Collingwood Vs Geelong, the Decider

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the decider. Geelong has beaten Collingwood once, and Collingwood returned the favor in round 19, now in a Preliminary final they will battle it out in front of 90,000 to see who takes the points this season.

It couldn't possibly get any bigger. The best team over the past four seasons, against the biggest and most hated club in the country.

This season could quite possibly be the last shot the Cats have at the ultimate prize, at least for a few years. And there will be no greater desperation than what they will show this week. They have no real injury concerns, the list looks healthy and nearly every player got some confidence building touches against the Dockers. They are ready for something explosive.

Collingwood has had the benefit of a week off, a fresher, younger list and will also have next to nobody on the injury list.

There seem to be so many pivotal duels in the match, it's not impossible to think that Ablett goes with Swan again, that Ball will lock horns with Selwood, that Chapman will be matched up on Thomas, and that Ling will do his best to quell Scott Pendlebury again.

The Cats have altered there game plan ever so slightly. An increase in kicking so they won't be as susceptible to pressured mistakes.

For me the game starts at half back for Geelong. If Collingwood and Brent MaCaffer more specifically, can stifle the run of Corey Enright off half back, then the cats again might find it difficult to break through. The Cats have really struggled at times this season when Enright has been noticeably down, and if I was Malthouse I would plead for Davis, Beams, MaCaffer and Sidebottom to make certain that Enright and Scarlett are the two players who don't get freed up on the overlap. Even more so now that Mackie looks unlikely to play.

Joel Corey has been a brilliant player, but he looks much slower than usual this season, crippled by injuries, and that is not what you want from a player in the most harassed part of the ground, we all know how good Collingwood's forward pressure has been this season.

Of course the importance of the Collingwood half forward line becomes much less significant if the battle in the midfield is won comprehensively by either team. Jolly V Ottens will be the first time in the past decade that Pies fans will feel suitably confident that there big man can dominate in the stoppages. Ottens looks to be getting back a little bit of form, but Michael Johnson was still able to run wide of the big man and pick up plenty of the ball.

Collingwood tend not to be too cute at the clearances, they are more likely to heave it forward along the boundary line than Geelong are and as a result getting the ball forward via the tough clinches is easier for the Pies, but far less effective. Look for Selwood, Ablett and Kelly to be much less concerned about dishing off looped handballs and instead thumping the ball forward at any opportunity. Thats finals football and the Cats will be aware that in the Round 19 encounter they were smashed in inside 50s. The Cats have the class and starpower in the middle, the Pies have the depth and footsoldiers. Geelong can't afford 2 of Ablett, Chapman, Kelly, Selwood and Bartel to have down nights, because they don't have the depth behind these guys to match all of Didak, Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury, Wellingham, Beams, Sidebottom, Ball and Blair.

Presumably in the Magpies forward line, Lonergan will go to Cloke after the matchup worked the last time, and Harry Taylor will go to Dawes. Regardless of his kicking, Cloke will be dangerous for Lonergan, and though the Cats have the ability to move around their tall defenders, it would be unsettling if Leigh Brown makes a continued impact up forward for the Pies. In the big game, Dawes is clearly the least threatening and might see Matthew Scarlett run to him. It is crucial that Dawes continues to move up the ground and present a viable and threatening target so Scarlett is accountable (ala Kosi in the qualifying final, 1st qtr). Scarlett is rarely exposed, so Dawes might see his role more refined to bringing the ball to ground when it is inevitably pumped in long.

It is not expected that Leon will provide much against a very good opponent and in a highly pressurized game. Josh Hunt is bigger and stronger and Leon will more than likely see under 10 touches for the game. Firstly Leon must make those small amount of possessions count. He still has sublime foot skills and is always dangerous around goal, secondly the over under for a pass mark for Leon will be 5. That is 5 tackles for the game.

In Geelong's forward half, the most enticing match up will be Stevie Johnson up against Harry O'Brien. Johnson is the perfect match up for O'Brien, but it matters little to Stevie J who is playing on him, if Stevie is on, then he is on and a match winning performance is achievable. It was important that Johnson had a run on the ball against the Dockers, for if he is shut down and out of the game for long periods this week, Thompson will want his man to get into the game, and a run on the ball after the high intensity has fallen a little would provide more depth to the Geelong Midfield and also shake up O'Brien's shadow.

Mooney will be the Geelong tall forward with the most upside. He will be matched up by Ben Reid and even though Reid was magnificent in Collingwood's first final, Mooney is a much different proposition than Jarrad Grant. If Mooney is held to 2 goals or less, the Pies will be happy. Jpod will get Presti, if as looks likely the Collingwood veteran will come in for Nathan Brown. It is an excellent match up for Presti, who excels on players who get most of their ball in the air, and fairs even better in contested marking and one on one situations.

Geelong's small forwards, Chapman and Ablett included are the real X factor. If the ball stays in the Cats forward ling for even half of the game, you would think that Varcoe, the aforementioned Ablett and Chapman, Stokes and Byrnes along with the rest of the Cats midfield would provide enough opportunity's to kick a winning score. Conversely, if the game is played in Collingwood's half again, the small Cat forwards may find it difficult to get into the game. It is a plus for Collingwood to have guys like Byrnes, Stokes and Varcoe as targets coming out of the backline, as they are most likely to be outnumbered and Stokes and Varcoe in particular, would struggle in the air matched up to Collingwood's wall in Maxwell, O'Brien, Shaw and Reid.

The ten minutes of complete domination that the Cats had in round 19, was incredibly damaging. Collingwood can be cut open if you can slice through, or more likely get over the top of, their zone. The Cats, as always, will fancy themselves to do that. So the game, as it should be, will be about pressure and the ability to cope with it. If the Cats can pull off their high possession game even against the swarming Pies, they are likely to win. If Collingwood can force them into errors, they are likely to win.

There has been a nifty little tactic that has stiffled the Pies pressure in rounds 21 and 22, presumably created by Neil Craig. Quite simply it is to take the tackle, and pin the ball to the ground when under pressure across half back. Instead of a turnover, a ball up is the result. It is a dangerous game of course, but even a free kick for holding the ball means an easy goal is far less likely than the ball spilling free and the Pies waltzing into an open goal uncontested. The Bulldgos didn't have the bravado to do it last week, and though the Cats have plenty of bravado, it's unlikely they will not try to keep the ball moving. Their brilliance and daring could be their undoing.

What a beauty. Can't wait. I would make a prediction but I don't think it matters because I don't think anyone would've read this far!!!

What a beauty. Can't wait. I would make a prediction but I don't think it matters because I don't think anyone would've read this far!!!

LOL. I read most of it. Fair sort of summary.

If Cats bring last nights game to next week Pies will smash them. They will need to find something between now and then I think.

It's the decider. Geelong has beaten Collingwood once, and Collingwood returned the favor in round 19, now in a Preliminary final they will battle it out in front of 90,000 to see who takes the points this season.

It couldn't possibly get any bigger. The best team over the past four seasons, against the biggest and most hated club in the country.

This season could quite possibly be the last shot the Cats have at the ultimate prize, at least for a few years. And there will be no greater desperation than what they will show this week. They have no real injury concerns, the list looks healthy and nearly every player got some confidence building touches against the Dockers. They are ready for something explosive.

Collingwood has had the benefit of a week off, a fresher, younger list and will also have next to nobody on the injury list.

There seem to be so many pivotal duels in the match, it's not impossible to think that Ablett goes with Swan again, that Ball will lock horns with Selwood, that Chapman will be matched up on Thomas, and that Ling will do his best to quell Scott Pendlebury again.

The Cats have altered there game plan ever so slightly. An increase in kicking so they won't be as susceptible to pressured mistakes.

For me the game starts at half back for Geelong. If Collingwood and Brent MaCaffer more specifically, can stifle the run of Corey Enright off half back, then the cats again might find it difficult to break through. The Cats have really struggled at times this season when Enright has been noticeably down, and if I was Malthouse I would plead for Davis, Beams, MaCaffer and Sidebottom to make certain that Enright and Scarlett are the two players who don't get freed up on the overlap. Even more so now that Mackie looks unlikely to play.

Joel Corey has been a brilliant player, but he looks much slower than usual this season, crippled by injuries, and that is not what you want from a player in the most harassed part of the ground, we all know how good Collingwood's forward pressure has been this season.

Of course the importance of the Collingwood half forward line becomes much less significant if the battle in the midfield is won comprehensively by either team. Jolly V Ottens will be the first time in the past decade that Pies fans will feel suitably confident that there big man can dominate in the stoppages. Ottens looks to be getting back a little bit of form, but Michael Johnson was still able to run wide of the big man and pick up plenty of the ball.

Collingwood tend not to be too cute at the clearances, they are more likely to heave it forward along the boundary line than Geelong are and as a result getting the ball forward via the tough clinches is easier for the Pies, but far less effective. Look for Selwood, Ablett and Kelly to be much less concerned about dishing off looped handballs and instead thumping the ball forward at any opportunity. Thats finals football and the Cats will be aware that in the Round 19 encounter they were smashed in inside 50s. The Cats have the class and starpower in the middle, the Pies have the depth and footsoldiers. Geelong can't afford 2 of Ablett, Chapman, Kelly, Selwood and Bartel to have down nights, because they don't have the depth behind these guys to match all of Didak, Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury, Wellingham, Beams, Sidebottom, Ball and Blair.

Presumably in the Magpies forward line, Lonergan will go to Cloke after the matchup worked the last time, and Harry Taylor will go to Dawes. Regardless of his kicking, Cloke will be dangerous for Lonergan, and though the Cats have the ability to move around their tall defenders, it would be unsettling if Leigh Brown makes a continued impact up forward for the Pies. In the big game, Dawes is clearly the least threatening and might see Matthew Scarlett run to him. It is crucial that Dawes continues to move up the ground and present a viable and threatening target so Scarlett is accountable (ala Kosi in the qualifying final, 1st qtr). Scarlett is rarely exposed, so Dawes might see his role more refined to bringing the ball to ground when it is inevitably pumped in long.

It is not expected that Leon will provide much against a very good opponent and in a highly pressurized game. Josh Hunt is bigger and stronger and Leon will more than likely see under 10 touches for the game. Firstly Leon must make those small amount of possessions count. He still has sublime foot skills and is always dangerous around goal, secondly the over under for a pass mark for Leon will be 5. That is 5 tackles for the game.

In Geelong's forward half, the most enticing match up will be Stevie Johnson up against Harry O'Brien. Johnson is the perfect match up for O'Brien, but it matters little to Stevie J who is playing on him, if Stevie is on, then he is on and a match winning performance is achievable. It was important that Johnson had a run on the ball against the Dockers, for if he is shut down and out of the game for long periods this week, Thompson will want his man to get into the game, and a run on the ball after the high intensity has fallen a little would provide more depth to the Geelong Midfield and also shake up O'Brien's shadow.

Mooney will be the Geelong tall forward with the most upside. He will be matched up by Ben Reid and even though Reid was magnificent in Collingwood's first final, Mooney is a much different proposition than Jarrad Grant. If Mooney is held to 2 goals or less, the Pies will be happy. Jpod will get Presti, if as looks likely the Collingwood veteran will come in for Nathan Brown. It is an excellent match up for Presti, who excels on players who get most of their ball in the air, and fairs even better in contested marking and one on one situations.

Geelong's small forwards, Chapman and Ablett included are the real X factor. If the ball stays in the Cats forward ling for even half of the game, you would think that Varcoe, the aforementioned Ablett and Chapman, Stokes and Byrnes along with the rest of the Cats midfield would provide enough opportunity's to kick a winning score. Conversely, if the game is played in Collingwood's half again, the small Cat forwards may find it difficult to get into the game. It is a plus for Collingwood to have guys like Byrnes, Stokes and Varcoe as targets coming out of the backline, as they are most likely to be outnumbered and Stokes and Varcoe in particular, would struggle in the air matched up to Collingwood's wall in Maxwell, O'Brien, Shaw and Reid.

The ten minutes of complete domination that the Cats had in round 19, was incredibly damaging. Collingwood can be cut open if you can slice through, or more likely get over the top of, their zone. The Cats, as always, will fancy themselves to do that. So the game, as it should be, will be about pressure and the ability to cope with it. If the Cats can pull off their high possession game even against the swarming Pies, they are likely to win. If Collingwood can force them into errors, they are likely to win.

There has been a nifty little tactic that has stiffled the Pies pressure in rounds 21 and 22, presumably created by Neil Craig. Quite simply it is to take the tackle, and pin the ball to the ground when under pressure across half back. Instead of a turnover, a ball up is the result. It is a dangerous game of course, but even a free kick for holding the ball means an easy goal is far less likely than the ball spilling free and the Pies waltzing into an open goal uncontested. The Bulldgos didn't have the bravado to do it last week, and though the Cats have plenty of bravado, it's unlikely they will not try to keep the ball moving. Their brilliance and daring could be their undoing.

A terrific unbiased run down of what should be a great game ,well done and thanks,I too will be unbiased"cats by 8 goals" cheers

tl:dr....Only joking

Brilliant write up mate. Lets hope for a cracker of a match....hopefully similar to 2007 (well with us as the victors of course)

If this one doesnt get 98k+ full of real footy fans, i dont know what will...

I think it will come down to Collingwood's frame of mind... the prelim against the cats again... the pressure of finals footy...

bring it on!

It will get 80 -90K we will once again see the same empty seats in the MCC because it isn't cricket season

If this one doesnt get 98k+ full of real footy fans, i dont know what will...

I think it will come down to Collingwood's frame of mind... the prelim against the cats again... the pressure of finals footy...

bring it on!

I think it willbe the opposite. Pies have played solid consistent footy all year. That is unlikley to change. Geelongs only hope is to play 4 quarters and they virtually have not done that all year.

For me, it is the Cats that need to get their mind right.

Should be worthy of a grand final.

The top 3 teams this year would all be worthy winners.

Collingwood should be marginal favourites on their recent form.

Geelong marginally behind the pies and the saints a bit longer on the odds as they have been across the season a bit behind the other two.

IMO as a st kilda supporter I hope the pies and cats belt the crap out of each other because both are in very good form.

I think the dogs and swans can get across to the grand final because the saints are weaker than the other two and definately the weakest of the three through already to the prelim but would have to have everything go for them to make the granny.

That said, I think only st kilda can beat the pies or the cats as they are considerably ahead of the dogs and swans of the three left on our side of the draw.

I think the cats will need to make some pretty significant changes to their ball movement to have a chance. The way the pies set up defensively the cats can't afford to bring their usual method and expect to win in my opinion.

Enjoyed the analysis. Unbiased and fair

Can barely split the 3 top teams in terms of flag favoritism. If anything have Geelong most likely and Saints just ahrad of Pies. Sorry but I cant see Dogs or Swans being a chance

Am v nervous going into this week. Collingwood, despite what many perceive, have a good finals record under Malthouse. This year is the first time we have entered the finals rated as good a chance as the other top contenders. Although we probably start this week slight underdogs a loss in the PF would be a massive blow to the team . You dont get to many shots at a flag.

Saints even more so will be aware of this after missing a massive chance last year and being older than the Pies therefore potentially having less time left to snag one.

Cats have the benefit of runs on the board. A loss is not as devestating perhaps. May translate into a little less desperation.

Pies/Saints supporters are going to have a very nervous couple of weeks ahead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will get 80 -90K we will once again see the same empty seats in the MCC because it isn't cricket season

Ill be in the MCC and have already got a few guest passes so im doing my bit to fill the seats. But agree with you 100% they should open up the MCC to the public if there are seats still available 10 minutes before the bounce, at least for games expected to sell out.

Well i am tipping Collingwood will get the wobbles just like last year in the finals against Geelong. I am tipping Geelong by 6 goals we are just too good:p

I'm alot more confident of a cats win than in round 19, where the maggies were deserved favourites. Geelong are more settled now than then and in their cyclical training regime starting to hit their peak. Then their is recent history, 2009 cats knock out magpies in prelim, 2009 cats beat magpies in pre-season GF, 2007 cats knock out magpies in prelim. Magpies will be nervous - much more so than Geelong.

I'm alot more confident of a cats win than in round 19, where the maggies were deserved favourites. Geelong are more settled now than then and in their cyclical training regime starting to hit their peak. Then their is recent history, 2009 cats knock out magpies in prelim, 2009 cats beat magpies in pre-season GF, 2007 cats knock out magpies in prelim. Magpies will be nervous - much more so than Geelong.

Yes, ignore the fact that you were the standout team in both those years, and that we finished top this year, and that we did not beat you once in either 2007 and 2009.

Great write-up there mate, I think you have lived up to your moniker. I believe this game will be won or lost on Collingwood's half forward line. If the Pies can bottle things up and keep us from rebounding into open space, like they did in Rd 19, we will be suffocated in terms of scoring opportunities. It is likely that if that were to eventuate, we would have a high efficiency in terms of forward 50 entries simply due to the space that would open up, but if the Pies can minimise those opportunities, then they will probably win - provided they take their own chances (and kick straight!) when the ball is locked in down there. If Geelong can break free with relative ease when rebounding from half back, then we will win through sheer amount of ball won. Man, what a game this is shaping up to be. Wish I could be there so badly!

There's a lot on the line for Geelong in this game, if they lose that'll be the end of the line for them as far as premierships go. They havn't got enough in the tank to string together another season like this, it's the last roll of the dice. I hope we win, Geelong have caused a lot of pain to Pies supporters with their prelim wins, it's high time to return the favour.

There's a lot on the line for Geelong in this game, if they lose that'll be the end of the line for them as far as premierships go. They havn't got enough in the tank to string together another season like this, it's the last roll of the dice. I hope we win, Geelong have caused a lot of pain to Pies supporters with their prelim wins, it's high time to return the favour.

It's high stakes stuff indeed.

The Cats haven't found a reliable method in countering the "forward press" employed by Collingwood and St Kilda. It will interesting to see if they are holding anything back tactically... doubtful you would think.

Also noted that the Bulldogs (vs Collingwood) persisted in playing down the interchange flank from all kick-ins. Presumably this was an attempt to nullify the "hidden man" affect that Collingwood sometimes gets from the massive number of bench rotations. Didn't really help them!

Ill be in the MCC and have already got a few guest passes so im doing my bit to fill the seats. But agree with you 100% they should open up the MCC to the public if there are seats still available 10 minutes before the bounce, at least for games expected to sell out.

No chance of that. The MCC Members will be packed to capacity. The last PF between these sides (also on a Friday) was a debacle with Members with legitimate passouts unable to get back in until 1/4 time. Hopefully the MCC have learned some lessons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood Vs Geelong, the Decider

Remove this Banner Ad

Back