature delisted FAs or an UFA like Whitecross. Hopefully these late inclusions would only be required as last resort depth.
Abbott will most likely or at least should be getting upgraded.

Abbott needs games at AFL level next year. Has the weapons.

SEPTEMBER 25, 3.28pm: TRADE WHISPERS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-25/trade-whispers-cashedup-clubs-come-for-hartlett

Some Pies-related highlights [nothing ground-breaking]:
Collingwood defender Paul Seedsman looks set to depart the Holden Centre in next month's trade period, with Gold Coast, North Melbourne, Adelaide and St Kilda believed to be circling. The Suns and Roos have already met with Seedsman, but the Brisbane Lions, who were previously linked with him as part of a possible trade for James Aish, are unlikely to pursue the 23-year-old.
In a remarkable turnaround, Aish could yet re-sign with the Lions despite resisting the club's attempts to re-sign him for much of the 2015 season. Collingwood has long been seen as the most likely new home for the out-of-contract South Australian, but its priority this trade period will be finalising a trade for Giant Adam Treloar – a deal that is widely expected to include the Pies' 2015 first-round pick, currently No.7, and their 2016 first or second-round pick – while fellow suitor Richmond is also believed to have cooled on Aish.
In other news:
• Out-of-contract Melbourne utility Jeremy Howe is yet to declare his post-2015 plans, but is on the radar of Collingwood and Gold Coast.
• Despite interest from other clubs, Collingwood midfielder Nathan Freeman is expected to reach his preferred new club St Kilda in the trade period after walking out on the Pies this week. A spate of hamstring injuries meant 2013's No.10 draft pick did not play a senior game in his two seasons at the Holden Centre...
ALSO:
Port seems well placed to keep [Hamish] Hartlett at Alberton Oval in 2016 and beyond, with rival clubs conceding he's unlikely to move.

Saints trade thread was pushing 1000 pages last time I looked. We still have some catching up to do :drunk:
Tiggies thread is now into version 5. I expect them to breech double digits at the end of trade period. They have more prospects and let downs on a daily basis then any other club.

Abbott will most likely or at least should be getting upgraded.

Abbott needs games at AFL level next year. Has the weapons.

I'm not so convinced Abbott should be upgraded.

I agree with you that he has something and certainly should be retained.

But in terms of rookie upgrades I lean a lot more in the tough love direction and making guys earn it by proving they are a part of our best 22 before giving them the full upgrade onto the senior list permanently.

And I'm not so sure he is at that stage yet where he would be receiving senior games let alone becoming a regular in the 1s.

We always have the option of going into next season with a senior list as low as 38. And that would mean 2 rookie upgrades. So if Abbott suddenly explodes during the preseason then he can be upgraded if he earns senior games. But otherwise I'm in no hurry to reward developing players when they're not yet expected best 22 players.

Just in relation to your first sentence we may not be seen to have that POV, but behind closed doors I bet it's a different scenario. I could name at least 4-5 of their players that interest me for our best 22 moving forward.

The question is more about whether we can entice them across or whether we would push for picks to satisfy GWS?
Possibly thats the case. The sentence was from the article, not one of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back