List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Callum Wilkie of the Saints came from the Rookie Draft as well if I remember, and he hasn't lost a defensive one-on-one yet this year.

Taking a look around the league at each clubs key defenders and looking at where they’ve been taken says it all, really.

Some old campaigners might not like it, but proof is in the pudding.

I looked at their board to see what their fans were thinking as far as targets:
  • Ben Keays (fills an obvious need for mid-forward that they only have 37 of)
  • Harley Reid (JHF request to them incoming)
  • Sam Taylor (right target at least, but to get him they're hoping the AFL lets them pay him obscene money outside the cap)
  • Jed Busslinger (Would get games for them and they can get him for nothing)
Hah, yeah, just read the Reid claims.

Apparently some numpty thinks his parents invited Clarko to lunch today.

Props to King Corey for suggesting it was to thank him for winning the game against GC :D

Nostra doing his usual, thinking it's to develop a 'relationship' for 2 years time.

Reckon Reid will lose interest when Eagles offer him a HJ's franchise and finds out Norf can't even offer him a spot to park his car...

Brynn Teakle could be a MSD option for an AFL club including WC , would free up Bailey Williams .
Teakle improving in leaps and bounds .

Too many ruckman but could give WC more flexibility this year anyway .
Isn't that the point of Flynn, who's back in 4 or so weeks?

We dont have a MSD spot available.

For those in the back or hard of hearing...

WE. DON'T. HAVE. A. MSD. SPOT. AVAILABLE.

Unless someone goes out with a season ending injury there is no point even looking at the MSD.
We don't have a spot at the moment.
A lot can change.

I guess the point is, is there anyone we're interested in?

Last edited:
Naughton isn’t really part of the discussion. He’s not playing as a key back, and he hasn’t played back for years. And neither is Blakey. Even though he’s 196cm he’s not a KPD.

McCasey - bust
Grainger-Barrass - bust

More to the point, I can’t think of a single club other than Carlton whose key back was drafted with a top 10 pick and drafted based on their ability to play KPD in their draft year

More to the point of you look at most clubs KPD’s very few are taken with top 10 picks.

Gov - Rookie
TB - pick 43
Sicily - pick in the 70’s from memory
Harris Andrews - pick 61
Sam Taylor - 26
May - zone selection
McCartin 33
Balta 25
Pearce - 37
Once again you are convenient with the truth. My takeaway from your comments are that we should not draft a KPD early. You then say generally this, and always that and then we must do something else. I ask for sufficient examples of why not draft a KPD early and you came back with 2 examples (McCasey's issues were pretty well known in recruiting circles prior to the draft). That is not generally.

A simple question. From what we know now and we hold a top 10 pick, would you take Gov, May, Lever, or Taylor?

Let me slow down and inquire as to why you would not draft a KPD in the top 10?

Who’s list is in better shape right now - West Coast or Hawks?
I'd say ours, tbh. Haws don't look to have much coming through. The DGB miss was a massive fail.

Injuries haven't helped though, so they're probably better than what they've been dishing up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say ours, tbh. Haws don't look to have much coming through. The DGB miss was a massive fail.

Injuries haven't helped though, so they're probably better than what they've been dishing up.
Does the quality of our youth coming through come close to matching theirs though outside of Reid? Their midfield development seems to have dropped off the pace miles this year after looking outstanding last year, particularly with clearances.

Does the quality of our youth coming through come close to matching theirs though outside of Reid? Their midfield has dropped off the pace miles this year after looking outstanding last year, particularly with clearances.
They did a North and cut too deep and now they have a bunch of kids with little to support it.

Once again you are convenient with the truth. My takeaway from your comments are that we should not draft a KPD early. You then say generally this, and always that and then we must do something else. I ask for sufficient examples of why not draft a KPD early and you came back with 2 examples (McCasey's issues were pretty well known in recruiting circles prior to the draft). That is not generally.

A simple question. From what we know now and we hold a top 10 pick, would you take Gov, May, Lever, or Taylor?

Let me slow down and inquire as to why you would not draft a KPD in the top 10?

Once again, I’m having to explain things to you multiple time, because you seem to struggle to understand simple concepts.

There’s little to no point retrofitting current A grade KPD’s and asking if I would spend a top 10 pick on them. The answer should be obvious.

What you seem to not understand is across the competition almost all clubs KPD’s were not top 10 picks.

The exception is Weitering and Moore who was drafted based on his work as a forward.

On that basis it makes little sense to draft a KPD with a top pick, particularly in an environment where top picks are scarce.

Everyone else in this thread appears to be able to understand and grasp this except you.

This is more of a you than a me problem.

Does the quality of our youth coming through come close to matching theirs though outside of Reid? Their midfield development seems to have dropped off the pace miles this year after looking outstanding last year, particularly with clearances.

No. But it’s not really a like for like comparison.

Overall their youth are better. They also started drafting heavily two years before us.

Even if we take Harley out, I think we are ahead of where they were two years ago.

Well to be fair its getting close to mid season and Hewett is nowhere near anything.

You'd hope the club has a cut off date on mind for him to play a couple games late, it not, rule him out as late as possible and grab a big beast ruckman from the lower league to smash in and kill people

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

So with nearly a third of the season gone, the ladder and hence draft picks is starting to become clearer.

We currently hold pick 4 (virtue of being 15th. Going on best available, we are still in prime position to take a high end mid. One of Smillie, O'Sullivan, Smith and Draper are attainable.

What do I see happening to the 3 teams below us?
  • Norf are still a basket case and without any KPD, they look a lock for the wooden spoon
  • Hawks are looking dead set average and treading water
  • Tigers are harder to read as they have so many injuries. I could see them potentially winning some more games and leap frogging us.

The teams above us:
  • St Blunders are looking like a typical Ross team with the inability to score. I think they will win at least another 4 to 5 games so finish higher than us.
  • I cannot see any of the rest dropping hard - it would have to be injuries that cause a fall.

I love our improvement but I cannot see us getting out of the bottom 5 as it currently stands.

What about the teams with multiple R1 picks

Suns with their own, Dogs and Norf priority pick 20 - currently 8, 10 and 20
Freo with their own, Pies and Port - 9, 11 and 14
Swans with their own and Norf priority pick 19 - currently 17 and 19

Who is in the market for trading up and who is looking to push picks into 2025?
Lions with pick 6 (likely to fall back) will be for sale due to Levi looking like he will attract a top 4 bid
Crows at 7 will be either looking at trading up to get Draper or trading way back to get points for Tyler Welsh.

Obviously the AFL making changes to the academy and F/S prospects will play an important role.

All this means I will refrain from making potential trade scenarios until we get a clearer view of the talent ranking and then a clearer picture of where the picks will land.

Well to be fair its getting close to mid season and Hewett is nowhere near anything.

You'd hope the club has a cut off date on mind for him to play a couple games late, it not, rule him out as late as possible and grab a big beast ruckman from the lower league to smash in and kill people

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
As far as we know hes still on track. Theyre not going to rule him out unless they know for sure.
Im sure the club isnt silly, theyd know that a handful of games into Hewett is worth far more than any 3/4th pick in the MSD who will more than likely never play a game

We dont have a MSD spot available.

For those in the back or hard of hearing...

WE. DON'T. HAVE. A. MSD. SPOT. AVAILABLE.

Unless someone goes out with a season ending injury there is no point even looking at the MSD.

We didn’t have a spot available this time last year.

I would be happy to add Draper but that would only be if we can lock in a KPD trade for our second pick like Busslinger. We struggle every time Barrass or the Gov are out because our replacement KPDs are thin. Gov has two years at most and so we need a young KPD with elite kicking and I think that’s Trainor. I will be okay with another elite mid this draft but we need to get a KPD that isn’t high risk so how. For every KPD that is a late pick that’s just increased risk because while some turn out a lot don’t. Sure we might get lucky but how much risk can we take and Trainor is very mobile and his kicking is very high end. I reckon we would be better trying to buy an elite mid via feee agency tbh

obviously the decision will ultimately depend on where we finish and how Trainor goes at champs. So far he seems to be BOG or close to in both academy games. If we have pick two we should see if we can split it without drifting to far and maybe even be prepared to use our Future first to get and elite mid and Trainor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back