Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeremy Howe has 2x the instavomit followers as Sheezel.

That’s the problem. Small club realities will always minimise the market demand for small club superstars vs big club middleweights.
Give it time re followers, but he smashes Howe on the other metrics and will just get better. Harry is the man.

we'll also be far more successful over the next 4 years as well. Timing is perfect.

We need to use it to our advantage.

Basically the AFL will hand-pick 50-80 players to earn significant (over 100k) bonuses based on how 'marketable/popular/recognisable to the average fan' they are.
"How can we funnel up and coming stars to the bigger clubs?"

"We'll pay them a 'marketing' bonus."

"Brilliant!"

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Bailey Smith is already on the books at Cotton On....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

It means the likes of Bailey Smith , Harley Reid, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Christian Petracca , Lachie Neale , Charlie Curnow , Marcus Bontempelli , Jack Ginnivan and Isaac Heeney could be among those put forward for advertising campaigns involving the AFL’s major partners, including Toyota, McDonald’s and Gatorade, just to name a few.
Was his name included just to check whether the sub was still paying attention?

Yeah, I think this is really, really bad. First step towards becoming a Premier League style competition where a few teams are competitive and the rest are just there to fill games.

This alone doesn't get us there, but it does signify that the current administration might want to go that way eventually. Or at least that they wouldn't mind, as it is such an obvious conclusion they cannot possibly have missed it.

We're already partway there to be fair, but we are still at the stage where everyone is pretending we're not.

Give it time re followers, but he smashes Howe on the other metrics and will just get better. Harry is the man.

we'll also be far more successful over the next 4 years as well. Timing is perfect.

We need to use it to our advantage.
Not a bad theory but if your a commercial entity wanting to maximize eyes on your product or services - your going to be drawn to the bigger supporter based Clubs.

We'll have a few sneak in but you watch more inferior opposition players from bigger clubs getting deals ahead of our more deserving players.

Not a bad theory but if your a commercial entity wanting to maximize eyes on your product or services - your going to be drawn to the bigger supporter based Clubs.

We'll have a few sneak in but you watch more inferior opposition players from bigger clubs getting deals ahead of our more deserving players.

I guess I look at it from the POV that the commercial entity will want someone who transcends a single club, appeals to fans from other teams and permeates into non-football followers. Just because you play for the Pies does not mean the majority of AFL fans or the general public will be influenced.

I think this is where Harry comes in. If an AFL partner wants to appeal to families, do they choose Harry or DeGoey? Harry wins hands down. Point is for me this style of fund is more for the individual than the club they play for, as the intended audience is far broader than one club. Daicos will benefit but more because is a great player, young, clean cut, speaks well than the fact he plays for Collingwood. Yes, that carries a certain value, but more people hate Collingwood than barrack for them.

To your point - to individually sponsor 1 club, you will want the big club. But when you are an AFL partner you need to appeal to the fans of all clubs - and the broader public. Carey had a gig for life in the AFL media as he was very marketable as the best player ever - had nothing to do with North. Pity he stuffed it up.

Everyone loves Harry - well until he wins his 3rd Norm Smith - they'll start to get a bit sick of it and us winning ;)

I've had so many non-North fans rave about how well he speaks, how good a player he is. Media are all over him. He has a standing spot on several media platforms already.

Anyway, I am hoping this is the case. If not - stuff em. We'll win a few flags regardless.

player marketability factors:

- Distinctive looks: Max Gawn, Bruce Doul, Nic Naitanui, Dustin Martin, Jason Akermanis, Anthony McDonald-Tippingwutti, Cameron Ling, Ben Brown

- Model looks: Nat Fyfe, Bailey Smith, Jack Steele etc.

- Exciting playing style: Eddie Betts, Buddy Franklin, Cyril Rioli, Jason Akermanis, Steve Johnson, Brendan Fevola

- Distinctive or Memorable name or nickname: Plugger Lockett, the G train, Jason Akermanis, Adam Yze, Buddy Franklin, Steele Sidebottom

- Charismatic personality: Jason Akermanis, Sam Kekovich, Dermott Brereton, Shane Crawford, Brendan Fevola, Warwick Capper

- Talented media performer: Nick Dal Santo, Jack Riewoldt, Patrick Dangerfield

- Marketable in a way unique to them: Adam Goodes, Ben Cunnington, Mason Cox, Toby Greene, Dane Swan, Barry Hall

All of this times by your playing ability and achievements which is still the number one factor really. But there’s nothing that marketable about Simon Black who is one of the all time greats.

I don’t think the potential for manipulation lies with the Harry Sheezels of the world, more with attracting players where the partners want multiples from the big clubs involved. Come to us, we’ll put you forward as one of those players, and so on.

- Exciting playing style: Eddie Betts, Buddy Franklin, Cyril Rioli, Jason Akermanis, Steve Johnson, Brendan Fevola

- Distinctive or Memorable name or nickname: Plugger Lockett, the G train, Jason Akermanis, Adam Yze, Buddy Franklin, Steele Sidebottom

- Charismatic personality: Jason Akermanis, Sam Kekovich, Dermott Brereton, Shane Crawford, Brendan Fevola, Warwick Capper
Think we need to spread word on Warlord, Elvis and Curtis

I feel like the Sheezel/Wardlaw double act could do well, and if any shoe companies are looking for someone, they can't go past Eddie 'Elvis' Ford as long as they have him in a pair of blue suede shoes. :)

This is indicative that the AFL is pursuing a strategy of increasing player celebrity. I think it’s smart. Superstars and household names are essential for eyeballs and water cooler chat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Distinctive looks: Max Gawn, Bruce Doul, Nic Naitanui, Dustin Martin, Jason Akermanis, Anthony McDonald-Tippingwutti, Cameron Ling, Ben Brown

- Talented media performer: Nick Dal Santo, Jack Riewoldt, Patrick Dangerfield

- Marketable in a way unique to them: Adam Goodes, Ben Cunnington, Mason Cox, Toby Greene, Dane Swan, Barry Hall

All of this times by your playing ability and achievements which is still the number one factor really. But there’s nothing that marketable about Simon Black who is one of the all time greats.
amazing detailed breakdown, could put fevola in all those categories at one time or another lol

Whilst I can see where the concern is coming from this has Harry Sheezel written all over it. Might as well rename it the Sheezel marketing fund.

I also think LDU and Wardlaw are highly marketable players that everyone in the AFL is aware of. They all have presence, star quality and the image partners want to associate with.

But how will it be determined?
According to two senior sources with knowledge of the agreement who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of negotiations, the list will be compiled based on three pillars:

1. “Market demand” – who do the AFL’s commercial partners like and/or want in their next campaign.
  2. On-field performance.
  3. Personal brand – social media following, networking capabilities, ability to perform well in interviews etc.
Those three players are all more marketable if they play for big clubs.

4 players from each club with at least one of those being in the AFLW program.

Simple. There's your nearly 80 players and I can't see how this could be interpreted as unfair.
Is this part of the proposal/deal?

If it was it wasn't mentioned in the article.

Spoiler alert it isn't and won't be a part of the proposal because it wouldn't maximise the ROI for the people involved, and that matters more than any fairness issues
The people running the AFL right now are ****sticks.

The people running the AFL right now are ****sticks.
One of the most money crazed non-profits existing. The profits are placed above everything else. Government funded community orientated non-profit with major gambling partnerships :)

Basically the AFL will hand-pick 50-80 players to earn significant (over 100k) bonuses based on how 'marketable/popular/recognisable to the average fan' they are.

Isn't this likely to significantly disadvantage smaller clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back