Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a photo came out that year with Jy, Jed Anderson and someone else all standing there staring at Noble with their arms crossed. Their body language was "Just **** off campaigner". The look on their faces was pretty scornful.
I have to admit, I was perfectly comfortable with Noble's first season (despite the ladder position) as it looked as though there were some green shoots and a game plan developing. We also had the #1 draft pick to come into that team. But something went awry in that offseason leading into his second season. It was clear from the very first game against Hawthorn that he'd changed things up, moved the magnets around, introduced new tactics, and made a right cluster**** out of everything.

Probably needed some training with the boys from the late 90's .... Sounds a bit unlikable .... I'd reckon BC was winding down and not inclined to waste his time on an ingrate, LDU himself still learning and who else was there to learn from? He was even then a better midfielder than Simpkin, and better footballer than LMac. I'm not really a fan of JHF, but but he may have a point. Or half a point. His footballing is fine, his attitude and demeanor is the sticking point.
Ziebs and Goldy were still there, Boomer around the club, I’m sure a senior player could have called a Swallow or even Wells or further back, Simmo, Grant or someone

Dunno rickety … I agree we may not have given him the support he needed but it would have been there…
Tend to agree with the view he wasn’t happy but his manager/fabian must have made overtures to turn his head…

Ziebs and Goldy were still there, Boomer around the club, I’m sure a senior player could have called a Swallow or even Wells or further back, Simmo, Grant or someone

Dunno rickety … I agree we may not have given him the support he needed but it would have been there…
Tend to agree with the view he wasn’t happy but his manager/fabian must have made overtures to turn his head…
This bit definitely didn't help at the time, if the grapevine is to be believed. Allegedly he and Boomer just about came to blows at one point

This bit definitely didn't help at the time, if the grapevine is to be believed. Allegedly he and Boomer just about came to blows at one point
Even so, we could have had someone else help him

Probably needed some training with the boys from the late 90's .... Sounds a bit unlikable .... I'd reckon BC was winding down and not inclined to waste his time on an ingrate, LDU himself still learning and who else was there to learn from? He was even then a better midfielder than Simpkin, and better footballer than LMac. I'm not really a fan of JHF, but but he may have a point. Or half a point. His footballing is fine, his attitude and demeanor is the sticking point.

I think it just highlights how immature he was coming into the system which seems to continue to be his biggest flaw in his game currently.

Apparently he didn't want to talk too much about North...even though it's a podcast about blokes who got sacked at some point.

It was actually fairly interesting otherwise - stuff about his time with Terry Wallace, the Phil Walsh tragedy and his son missing the 2023 finals. His only regret - not doing enough research before taking the North job. Mate, we'd finished 2nd last, trashed the list, been a dog's breakfast in hubs and your predecessor had gone out on stress leave. It was a shit show and you were the bloke who'd been trusted to get it going again. He admitted to being unintentionally shouty in 2022. I just wish that Ralph & McFarlane probed him more as there's a really interesting story there.
They call themselves journalists but never really do journalism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listened to the last ten minutes, thanks for the time stamp, would have frustrated the **** out of me listening through all of that.

our club made some serious blunders appointing coaches, Shaw and Noble were disastrous. Who ever pulled those strings completely cooked the club. Noble was not an AFL standard coach, would have been better off leaving patch or finding an assistant from another club. They would have found one to do the job. ****ing Noble, you can tell from that interview he was out of his depth.

I think support would have been there, but just he was from the other side of town and the support may not have suited him individually. Idk. We saw he gave Goldy 4/5's on the field whichever game it was. So his attitude and respect etc was all parts wrong. Imo. One day he'll scratch out a crayon infused book and he'll blame old Davey Noble for being lost at sea ... and we'll still be none the wiser.

Just listened to the last ten minutes, thanks for the time stamp, would have frustrated the **** out of me listening through all of that.

our club made some serious blunders appointing coaches, Shaw and Noble were disastrous. Who ever pulled those strings completely cooked the club. Noble was not an AFL standard coach, would have been better off leaving patch or finding an assistant from another club. They would have found one to do the job. ****ing Noble, you can tell from that interview he was out of his depth.
You are right that they were both poor choices, but not forgetting, at that time we couldn't even get people like Michael Voss to agree to interview for the job. It was a very small field of options. Noble was probably still the worst option as it turns out, and with Shaw, we were let down by references that failed to shed any light on what turned out to be a mental health concern. Perhaps our fault in the interviewing process for not uncovering that issue, but sometimes you have to trust what you are told.

You are right that he was a poor choice, but not forgetting, at that time we couldn't even get people like Michael Voss to agree to interview for the job. It was a very small field of options. He was probably still the worst option as it turns out.
Voss had been there done that with a bottom struggle team. Still a really poor choice, there would have been plenty of assistants jumping at the job

Voss had been there done that with a bottom struggle team. Still a really poor choice, there would have been plenty of assistants jumping at the job
The argument is that we took the best rated assistant the year before with Shaw and that didn't work for us with where the list and the football department were at. You can see why decisions were made. That doesn't make them the right decisions though.

The argument is that we took the best rated assistant the year before with Shaw and that didn't work for us with where the list and the football department were at. You can see why decisions were made. That doesn't make them the right decisions though.
Was he the best rated assistant coach in the comp? Wouldn’t have thought so

Think he had won that award at Sydney before we brought him over if I remember right

Correct. And he's the only bloke who has won it twice.

Maybe put it down to some dead cat bounce, but to give him some credit, his first 7 weeks of coaching in 2019 was the last time North were aggressive, exciting and fun to watch for a sustained period. Noble had a promising 5 week block in 2021 that had us "The best wooden spooner ever" and we had a nice block of mostly competitive losses at the back end of this year, but you have to go back to Rhyce in 2019 for anything genuinely good.

Sadly, it was too good as he got the job off the back of it, COVID happened and the whole thing went off a cliff and has never recovered.

Hiring Noble was good in theory. He'd been a part of successful rebuilds and we were trying to get our Fagan. It's too bad we ended up hiring someone who had negative football IQ and was an absolute campaigner to deal with at an interpersonal level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back