Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Wife of former AFL star Ricky Olarenshaw arrested in Bali sex raids​

Essendon premiership star Ricky Olarenshaw has left Bali amid claims he was part-owner of a spa allegedly involved in “prostitution practices”.

October 11, 2024 - 5:24PM
Ricky Olarenshaw playing for Essendon.

Ricky Olarenshaw playing for Essendon.

Page 13

Essendon premiership star Ricky Olarenshaw has left Bali amid claims he was a part owner of a spa allegedly engaged in prostitution.
The long-time resident of the Indonesian party island has allegedly abandoned his wife, influencer Sarnanitha, who has now been arrested, and young daughter just before police raided Flame Spa massage parlour last month.
Bali police are reported to have uncovered alleged “prostitution practices” at the spa located in Seminyak, with the three Flame Spa massage parlour branches in Bali now reportedly closed.
Olarenshaw and his business partners are believed to have returned to Australia just before the raids took place.
It is not clear whether Olarenshaw or the other alleged owners had any knowledge of the goings-on at Flame.
Prostitution and sex work is illegal in Bali and considered a crime against “decency and morality” with district police periodically enforcing the law by carrying out raids on the party island.
James Hird and Rick Olarenshaw of the Bombers celebrate winning the 1993 AFL Grand Final. Picture: Getty Images

James Hird and Rick Olarenshaw of the Bombers celebrate winning the 1993 AFL Grand Final. Picture: Getty Images
At the time of the raids head of public relations of the Bali Police, senior commissioner of police Jansen Avitus Panjaitan, said that three women were arrested during the raid.
“The three people are Flame Spa employees, one manager and two receptionists,” Jansen said in his statement in Denpasar last month adding the case was still under investigation.
Olarenshaw’s wife Sarnanitha, who is named as a commissioner at Flame Spa, was later arrested along with director “Purnami” on October 4 and are languishing in Bali police detention cell with the three other spa staff.
“The next process is to immediately obtain legal certainty,” said Jansen.
According to the police, the service rates at Flames Spa — which has the motto “our service is more than just a sensual massage, it is an erotic experience. Our aim is to ignite your flame”, range from $189 to $283 per session.
Flame Spa in Bali.

Flame Spa in Bali.
Inside the Flame Spa.

Inside the Flame Spa.
Flame Spa, where Olarenshaw last year celebrated his 50th “Playboy themed” birthday and was pictured in happier times with his wife, is under the directorship of Ni Ketut Sri Astari which is Sarnanitha’s name.
An influencer and business owner known as Sarnanitha, she has more than 20,000 followers on social media.
She is currently fighting to avoid a lengthy stint in jail and is worried her young daughter with Olarenshaw will be taken away from her.
Sarnanitha, through her lawyer, Donny Tri Istiqomah, made a statement before being detained by police which has been seen by Page 13. According to her, Flame Spa belongs to Olarenshaw and three other Australian citizens.
She states the sensual massage leading to prostitution was run by Olarenshaw and his Australian business partners and felt exploited in the management of Flame Spa which provides sensual massage services.
The Flame Spa workers who are under arrest in Bali. Picture: Bali Police

The Flame Spa workers who are under arrest in Bali. Picture: Bali Police
It is illegal in Bali for a business to be owned by foreign citizens. In Sarnanitha’s statement she says “it has become common knowledge that the majority of businesses in Bali are owned by foreigners which are done illegally ... In some cases, including Flame Spa, the easiest and safest way to keep their business under their control is to marry Balinese women, then the business is in the name of his wife.”
Olarenshaw was a member of the ‘Baby Bombers’ 1993 premiership side.

Olarenshaw was a member of the ‘Baby Bombers’ 1993 premiership side.
In the statement she also alleges that after she and Olarenshaw separated earlier this year, the other shareholders threatened her to hand over the unpaid dividends or else they would imprison Sarnanitha along with other Flame staff “through their network in the police.”
The Herald Sun is not saying her allegations are true only that it has been made.
Page 13 has seen correspondence confirming this between the alleged Flame Australian business owners. None of the alleged men have responded to Page 13’s inquiries when asked about their involvement in Flame Spa.
Olarenshaw is known as ‘The King of Bali’ in AFL circles and last year drew headlines for his “epic” 50th birthday bash, surrounded by pole dancers and scantily clad women.
He moved to the island paradise in 2013 and became a successful businessman off the back of three F45 gym studios.
Rick Olarenshaw.

Rick Olarenshaw.
Olarenshaw was a member of the “Baby Bombers” 1993 premiership side alongside superstars James Hird, Dustin Fletcher and Mark Mercuri. He became a driving force for AFL in Bali, coaching and playing for the local Geckos football team.
Many AFL superstars — including Brownlow Medallist Dustin Martin, Dane Swan and Jordan De Goey — have trained and played with the Geckos during their off-season break.
Olarenshaw has been long known as the go-to man for AFL stars wanting to party in Bali over the past decade.
Olarenshaw’s Playboy-themed 50th in Bali. Pictures: Facebook

Olarenshaw’s Playboy-themed 50th in Bali. Pictures: Facebook
One of his former teammates Wayne Carey — he switched to North Melbourne for one season at the end of his career — has been a regular with his Instagram full of well-known football identities such as Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin and Ricky Nixon.
Olarenshaw played 77 games for Essendon - his debut year was in ‘93 - before spending two seasons at Collingwood in 1999-2000 where he only played five games. He then spent one season at North Melbourne for just one senior appearance before announcing his retirement.
He then moved into a role with Channel 7 as a boundary rider for a number of seasons before being replaced in 2010 by Matthew Richardson.
The Herald Sun is not suggesting any of Olarenshaw’s footy contacts ever used Flame Spa’s services or had any knowledge of it when visiting Bali. When contacted Olarenshaw did not respond to questions put forward by the Herald Sun.
*players and former coaches putting their 'supplements' to use?

Interesting timing
I did an Indonesian language short course many years ago as I'd been travelling to Indo fairly often and I wanted to be able get away from tourist areas, island hopping around by ferry and dodgy aircraft. Most of the dozen or so people doing the course had some similar connection but one guy had lived in Yogjakarta and was planning a return as he had a girlfriend there. As the course drew to its final weeks, this guy mentioned as part of his practice speaking in Bahasa Indonesia that his girl's father was an army General.

An Indonesian army General. When he was named, the teacher just went $$$$$$$$ as the general was apparently somebody who was really important.

The teacher, who was Indonesian himself suddenly went from being a kind and friendly dude who wanted to share his culture and language with his class, to being 100% determined to exploit the relationship with this specific student and the General in particular.

I think that the last couple of weeks were spent with the teacher explaining how knowing a General was the ticket to riches. He latched on to the dude with the girlfriend like nothing I'd ever seen before and was planning to go to Yogjakarta with the guy to meet the general and to set up a business.

Apparently, if you know cops or high ranking military officials you can go far in some countries.

Apparently.

So I've heard anyway.

As for me - I got banned. At least that's what they told me (a long story in itself). I have been back one time since and I wasn't turned away although it was almost 20 years later.

Last edited:
I did an Indonesian language short course many years ago as I'd been travelling to Indo fairly often and I wanted to be able get away from tourist areas, island hopping around by ferry and dodgy aircraft. Most of the dozen or so people doing the course had some similar connection but one guy had lived in Yogjakarta and was planning a return as he had a girlfriend there. As the course drew to its final weeks, this guy mentioned as part of his practice speaking in Bahasa Indonesia that his girl's father was an army General.

An Indonesian army General. When he was named, the teacher just went $$$$$$$$ as the general was apparently somebody who was really important.

The teacher, who was Indonesian himself suddenly went from being a kind and friendly dude who wanted to share his culture and language with his class, to being 100% determined to exploit the relationship with this specific student and the General in particular.

I think that the last couple of weeks were spent with the teacher explaining how knowing a General was the ticket to riches. He latched on to the dude with the girlfriend like nothing I'd ever seen before and was planning to go to Yogjakarta with the guy to meet the general and to set up a business.

Apparently, if you know cops or high ranking military officials you can go far in some countries.

Apparently.

So I've heard anyway.

As for me - I got banned. At least that's what they told me (a long story in itself). I have been back one time since and I wasn't turned away although it was 20 years later.
One of the most corrupt law enforcement body’s on the face of the earth.

My first marriage was in Indo. Got married in Jak. and honeymoon night was spent at the Jak. Hilton. A friend provided a mate as security for the day, biggest lndo l had ever met, nicknamed " Monas " ( if you've been to Jak you'll know ) Nice fella, but quiet.

Anyway, get up to room 3002 or whatever with 3 or 4 people for a nightcap. Got the beers out, but couldn't find an opener. Monas say's " no worries " and proceeds to pull a gun from the back of his daks. Pulls out the clip and and pops the tops on 4 beers, replaces the clip and returns the gun to it's prior position. " Cheers " l sat there not believing what l'd just seen.
Turns out Monas was on a night off from his detail as a security guard to the man Pak Harto himself.

My first marriage was in Indo. Got married in Jak. and honeymoon night was spent at the Jak. Hilton. A friend provided a mate as security for the day, biggest lndo l had ever met, nicknamed " Monas " ( if you've been to Jak you'll know ) Nice fella, but quiet.

Anyway, get up to room 3002 or whatever with 3 or 4 people for a nightcap. Got the beers out, but couldn't find an opener. Monas say's " no worries " and proceeds to pull a gun from the back of his daks. Pulls out the clip and and pops the tops on 4 beers, replaces the clip and returns the gun to it's prior position. " Cheers " l sat there not believing what l'd just seen.
Turns out Monas was on a night off from his detail as a security guard to the man Pak Harto himself.
That connection could have netted you a mint if you'd chased it harder Hoj.

That connection could have netted you a mint if you'd chased it harder Hoj.

Saw " plenty " of dodgy stuff and corruption everytime l was there. Way of life and people didn't blink an eye.

Went to dinner one night in Menteng Dalam ( Jak ) Was a beautiful Buddha statue on the sideboard in the dining room which l admired. My host said " pick it up " Thing was bloody heavy.
32kg of gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone from the mainboard linked to something pretty funny.

1728694042920.png

View attachment 2138981
Give 'em enough rope...

View attachment 2138981
Omg read all the other comments - Ricky047 is definitely him 😅

Herald Sun's take on our trades.

IN: Jack Darling (West Coast), Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs), Luke Parker (Sydney), Jacob Konstanty (Sydney)
OUT: Nil
2024 PICKS: 2, 62
2025 PICKS: No change
Brady Rawlings started the trade period wanting four players and he got four players, just not the best one he wanted. Dan Houston is missing from North Melbourne’s plans, with Jacob Konstanty thrown in late. The Roos didn’t want to dip too far into their draft hand – they put a full hand in like a kid reaching into a showbag. Now they surely have to split pick two and gain a better footprint. How does Jack Darling help? Luke Parker has been brought in for experience, Caleb Daniel couldn’t make it work this year at the Dogs and Konstanty was about to be cut. It may be harsh but these moves on their own don’t make the Roos much better and now they don’t have much draft capital left.
RATING: 3.5/10

IN: Jack Darling (West Coast), Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs), Luke Parker (Sydney), Jacob Konstanty (Sydney)
Brady Rawlings started the trade period wanting four players and he got four players, just not the best one he wanted. Dan Houston is missing from North Melbourne’s plans, with Jacob Konstanty thrown in late. The Roos didn’t want to dip too far into their draft hand – they put a full hand in like a kid reaching into a showbag. Now they surely have to split pick two and gain a better footprint. How does Jack Darling help? Luke Parker has been brought in for experience, Caleb Daniel couldn’t make it work this year at the Dogs and Konstanty was about to be cut. It may be harsh but these moves on their own don’t make the Roos much better and now they don’t have much draft capital left.

A predictably lazy analysis

Well apparently Houston had a problem with us seems a Port Adelaide flog . The 4 that will come in will improve our team . The herald sun isn’t even good enough to wipe one’s backside with let alone relay news .

The Age's take.

6. North Melbourne​

In: Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs/trade), Jack Darling (West Coast/trade), Jacob Konstanty (Sydney/trade), Luke Parker (Sydney/trade)
Out: Picks 25, 44 and 67
Draft picks: 2, 62
Trade grade: B+

It’s tough being North Melbourne in this era, as they fill the club with young talent but struggle to get in the frame for elite talent. However, this was a good trade period for them despite Dan Houston making it clear he did not want to join the Roos, who remained somewhat in the hunt until Monday afternoon. They convinced West Coast premiership forward Jack Darling to come for pick 67 to support Nick Larkey, and Sydney champion Luke Parker for much-needed leadership, although they had to release pick 44 to the Swans, who always play hard. Scoring small forward Jacob Konstanty in the Parker deal was shrewd business, given he was a No.20 pick two years ago. Handing over pick 25 for Caleb Daniel may seem a tad rich, but they wanted experience and went out and got it. Keep a watch on North Melbourne’s pick two, which they may try to split into multiple assets.

Now what was it Rick18 had to say about opinions of Jack Darling's arrival at North Melbourne? How they inform on the writer's knowledge of football?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back