News CONFIRMED: Stevie J to play farewell game on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't have thought that Stevie would've put his hand up and retired out of his own will... So that raises the question of whether the club nudged him out? If they did, it was a diabolical decision, as he still has plenty to give, and it's not like we are desperate to free up spots on the list - we've already got about 5 confirmed outs this year plus 3 or so who would come before Johnson in the queue to the exit door. We aren't going to recruit 10 New players in the off-season so why axe so many players unnecessarily?

We made 8 list changes to the senior list last year and that was without bringing in any high profile free agents (blease was the only one as the 40th spot on the senior list). If we can get a couple of free agents without giving up picks, plus with the ability to trade future picks in play (meaning we can still have picks available this year) it's not unfeasible we could turn over 9 or 10 spots if we get in the players we want.

I'd be forgetting about Leuenberger, Kreuzer (lol) or Smith. I'd go and offer Lobbe a big contract and see if he wants to return home to VIC.
With Ryder looking like their preferred ruck, Redden in the wings, Lobbe may indeed look around at seasons end.

He's never going to be a superstar but he is durable and he would most certainly partner up well with Stanley.

Dare I suggest....also opening up some extra cash?

Maybe, although I would suggest with the other retirements we have enough cash to get Dasnger andothers (who will be backloaded anyway) without 1 more year from SJ being a huge issue.

I can only assume it's about spots in the 22 more than anyone else.

We made 8 list changes to the senior list last year and that was without bringing in any high profile free agents (blease was the only one as the 40th spot on the senior list). If we can get a couple of free agents without giving up picks, plus with the ability to trade future picks in play (meaning we can still have picks available this year) it's not unfeasible we could turn over 9 or 10 spots if we get in the players we want.

Two of those changes resulted in us directly getting another player in a trade without sacrificing our draft position, Clark in for Varoce and Stanley in for Christensen. We also promoted Blicavs in addition to Blease. So we only had 4 picks at the draft.

If we trade this year it will most likely weaken our draft position, plus we don't have any rookies worth promoting. If we make too many changes we're going to be going very deep into a poor draft. IMO 8 seems to be the most I'd want to take.

Wrote in another thread that he was one of only 3 players this year to average over 20 possessions and 1 goal per game.

I remember when G.Ablett snr retired I thought it was at least one year too early - I have similar feelings with regard to SJ. i seem to recall Ablett being squeezed out by Ayres - I wonder whether similar is happening here with SJ and Scott?
This is the article and the quote with that info, Year of the Cat (he was one of only two forwards with those stats, btw):

The Herald Sun can reveal the 32-year-old is only one of two forwards in the game to average more than 20 disposals, one score assist and one goal per game this season.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-attacking-force/story-fni5f6yf-1227470095669

Further to that, there are some other stats that might interest posters here (date of article Aug 4th 2015)-

While Johnson’s output is clearly down on last season, the champion Cat has played only 23 per cent of his overall game time in the midfield in 2015, considerably less than 2014 (67 per cent) and 2013 (63 per cent).

In attack, the numbers show the eighth-placed Cats still lean heavily on Johnson to hit the scoreboard.

According to Champion Data, Johnson has been involved in 27.3 per cent of all of Geelong’s scores this season – ranked second at the club behind only captain Joel Selwood.

For a forward, he is ranked elite for disposals (20.4) and uncontested possessions, and above average for score involvements (6.3) and pressure acts (14.6).

I said somewhere else that I hoped they played Cowan this week and throw him in the deep end. We need to see if he can cut it now....with the option of rookie list for him an option....

Bartel will play next year....he had a horror year with injury and while his last two games in particular weren't great, he could still be of value next year IMO.
I am absolutely sure the coaches know whether or not Cowan will make it. BF posters are way down on the list of people who NEED to know.

This is the article and the quote with that info, Year of the Cat (he was one of only two forwards with those stats, btw):

The Herald Sun can reveal the 32-year-old is only one of two forwards in the game to average more than 20 disposals, one score assist and one goal per game this season.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-attacking-force/story-fni5f6yf-1227470095669

Further to that, there are some other stats that might interest posters here (date of article Aug 4th 2015)-

While Johnson’s output is clearly down on last season, the champion Cat has played only 23 per cent of his overall game time in the midfield in 2015, considerably less than 2014 (67 per cent) and 2013 (63 per cent).

In attack, the numbers show the eighth-placed Cats still lean heavily on Johnson to hit the scoreboard.

According to Champion Data, Johnson has been involved in 27.3 per cent of all of Geelong’s scores this season – ranked second at the club behind only captain Joel Selwood.

For a forward, he is ranked elite for disposals (20.4) and uncontested possessions, and above average for score involvements (6.3) and pressure acts (14.6).

how does he rank with Dream Team or whatever it is that champion data use to help rate a players season?

Two of those changes resulted in us directly getting another player in a trade without sacrificing our draft position, Clark in for Varoce and Stanley in for Christensen. We also promoted Blicavs in addition to Blease. So we only had 4 picks at the draft.

If we trade this year it will most likely weaken our draft position, plus we don't have any rookies worth promoting. If we make too many changes we're going to be going very deep into a poor draft. IMO 8 seems to be the most I'd want to take.

Not that this is quite the right thread for it but there are several possiblities:
a) one pick traded for multiple players (as I have floated with pick 8)
b) we trade future picks for guys like Henderson keeping this year's picks free
c) we trade one pick for two slightly later picks, e.g. our 2nd round for 2 later 2nd rounds, we have form doing this and considering the lack of depth in the draft other clubs will be willing
d) we can choose to run at 38 on the senior list and have 2 extra spots for nominated rookies if we want (I doubt we will but the rules now allow it)
e) we trade out players for players as we did last year e.g. surplus players might be involved in the Henderson trade
f) we only got 1 free agent in last year, this year with the cap space we have we could get 3 or more FA's.

Either way I think we could turn over more than 8 spots if we want to.

This is getting messy. I really hope it isn't true. He has shown enough to go another year and it is no secret that he wants to.

Of course we love all the players (especially the older ones) and never want to see them retire. That's the role of the fans.

But the people at the club who are paid to make the right decisions are making some very strange calls. And this isn't the first year.

At some point you start to wonder.

Getting back to SJ, word from the media folk and from respected posters here is that he'd make an excellent coach. Surely, I mean surely, if this is the case, we'd be his first choice, and we, likewise, would want to keep one of our own. He wouldn't be the messiah for the cats, or part of a succession plan, just a great player transitioning? I cannot believe that this club that I've come to adore so quickly would throw this club great away like this, especially when he could play another year in a forward pocket, or as a designated super sub (am aware that rule will probably change). I didn't follow the club for the Chappy decision, or for the Ablett walk out, and I missed Stokes', Kelly's and Bartel's golden years. I never saw Scarlo, or Corey, or Ling, but I know that all these players made Geelong what we were and influenced what we have become. Some decisions I understand were player driven, some club calls, and as an outsider in a way, I think the Chappy call was the right one. But this isn't! It just cant be! Stevie was bloody awful for the first part of the season, but he's really found form, and that hotspot seems to have been a non issue this season. One more year, and then coaching. Sign him for three, one for 15 games as a player, on bloody no money if we can, and then two as an assistant. This is bloody getting to me guys

Perhaps they, and SJ, feel some experience outside the Geelong bubble would add depth to his coaching....fresh systems and strategies employed by other clubs..different structures...different environment.....might just make him a little more "rounded" when his time comes to take a coaching role.

Frankly, thats all i can come up with.

Getting back to SJ, word from the media folk and from respected posters here is that he'd make an excellent coach. Surely, I mean surely, if this is the case, we'd be his first choice, and we, likewise, would want to keep one of our own. He wouldn't be the messiah for the cats, or part of a succession plan, just a great player transitioning? I cannot believe that this club that I've come to adore so quickly would throw this club great away like this, especially when he could play another year in a forward pocket, or as a designated super sub (am aware that rule will probably change). I didn't follow the club for the Chappy decision, or for the Ablett walk out, and I missed Stokes', Kelly's and Bartel's golden years. I never saw Scarlo, or Corey, or Ling, but I know that all these players made Geelong what we were and influenced what we have become. Some decisions I understand were player driven, some club calls, and as an outsider in a way, I think the Chappy call was the right one. But this isn't! It just cant be! Stevie was bloody awful for the first part of the season, but he's really found form, and that hotspot seems to have been a non issue this season. One more year, and then coaching. Sign him for three, one for 15 games as a player, on bloody no money if we can, and then two as an assistant. This is bloody getting to me guys

May I ask when you became a Geelong fan and why? If you werent even around for Chappys departure you must be quiet new to the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps they, and SJ, feel some experience outside the Geelong bubble would add depth to his coaching....fresh systems and strategies employed by other clubs..different structures...different environment.....might just make him a little more "rounded" when his time comes to take a coaching role.

Which isn't too silly a suggestion. Places can become like echo chambers. We hear how involved our senior players have been in decisions because they are so highly respected, but people have also questioned our coaching. Maybe it is time for some new voices, tweak an assistant, some older players going, get this next generation to own the game plan. They need to stand on their own unburdened by the legacy they inherit.

Stevie J will find his feet, always has. We gave him a place that allowed him to become a legendary footballer. He did his part by living up to that potential. Both club and player have given us, the fans of football, someone we can tell our kids about.

Proud of Stevie Js achievements, loved watching him play, enjoyed the theatrics, groaned at the silly stuff, he was our entertainer. Cash or credit? Either way it was a bargain.

Again, bloody sad, to see the guys who built such an amazing era for us, finally hang the boots up.

I'll remember the cheeky Johnson foremost. Loved it when he kicked that sealer goal against the pies in the 11GF. Then proceeded to give a mouthful of expletives to Pendles and any other pies player around him.

Never forget his magic either. Unbelievably gifted player. Thank god we didn't trade him to the pies.

A real superstar, I think it may get lost over time but he really was something special.

Hope he plays on somewhere.

Will be hugely missed, but best to go while still contributing. Still very. sad if true. Best to earn coaching chops elsewhere and to maybe come back to the fold in a few years if he chooses. Would Scott want him on his coaches panel anyway? He may love the guy, but he might want a break from managing Stevie for a while.

I was gutted when Chapman left to finish up with Essendon but looking at it right now it was 100% the right decision.

These blokes have to go...

Agreed. I was pretty shirty at the whole Chappy situation - the way he left sucked as well. Sub in a losing final to Freo - in his 250th no less! - then playing a pearler against Port that gave most Cat fans a semi - then suspended so he couldn't play against the Hawks in an elimination Final we lost by a kick:(

Hindsight is wonderful yet only proves itself after the fact. I couldn't see it then but I can see it now. Matthew Scarlett's final year in the hoops was only so-so and I reckon he played one season more than he should have.

Even so, there's something to be said for a player calling time themselves instead of getting tapped on the shoulder by form or the match committee.

I hope our vets do the right thing:thumbsu:

The link between him and balmey might see him in a off feild role w the pies.
We can't expect to have all of our premiership hero's be in the coaches box, from joel corey to lingy. Maybe for SJ's growth he needs to go to another club.

I'm not big on sentiment, but I'm grateful for what he has delivered throughout his career.
His pending retirement has come at the right time. A year too soon is MUCH better than a year to long.

Yep, like seeing a great boxer go one fight too many. It takes a little shine off the legend.

Incredibly short memories from everyone hear. For most of the year everyone was saying he's cooked and is lucky to be in the team still. He's been a great of the club and I've loved watching him but this is the right decision.

Also Enright is so far and away our best performed oldie this year it's not funny. He wouldn't be far off the AA squad of 40.
Those people were morons. He has been in our top 5 players in over 10 games this season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News CONFIRMED: Stevie J to play farewell game on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back