Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You’re right for rusted on fans like us, but this sh*t affects the general fan, not to mention potential fans.

Footy memberships are a fickle thing, look at * massive drop in numbers.

I’m very sensitive to the relocation talk as it affects membership, sponsorship, attendances because it paints the club as a undesirable club to follow

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think our lack of Free to Air games is more detrimental to membership than anything else

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If that's Versace, she must've got it from a street market in Thailand. She'd be best advised to keep it clear of naked flames.

Social status is to women, what violence is to men.

It's overwhelmingly pathetic.

I think our lack of Free to Air games is more detrimental to membership than anything else

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’d want to pay attention to it, the EPL just voted 19-1 regarding pay per view matches

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All this constitution talk is a wank. COVID has financially put us behind the eight ball along with many other clubs and the AFL in general.

It is actually going to impact us less next year when crowd capacity is probably going to be limited to 50% of stadium capacity. MCG has a high break even point and half the stadium is MCC so if the capacity is 50k there then it is going to be 25k MCC/AFL members and 25k club/general public. That is going to hurt the clubs that need 80k+ to make decent money there.

Docklands will be 25k... I hate to be a stick in the mud but that isn't going to impact us a whole lot, we probably have 2 home games that get more than that. We have got by on lower gate revenue. We will still have the Tasmanian games, I assume they open up, our games there aren't really linked to attendance levels.

The vast majority of AFL revenue is broadcasting revenue, even though we had fewer games this year, ratings were up substantially and will likely be strong next year, the cost cutting is largely being done to anticipate the expected reduction in attendances next year.

This is the worst time to become uncompetitive on-field, and for the first time ever I feel like there is a possibility that it could happen. We already have the lowest membership in Victoria. Who knows what 5+ years of bottom 4 finishes could do to our membership & revenue?.

Who says we are going to finish bottom 4 for 5+ years? I think we might be for one more year then that is it if we draft/recruit well. I think we will be far more competitive next year if we can get the injuries down to a reasonable level.

Obviously, the better we do on-field, the easier it is for the club to sell memberships and get people to games. I think we will be in the middle of second/third waves in 2021 and we probably wont get a treatment/vaccine widely available until later next year or beyond, I think it is going to be a shitshow for a while, I think we can wear a quick rebuild while stadium capacity is going to be severely limited.

The club has done a great job to reduce out debt, and while rebuilding our home no less. The whole of the AFL should be in awe of this. But if our financial situation goes south and our reliance on the AFL’s handouts becomes too great (i.e. more than the other Melbourne clubs) then that makes us vulnerable.

We are only mid table when it comes to distributions, and we get less than Dogs, Melbourne and Saints.

"The Saints' total AFL distribution last year was $20,635,000, which was up $96,522 on 2018. They also received $20.6 million in 2017.

St Kilda received significantly more last year than the other members of the bottom four smaller clubs. The Western Bulldogs were paid $16.5 million, Melbourne $16.3 million and North Melbourne's distribution has not officially released yet in the annual report but sources confirmed it to be about $16 million."

A number of clubs also are heavily investing in pokies... with nobody there to shove their life savings into them, all these machines are leased so they cost money to sit there and do nothing, a number of clubs are going to get rogered financially and I hope some of these blood-sucking social clubs go broke. It isn't going to impact us because we do not have any.

The AFL don’t want 9 clubs in Melbourne. As soon as they can argue that we are a financial burden then I think they will try and have their way with us again. If we can’t survive on our own 2 feet then i think the threat of relocation is real, constitution or no constitution. It’s not like they haven’t done it before.

They had the opportunity to ship Melbourne off when they were a basket case and the AFL was running them. They had to step in when the Bulldogs were redeveloping their home and prevent them becoming insolvent. They had to guarantee banking facilities for Richmond or else they wouldn't have been able to trade at one of their lowest points.

AFL would like for some weaker clubs to move to development states, but the commission has said never again, since Fitzroy. They not only will never actively force a club to leave, they will help clubs to prosper. It was an actual AFL initiative which had given us the development of the Wyndham/Werribee region and part of our future fund distribution was for increase our supporter base. The AFL clubs only a few years ago told the AFL it was their number one priority to buy out Docklands and provide it as cheap as possible for smaller clubs, it cost all these clubs $300m to buy out Docklands prematurely. They aren't going to be happy if that was for nothing.

New interstate clubs in development regions isn't a cost-saving exercise, it is insanely expensive and a huge burden on the league. The amount of money the AFL forks over to keep GWS and GC afloat makes the money they give us look like a drop in the ocean. We generate more than our fair share of revenue for the AFL, the reason the AFL would like us to move to Tasmania is because the AFL can't afford to bank roll another financially crippled club, they hope they can take our strong base of $35m in revenue and add what little would come from Tasmania so the AFL do not have to fork over GC like distributions to keep them afloat.

As Gilligan said, he would like that, but we aren't under any pressure to go there, if we do not go there then Tasmania will eventually get their own license. It is important for us as a club to sort out the on and off-field situation so we can do more than survive, we want to see our club prosper and it is hard to do that when we are no good on the park.

We will have to wait and see what the fall-out is of the covid, the financial year end this October. The fact we kept the lights on the VFL and VFLW teams is a positive sign that despite the challenges, we can still afford what some would consider as luxuries in a time of crisis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is actually going to impact us less next year when crowd capacity is probably going to be limited to 50% of stadium capacity. MCG has a high break even point and half the stadium is MCC so if the capacity is 50k there then it is going to be 25k MCC/AFL members and 25k club/general public. That is going to hurt the clubs that need 80k+ to make decent money there.

Docklands will be 25k... I hate to be a stick in the mud but that isn't going to impact us a whole lot, we probably have 2 home games that get more than that. We have got by on lower gate revenue. We will still have the Tasmanian games, I assume they open up, our games there aren't really linked to attendance levels.

The vast majority of AFL revenue is broadcasting revenue, even though we had fewer games this year, ratings were up substantially and will likely be strong next year, the cost cutting is largely being done to anticipate the expected reduction in attendances next year.

Who says we are going to finish bottom 4 for 5+ years? I think we might be for one more year then that is it if we draft/recruit well. I think we will be far more competitive next year if we can get the injuries down to a reasonable level.

Obviously, the better we do on-field, the easier it is for the club to sell memberships and get people to games. I think we will be in the middle of second/third waves in 2021 and we probably wont get a treatment/vaccine widely available until later next year or beyond, I think it is going to be a shitshow for a while, I think we can wear a quick rebuild while stadium capacity is going to be severely limited.

We are only mid table when it comes to distributions, and we get less than Dogs, Melbourne and Saints.

"The Saints' total AFL distribution last year was $20,635,000, which was up $96,522 on 2018. They also received $20.6 million in 2017.

St Kilda received significantly more last year than the other members of the bottom four smaller clubs. The Western Bulldogs were paid $16.5 million, Melbourne $16.3 million and North Melbourne's distribution has not officially released yet in the annual report but sources confirmed it to be about $16 million."

A number of clubs also are heavily investing in pokies... with nobody there to shove their life savings into them, all these machines are leased so they cost money to sit there and do nothing, a number of clubs are going to get rogered financially and I hope some of these blood-sucking social clubs go broke. It isn't going to impact us because we do not have any.

They had the opportunity to ship Melbourne off when they were a basket case and the AFL was running them. They had to step in when the Bulldogs were redeveloping their home and prevent them becoming insolvent. They had to guarantee banking facilities for Richmond or else they wouldn't have been able to trade at one of their lowest points.

AFL would like for some weaker clubs to move to development states, but the commission has said never again, since Fitzroy. They not only will never actively force a club to leave, they will help clubs to prosper. It was an actual AFL initiative which had given us the development of the Wyndham/Werribee region and part of our future fund distribution was for increase our supporter base. The AFL clubs only a few years ago told the AFL it was their number one priority to buy out Docklands and provide it as cheap as possible for smaller clubs, it cost all these clubs $300m to buy out Docklands prematurely. They aren't going to be happy if that was for nothing.

New interstate clubs in development regions isn't a cost-saving exercise, it is insanely expensive and a huge burden on the league. The amount of money the AFL forks over to keep GWS and GC afloat makes the money they give us look like a drop in the ocean. We generate more than our fair share of revenue for the AFL, the reason the AFL would like us to move to Tasmania is because the AFL can't afford to bank roll another financially crippled club, they hope they can take our strong base of $35m in revenue and add what little would come from Tasmania so the AFL do not have to fork over GC like distributions to keep them afloat.

As Gilligan said, he would like that, but we aren't under any pressure to go there, if we do not go there then Tasmania will eventually get their own license. It is important for us as a club to sort out the on and off-field situation so we can do more than survive, we want to see our club prosper and it is hard to do that when we are no good on the park.

We will have to wait and see what the fall-out is of the covid, the financial year end this October. The fact we kept the lights on the VFL and VFLW teams is a positive sign that despite the challenges, we can still afford what some would consider as luxuries in a time of crisis.

Thanks, Tas.

If you think about the state of the league and all clubs in and after COVID for five minutes you’d conclude that now would be the worst time for the AFL to pursue an expensive and energy-sapping change like a relocation or merger. it’s almost like the wilder rumours aren’t logical.

I haven’t consumed much footy media directly but from what I’ve seen on BF the panicky stuff is coming from anonymous social media and some peanuts looking to stir up controversy.

We are at the tail end of a shit season, coming to terms with big changes to our list including the departure of some much-loved players, at a time everyone from the club, supporters and media is also operating to some degree under the psychological effects of isolation and uncertainty. Some media people are saying they don’t like what the club has been doing - either too much change now, or too inconsistent in approach over the past few years. We really don’t have to let anyone push us to think any of this adds up to looming disaster.

The NMFC and the AFL will keep working through everything, we’ll get more contracts signed, have a draft and trade period, then a break, and then we’ll see four teams out of Arden St again in 2021 - hopefully in person.

Agree with this post a lot. The real problem here is the perception it HAS created, over years of negative sh*t from these arseholes....speak to any non north supporter and they assume we are F*d....purely because of the constant garbage. Then translate that into sponsorship and corporate dollars and how TF do we improve.
I hate Dildo Barrett with a passion........Caro is just a sh*t human, disgrace of a person.
Dildo by far the worse, Caro on the podium for sure though.
All the negative crap that comes out of them is causing far more damage......And if we do go down, or fall on hard times, I blame you Dildo, you sanctimonious piece of sh*t.....call yourself a North supporter, you are a dog mate. I would never let you into the club again if it was up to me. The only person in the media I would actively take a bat to. You ain’t reporting, you are actively undermining. Big difference.
And to think the ****head is employed by the AFL. If it was in the AFL's best interest for us to prosper they would not allow his shit on their website/programs.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why is this even been discussed. We are financially sound compared to a couple of other clubs.
Because some ******** of a so called journalist writes it you become insecure.
Just image if someone looked at your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend and said hello, would you jump to conclusions.
Positive people love our club, not pessimistic jump at shadows people
:mad:
Please correct me if I am wrong but currently our financial security is on the back of playing games in Hobart. A double-edged sword.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A full time tasi team just wouldn't work. I'm more worried about forced mergers.

Wait and see what happens after the GF is over. The afl will likely have lost alot of money this year and it is the best environment to make serious structural changes.

Thanks, Tas.

If you think about the state of the league and all clubs in and after COVID for five minutes you’d conclude that now would be the worst time for the AFL to pursue an expensive and energy-sapping change like a relocation or merger. it’s almost like the wilder rumours aren’t logical.

I haven’t consumed much footy media directly but from what I’ve seen on BF the panicky stuff is coming from anonymous social media and some peanuts looking to stir up controversy.

We are at the tail end of a sh*t season, coming to terms with big changes to our list including the departure of some much-loved players, at a time everyone from the club, supporters and media is also operating to some degree under the psychological effects of isolation and uncertainty. Some media people are saying they don’t like what the club has been doing - either too much change now, or too inconsistent in approach over the past few years. We really don’t have to let anyone push us to think any of this adds up to looming disaster.

The NMFC and the AFL will keep working through everything, we’ll get more contracts signed, have a draft and trade period, then a break, and then we’ll see four teams out of Arden St again in 2021 - hopefully in person.

The irony is that peanuts like Barrett spent all trade period last year bashing us because we needed to rebuild and we weren't doing anything, weren't moving on anyone who had trade value and now we get to this year and things are changing and he has stuck the boot in. Some people are just going to be negative regardless what our club does and he will be on board if/when we have success and claim he was on board what we were doing. I get people are passionate and can show it in different ways but he reminds me of the type of guy that panics in the airplane when there is a bit of turbulence and in doing so sets off other people that otherwise might not have panicked themselves.

I think he has set off a lot of our supporters the way he has bashed the club.

I get it, I don't like that we are losing Brown, I understand we can't say more about why some decisions are being made without it hurting our hand more than it already has, the idea we are going to give Higgins away for a mediocre pick or lose anyone else bothers me as well but I trust Brady Rawlings, he is a smart operator and this isn't his first rodeo. If we have some senior players who are used to calling the shots and aren't behaving like the club would like them to or are directed by the coach and the club wants to move people on before they have too much of an impact on our younger players then I can understand why we can't be transparent about it if that is what is going on, we would get nothing from them with trades if we came out and said we are getting rid of bad eggs from the batch.

From the outside looking in I understand it can look like the place is burning down, and I understand supporters are upset that we are losing some players we have loved over the years, but our previous coach thought the group was shit enough to get rid of and start again. Things were less than ideal this year and obviously the stress of covid and hub life seemed to have created a toxic environment and Rawlings is looking to make significant change on and off the field. I trust his judgement. I don't know if he is going to execute well, I hope he does. I just feel he is making the changes that he feels must be made for us to go forward as a club, regardless how bitter that pill is to swallow in the short-term.

I think we have to back the club, there is no way we would have made the kind of changes we are making lightly, or just to speed up a rebuild imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back