Concussion: Is the AFL doing enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering and Cripps both should have come off for assessments. Cripps copped a bump to the head that looks like broke his nose..?!? How does that not get an assessment??
Let’s see what the AFL says…

Weitering and Cripps both should have come off for assessments. Cripps copped a bump to the head that looks like broke his nose..?!? How does that not get an assessment??
Weitering was hit in the throat and Cripps had his nose broken from sliding contact with an errant shoulder from a dog.

If you want the whole game to slide into a thug fest with designated hitters chosen to go out and deliberately make contact with players heads so that they are forced off the ground irrespective of facts - that is a good way to go about it.

I don’t think Cripps was concussed. Just a very ugly broken nose. Agree he should’ve been assessed for that hit.

I don’t remember the Weitering hit. He looked quite groggy for around 30 seconds, I think someone said he was badly winded hence being hunched over. Again if he were hit in the head an assessment should’ve been done.

Not on the level of Port. They were two players who were clearly knocked out and done for the night. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the AFL gave us a please explain.

I don’t think Cripps was concussed. Just a very ugly broken nose. Agree he should’ve been assessed for that hit.

I don’t remember the Weitering hit. He looked quite groggy for around 30 seconds, I think someone said he was badly winded hence being hunched over. Again if he were hit in the head an assessment should’ve been done.

Not on the level of Port. They were two players who were clearly knocked out and done for the night. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the AFL gave us a please explain.

That then means they probably wont play next week. It will all be ignored.

this is what the sub should be for though; we should have a tactical sub + an injury sub. Injury sub comes on when any player be it concussion or suspected broken bone, hamstring etc for 20 min. if that injury sub plays any longer then the player they have replaced automatically must miss the following week

Jon Ralph going with the please explain from the AFL.

“Fox Footy’s Jon Ralph said the AFL will likely investigate both the Weitering moment and why Carlton captain Patrick Cripps wasn’t HIA tested after he left the field with a bloodied nose from a brutal Kysaiah Pickett bump.

“The AFL will ask why Jacob Weitering was not out of the game at least for a concussion test … My understanding is the Carlton doctors were trying to get him off in those frantic final moments, were not able to do that,” he said.

I’m obviously biased but I genuinely believe weitering got hit in the throat and was struggling to breathe.

Cripps did come off with a bloody nose so was at least assessed by the doctors in some way but clearly not run through a full HIA.

Don’t think the optics of it are superb and we know doctors are as fallible as anyone else but unless one or both of them end up failing a test in the next few days I don’t think the AFL will do anything about it.

If either of them pulls up lame then we’re looking at a port Adelaide type punishment

“Fox Footy’s Jon Ralph said the AFL will likely investigate both the Weitering moment and why Carlton captain Patrick Cripps wasn’t HIA tested after he left the field with a bloodied nose from a brutal Kysaiah Pickett bump.

“The AFL will ask why Jacob Weitering was not out of the game at least for a concussion test … My understanding is the Carlton doctors were trying to get him off in those frantic final moments, were not able to do that,” he said.

There was 15 minutes left when Weitering got hit.

"Final frantic moments" my arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s great both players are ok.
But both should have come off for assessments.

Carlton and Port have shown that clubs have too much self interest to be able to make these calls.

The afl need to have doctors that do this on the sideline for them.

I definitely agree it wasn't the level of port, and I didn't get a good look at the contact, but to me Weitering looked more than winded.

Curious what, if anything, the AFL do.

this is what the sub should be for though; we should have a tactical sub + an injury sub. Injury sub comes on when any player be it concussion or suspected broken bone, hamstring etc for 20 min. if that injury sub plays any longer then the player they have replaced automatically must miss the following week
Just have 6 on the bench a use them as you like. You only have 75 rotations and most teams you closer to 70. It probably means overall a couple of those players will only play 40-50% game time anyway.

Cripps had to come off and get the bleeding stopped. They obviously saw no signs that warranted a broader test.
Weitering appeared to cop a hit to the throat. He might have been light headed due to being unable to get enough oxygen for a few minutes.
A trainer came out to him and he appeared to say 'I'm fine'. They were seen reviewing the footage quite closely and must have deemed no head knock.
Don't the AFL now have independent doctors reviewing the footage as well?
I mean, if we are found to be derelict in our duty to assess, then we cop whatever the penalty is, but until there's proof to that effect, then I'll have to assume they did their due diligence.

It rightly should be investigated. That doesn't automatically mean they've done something wrong.
It's an interesting situation. If the club and doctors are telling him to come off to get assessed, but the player refuses to come off, can you force them off? How do you do that?
Only way I can think of is by the umps stopping the game similar to the blood rule, but currently umps have no power in this regard.

Hit on the throat ha ha ha - yeah that always makes you wobble around like Bambi on ice. 🙄
Could've been hypoxia. Had just been involved in some intense, physical play where he would've been sucking in air from exhaustion. Then cops an elbow to the throat preventing him from getting that oxygen in, causing dizziness and light headed. Seemed fine in a couple of plays straight after.

It rightly should be investigated. That doesn't automatically mean they've done something wrong.
It's an interesting situation. If the club and doctors are telling him to come off to get assessed, but the player refuses to come off, can you force them off? How do you do that?
Only way I can think of is by the umps stopping the game similar to the blood rule, but currently umps have no power in this regard.

I think if there is enough concern from club doctors after the game that they carried out a SCAT test afterwards, then that probably says there was enough concern to warrant that one should have been undertaken at the time.

Now who knows if he actually was slightly concussed at the time or not but in all the years of watching and playing sport, I have never seen someone sway and be so disoriented like that following a knock to the neck. Gasping for air yes, grabbing and holding your neck in pain yes, but swaying side to side like that and almost unable to stand, that’s a new one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Concussion: Is the AFL doing enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back