Preview Collingwood vs Geelong Match(day) Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood vs Geelong Matchday Discussion.

Ok, so I've gone a bit early (3 1/4 hours):eek:, but hey this game is too big to wait for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
COLLINGWOOD vs GEELONG
FIRST PRELIMINARY FINAL
FRIDAY, 17TH SEPTEMBER
MCG, 7.45PM

Pies1.jpg
vs
cats1.gif

TV/RADIO

http://bit.ly/ce2hvc

WEATHER

RADAR;

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR022.loop.shtml#skip

FORECAST;
http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

TRANSPORT

http://www.metrotrains.com.au/Timetables-Planning/Overview.html

TEAMS

Collingwood
B: Nick Maxwell, Nathan Brown, Alan Toovey
HB: Harry O'Brien, Ben Reid, Heath Shaw
C: Sharrod Wellingham, Dane Swan, Ben Johnson
HF: Alan Didak, Travis Cloke, Luke Ball
F: Dayne Beams, Chris Dawes, Steele Sidebottom
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Dale Thomas
Int: Jarryd Blair, Leon Davis, Brent Macaffer, Leigh Brown

Emg: Tarkyn Lockyer, Paul Medhurst, Tyson Goldsack

Milestones: Scott Pendlebury (100 AFL games)
Sharrod Wellingham (50 AFL games)

Geelong
B
: Josh Hunt, Matthew Scarlett, Darren Milburn
HB: Corey Enright, Harry Taylor, James Kelly
C: Cameron Ling, Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey
HF: Paul Chapman, James Podsiadly, Mathew Stokes
F: Steve Johnson, Cameron Mooney, Travis Varcoe
Foll: Brad Ottens, Joel Selwood, Gary Ablett
Int : Tom Lonergan, Tom Hawkins, David Wojcinski, Shannon Byrnes

Emg: Andrew Mackie, Taylor Hunt, Mark Blake

-------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH PREVIEW - Dave86

http://bit.ly/c06Tk7

-------------------------------------------------------------------

MY THOUGHTS

And here we all are, the biggest game (yet) of 2010 for any club, on the biggest stage, in front of possibly the biggest crowd, and it all comes down to 2 teams.

Collingwood, the team that has dominated the season, finishing clearly on top and rampaging it's way through the second half of the season, only losing a dead rubber game to the Hawks in round 22. The pies “main weapon” is their forward press, which has been taken to a level never before seen in our game. It relies on first getting the ball inside attacking 50 at all costs, and then ensuring it can not escape without one hell of a dog fight. It has been the “thing” that has set the pies apart all season.

Geelong, the champs, who have won 2 out of the last 3 flags, and haven't missed a grand final since 2006. They are the mark at which all teams were measured for 3 and ½ seasons, yet recently, they have come back to the pack a bit. Their record against the top 4 sides, especially against Collingwood and StKilda has been surprisingly bad this season, with only the one win out of 4 meetings, and that was way back in round 9. The cats play “risky” football, they endeavour to take the game on at all costs, and handball and run the football inside their forward 50, where their small and medium forwards are the most deadly in the game.

So to Friday Night, and it's almost impossible to predict exactly what will happen, but what the heck, I'll have a go. It will be on “for young and old” from the opening bounce, in fact, expect fireworks in the form of pushing and shoving as soon as opponents meet. This game will be a war in football standards, it will be tough, hard, in tight football for large parts of the game, but once it opens up, it will be the most attractive form of our great game you will see all year.

The Cats will try and jump the pies early, but both teams start well, in fact they are tied for first quarters won, although Geelong have had the extra game to achieve the tie. Geelong will rely on winning the ball at clearances for the majority of their scores, and this is where the “big 3” come into the game, Ablett, Bartel and Selwood. These 3 players in my opinion, control Geelong's destiny, and maybe Collingwood's also, in their very hands and feet. If all 3 are able to have top games, the pies will find it hard to win, as it will mean the Cats have had first hands on the ball, and that is what wins finals, after all is said and done. Collingwood will use the likes of Wellingham, MaCaffer, Johnson, Swan and Didak to go one on one with these dynamo mids, and how successful they are may just decide the game.

Outside of the midfeld, it is the small and medium forwards who will do most of the scoring, or at least most of the creation of scoring once the ball is inside 50. Geelong have a plethora of small and medium forwards, but what they lack outside of Ablett, seems to be pure goalscoring midfielders, and this is where Collingwood has an edge. Swan, Pendlebury, Didak, Beams, Sidebottom and Wellingham are all goalscoring midfielders, who may be the “key” to whether the pies can win this game. Both sides tall forwards will be restricted in this game, with only Travis Cloke having the match winning ability amongst the big fellas, as Chris Dawes will have his hands full with Scarlett.

dawes22.jpg

The defenses are fairly even, although they do not play similarly at all. Geelong rely on a one on one defensive style, and then release in numbers once one of them have the ball, while Collingwood's defenders push high up the ground, assisting with the forward press, and while they can be caught out at times over the back, it is a style they will not change too much coming into this match. Maxwell will be tagged, but this may release Shaw or O'Brien, and if anything, they are actually more damaging, although probably lacking Maxwell's 3rd man assist ability. The absence of both Mackie and Prestigiacomo throw a completely new dynamic into the matchup, with Geelong going for a taller backline, with maybe a little less run minus Mackie, while the Pies are probably going “less defensive” with Nathan Brown but he will provide more drive and attack then Presti ever would.

The rucks are interesting indeed for this game, with Ottens and Jolly probably doing as much as 80% of their teams ruckwork, with backup from Leigh Brown and Tom Hawkins respectively. Collingwood have the edge here, only because Jolly is in his prime, as Ottens has dropped form a little bit so far this season. Also, Brown is a far more damaging and intimidating player then Hawkins, and this gives the edge to the pies in the “part time” ruck area.

This game will be close for a long way, and Geelong will play in “spurts”, trying to break open the pies zones and forward pressure, to get behind the press and score fairly easily.

I believe 3 stats categories will ultimately decide this game, and they are tackles, contested possessions and inside 50's. Collingwood dominated all 3 stats last time, and if they do so again, it may not be as close as most expect, but I can see Geelong improving in several of those categories, therefore making more of a game of it this time.

MCG, on a Friday night, in front of 90,000 + people, live on TV, and a spot in the 2010 AFL Grand Final on the line, it simply doesn't get any better then this.

As one scribe entitled it, it's “dynasty versus destiny”, with Geelong trying to truly become a dynasty, while the pies firmly believe it is their destiny to be the champs of 2010.

MY TIP

It's so hard to pick a margin in this game, as there are so many factors, players, coaching moves etc to consider, but the one thing that stands out for me is the week off for the pies. I believe it will be tight for 2 ½ quarters, before the Collingwood army gets loud, and the team breaks away from the champs, using their superior fitness and running ability to stretch the margin out late and seal a first grand final spot in 7 years for the biggest football club in the land.

PIES BY 17

----------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT I'D LIKE TO SEE

TACKLING

balltck1.jpg

In the last game, Collingwood surprisingly only won the tackle count by 5, but the standouts were Luke Ball (14) and Leigh Brown (12).

I want to see us tackle the crap out of Geelong, to use my own term. I want to see us attack them like they have never been attacked before, and when we get them, do not let go, even if it results in a few early frees against.

The most physical side will win this game, and we have to show our physicality from the start, because it is the one area Geelong have always believed they have “over us”.

Tackle hard from minute one till the final siren, and we will be rewarded with a spot in the Grand Final.

I love the Leigh Brown picture below.

leeroytrmp1.jpg

MILESTONES

Congratulations Scott Pendlebury on 100 sensational games.
Congratulations Sharrod Wellingham on 50 breathtaking games.

Both players are an integral part of our midfield, Pendles provides the skill, evasiveness and clean disposal that simply makes us a better team, while Sharrod is our midfield spark, who usually ignites the team early. It's great two such milestones come up on preliminary final night.

FINAL WORD

For those who are attending, I hope you can find some use out of the guide at the top, and for those that aren't attending, I suggest you find a bar, club or crowded area where the game is being shown, as this game just needs an atmosphere to be fully enjoyed. I haven't been this confident of a preliminary final win since 2003, and I firmly believe this time next week we will be discussing grand final selection for the Pies.

GO PIES.:):D

Good to see you've got the club logos in proportion this time. :D

23 houres before the big game. I cant wait, its been such a long week. If we come out and play our game and reduce their run from deffence and kick more goals then points we will win this game. GO PIES!

Bloody Hell I am nervous, Don't How I am going to sleep Tonight then tommorow night if we win.

Need to stop Chapman,Stevie J and Ablett.

Dawes to kick 5 Goals.

Pies by 55 Points I Hope

I haven't been that nervous at all this week, it might be because for once, I actually believe we are going to win a prelim.

The past 2 preliminary finals we have played the pussies in, we have been coming off absolute gut breaking finals, one that went to extra time, and another that was a contest to the siren.

This time we come off an easy finals win of the Scraggers, and a week off, and MM has never lost a final at Collingwood after a week off.:D

Bloody Hell I am nervous, Don't How I am going to sleep Tonight then tommorow night if we win.

Need to stop Chapman,Stevie J and Ablett.

Dawes to kick 5 Goals.

Pies by 55 Points I Hope

Watch the footy show, that should pass a couple of houres then go to bed. If we win tommorow I think I will deffs get a good night sleep but come Monday, If we are in the granny I will have a sleepless week. But as long as we win the flag I couldnt care less how much sleep I get.

I haven't been that nervous at all this week, it might be because for once, I actually believe we are going to win a prelim.

The past 2 preliminary finals we have played the pussies in, we have been coming off absolute gut breaking finals, one that went to extra time, and another that was a contest to the siren.

This time we come off an easy finals win of the Scraggers, and a week off, and MM has never lost a final at Collingwood after a week off.:D

Sound like my dad who has been saying since RD 20 We Will Win The Flag:eek:

David Parkin on AFL Teams said we Will win:eek:

I know two things for sure though.

If we win i will literally run out in the middle of the MCG naked.

If we lose i don't know how i'll react, seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know two things for sure though.

If we win i will literally run out in the middle of the MCG naked.

If we lose i don't know how i'll react, seriously.

If we lose, you may react the same way, but it will be an attempt to get knocked out by the security guards so you don't remember anything about the night.

If we lose, I might join you on the ground too, I don't know how I'd take a loss tomorrow.

Sound like my dad who has been saying since RD 20 We Will Win The Flag:eek:

David Parkin on AFL Teams said we
Will win:eek:

He also said Brent Macaffer was a great kick for goal under pressure. LULWAT!!??!?!

Im an absolute nervous wreck and took the day off from work tomorrow so i could have some frothies to calm the nerves. For the love of god, please get through Pies.

Ill be at n21 cheering my boys on. CMON BOYS!

Anyone see Mick on Game Day??

He seemed relaxed. This would be shattering for everyone involved with Collingwood if we lost. We need to hammer them in the first five minutes with hard tackles to show them we aren't gonna be push overs like last years Prelim.

He seemed relaxed. This would be shattering for everyone involved with Collingwood if we lost. We need to hammer them in the first five minutes with hard tackles to show them we aren't gonna be push overs like last years Prelim.

I recorded Game Day, i guess i'll watch it later.
Never got around to watch last weeks recorded copy as well.

He seemed relaxed.

I think he's relaxed because quite simply, until the ball is bounced tomorrow night, there's not a lot more he can do.

We know the Geelong team, maybe bar one late change, and we know what each of our players roles are tomorrow night.

MM is "serene" because he knows what he has this time around, his best shot at a flag in his time in Black and White.

And also, it was great to see him and Cuz getting along so well, you could just see the "love".:D:heart:

Prior to the show I didnt know Mick Malthouse was a Collingwood fan when he was growing up. Good on the bloke.

Would be amazing to rub it in Sam Newman's face if we win. I didn't think it was possible, but he is now an even bigger ********. :D

I won't be able to watch this game :(

Isn't this the first game Geelong has gone into a match as underdogs since 2007 :eek:

I am more nervous about this match than any other match i can remember (including the two GF losses). I just think, for the first time in my memory, we are the best team and deserve to win. Yet at the same time, we are playing a team which can convincingly kick 8 goals in a quarter and knock us out in about 20 minutes of football.

I won't be able to watch this game :(

Isn't this the first game Geelong has gone into a match as underdogs since 2007 :eek:

Someone today said they haven't been under dogs at the bookies since about round 9 2007, when they played Port in Adelaide and consequently thumped them.

They have lost about 8 games since.:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back