Preview Collingwood vs Geelong Match(day) Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

So effectively, Geelong hasn't won a game as an underdog in the last 3 years? That's good enough for me, Pies will smash it in.;)

Hmmmmmmm very interesting.

I'm not that nervous at the moment but when i'm on my way there i'll be shaking heaps, this calls to bring my i-pod :thumbsu:

Whats keeping me fine atm is Bomber Thompson attempt at mind games with us not playing into them, Bomber has got some nerves coming into this game more than Mick for sure.

For all of you who are nervous, take a few deep breaths before reading the article that I believe will be on the back page of the paper tomorrow.

It is about our great captain, and it will blow you away.

Thread already started on the board by the way with a link to the article.:)

Excellent Matty!

The match of the year. First vs Second. Royalty vs The Commoners.

This was always the game that any footy person wants to see.

Geelong the aristocrats highly skilled and decorated team vs Collingwood the working mans head down bum up pure graft.

The game has been dissected, the match ups proposed and now the moment of truth is upon us.

Geelong play such a pure brand of footy, that all who behold them can not at times help but be enthralled and mesmorised by their flair and artistry, with the number of All Australians at their disposal it is easy to see why they are so highly regarded in the footy fraternity. Collingwood, which took a little while to find our feet this season is a frantic, at times frustrating, but "always hard at it".

This may seem rather simplistic, but if we can restrict the Cats to under 380 possessions for the entire game we should win this. They in their 24 games have never lost once their disposal count has passed 430. Their disposal efficiency, as expected is generally over 74% - so deny them the ball and congest the corridor, apply both real and referred pressure - and they become mortal. Collingwood is now master at this style of play. Geelong have no doubt schooled themselves on how to wriggle themseleves out of our clutches and should they suceed to do this sufficiently over the course of the game we could be in trouble - no doubt there will ebbs and flows with teams having the upper hand over the course of the match - they will want to break it open early!

Geelong have to show a much higher ethic in work rate than they produced all year. Players like Stevie J, Hawkins, Stokes and Byrnes not noted for their defensive work will need to produce their defensive games this week.

I dont feel that Geelong are as imposing physically to us as they have been in previous meetings. They lead the recent head to head 5 to 2, and they "know" how to perform in the big occasions, but they have not met a more dedicated and committed outfit either - we have now arguably the most physically imposing players of either side. Geelong need to have stolen the march on us by half time, and I mean by 3 or 4 goals, cause soft game against Freo or not - I think our freshness will play a major part late on. Getting that upper hand will not be easy as we are usually excellent out of the blocks, and our high rotation policy keep the runners fresh.

Detractors may suggest that we may be mentally suspect - but my answer is this - Mick Malthouse. With this guy in your face and the way he has masterminded this unit in the last 13 weeks - the fanaticism is engrained, they know no other way. I raised on this forum the possibility of suffering burnout - but the way they have gone about it and the extra week well fellow Pie fans take heart, join the rest of the faithful knowing that when we face the worthy Cats at the "G" tonight, whoever prevails, salute 'em cause we know that this contest is going to be extreme!

GO PIES!

Lack of Presti is of great concern to me.

No Presti in Round 9, we lost. Presti in Round 19, we win.

Consider me worried. Don't think Brown and Reid can hold it together on their own.

We just have to cut off their forwards supply.
That's how we won the last one. If they don't get inside 50's we win.

Have a practice exam today, couldnt study and will not concentrate during the exam due todays game. I just hope the boys all give 100% today and stick to the game plan. If we do that we have a great chance.

Anyone see Mick on Game Day??

He seemed relaxed. This would be shattering for everyone involved with Collingwood if we lost. We need to hammer them in the first five minutes with hard tackles to show them we aren't gonna be push overs like last years Prelim.

i remember listening to lee freedman speak after makybe diva won her 2nd melb cup on the bog track. he said something to the effect that the lead up to the race with her was just like waiting to open a special xmas present, you knew what was coming and that it was going to be great but you just had to wait for the day to arrive to unwrap it. he said she had been working so well and was in such great shape and that her preparation had been timed to the minute that they just had to sit tight and wait for the day and she would do the rest

that is how it feels with the pies this year. there is a confidence and calmness within the camp that has not been apparent in recent years. most probably because in those years they went into prelims against geel knowing they were the inferior side and hoping they could pull of a miracle. this year though they know they have been the best in the comp over 22 gruelling weeks with the toughest draw of any final 8 side, they have few injury concerns, they have had the week off, they are young and fresh and have set a new benchmark in defensive footy this year while geel are in reality the classic example of a champion showing the signs of decline - the preparation is timed to the minute for the pies

i'm ready to take the 1st layer of wrapping off the present tonight. the present in its entirety will be unveiled on 25 sept

How confident the media is worries me sick!! In 5 factors, today's paper. The only thing they could come up with is our wayward kicking!! No presto hurts but Browns been good!!

I am so nervous today. I haven't been this on-edge with anticipation since the '03 GF. Might have to have lunch at the pub...I won't be getting any work done anyway!

Anyone see Mick on Game Day??

He seemed relaxed. This would be shattering for everyone involved with Collingwood if we lost. We need to hammer them in the first five minutes with hard tackles to show them we aren't gonna be push overs like last years Prelim.

I agree the Start is Important we don't want the Cats to build an early lead because they will be hard to get back in the game.

So we need a Big Start and Shock the Cats. Just like in 2008 Game when we smashed them:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be amazing to rub it in Sam Newman's face if we win. I didn't think it was possible, but he is now an even bigger ********. :D

I agree he sounded like the Biggest Tosser there saying the Cats would win.

Hope he likes to Run;)

After reading every piece I could on this game, and then doing my own analysis, the result was still not entirely clear to me.

I think a lot depends on the week off we had. If we are with the Cats at 3/4 time, we will win, that is about the only discernible difference I can predict tonight.

Geelong's 2nd and 3rd quarters at certain times in the past have killed us, but I doubt the first quarter will decide much. Both sides start very well, in fact they are tied for 1st quarter wins, so it should be close at 1/4 time.

If we can then continue with our pressure and intensity in the second quarter, when the initial "burst of emotion" has worn off, we will be in a great position.

9 HOURS AND 19 MINUTES TILL THE BOUNCE OF THE BALL.:):thumbsu:

One minute i feel supremely confidant and the next i feel a total wreck thinking we could lose.

But the logic of the way we have prepared we are primed leads me to believe that this current group know they can win the flag.

Although exciting,to win this game will mean nothing if we win it and lose the grand final.If we get through we must win the flag otherwise better not to be playing off.

Interesting to see what you all think.

I would not be happy winning this game and losing the flag.To me this is just another step to the big dance.Lose the big dance and this game means nothing in my opinion.If we get there we have to WIN the flag.

What do you think?

After reading every piece I could on this game, and then doing my own analysis, the result was still not entirely clear to me.

I think a lot depends on the week off we had. If we are with the Cats at 3/4 time, we will win, that is about the only discernible difference I can predict tonight.

Geelong's 2nd and 3rd quarters at certain times in the past have killed us, but I doubt the first quarter will decide much. Both sides start very well, in fact they are tied for 1st quarter wins, so it should be close at 1/4 time.

If we can then continue with our pressure and intensity in the second quarter, when the initial "burst of emotion" has worn off, we will be in a great position.

9 HOURS AND 19 MINUTES TILL THE BOUNCE OF THE BALL.:):thumbsu:

Yea I'm the same. Read just about everything I could on this game, been on here and nicks gauging what others thought but still I'm no closer to predicting tonight.

I'm just a bloody nervous wreck, even more so knowing I'll be there tonight either celebrating with the supporters around me or totally shattered.

I was there in 1990 as a little kid to see us storm into the GF against Essendon and also in 2003 against Port Adelaide. So I'm 2 from 2 so far in terms of prelims I've attended, praying for a third!!!

One minute i feel supremely confidant and the next i feel a total wreck thinking we could lose.

Same here mate. I feel like we are going to Smash the Cats then I feel we could get Flogged

I'll join ya! :D
Hope you two are both female.

Wish I could tackle a pub/club tonight like suggested for atmosphere, but I've got to open up the servo in the morn and I can't be trusted on the piss:( need my brain together. Actually going to bed shortly just to grab some more shut-eye after two many 6am starts and no days off for 2 weeks (no wonder I drink so much, just having a wee glass of champers now actually to help me sleep;))

night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back