Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately, the sad fact is the headline achieved exactly what it wanted - plain and simple. It generated lots of commentary and sold extra copies of the newspaper. Nobody at the West Australian is looking for journalistic awards off the back of it. They win, either way. The rest of us have to content ourselves with righteous indignation - which is always a tad pathetic look, unfortunately. 🤣
Did it though?
They've had people cancelling their subscriptions over the treatment of Simmo and their behaviour on socials.
They've even addressed it in cancellation requests that they've been inundated with negative feedback and are taking it on board.

A major advantage big clubs have is that they can “prosper” even if they’re badly run, due to their massive supporter base . The smaller clubs need to run a very tight ship or risk their own demise. North is very much in that basket. Right now, we’ve really sorted things out off the field and we’re super well placed on the field. Literally, North are on a launching pad right now that could put us in the stratosphere for the next 10 years. If that does eventuate, let’s hope our administration take advantage of the situation and set us up for the long term. The mob that ran North during the “Carey” days wasted that opportunity.

Edit: In truth, Carey didn’t help matters for us in the end. Imagine how better it might have been for us if Wayne had been a bit less “out there”. He could have been such a popular legend throughout the AFL, if he had been able to control his baser desires. I suppose Geelong had similar issues with Ablett Senior.

Last edited:
Did it though?
They've had people cancelling their subscriptions over the treatment of Simmo and their behaviour on socials.
They've even addressed it in cancellation requests that they've been inundated with negative feedback and are taking it on board.
Fair enough. I stand corrected. 👍

It’s amazing how quickly sentiment can shift from total basket case to amazing potential practically overnight. The impact of one game against GC.
Its been a promising form-line since the WCE game, to be fair.

If we'd played all year like we had over the past five weeks, I imagine we'd be knocking on the door of the eight.

I think most pundits can see that.

Did it “sell” anything though? Except for whatever ad space they have on that page it’s all free looks - no one is buying extra subscriptions or extra paper copies on the back of it. It feels more like a vanity exercise which makes that journalist and the editor feel important but doesn’t actually create value. And it’s a one-off hit even for the ads. They can invent shit headlines until the cows come home but they will get better content if they have better relationships with players and coaches.
They don't need better content - they're the only paper in town, and they also own the TV station whose news gets about triple the ratings of their nearest competitor.

Even when was being slammed in the press week after week, Adam Simpson still dutifully fronted up for his interview on Seven News every Monday night.

I'm not over it. Reckon it had a huge impact on our plight 2017-23. People bang on about the mass delistings of recent years, but they were the list cloggers we were left with after Scott decided to get rid of all our experienced talent
The justification for it sticks with me to this day. That Brad would be forced to select (some of) them over kids if they stayed on the list.

...That's not how it works.

Then there's the persistent rumour that he only wanted to get Boomer out of the club, but with the quality of his football wouldn't be able to justify it, so he just axed several other older players and made it a larger issue about veteran players.

The justification for it sticks with me to this day. That Brad would be forced to select (some of) them over kids if they stayed on the list.

...That's not how it works.

Then there's the persistent rumour that he only wanted to get Boomer out of the club, but with the quality of his football wouldn't be able to justify it, so he just axed several other older players and made it a larger issue about veteran players.
Something very similar to ‘I’d have a hard time not selecting them if they are on the list’

**** me he was a disaster in the end.

I'm not over it. Reckon it had a huge impact on our plight 2017-23. People bang on about the mass delistings of recent years, but they were the list cloggers we were left with after Scott decided to get rid of all our experienced talent
Boomer and maybe Spud for a year... the only two worth keeping from that group. Maybe Wells would have hung around then and LT would have played better in 2017 and stayed on the list a little while longer.

But realistically Boomer probably gone by 2020 anyway and I still think he'd have been worth enough wins in 2017 (we lost 5 games by under a goal and two of those by a point,) that we miss LDU and maybe draft Stephenson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something very similar to ‘I’d have a hard time not selecting them if they are on the list’

**** me he was a disaster in the end.

To be fair to Brad - I'd also have a tough time not picking Brent Harvey over Corey Wagner.

Not really. We had ok years in 2018 and 2019. It's David Noble that ****ed us. Not Scott

Not really. We had ok years in 2018 and 2019. It's David Noble that ****ed us. Not Scott
Everything that happened in the past led us to where we are now So, thank you one and all for Sheez, Wardlaw and McKercher. Without serious screw ups by people in the past, we could never have those three!

It's the cumulative effect of everything. Scott topping up and then saying he needed to rebuild. Shaw having the reins during the COVID year and us having issues ****ing everywhere imaginable. Resetting the list direction and coaching panel AGAIN with Roos and Noble. Noble burning the place down once Roos ****ed off to hawii. By then we had lost the last few years of service of our good senior players and on top of that the list had as much deadwood on it as ever before! So then clarko comes in, shit is on fire thanks to the hawthorn stuff, our veteran players are either gone or on their last legs and we have to restart the rebuild yet again.

2019-2022 inclusive is just pure ****ing suck with us fist****ing the list and culture at every turn (2023 wasn't exactly stellar either.) An absolute blackhole of embarrassment. We can only pray that the years to come are as bright as the previous years were dark.

It's the cumulative effect of everything. Scott topping up and then saying he needed to rebuild. Shaw having the reins during the COVID year and us having issues ****ing everywhere imaginable. Resetting the list direction and coaching panel AGAIN with Roos and Noble. Noble burning the place down once Roos ****ed off to hawii. By then we had lost the last few years of service of our good senior players and on top of that the list had as much deadwood on it as ever before! So then clarko comes in, shit is on fire thanks to the hawthorn stuff, our veteran players are either gone or on their last legs and we have to restart the rebuild yet again.

2019-2022 inclusive is just pure ****ing suck with us fist****ing the list and culture at every turn (2023 wasn't exactly stellar either.) An absolute blackhole of embarrassment. We can only pray that the years to come are as bright as the previous years were dark.
🤣 You’ve just about encapsulated it all in that last paragraph, D. Now, if you can just express it in Haiku form, we can request that it be displayed on the banner for our next home game.

Absolutely nailed it Devington

Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back