Collingwood Vs Geelong, the Decider

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like Port were in 2007.

well if we see riewoldt bowing down to his supporters like the great treadrea then its official they would be following in ports footsteps, lol
only thing is the power had won a flag only 3 years earlier and thought it was a walk in the park, the saints on the other hand have been through the tough times of losing a close one.
This time both teams have everything to lose and reputations will be on the line for those who have or havent performed.
so it will be a fierce and tough contest in a game of wills and struggles.
Neither team will bow down and it will be a very sore and bruising affair whereas 2007 wasnt the case, just a hard earned win for the favourites.
The pies had nothing to lose that night in comparison to geelongs dominant season.

Yes Geelong is a team of spacerockets and fairies somehow capable of "flicking switches" and turning on "afterburners" and what not.

Yes this team and this team of cats "only" NO OTHER team ever has the ability to magically conjure mystical devices out of their collective pie-holes like the cats...

Yeah....right.

Pies supporters are shitting bricks at the thought of not even making the GF.
I'm loving it.

Have a look at the pies list and see who is 30 and turns 30 next year.
You will have 6 or 7 this time next year aged 30 or over.
Leon davis, ben johnson, darren jolly, tarkyn lockyer, paul medhurst and presti will all be 30 or over this time next year.

Jolly will be 29 this time next year. Medhurst, Lockyer and Davis have struggled to get games this year. We are hardly aging. Our team this year is a good 2-3 years younger than the other top 4 teams. Jealous?

Have a look at the pies list and see who is 30 and turns 30 next year.
You will have 6 or 7 this time next year aged 30 or over.
Leon davis, ben johnson, darren jolly, tarkyn lockyer, paul medhurst and presti will all be 30 or over this time next year.

Idiot, lockyer has retired, presti last year, and medhurst will only be on the list for back up or even delisted. Your argument is flawed mate, far from over the hill

Jolly will be 29 this time next year. Medhurst, Lockyer and Davis have struggled to get games this year. We are hardly aging. Our team this year is a good 2-3 years younger than the other top 4 teams. Jealous?
no not at all lol
No your younger based on average which means absolutely stuff all.
3 years ago hawthorn was so much younger than the rest of the comp only the blues were slightly younger, whats it accounted for them ever since a one year wonder???

Swan(26) heath shaw(27) obrien(28) maxwell(27) josh fraser(28) alan didak(27) anthony corrie(26) leigh brown(26)and luke ball(26)
they will all be one year older next year champ and in their twilight years.
no not jealous at all of those figures.:rolleyes:

Idiot, lockyer has retired, presti last year, and medhurst will only be on the list for back up or even delisted. Your argument is flawed mate, far from over the hill

Hey clown why are they still on your list them?
have a look at the ages of many of your better players, dane swan is what a year younger than judd and yet whats he done thats better in comparison, I seriosly thought he was like 21 ore 22, been on ur list for years as have the likes of leon davis and maxwell go back to your 2002 and 2003 grand final days.
ur rebuttal is flawed and my argument wins.:D

I'm loving it.

mate I'm shitting bricks atm.

we only just got over the line against your boys.

Last year we failed.

we have a fair dinkum shot this year and its possible we fail again.

Not sure we can back up a third time, we are already slipping on 2009 form.

Geelong is an all time great team, and st kilda is a very good team.

Already it looks possible that collingwood have slipped past the saints as well.

the dogs plus cooney definately look good as well, other teams are on the rise...

its quarter past 12 for the saints and we've been lucky with injuries coming into the finals.

Don't know we can hope for a 4th consecutive year of injury free footy (I know we lost roo for the middle of the season but compared to other years 2000 to 2006 where we had rotten luck the last 3 have been good)

I'm pretty sure except for the idiots, most geelong supporters, while confident they are good enough are pretty damn nervous as well.

I'm loving it.

Actually i'm quite the opposite. Thought i'd be really nervous going into another prelim v the cats. But having watched the cats closely the last couple of weeks an inner calm has descended on me. It has drilled home to me that the pies best this year is too good for geel. As long as the pies play somewhere near their best next fri night they'll be winning and winning comfortably and there is nothing geel can do about that because they're not good enough. Interesting that bomber has already started the mind games - it seems he also realises that the cats only chance really is to try and unsettle the pies.

Hey all.

Here's the in's and outs from last years preliminary final to the possible teams next week;

Collingwood ins and outs;

Ins: Jolly, Ball, Blair, Pendlebury, Reid, Dawes

Outs: Wood, Anthony, O'Bree, Dick, Lockyer, Goldsack

Geelong ins and outs;

Ins: Podsiadly, Stokes, Hunt, Lonergan

Outs: Harley, Mackie, Blake, Rooke

If Mackie plays or not, you can plainly see that Geelong have gone backwards, while the Pies have only gotten better.

And don't tell me Podsiadly has improved Geelong, he hasn't had a kick in a big game yet, and will have Presti all over him next week.

The only slight improvement for Geelong has come through Stokes, while the Pies have Pendles, Ball, Reid, Jolly, Blair and Dawes, all who are vital to their team structure now.

It's pretty safe to say the result won't be a blowout like last year, expect a 2007 classic repeat, maybe this time in favour of the pies.

My tip is the pies by 10.:thumbsu:

I think Collingwood at their best are too good for Geelong. The hardest part is keeping Geelong down for four quarters though.

Collingwood have some pretty good backline matchups for Geelong's forwards and Malthouse has a good gameplan going. Biggest thing Geelong need to overcome is actually getting the ball out of their backline and through Collingwood's 'forward press'.

Hope Collingwood get through & win the Flag this season. Geelong have had there time in the sun & although still a very powerful outfit the Pies should be able to capitalise on having the weeks break.

Pies by 18.

no not at all lol
3 years ago hawthorn was so much younger than the rest of the comp only the blues were slightly younger, whats it accounted for them ever since a one year wonder???

Swan(26) heath shaw(27) obrien(28) maxwell(27) josh fraser(28) alan didak(27) anthony corrie(26) leigh brown(26)and luke ball(26)

Anthony Corrie.... you're argument was void when you mentioned a player who's played 1 game for the club in 2-3 years.. you spud :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all.

Here's the in's and outs from last years preliminary final to the possible teams next week;

If Mackie plays or not, you can plainly see that Geelong have gone backwards, while the Pies have only gotten better.

And don't tell me Podsiadly has improved Geelong, he hasn't had a kick in a big game yet, and will have Presti all over him next week.

The only slight improvement for Geelong has come through Stokes, while the Pies have Pendles, Ball, Reid, Jolly, Blair and Dawes, all who are vital to their team structure now.

It's pretty safe to say the result won't be a blowout like last year, expect a 2007 classic repeat, maybe this time in favour of the pies.

My tip is the pies by 10.:thumbsu:

I think you're underselling the importance Lonergan and Hunt's return to the side has had on Geelong. Lonergan has seamlessly replaced Harley IMO, but unlike Harley this time last year, Lonners is actually fit and has been able to play as a key position defender, whereas it was probably past Harley last year.

As for Hunt, his return to the side, added with Corey's injury problems during the year, has allowed James Kelly to play more in the midfield, resulting in him having a career best season, resulting in his first inclusion in the 40 man squad for the All-Australian team.

While we're talking about career best seasons, Varcoe is clearly having his best ever season at the club, Steve Johnson's kicked the most goals in a season in his career, and although Ablett is slightly down on his average in terms of disposals, he's also kicked the most goals in a season in his career, which isn't anything to sneeze at when you consider he started his career purely as a forward.

There's a lot on the line for Geelong in this game, if they lose that'll be the end of the line for them as far as premierships go. They havn't got enough in the tank to string together another season like this, it's the last roll of the dice. I hope we win, Geelong have caused a lot of pain to Pies supporters with their prelim wins, it's high time to return the favour.

I fail to see how there's any more on the line for Geelong than there is for Collingwood. The Cats could very well go top four again next year. We are ahead of the Doggies so theoritically two teams would have to overtake us next year for us to miss out. Go top four and you are in with a shot.

While you haven't said Collingwood 'have nothing to lose' I'd suggest there is plenty on the line for your boys also. You simply can't afford to drop a third Prelim to us because you never know, it might be on again next year. You have to make a stand...especially when you are going in as favourites.

regards,

REB

no not at all lol

hey idiot Shaw is 25 next year and Obrien is 24, and i think you are jealous if you have to lie to make yourself feel better about your own club:rolleyes::eek:

I fail to see how there's any more on the line for Geelong than there is for Collingwood. The Cats could very well go top four again next year.

You might lose Ablett, you have serious problems in the ruck, your forward line is dysfunctional, your defence is aging, and you have brought almost no youngsters through in the past four years.

2010 is Geelongs last chance.

You might lose Ablett, you have serious problems in the ruck, your forward line is dysfunctional, your defence is aging, and you have brought almost no youngsters through in the past four years.

Keep telling yourself that. It's what people said after 2008 GF, it's what was said pre 2009 finals, it was said pre-season this year. Give me an aging Milburn over Shaw or Reid any day of the week. Give me Scarlett over O'Brien etc etc.
As for not bringing through youngsters over the past 4 years, would I prefer the Geelong model of few youngsters but 2 flags or the Collingwood model of plenty of young'uns but 0 flags? Can I open the question up to Magpie fans perhaps?

Our forward line is dysfunctional?? :eek: Not only have we been in the top two for points for over the last four years, we've had 9 players kick 20 goals or more this season alone (Johnson 62, Podsiadly 48, Ablett 44, Mooney 35, Byrnes 33, Varcoe 29, Stokes 26, Chapman 23 and Hawkins 21). In other words, we've had 321 goals kicked by 9 players, which is more than St.Kilda, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Essendon, North Melbourne, Brisbane, West Coast, Port Adelaide and Richmond scored for the year. I bet they wish they all had dysfunctional forward lines too. :rolleyes:

As for having brought no youngsters through in the past four years, here's a list of those players who've debuted for Geelong over the last four years:

Nathan Djerrkura, Mitch Duncan, Tom Gillies, Tom Hawkins, Simon Hogan, Taylor Hunt, Jeremy Laidler, Daniel Menzel, Steven Motlop, Shane Mumford (since moved north), Joel Selwood, Dawson Simpson, Harry Taylor, Travis Varcoe, Trent West and James Podsiadly (although he's not young :p).

Yeah, not many youngsters at all. :rolleyes:

Keep telling yourself that. It's what people said after 2008 GF, it's what was said pre 2009 finals, it was said pre-season this year. Give me an aging Milburn over Shaw or Reid any day of the week. Give me Scarlett over O'Brien etc etc.
As for not bringing through youngsters over the past 4 years, would I prefer the Geelong model of few youngsters but 2 flags or the Collingwood model of plenty of young'uns but 0 flags? Can I open the question up to Magpie fans perhaps?
Cant wait till scarlett plays on dawes this week. oww its going to be juicy if its one out..:D the only way scarlett can win is his TYPICAL HOLD or CHOP , umpiring is a joke these days, selwoods and chapmans ducks, scarletts bs, ablett getting caught holding the ball so many times and then flopping his arms, and no free kick paid.
LOL @ aging Milburn over Shaw. ROFL can milburn even run out a game?
i love the backline of Lonergan, Scarlett, and Taylor LOL
milburn cant run out a game, mackie is dropped??? hunt is in terrible form and only enright is dangerous

It's going to be a classic game. I've got no doubt that the cats are as hungry as ever, but the weeks rest will be a big advantage for the Pies late in the game. Goal kicking will be a massive factor for both sides. We were kicking beautifully for goal in the first quarter last week, and I'm praying we can emulate that again. It'll be so tight that if one side gets the yips in the first quarter, as we've both done plenty of times before, It could very well cost them the game.

Should be a ripper of a game. Will be interesting to see if Geelong does back its run and gun or takes a more conservative approach, maybe even try to turn the tables on Collingwood with a big focus on tackling. Could be a combination of both, like Brisbane in '03 - stun the opponent with a heavy-scoring burst of brilliance, then close the game down. It would go against the grain for the Cats but all that matters is winning - their reputation for beautiful football is well and truly sealed.

If Presti goes to J-Pod expect to see J-Pod leading far up the ground, leaving Mooney inside 50. If this happens don't be surprised if Hawkins and Ottens spend a fair bit of time forward to stretch the Collingwood defence. Geelong will be intent on making the likes of Maxwell responsible for a direct opponent because they are experts at zoning off and picking off opposition kicks.

Both teams can be wasteful up forward so it could come down to who takes more of their chances. The other question is how Collingwood's inexperienced players - Reid, Blair, Wellingham, Dawes, Beams, Sidebottom - respond to a fiercer heat than they have yet encountered.

Cant wait till scarlett plays on dawes this week. oww its going to be juicy if its one out..:D the only way scarlett can win is his TYPICAL HOLD or CHOP , umpiring is a joke these days, selwoods and chapmans ducks, scarletts bs, ablett getting caught holding the ball so many times and then flopping his arms, and no free kick paid.
LOL @ aging Milburn over Shaw. ROFL can milburn even run out a game?
i love the backline of Lonergan, Scarlett, and Taylor LOL
milburn cant run out a game, mackie is dropped??? hunt is in terrible form and only enright is dangerous

Congratulations for living up to the stereotype so well :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood Vs Geelong, the Decider

Remove this Banner Ad

Back