Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bazzo wasn't really available.

He made it clear to clubs he wasn't moving out of the state as he wanted to stay near his disabled brother. Which was fortunate, as his mother died in a freak boating accident since he was drafted and his old man Steve died from melanoma in 2015.

I think his sister and Rhett are now primary carers.

Just to double down on the lack of option it was Heath Chapman that wanted to stay for his brother. Not sure why clubs were steered from Bazzo but I can only assume Steve’s death was still raw and his standing in WA footy may have led Rhett to follow in his footsteps.

Imagine sitting bottom 4 for a 5th year running, being absolutely pathetic onfield and then not even bothering to question those list decisions. Or going off at the bloke who does. Someone who’s batted for our team multiple times.

ffs his article is obviously about multiple examples over the years, not just Cadman / Wardlaw.

How would our team look right now if we had McDonald up forward and Curtin out back instead of Wifi and Durs.

I love them both and no way I’d go back now, but I am willing to admit we probably wouldn’t be any worse than we are right now. I don’t know the answer but I’m not blind enough to ignore the question either.

Nobody is even saying they’re bad players, they’re great. But our team as a whole needed something different.

Ya’ll need to chill a bit, it’s a valid analysis.

Last edited:
'Should have taken Curtin' is the new 'Should have taken McDonald'.

Both scream 'I know nothing about football and just repeat stupid s**t I heard somewhere one time'.

Curtin is not a key position defender.
Think 95% of fans would take McDonald over Phillips in hindsight (even before considering positional needs). We all get things wrong.

Imagine sitting bottom 4 for a 5th year running, being absolutely pathetic onfield and then not even bothering to question those list decisions. Or going off at the bloke who does. Someone who’s batted for our team multiple times.

ffs his article is obviously about multiple examples over the years, not just Cadman / Wardlaw.

How would our team look right now if we had McDonald up forward and Curtin out back instead of Wifi and Durs.

I love them both and no way I’d go back now, but I am willing to admit we probably wouldn’t be any worse than we are right now. I don’t know the answer but I’m not blind enough to ignore the question either.

Nobody is even saying they’re bad players, they’re great. But our team as a whole needed something different.

Ya’ll need to chill a bit, it’s a valid analysis.

Nah, it's not a valid analysis. It's been shredded in this thread by genuine valid analysis of the available KPD draftees over the past 4 years.

McDonald has struggled in a Sydney side that wins way more than it loses. He would have been even less effective with us. Even if you don't rate WilPhil, that one's a nil all draw. The Cadman-Sheezel-Wardlaw trades were well considered and both teams win but we're in front.

The article was punching down of the highest order, which seems to be the favoured MO of AFL-sanctioned "journalists".

Wow, that was surprisingly even... I feel this could divide our board in the way that dim sims & coffee shops have. Well, not coffee shops, since Arden Street MUST have one.

PS: Liked Zac Fisher's answer for quality - and original - fence-sitting

HashtagKangaroos had McGowan on for a 30 minute interview where he discusses the article, worth a listen TBH. I did find it amusing at one point though when he repeats the year 2000 typo out loud. He is talking about our draft decisions since 2020, right?

Bazzo wasn't really available.

He made it clear to clubs he wasn't moving out of the state as he wanted to stay near his disabled brother. Which was fortunate, as his mother died in a freak boating accident since he was drafted and his old man Steve died from melanoma in 2015.

I think his sister and Rhett are now primary carers.
Poor kid. Yeah I do recall that now.

Because 95% of fans don't watch football and form their own perspective, they're just parroting the media narrative.

McDonald is s**t.
Dude people who think they’re right all the time and can never admit their opinions were wrong aren’t useful contributors to discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because 95% of fans don't watch football and form their own perspective, they're just parroting the media narrative.

McDonald is s**t.
I rate your opinion on here Souup , but I reckon Logan is a long way from shit. He’s got a pretty decent set of hands.
Has dropped a few marks too though, but that can come with experience. To me he reads it well and gets to the right places.
Jury still out on how good he will be, sure, but I don’t reckon he’s shit.

I rate your opinion on here Souup , but I reckon Logan is a long way from s**t. He’s got a pretty decent set of hands.
Has dropped a few marks too though, but that can come with experience. To me he reads it well and gets to the right places.
Jury still out on how good he will be, sure, but I don’t reckon he’s s**t.
He’s getting a game for a top four side playing one of the most difficult positions in the ground

Phillips can’t get a guernsey in the worst team of the last 25 years.

Dude people who think they’re right all the time and can never admit their opinions were wrong aren’t useful contributors to discussion.

100% agree. The media and Logan McDonald fanboys have a lot to answer for.

If you want a TLDR summary of the most damning:

Concerns I had around McDonald a year and a half ago that haven't gone away:
  • He was the most AFL-ready key position player in a long time and yet has struggled to win a spot in the Swans team. Admittedly, a great team, but a great young talent who's as ready made as we've seen in a long time...
  • He's looked very slow at ground level
  • Much of his touches come from lace out delivery, often further up the ground. He struggled to get separation on the lead against Jake Lever on the weekend on numerous occasions.
  • Constantly trails into marking contests when he should be flying - this happens a lot.
  • He just doesn't take contested marks often at all, he's not dynamic in the air, and he's playing on 2nd and 3rd string defenders most of the time. He's taken 10 contested marks in his first 16 games. For comparison's sake, Harry Mckay had 21 in his first 16 games, Curnow 17 in his first 16 games, Jeremy Cameron 26 in first 16, Naughton 22 in his first 16, Mitch Lewis 28 in his first 16, Tom Lynch 29 in his first 16. Feel free to name any other young star key position forward in the competition and I'm more than happy to pull up their first 16 games and the amount of contested marks they took.

I rate your opinion on here Souup , but I reckon Logan is a long way from s**t. He’s got a pretty decent set of hands.
Jury still out on how good he will be, sure, but I don’t reckon he’s s**t.

Refer to my post/s above.

Legitimately watch him closely when he plays - he is incredibly underwhelming.

I know at least 5 of his 9 goals this year have been joe the gooses after turnovers leading to him walking it in. He's also cracked the 10 disposal mark once in four games so far this year as their focal point in attack.

Last edited:

Mckernan not a boxers bung hole. Pisses me off that boxing is made a joke by all these pretenders thinking they can box
You can thank No Limit who have made plenty over the years by exploiting the bogan rugby league market that George Rose came out of, matching league players who can no longer throw them on the field.

It’s now starting to make its way into the AFL, problem is that outside of guys like Barry Hall there’s not the same proclivity for it, hence you get pathetic cards like this.

Wait, do we tell Sydney?

“​

SWANS DUO IN TALKS

SYDNEY pair Errol Gulden and Logan McDonald are both "keen to stay" at the Swans as negotiations continue on new deals, says their manager Ben Williams.

Williams
, from agency Players Ink

Last edited:
Think 95% of fans would take McDonald over Phillips in hindsight (even before considering positional needs). We all get things wrong.
McDonald is about to go back to Perth and Sydney will get multiple first round picks - Wiphi is about to ask for a trade and we might get a pick around 30.

The McDonald/Phillips debate is done and dusted - we got it wrong and it will hurt us.

McDonald is about to go back to Perth and Sydney will get multiple first round picks - Wiphi is about to ask for a trade and we might get a pick around 30.

The McDonald/Phillips debate is done and dusted - we got it wrong and it will hurt us.
Spot on. Unpopular view on here, but it's the truth.

Phillips is going to ask for a trade? Since when? On what information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back