Consequence of having both depth and an even spread of talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Roosolution

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The playing list requires absolute minimal change if any from now on.

Which players on our list are you most comfortable to let go of?

This was my list at the start of the year. A few of them already look very safe.

Firrito (28) - Just about written off by BF. He's had a great start.
Campbell (25) - Was OK on the weekend. Got a 2 year deal anyway.
McKinley (25) - He's a 185cm FF. Just doesn't fit in. A near certainty to be gone.
Anthony (24) - Has had a super start to the year. Should be safe.
Richardson (24) - Mature aged recruits don't get too many chances. Despite the hip problem during the PS, he'll need to break into the 1st 18 to keep his spot on the list.
Warren (23) - An honest battler. Hard to see the upside. Doesn't belong in a top 8 side.
Garlett (23) - He'll get his chance at some point and he'll need to take it. Can't keep a spot on the list on the back of VFL performances at his age. A real shame he got injured as he appeared to have turned the corner with his fitness.
Speight (21) - Should be alright if he works hard on the areas that need developing in the VFL.
Sierakowski (21) - A step up in his VFL performances would suffice. Still quite skinny and is a developing player, despite this being his 4th year on an AFL list.
Kennedy (20) - Glimpses in the VFL is all he needs in a recovery year.

Rookies:

Gibson (25) - Needs to dominate VFL at the very least. If he gets an AFL chance, he needs to take it.
Lynch (24) - See Gibson. Really difficult with the mature aged players. If by the end of the season we simply don't need them, we may as well grab some new talent.
Urqs (23) - Gone. We could end up paying him 350k to play VFL reserves this year.
Daw (21) - Contracted for next year. Will be elevated.
Mangan (20) - Not sure really. Don't know much about him.
Mullett (20) - Going great guns. Probably 23rd-24th man at the moment. Hasn't put a foot wrong.

We have a lot of height in the ressies at the moment. Hansen, Grima, Pedersen, Black, Daw, Mabon, Tarrant, C. Delaney are all pushing for a senior spot and would definitely replace another tall, not a mid.

Kennedy, Mangan and McKinley are basically just undersized KPPs.

End of the year some decisions will have to be made on quite a few of these. That's way too much KP talent to be simply wasting away in the VFL.

I would rate the following as safe for now: Daw, Mabon, C. Delaney, Black, Mangan, Kennedy. Would be mighty harsh on the last 2 given this is basically their first season at North. Ditto Mabon. The others were always going to take some time.

Hansen, Grima, Pedersen, Tarrant. Have had plenty of time to cement a spot in the side, need to finish off the year strongly and bash down the door for a senior game. Tarrant and Pedo the most likely to be in strife.

McKinley is gone. Probably Warren too unless he can reinvent himself.

Garlett and Richo could be kept for depth.

Sierakowski will surely get at least a 2nd season here.

Lynch and Gibbo will have been expected to make an immediate impact though.

Levi and Speight are good enough to play AFL, no worries. If they don't pick things up though, might be dangled in front of an SA club.

At this stage, Flash, LA and Spud look the goods for 2013.

Urquhart I will not speak of again. Gone.

Bit early for this, should save this discussion for later on in the year. The only obvious ones to let go of are urqs, mckinley and richardson

I don't know why GWS would go after Bastinac. As good as he is, they have a few skinny, talented running mids. They need KPP.

I hope he doesn't go as I think Lachie will come good - but he would have some currency as they need strong, young KPP players. We could also afford to trade him in the new superdraft year too... Again, I hope he stays.

Similarly, but not to the same extent, Tarrant, a Delaney & Pedo would have value too.

I got a feeling that Bastinac is gone for certain, but we must treat him as a great upcoming player. We need to get him in the leadership group, we need to be a big club with a big club tolerance level, not like eddie that bites at everything. We need to do everything right for Bastianc, i.e. create a right environment for players, be supportive to him, appreciative of talent, recognition of talent and giving good talents the opportunity to become a great player.

We need to do everything right by Bastinac and despite everything he still leaves then it prob means this is not the club for him but if he leaves despite we doing anything then i doubt he will have much respect anywhere else, if he is this kind of person then he will be forever labelled a money scavaging mercenery worse than scully. If we cant have him, we will try and damage his reputation badly enough that others think twice about him anywhere else. We need to work ourselves into a win win situation.

As indicated, a bit early in the season for this BUT list management will be a nightmare over the next few seasons.
My only concern with the Lachie trade is a lot on BF use to bash Drew a few years back and look where he is now. I can't imagine him at another club, we would be cringing everytime he played if we'd let him go.
I have faith in Lachie, hope he cements his spot in our back 6.

Cheers all

I got a feeling that Bastinac is gone for certain, but we must treat him as a great upcoming player. We need to get him in the leadership group, we need to be a big club with a big club tolerance level, not like eddie that bites at everything. We need to do everything right for Bastianc, i.e. create a right environment for players, be supportive to him, appreciative of talent, recognition of talent and giving good talents the opportunity to become a great player.

We need to do everything right by Bastinac and despite everything he still leaves then it prob means this is not the club for him but if he leaves despite we doing anything then i doubt he will have much respect anywhere else, if he is this kind of person then he will be forever labelled a money scavaging mercenery worse than scully. If we cant have him, we will try and damage his reputation badly enough that others think twice about him anywhere else. We need to work ourselves into a win win situation.
I have the complete opposite feeling, I think he will sign very soon and the people involved at north seem confident also

I'm pleased with the couple of games Mabon has played on TV.

And he's listed at 200 cm and 81kgs in theTrue North March 2012.

He's a work in progress and a body in progress as well.

Ben Speight worries me a little - he's been on the fringe of senior selection for too long. Time to demand promotion with scintillating form for Werribee.

Urquart is the only definite.

I hope Kennedy can get on the park and string some games together. If not, who knows?

I got a feeling that Bastinac is gone for certain, but we must treat him as a great upcoming player..

We already do. He's an important part of the future and he already knows this.

We need to get him in the leadership group, we need to be a big club with a big club tolerance level, not like eddie that bites at everything.

No, we don't. Petrie, Swallow, Wells, Ziebell is more than enough, and will be around for a few years yet.

We need to do everything right for Bastianc, i.e. create a right environment for players, be supportive to him, appreciative of talent, recognition of talent and giving good talents the opportunity to become a great player.

We already are/have. You're underselling the club and showing scant respect for our culture and player development capabilities to think otherwise.

We need to do everything right by Bastinac and despite everything he still leaves then it prob means this is not the club for him but if he leaves despite we doing anything then i doubt he will have much respect anywhere else, if he is this kind of person then he will be forever labelled a money scavaging mercenery worse than scully.

The ball is totally in his court. if he has the right character, he stays. If he doesn't, he'll go and that will be his loss more than ours.

If we cant have him, we will try and damage his reputation badly enough that others think twice about him anywhere else. We need to work ourselves into a win win situation.

Yeah, that's not our style and slagging his reputation just means less at the trade table for North Melbourne.

I figured everyone knew that Radical Roo was a troll?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After sundays game he´s going nowhere............The club wont want it and more importantly he wont want it. We´re the giant that has just woken and he is a major part of it. The club is doing everything right at the moment. More importantly we´ve hopped on the express train and its FINALS BOUND BABY!! He can have email relationship with Scully. They can live together/near each other when they retire.

I figured everyone knew that Radical Roo was a troll?

6286540901_361da9cc4c_z.jpg

As indicated, a bit early in the season for this BUT list management will be a nightmare over the next few seasons.
My only concern with the Lachie trade is a lot on BF use to bash Drew a few years back and look where he is now. I can't imagine him at another club, we would be cringing everytime he played if we'd let him go.
I have faith in Lachie, hope he cements his spot in our back 6.

Cheers all

The problem with Lachie is.......................he needs his nuts need to drop.
He´s still puppy dog....:D
He needs to sprinkle concrete on his cornflakes that type of stuff. He has to have the hard questions asked does he want to play AFL footy. He is playing ok footy at the moment....maybe those close to his ears have to remind him each week that theres such and such who keeping him out of the team etc.
Frustrating player at the moment......

Remove this Banner Ad

Consequence of having both depth and an even spread of talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back