Autopsy Not even a yelp v hawks. Imagine if it was dry.

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most important cultural shifts they'll have is some consistency. Hopefully the people running the side put expectations on the players - the same expectations for several seasons.

One of the clips that was posted of Larkey on that show the other night which I was referring to in that post he said the best thing about Clarkson was the stability and the knowledge that the same expectations and all the rest would be there instead of everything changing every season.

As shit as the last few weeks have been before that there were definitely some changes in the right direction. Guys like Curtis, Zurhaar and Ford were being unselfish in looking for their teammates. To the point it cost them but it shows they're trying to learn something about playing for your teammates and after making a few errors they should work out when to be selfish and when not to be instead of just one or the other all the time. That's a cultural improvement.

Even in the Eagles game the level of pressure and intensity was heaps better than the first game I saw this year.

It all went out the window when they dropped their bundle but that's not because they stopped trying or didn't give a shit. It was cos they panicked and freaked out. I'd expect they go away, feel bad about doing that and resolve to improve and fix the situation by working on things to prevent it happening next time.

If we can't do that the club's ****ed obviously.
👍In a nutshell, Ferbs.

Peter Burge began back at the Hawks as High Performance Manager for the 2022/23 preseason.

He was previously at Richmond from 2013-2022 so during their three flags. Before that, he spent part of 2012 at the Saints leaving apparently because the standards were too poor and weren't going to change. Before that, he was Strength and Conditioning Manager at the Hawks from 2005-2011 - one flag but arguably was part of the foundation for more.

He came 6th in the 2000 Olympics in the triple jump. Spent his time at the AIS under ruthless, hard ar$e coaches. Is an absolute hard ar$e himself. That young Hawks side is clearly a lot stronger and fitter than our 'young' side. They look like elite athletes. Their small players don't look weak - they're menaces.

Kevin White probably knows his stuff - has done a great job rehabbing Wardlaw. But most of our players don't look like or perform like elite athletes. That's on them but Viney, Clarkson and whoever is our Head of High Performance need to be far more ruthless about what's expected in the offseason - how they turn up on day 1.

DarwinRoo likes this post

Do you think this is cos they are lazy and stupid or cos they don't know what to do because they are badly coached?

Cos to me fixing this would immediately make us a five goal+ better side. It stands out like dogs balls and nothing else on the field.

I think our entire team is devoid of confidence in their own abilities to actually win games of football and as such get stuck in a mental paralysis which sees them unable to to the things they know they should and can.

I don’t buy we have no talent.

I don’t buy we were so exhausted we couldn’t even compete the last two weeks. Not physically anyway.

I do buy that losing to west coast in the way we did shot us mentally. Compounded by player losses in the dogs game.

This down turn and the losses has been relentless. We have one of the staunchest cores of supporters and this shit is fraying people. The two most common emotions I feel after a game are anger and disappointment.

I do not know what changes to fix it but something has to.

We are in no way hard to beat. We’re a known quantity by every side. If they push hard enough long enough we break. If a side does it early enough in a game they thump us.

I think our entire team is devoid of confidence in their own abilities to actually win games of football and as such get stuck in a mental paralysis which sees them unable to to the things they know they should and can.

I don’t buy we have no talent.

Yeah I agree.

I don’t buy we were so exhausted we couldn’t even compete the last two weeks. Not physically anyway.

I do buy that losing to west coast in the way we did shot us mentally. Compounded by player losses in the dogs game.

They looked cooked out there yesterday. Reminded me of some teams I've played in when the season is done, players are injured and the weather is shit. I was furious when I left the ground but after thinking about it its not that surprising.

They're mentally cooked. Hopefully the pre season can do wonders for them.

People can play like shit, look inside themselves and resolve to do better.

Hawthorn did it this year but as I said before (and got canned for it) they had a bunch of players who were either premiership players or played with those premiership players and also played finals. They know what it takes, what to say and can call on their own experience to back it up, then lead by example on field. Part of our problem is we have to build that.

This down turn and the losses has been relentless. We have one of the staunchest cores of supporters and this shit is fraying people. The two most common emotions I feel after a game are anger and disappointment.

I do not know what changes to fix it but something has to.

We are in no way hard to beat. We’re a known quantity by every side. If they push hard enough long enough we break. If a side does it early enough in a game they thump us.

Luck plays a part. That gaol overturned in the Collingwood game like it should have been, we come back to beat melbourne (ie another minute or two of play) and that mark payed to Chom against the Eagles and the boys are saying to each other, "well that was close but we hung on and we chased those Dees campaigners down as well."

And then they don't feel everything is hopeless. then they believe and become harder to beat cos they know they can hang on.

They were the worst possible outcomes really.

Did my usual replay review again. Gross.

We got smashed in clearances. The amount of times it was Phillips or Powell's opponent who won that clearance, even when they were the sweeper, was flipping alarming.
At the game it looked like a nightmare. I don't remember LDU getting a clearance either.

There was comment from Buckley on the telecast which I thought was right on point, was that Mitchell has focused on the basics and getting them right across the board.

Very rarely did you see them **** up any fundamental skill, basic decision.

The contrast was ****ing dire.

There was comment from Buckley on the telecast which I thought was right on point, was that Mitchell has focused on the basics and getting them right across the board.

Very rarely did you see them **** up any fundamental skill, basic decision.

The contrast was ****ing dire.
**** me dead. The basics, isn’t that what is taught in auskick?

At the game it looked like a nightmare. I don't remember LDU getting a clearance either.
They're straight liabilities in there unfortunately. LDU was beaten all day but managed to halve the stoppage more often than not. It looks like we went with Jy and Wardlaw as the hit-to half way through the second quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're straight liabilities in there unfortunately. LDU was beaten all day but managed to halve the stoppage more often than not. It looks like we went with Jy and Wardlaw as the hit-to half way through the second quarter.
I haven't subjected myself to the post mortem (kudos for the effort), but when your ruck is the leading clearance player, obviously there's big problems.

The notion that we've done the midfield build and can move onto other needs is just a wee bit premature (even allowing for Harry's absence). The Thomas mess really hurts from a football perspective, even if it was culturally and morally the correct decision

Do you think this is cos they are lazy and stupid or cos they don't know what to do because they are badly coached?

Cos to me fixing this would immediately make us a five goal+ better side. It stands out like dogs balls and nothing else on the field.
Bit of both probably. Pink and Testes are both average footballers, not natural forwards and have only played a few games. Curtis is either dumb or brilliant with no in-between.
As good as Larkey is, he rarely halves a contest. If it's not a great kick or a joe the goose his man beats him. Clarko knows this, so put Pink up there to make more contests. Actually worked and made us look better post bye. I can't believe that Patch wouldn't be teaching blocking tactics but I think some of our limited players don't have the craft to do it. Curtis is actually okay at it and will get better over time.
It's also no coincidence that when the midfield gets smashed, the forward line struggles. Zurhar would win more one on ones if the kicks were ever in his favour.

The forward group should dedicate one day a week to watching behind the goals footage of Gunston, preferably with one of those devices that pin their eyes open. I can't emphasise enough how good he is up close. Sicily also. He only had one functional arm and seemed hobbled but still towelled us up.
Not recruiting Watson is another huge mistake that compounds the issue.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I haven't subjected myself to the post mortem (kudos for the effort), but when your ruck is the leading clearance player, obviously there's big problems.

The notion that we've done the midfield build and can move onto other needs is just a wee bit premature (even allowing for Harry's absence). The Thomas mess really hurts from a football perspective, even if it was culturally and morally the correct decision

And JHF :(

So LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher & Simpkin.

That is all we have unfortunately, could easily have been JHF, Reid, LDU, Thomas, Sheezel. Cripes!

And JHF :(

So LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher & Simpkin.

That is all we have unfortunately, could easily have been JHF, Reid, LDU, Thomas, Sheezel. Cripes!

“LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher & Simpkin”

That is still a fair bit of talent to work with.

We got hope for Payne with a full ( well, North Melbourne ) pre-season ?

Liam Shiels loves his attitude and said to old mate a couple of weeks ago, " I got one to watch", old mate said ok, who.

Georgie Payne was the answer, yeah he's miles off from the required fitness levels, but loves his attitude and his aggression. Says he;s Wardlaw like with his hunting abilty.

So let's see , fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Not even a yelp v hawks. Imagine if it was dry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back