Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's disappointing to see Marc go down the shock jock path, he's always been one of the better journos out there, but the current trend is to write aggravating articles to get more interactions.

His Cadman points are wrong as well. It's not a matter of Cadman v Wardlaw, without GWS the JHF trade would be JHF for pick 8 (2022), pick 20 (2023) and pick 40 (2023).

So it's really Sheezel + Wardlaw + Goad vs Cadman + Ginbey + Goad + McAuliffe.

You take the first option 100% of the time, regardless of list need.

It's disappointing to see Marc go down the shock jock path, he's always been one of the better journos out there, but the current trend is to write aggravating articles to get more interactions.

His Cadman points are wrong as well. It's not a matter of Cadman v Wardlaw, without GWS the JHF trade would be JHF for pick 8 (2022), pick 20 (2023) and pick 40 (2023).

So it's really Sheezel + Wardlaw + Goad vs Cadman + Ginbey + Goad + McAuliffe.

You take the first option 100% of the time, regardless of list need.

Not having his best moments this week is ole Marc…
First it was we SHOULD have got Curtin not Goad or Duursma
Then argue with supporters on X about it..
And now this…we should have drafted talls ie CADMAN not Wardlaw ( or Harry if you want to throw that in the mix)
And again double down and argue with people on x who rightly query his points.
I mentioned in a response on Saturday that his article then was poorly constructed only for the benefit of generating clicks and guaranteeing future articles like it…well here we are…
ILL end by saying his snarky responses on x have wiped out any goodwill he had and that his arguments (or lack of as you eloquently put by ignoring other key elements in the trade that acquired George plus Harry) reflect the need for rushing out so called clickbait journalism at the expense of actual journalism….just disappointing.

Not having his best moments this week is ole Marc…
First it was we SHOULD have got Curtin not Goad or Duursma
Then argue with supporters on X about it..
And now this…we should have drafted talls ie CADMAN not Wardlaw ( or Harry if you want to throw that in the mix)
And again double down and argue with people on x who rightly query his points.
I mentioned in a response on Saturday that his article then was poorly constructed only for the benefit of generating clicks and guaranteeing future articles like it…well here we are…
ILL end by saying his snarky responses on x have wiped out any goodwill he had and that his arguments (or lack of as you eloquently put by ignoring other key elements in the trade that acquired George plus Harry) reflect the need for rushing out so called clickbait journalism at the expense of actual journalism….just disappointing.

I'm prepared to give him a break having acknowledged the journalistic climate he's in.

Compare him to Barrett or Caro where there is genuine vitriol and it's really fine.

For now...

I don’t mind Dermie, but not sure Gerard planned on being second banana on his own show tonight. Dermie thinks he’s hosting.
Love "Dermie", when we weren't playing each other in finals I barracked for Hawthorn {my late dads team} and loved the way Dermott played. Yes I know a lot can't stand "Dermie" but what a player he was in one of the toughest eras in football, the 70s and 80s were no holds bared and Dermott brought that mongrel back to football as well as unbelievable football ability.

Now like racehorses and cricketers there will be some for and some against but in my opinion Dermott was the best CHF I've seen and I've watched many tapes and games over the years on lots of the best CHF and he was that good and especially under pressure. Sure he could give it but he could also take it and he loved it, remember walking through the middle of the Bombers at Waverley park after wrestling with Billy Duckworth early on!

It wasn't till a young lad named Wayne Carey came along to go even further and do things that some footballers just shouldn't be able to do that not only propelled him "The King" but one of the best footballers ever with maybe a couple of others.

McGowan is obviously spooked by losing his job last time, so now he's embraced the cowardly lickspittle role that involves bashing North without even verifying the (incorrect) assertions that he makes about us.
Nailed it LTK. AFL.com.au made a conscious decision to go all in on clickbait journalism and McGowan was one of the casualties because he wasn't that type of journo. He's obviously seen the writing on the wall and from the seeds planted by Damian "Purple" Barrett we are witnessing the blossoming of the weed that is Marc "Lilac" McGowan.

Nailed it LTK. AFL.com.au made a conscious decision to go all in on clickbait journalism and McGowan was one of the casualties because he wasn't that type of journo. He's obviously seen the writing on the wall and from the seeds planted by Damian "Purple" Barrett we are witnessing the blossoming of the weed that is Marc "Lilac" McGowan.
He's gone all Nina Simone on us - Lilac Whine.

Not bothered by this. McGowan is critiquing us on football grounds and that's fair game. Most of us happen to disagree with the finer points of his argument and that's fine.

It's emotive uneducated attacks on the club itself by folks like Wilson and Barrett that grate me far worse.

I'd love a $ for every time I read or hear "should've drafted a key defender..."

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Looking at just the Rawling drafts, KPDs that he has overlooked:

2020 DGB (took Philips), Heath Chapman (took Powell), Tom Highmore (took spicer, both already delisted)

2021 Mac Andrew (took JHF), Rhett Bazzo (took Paul Curtis)

2022 Jedd Busslinger (took Sheezel, Wardlaw), James van Es (took Brayden George). Traded for Logue.

2023 Dan Curtin (took mckercher, duursma). Drafted Dawson.

It’s not as if there are any list-****ing blunders there. DGB is the only questionable one (and I like WilPhil, just that he’s out of the team right now) and he’s been a bit shit at hawfs. In 4 shots at it, Rawling has brought in a mature kpd and a promising 1st rounder.

2020 DGB (took Philips), Heath Chapman (took Powell), Tom Highmore (took spicer, both already delisted)

2022 Jedd Busslinger (took Sheezel, Wardlaw), James van Es (took Brayden George). Traded for Logue.

It’s not as if there are any list-******* blunders there. DGB is the only questionable one (and I like WilPhil, just that he’s out of the team right now) and he’s been a bit s**t at hawfs. In 4 shots at it, Rawling has brought in a mature kpd and a promising 1st rounder.
If they were the KPD candidates at each draft and if any of them were selected ahead of those actually chosen then the list manager would deserve every kick in the pants that came his way.

I get that there were some who thought Curtin might have been a worthwhile pick but I still think that North chose well last year and there is no need to cop heat for the direction they went.

I'd hope the defenders had spent time studying the videos from the first three rounds and that the coaches have been able to work with them on the errors - especially those that can be avoided like running through the protected zone and moving on the mark. There have also been a few soft holding/blocking frees paid against North that players felt annoyed about but it is on themselves and their coaches to develop better techniques so that there's nothing for the umpires to penalise (easier said than done however).

It’s not as if there are any list-******* blunders there. DGB is the only questionable one (and I like WilPhil, just that he’s out of the team right now) and he’s been a bit s**t at hawfs. In 4 shots at it, Rawling has brought in a mature kpd and a promising 1st rounder.

Bazzo wasn't really available.

He made it clear to clubs he wasn't moving out of the state as he wanted to stay near his disabled brother. Which was fortunate, as his mother died in a freak boating accident since he was drafted and his old man Steve died from melanoma in 2015.

I think his sister and Rhett are now primary carers.

Last edited:

Personally, i wanted to get highmore...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not bothered by this. McGowan is critiquing us on football grounds and that's fair game. Most of us happen to disagree with the finer points of his argument and that's fine.

It's emotive uneducated attacks on the club itself by folks like Wilson and Barrett that grate me far worse.
Fair enough, each to their own.

For me I don't see it as critiquing more so lazy journalism, how easy is to to say North should have picked McDonald over Phillips?
You can literally go through every club and pick out 2 - 3 examples every year of should have / could have but the focus is on us because we're an easy target.

What annoys me the most is we're 3 games into the 2024 season and he's already revisiting our 2023 draft with the expertise of hindsight. Dan Curtin hasn't even played a senior game but we should have picked him and not Duursma.

Not content with revisiting the 2023 draft he's doubled down and revisited our 2022 draft saying that we should have picked Aaron Cadman who has played a grand total of 15 games instead of George Wardlaw who has played 11 games. FFS let these kids play for a year at the very least.

Not content with revisiting the 2023 draft he's doubled down and revisited our 2022 draft saying that we should have picked Aaron Cadman who has played a grand total of 15 games instead of George Wardlaw who has played 11 games. FFS let these kids play for a year at the very least.
Just imagine if we didn't do the deal last year and ended up with Cadman + Ginbey instead of Sheezel + Wardlaw.

Guarantee the narrative would be "In North's dire desperation to fill their barren KPP stocks, they overlooked the obvious A-grade talent in Sheezel and Wardlaw. The top end of the draft should always be for selecting best available and North have failed once again."

Not sure what North could have done more re KPD in the off season. Who were the KPDs on the move? Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher?? Given neither had any interest coming to us, the only way we could have got them was paying WAAAAYYYY overs and getting slammed for that given that both are literally ordinary.

So instead we get what we perceive to be the best state league KPD (Pink) for nothing. We also get a speculative DFA in Nyuon as possibly short term fixes. The best available KPD in the 2023 mid-season draft (K.Dawson) is given every chance. The 2022 compo pick which we had to trade is spent on a KPD (Logue) who sadly gets hurt. The 2023 draft sees us use two top 5 picks on the best available - Duursma & McKercher - but the next two picks are spent on talls - a young ruck (Goad) and a KPD (W.Dawson). I'd argue that North did EVERYTHING possible to cover this weakness.

Daniel Curtin - flight risk? Maybe. But are we really thinking that if we drafted him we'd stick him on McKay/Curnow, Hogan/Brown, Daniher/Hipwood, Cameron/Hawkins and expect him to do better than Pink/K.Dawson? Why don't KPDs get the time midfielders get to grow and become AFL players? No one says re McKercher or Duursma that they didn't beat their opponents in their 3rd (Pink) or 7th (K.Dawson) game so they must be busts. Personally, I think Pink has been OK and K.Dawson promising. If they were older they'd look their teammates in the eye and say "Hey, any chance you MOFOs in the midfield could help us out? We're getting torched down here and you blokes are giving us nothing!!"

The criticism over our KPD woes is not in the Clarkson era at all. Scott Thompson unsurprisingly retired at the end of 2019. Robbie Tarrant unsurprisingly walked at the end of 2021. In between we got Aidan Corr and Josh Walker. It's not like we did nothing. But this is where McGowan has a point. K.Dawson, W.Dawson, Pink, Nyuon, Logue - NONE were on the list before Clarkson came. The cliff was coming but the powers that be at the time just held hands and hit the throttle Thelma & Louise style.

Josh Walker was a short term stop gap and did well enough in that role. Aidan Corr is the problem. In his defence, he's not really suited to the role he has. He's your third tall who can cover a gorilla for a bit, a small for a bit, but better suited to a mid-size type. If he played against North he'd take Zurhaar, not Larkey or Curtis. Unfortunately, he's effort is questionable and skill level/decision making subpar. He's a liability.

Our model is clearly Melbourne. They get Viney as a FS in 2012. At the end of 2013 after a 2-win season, they go with Salem. Next year, Petracca, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen. Then Oliver. No hint of drafting KPDs early although they bust with a KPF with Weideman. But in 2018 having not made finals yet they target Lever. The next year they get May. Two years later they win the flag with Viney, Salem, Petracca, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen, Oliver, Lever and May.

No one knows how this plays out but out of necessity through abysmal mismanagement, we're playing the long game. I'm watching my cholesterol levels in the hope it pays off!

Great post. Couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

OMFG. Can't believe Marc "Lilac" McGowan actually believes Cadman would be better for us than Wardlaw. His head is so far up Barrett's arse he's writing the same sh*t as him.
As someone else said, if we had taken Cadman and Harry won a best and fairest at another club and George was playing the way he is, he/they would be slaughtering us in the media to such an extent that other media outlets would join forces and fair dinkum it would be a bloodbath!
Something like this; Sure, its great North picked up a key forward and Cadman's going to be a really top player BUT, they should have done that deal, they are in such a way that even their own football department have lost the plot!

What a player Harry Sheezel is and George Wardlaw is just going to be a star and yet because the people in charge down there at North are in such disarray and could have had these two young stars they opted to not do that deal. I mean, imagine those two in the blue and white, running around, they could have traded for a key forward and had their cake as well! Cadman's going to take time and North don't have that much talent on their list and it beckons the question what's next for this struggling club, relocation maybe?

Just imagine if we didn't do the deal last year and ended up with Cadman + Ginbey instead of Sheezel + Wardlaw.

Guarantee the narrative would be "In North's dire desperation to fill their barren KPP stocks, they overlooked the obvious A-grade talent in Sheezel and Wardlaw. The top end of the draft should always be for selecting best available and North have failed once again."

Yep..this…absolutely. Click bait lazy journalism….at the moment I’ll say the CADMAN vs Wardlaw…whilst guaranteeing future hyperthetical articles where l can create a flawed argument around what supports my agenda….Bit like the distinct possibilities such as the paragraph that you have successfully crafted.
Absolutely agree that this narrative you have presented would be discussed at great lengths in media land.
The fact that you have highlighted how easy it is to do, just shows the success of clickbait journalism…generate a poor dot point or two, guarantee arguments and chat, guarantee a right of reply to my said poorly constructed article….continuing the cycle…and bugger the fallout or those who argue against his points..lm just disappointed that he’s wondering off down this path of lazy journalism.

Last edited:

"There's no easy fix"......

c714f12c63be2af86307845241b09982

Fair enough, each to their own.

For me I don't see it as critiquing more so lazy journalism, how easy is to to say North should have picked McDonald over Phillips?
You can literally go through every club and pick out 2 - 3 examples every year of should have / could have but the focus is on us because we're an easy target.

What annoys me the most is we're 3 games into the 2024 season and he's already revisiting our 2023 draft with the expertise of hindsight. Dan Curtin hasn't even played a senior game but we should have picked him and not Duursma.

All reasonable points. But we have had a shonkly list balance for 3-4 years (I ranted about Luff's list build shortly before his demise) and it is a reasonable grounds for external media attack. I'm not upset that we don't agree on each of Marc's points but think his overall premise is reasonable.

He has set up a bit of a house of cards defence though by using the ND as his main argument. I think we were negligent not replacing mature tall stocks over an extended period with some appropriate FA, trade or state league coverage but the pathway never had to be the national draft.

Interestingly this is exactly the approach the list managers finally took in the 2023 trade period which I totally agreed with.

The roots of this issue imo trace back to around 2017-18 where we started losing multiple talls each offseason and not replacing them with like players. Luff then had 2 trade periods to rebalance it but didn't do so leaving us with the current shitshow.

On a tangent, yet another series of critical errors from the illustrious Buckley period.

Article in the Hun and Age caught my eye about umps showing bias and getting it wrong, my immediate thought was wow somebody is going to admit how terrible the umps were ast Friday! No it’s a big rant about how Ginivan hasn’t been awarded enough free kicks for ducking 🙄 duck me dead 🤬

Article in the Hun and Age caught my eye about umps showing bias and getting it wrong, my immediate thought was wow somebody is going to admit how terrible the umps were ast Friday! No it’s a big rant about how Ginivan hasn’t been awarded enough free kicks for ducking 🙄 duck me dead 🤬
Ginnivan got taken high twice on Monday and should have been given free kicks for those two incidents. He then went on to play act for another 6+ free kicks that he didn't deserve. The longer the game went, the more obvious it was that he was playing selfish football.

Ginnivan got taken high twice on Monday and should have been given free kicks for those two incidents. He then went on to play act for another 6+ free kicks that he didn't deserve. The longer the game went, the more obvious it was that he was playing selfish football.

This is a good point. A bloke playing for his teammates just keeps shit simple, picks it up and looks to involve others doesn't he?

Instead, this fella and the following commentary is whingeing about a few frees he didn't get because of his own garbage.

You could take a 2x4 and batter Lindsay Thomas around the head in the mid-2010's and it was play on. No one gave a shit then.

Bazzo wasn't really available.

He made it clear to clubs he wasn't moving out of the state as he wanted to stay near his disabled brother. Which was fortunate, as his mother died in a freak boating accident since he was drafted and his old man Steve died from melanoma in 2015.

I think his sister and Rhett are now primary carers.
Yeah what happened to his mum was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back