List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham sucks . May as well just play sheed .

Graham is slow , injury prone and a shit kick who can't even kick 50m going by the Richmond board . But he is hard at it and can tackle .

Sheed is slow , injury prone and weak in the contest but given time and space is a wonderful user on his left foot .

Big no to both
I was going to make the same comparison.

Big NO to Graham, even if he came free.

Graham sucks . May as well just play sheed .

Graham is slow , injury prone and a shit kick who can't even kick 50m going by the Richmond board . But he is hard at it and can tackle .

Sheed is slow , injury prone and weak in the contest but given time and space is a wonderful user on his left foot .

Big no to both

Graham is younger and happy to be a role player. Also a leader. I can’t say any of those things about Sheed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd shop Ryan. He's a very good player but is an 'icing on the cake' type of player. If we can get something for him, we should try.

Liam Ryan was a very good player… he is now lucky to even get picked. He can barely raise a jog, has no second efforts and out side Social
Media clips can’t kick goals anymore..

Why wouldn’t we look at it? With 3 F/S and NGAs next year it might actually be very beneficial given we’re likely to be using points as picks.

I’m not suggesting F1 for pick 8 but GCS and Freo both have reasons to trade into the top end of next year’s draft so if there’s a deal which is mutually beneficial and with the depth of this draft it’s an avenue that should be explored.
How high are these F/S and NGAs projected to go?
We still need the top end talent that a pick 1 or 2 is going to give us. Also waiting to split til next year should give us more value,especially if there's a standout player or 2
If you want more picks in this draft trading barrass might be the best way.
I'm a big fan of waterman too, didn't see this rich vein of form coming but I do worry that he may not be able to sustain it. And we have loaded up on big forwards and even drafted another medium forward in the MSD

Trade out one of these guys out and you'll have more picks in this draft

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
True but there's been 2 knocks on him (i) kicking & (ii) can his very slight frame match it at the higher levels.

If he's getting 31 in a vfl debut, it certainly de-risks point ii a bit
VFL/SANFL/WAFL is a nice checkbox however I have generally found out not a great guide for the future.
(Eg Sonsie had 24 and 2 goals on VFL debut)

Players tend to be just sent out to play, with no opposition focus and things like that.

How high are these F/S and NGAs projected to go?
We still need the top end talent that a pick 1 or 2 is going to give us. Also waiting to split til next year should give us more value,especially if there's a standout player or 2
If you want more picks in this draft trading barrass might be the best way.
I'm a big fan of waterman too, didn't see this rich vein of form coming but I do worry that he may not be able to sustain it. And we have loaded up on big forwards and even drafted another medium forward in the MSD

Trade out one of these guys out and you'll have more picks in this draft

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
2R x 2 and Evans is very much a slow burn but big high ceiling. We don’t have to get screwed over, we assign it a value of pick 2 and if someone is prepared to pay that then great. If not, we hang on to the pick but I think Freo and GCS would both be very interested.

Why do we have a bunch of below average players, getting offered extensions at the start of the year?

Bailey Williams gets two more added at the start of this year? Who’s responsible for that? The bloke has only played the odd decent game when he seems angry and desperate, why give him (and others )the luxury of cruising along knowing they have years on their contract.

Who is going to raid us for these types?

Contracts have weighed us down, both players and coaches. Be ruthless !

Unfortunately a lot of our players used to be better .
Its because our midfield is totally dog shit our forwards can't get near it and our backs get slaughtered
Considering the onslaught of inside 50s our defence holds up ok when it comes in. There problem is getting it out of our D50, where poor decision making, poor skills, and no metres gained speed on the exit is what's killing us.

We still persist with going with the land of the giants in the forward line and our small forwards can't keep it locked in.

Both of those factors absolutely make our midfield look worse than it actually is. And our lack of speed between the arcs is glaring.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Handball gets podcast. Rolled out that English year to date has not won a hit out contest head to head.

Given he rucks solo this is pretty concerning especially against clubs that roll two rucks.

No idea on last night's game

*he won

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Won his first one last night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a Ruck who could win HTA would make a HUGE difference. Our mids could actually get on the offense for once.

I Just did a mock draft on the main board, we could add 4 players from year 2000 onwards to our current side. I needed 10 pick obviously but oddly enough you think I'd go mid, mids, and more mids.

All players are considered at their prime. I ended up taking;

Pick 3 - Max Gawn
Pick 21 - Luke Hodge
Pick 39 - Cyril Rioli
Pick 57 - Patrick Cripps

My point being is that even though on the outside, I'd just thought mid mids mids, when it came down to it, I went for a freak dominant Ruck, who is a leader and knows how to win. An inspirational, highly skilled utility/HBF and probably the best leader of the modern era along with Selwood. Pure X-factor and big game player, again a known winner and the best of the inside mid left on the board, again someone who leads from the front.

On top of everything else, our club needs proper leadership, players who hate to lose (Harley you can see hates it), players who are willing to try and lead from the front (Yeo and Harley, maybe OA when fit??)

As far a value to add to our list, it's out there. We have to be smart.

I love the Knobel suggestion. How great would it be to have someone who can actually win HTA for our mids.

On top of all the other players, regularly spoken about like Garcia who would be brilliant.

You have players like Kobe Ryan, who is averaging 26 possies/9 tackles/6 clearances and nearly a goal a game in the SANFL.

We can do this....Our new coach needs some cajones and vision but we can do it.

True but there's been 2 knocks on him (i) kicking & (ii) can his very slight frame match it at the higher levels.

I'm not a draft nuftie but I think the knock on Jagga is his slight of frame.

He will make it at the next level, I just think it will take years and alot of time in the gym. A luxury we dont have and cant wait for, in another side say the (Hawks) it would make sense, even crows.

Graham is younger and happy to be a role player. Also a leader. I can’t say any of those things about Sheed.

He is slow , injury prone and can't even kick 50m anymore . He has never been a midfielder either more a high half forward , never averaged over 20 possessions .

Waste of money and a list spot .

We should be trading out these mid-tier players, not bringing them in. Instead we're holding onto the every player like our premiership hopes depend on it.

The cynic in me, tells me they don't want to really expose how bad the list is....

Don't care. If he is teaching young players selfish, loser footy he needs to go.

Needs to play and teach the right way.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

He's toxic to a young team. How many times will it take for him to burn harley, before harley starts doing it also.
Is this in reference to Kelly?

I didnt see this yesterday, it will need to be a watch for mine.

The Hawks weren't spineless when it came to moving on their players. They moved on Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis all in one go didn't they?

When they didn't feel like they were going any where with Tom Mitchell and O'Meara they traded them, hell, they traded out Jack Gunstan for a year before bringing him back.

Us? Kept Fraser McInnes on the list for eight years for 14 games. Gutless list management.

Things are never as bad as it seems.

‘Experts’ not long ago were saying Hawks still had a long way to go and Mitchell won’t survive the ride. They have missed picks DGB in that time, missed out on ‘top’ FAs ect.

First step is get a good coach. Then turnover the list, everyone has an opinion on how to do this. Let’s hope Clarke does too and has his finger on the pulse. Few of our reported targets still unsigned ai hopefully that’s a good sign.

This should be a list managers dream if he wants to make a name for himself. Couple ‘older’ blokes with some decent trade worth. Already have the marquess young jet and pretty much a spine to cover us 5+ years into the future. Mids and role players should be the easiest to find in the draft and trade/FA.

Same goes for a coach. Get this team playing finals or within reach in 3 years.

I'll fix it for you

-Flynn/jameison delist you can pay out their contracts
  • trade Barnett to Adelaide for a 3rd/4th rounder
  • on trade the 3rd/4th rounder for knobel
-BBW depth ruckman
What's this weeks fascination with Knobel.
**** me, the guy is a stick who has played like 2 WAFL league games in two years.

Absolute lock 200 game player 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve watched a reasonable amount of his games and so this is simply my view on him and happy if others disagree.

His short kicking goes alright as in anything 25m or under he makes good decisions and hits a leading player up quite well. It’s once he has to start to hit targets over this range that it becomes an issue. His kick doesn’t have any real depth or penetration to it.

His one wood and he’s elite in this area is his hands. Both in terms of gathering the ball where he is just so clean and his decision making and use by hands. He has an uncanny ability to be able to pounce on the loose ball first and be exceptionally clean.

However he’s not a metres gained type player he’s an elite accumulator. (death by 1000 cuts).

Plenty of people have mentioned his lack of body size but it appears as if he has passed his first test against men. (*I haven’t seen the game just the stat sheet.) It will be another step up in size when going to AFL level and there will be concerns over whether his body will be able to stand up to the physical nature of playing as an inside mid.

Has a nice burst of speed off the mark but in terms of straight line pace he’s average.
He doesn’t have the high end pace of say other smaller mids in the likes of Butters, Rozzee, Merritt or McKercher for example.

When played in any other position has genuinely looked average. He is a little one dimensional in the way he plays.

Now I personally think he makes it at AFL level. My question on him is do you use a top 3 pick on an accumulator in this day and age or are there better options?

He rightly deserves to be in the conversation.

What's this weeks fascination with Knobel.
**** me, the guy is a stick who has played like 2 WAFL league games in two years.

Absolute lock 200 game player 🤣🤣🤣
16 touches and 50 hit outs last week I believe.

Our proclaimed best ruckman in his draft year is struggling to even get a run in the ruck and touches it about three times a match.

With Reidy dominating the WAFL also there's a bit of a bottle neck at Freo for that position. Which is also why he's a smart player to target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back