Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

I just love how Simmo never shied away from how much he loves North. A lot of ex players do tend to distance themselves, at least publicly.

When asked what he’s going to do now…

“Take some time with the family. Watch the Eagles. Watch North.”
I can’t stop thinking about this.
He wasn’t there for like 3 seasons, it was over a decade. His first interview after leaving & he’s already talking about North.
I ****ing love it.
I would be very surprised if he’s not an assistant at North Melbourne next season.
Young, up & coming list to work with, alongside a former mentor …and let’s face it; somebody will need to take over from Clarko at some point.
Plus Simmo is born to coach.
It’s a perfect fit.
He will be a North assistant next season.

He wasn’t there for like 3 seasons, it was over a decade. His first interview after leaving & he’s already talking about North.
I ****ing love it.
I would be very surprised if he’s not an assistant at North Melbourne next season.
Young, up & coming list to work with, alongside a former mentor …and let’s face it; somebody will need to take over from Clarko at some point.
It’s a perfect fit.
Not sure about that. There will be some contractural sticking point for sure as he will be still paid by the Eagles. I think he needs the 12 months off anyway. Looks burnt out

Not sure about that. There will be some contractural sticking point for sure as he will be still paid by the Eagles. I think he needs the 12 months off anyway. Looks burnt out
Please elaborate on what you mean by contractural sticking point.
_
Doesn’t seem like the type of guy to want to sit around at home. He even alluded to that in his press conference. I don’t think he looks burnt out. I think he looks like a guy that wants to get out of that shitty fishbowl of a state. Simmo has always wanted to coach, years before even retiring from playing.

He’ll be keen as a bean within 6 weeks. You think he’s going to just chill out for 15 months?

We just gotta land another talented KPF 200cm size.

We bring in Zane and he is what we want for a pick 4 we have an elite forward line, we will if not already have an elite midfield, and with Chom and Griff we can have an elite defense.

Another top 3 pick this year, hopefully a small forward as well. I tell you there is a flag in this team in the next 3 years.

In summary give us Oscar Allen, Zane become Bailey Fritsch type which he should at pick 4 and we have some decent luck with everything else I think we have a flag in 3 years.
As much as I like really Caddy (he reminds me of Curnow and W80) I don't think an elite KPF is a necessity. Just a good one who can take contested marks and create space for Larkey when he needs it. How the forwards work together and create space for each, and how the mids use the ground to deliver them the ball will cover that.

Curtis, Duursma, Ford, Zurhaar and another quality smaller forward (which we may already have if Harvey, Payne or RHJr come on) gives us plenty of options. Especially having someone like Sheezel to rotate thru the forward line with them.

We just need good transition and smart movement into the 50.

Give him 12 months away then see how it goes as Media Street will be calling especially with Channel 7💩 and Fox Footy calling every game by themselves so there will be a need of new callers and special comments people

I ****ing love it.
It’s a perfect fit.

There's a better chance that Nick Daicos, Harley Reid, and Jason Horne-Francis are playing for North next season than Adam Simpson returning as an assistant coach. For one thing, we have cap space for players. Not so much for another coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is really concerning for any clubs that are not the top 6-8 in terms of size, and particularly those in the bottom 6-8. Big Victorian clubs + West Coast clear beneficiaries in terms of player retention and attraction. Long-term effects of this could be extremely damaging to equalisation, which was one of the things that attracted me to this sport in the first place.

This is really concerning for any clubs that are not the top 6-8 in terms of size, and particularly those in the bottom 6-8. Big Victorian clubs + West Coast clear beneficiaries in terms of player retention and attraction. Long-term effects of this could be extremely damaging to equalisation, which was one of the things that attracted me to this sport in the first place.

Would you mind posting the text? I don't have a subscription to The Age.

The AFL’s richest players are about to get richer, thanks to a little-known pool of money – nearly
$35 million – that has been included in the new collective bargaining agreement.

The “marketing fund”, which is yet to come into effect, will be made exclusively available to a select group of high-profile stars and will allow them to earn extra money with the AFL’s commercial partners, separate not only to their playing salaries but even to the additional services agreement. The latter is essentially a contract that a player enters with their club or club sponsor (as opposed to the marketing fund, which is purely for AFL sponsors/partners).

The marketing fund, part of the agreement that runs from 2023 to 2027, is so little known that four club chief executives and six heads of football had no clue it even existed.

It means the likes of Bailey Smith, Harley Reid, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Christian Petracca, Lachie Neale, Charlie Curnow, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Ginnivan and Isaac Heeney could be among those put forward for advertising campaigns involving the AFL’s major partners, including Toyota, McDonald’s and Gatorade, just to name a few.

Smith, despite missing this season with a knee injury, remains one of the most marketable players in the game. Not only does he model for clothing brand Cotton On, he’s also a paid ambassador with drinks company Monster Energy.
The list is being put together in a joint effort between the AFL and the players’ association.
Under the agreement, the list can contain a minimum of 50 players and a maximum of 80.

At least eight on the list – or 15 per cent, whichever is higher – must be AFLW players.

But how will it be determined?
According to two senior sources with knowledge of the agreement who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of negotiations, the list will be compiled based on three pillars:
  1. “Market demand” – who do the AFL’s commercial partners like and/or want in their next campaign.
  2. On-field performance.
  3. Personal brand – social media following, networking capabilities, ability to perform well in interviews etc.

AFLPA boss Paul Marsh – who is on sabbatical – launched a marketing fund when he was in charge of the cricket players’ union and has been successful in implementing it into football. It was all the way back in 2009 that Marsh negotiated a pool of $2.9 million for Cricket Australia’s 25 contracted players to access in promotional appearances.

The 50-80 AFL players will have access to a kitty of $6.2 million in 2024. That figure will rise to
$8.4 million in the agreement’s last year, 2027. It means that one of the game’s highest-paid players, earning well north of $1 million a season, could then earn an extra $168,000 in one year.

Several high-profile player managers contacted by The Scoop privately expressed their concerns with the fund, suggesting that it’s likely to negatively impact middle-tier players, who may not have the public profile of others. Another player agent – who wouldn’t speak publicly because of the sensitive nature of the topic – told this column that star players at interstate clubs might not get the attention that similarly talented players at bigger clubs would.

For example, is Caleb Serong at Fremantle or Noah Anderson at Gold Coast as “marketable” as Adam Cerra at Carlton? They are players of similar age and ability, but one plays for a Victorian powerhouse, while the other two are more off-Broadway.

Former Carlton defender and now AFLPA commercial boss Michael Jamison believes the fund provides the ability for the game’s best players to be rewarded financially outside of what they do on the field. “The AFLPA understands the importance of giving our members opportunities for greater earning capacity in a heavily restricted commercial landscape,” Jamison said. “Players are only in the game for short period of time, so it’s crucial we explore further mechanisms so they maximise their careers, which, in-turn, helps their transition from football.

“The inclusion of a marketing fund for a group of AFL and AFLW players was a key outcome in the current CBA. Importantly, the identified players will work with existing industry partners to help grow and promote the game. “The specific details are being worked through with the AFL and will be finalised and implemented for the 2025 seasons.”
Unused money from the 2024 allocation would be included over the following three years.

Basically the AFL will hand-pick 50-80 players to earn significant (over 100k) bonuses based on how 'marketable/popular/recognisable to the average fan' they are.
Ah yes, I’m sure this won’t be abused whatsoever.

Ah yes, I’m sure this won’t be abused whatsoever.
Yeah, I think this is really, really bad. First step towards becoming a Premier League style competition where a few teams are competitive and the rest are just there to fill games.

This alone doesn't get us there, but it does signify that the current administration might want to go that way eventually. Or at least that they wouldn't mind, as it is such an obvious conclusion they cannot possibly have missed it.

Basically the AFL will hand-pick 50-80 players to earn significant (over 100k) bonuses based on how 'marketable/popular/recognisable to the average fan' they are.
That seems fair, especially with the AFL being committed to fair and equitable fixture exposure for all teams and players.

AFL Equalisation = all clubs are equal, but some clubs are more equal than others.

Actually, what it really means is that the bonuses of AFL execs, earned by the manipulation of the competition to maximise financial outcomes rather than sporting integrity, are all equally repugnant.

Whilst I can see where the concern is coming from this has Harry Sheezel written all over it. Might as well rename it the Sheezel marketing fund.

I also think LDU and Wardlaw are highly marketable players that everyone in the AFL is aware of. They all have presence, star quality and the image partners want to associate with.

According to two senior sources with knowledge of the agreement who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of negotiations, the list will be compiled based on three pillars:

1. “Market demand” – who do the AFL’s commercial partners like and/or want in their next campaign.
  2. On-field performance.
  3. Personal brand – social media following, networking capabilities, ability to perform well in interviews etc.

Whilst I can see where the concern is coming from this has Harry Sheezel written all over it. Might as well rename it the Sheezel marketing fund.

I also think LDU and Wardlaw are highly marketable players that everyone in the AFL is aware of. They all have presence, star quality and the image partners want to associate with.

2. On-field performance.
‘The sensitivity of negotiations’.

What the **** do these people think they’re negotiating?

A weapons deal to overthrow a government?

2. On-field performance.

Jeremy Howe has 2x the instavomit followers as Sheezel.

That’s the problem. Small club realities will always minimise the market demand for small club superstars vs big club middleweights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back