List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of interest, anything to read into about Chad Warner’s intentions given Dean Cox has come out and said that he won’t be applying for the West Coast role?

Fair to say that our list has limited appeal to any prospective coaches.
I would say clearly less likely getting Warner. Cox would been a big draw card for him to pick the Eagles if he leaves.

Cox was always unknown. A lot of media said early he and his family were always keen to stay in Sydney. For some reason they love it there. I think he would’ve thought about it long and hard though, big difference in $$ for Head Coach over assistant.

Most coaches take over a bottom 4 list. Some will be selective but will also be mindful of moving missing their chance to be a senior coach and considered one of the top assistants. Some have missed their window

Whats also ridiculous is the amount of below average players on this team getting extended run in the Best 22 when they were on the fringes at their previous clubs.

We need to be seriously questioning our standards at this footy club if our recruiting strategy is to sign guys like Jamaine Jones, Alex Witherden, Matt Flynn and Jayden Hunt, when they hardly got a game at their previous clubs, were delist material, or 2nd/3rd in line in their position.

Hell even our "prized recruit" Tim Kelly was a role player (yes a good one) at Geelong and he was sold to us as a superstar mid.
Kelly wasn’t sold to us, we went out and got him. He was always better than a role player. The year we went and traded for him he was AA, top 5 Brownlow and lit up the finals series.

Never captured those highs at the Eagles.

Way too early call on Flynn, Hunt has been a great fit for paying nothing in a trade.

Hawks recruited 3 players who played a lot of VFL last year and have been great fits. Mass would’ve been perfect for us. Bramble as a delisted free agent at the Dogs the same. Can’t get tunnel vision of going for superstar home runs in all trades.

Can’t only go to the draft either, Hawks have missed on a few first round picks in their rebuild. Same as the Crows and they have been saved by trading for Dawson and Rankine which is why if we can get a superstar mid or hbf we can’t be scared to pull that trigger.

As Pyke has said, we have 3 levers to pull in list building and you have to pull all of them.

List management just need more hits then misses because in every list build there will be misses. Even the Pies have hardly hit a draft pick that hasn’t been a FS or NGA but still turned it into a flag (with very good coaching to suit his list)

We would probably get more out of a solid defensive mid that might cost a 3rd rounder as we get out of Warner tbh.

All our mids are offensive, we have nobody there to just tackle

Along with not having a ruckman thats why our midfield sucks. Our midfield is just unbalanced

Look at the good teams, they all have a solid defensive mid whose main job is to block/tag/tackle.

Warner is another in the same mould as Reid, Hewett, Yeo, etc. The same type of mid you typically get with high picks
Ginbey is our defensive mid, he was top 5 in the AFL for tackles midway through his first year. Duggan rolls through from defense. Yeo can easily go back to doing defensive jobs in the midfield if required, as he has done plenty throughout his career. Hall is still trying to get in the team and has a good frame and work ethic, Culley too.

We don’t have to go looking for defensive mids. We should be able to give a run with role to the worst mid in the side. Or rotate through the existing guys mentioned. Otherwise sure a fringe guy like Dev Rob, Sheldrick, Garcia even Erasmus if available cheap.

Attacking, powerful, explosive mids are the difference makers. Dusty, Petracca, De Goey etc. And it’s okay to have more than one. Yeo is 30+ with injury concerns, Hewett has missed two years of footy and is now a huge unknown.

That leaves Harley who is no guarantee to stay, especially when he looks around and realises he is going to have to carry the team for the next 10 years. Put some more star power around him like Warner and it will ease the weight on his shoulders and go some way to keeping him long term.

We need to go hard at this draft and bank on getting a couple of free agents through the door on front-ended contracts to get the rebuild off the ground.

If we can unload Jones, LEdwards, Trew, Rotham etc. and bring in 3-4 picks within the top 25 - mostly mids, we’ll be better off long-term and avoiding the Tassie dilution.

Along with a Jack Graham, trade for Riley Garcia and perhaps Deven Robertson again - all of a sudden the midfield fleshes out a bit and we have a mix of midfield talent and role players that are, or will be, AFL standard.

Reid
Hewett
Yeo
Ginbey
Kelly
Smilie/Smith/FOS/Langford
Graham
Garcia
Robertson

Looks a lot more likely than the current crop we have. I’m not against Tim English either. I don’t know how much more BWilliams viewings I have left in me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thank f**k that the club was saved from its own stupidity at the draft last year.

Imagine finishing last this season having already traded away the first round pick.
Yeah and some ppl now wanting to trade out next years first...

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we split pick 3 and then ontrade a 1st rounder for Baker, it will be the perfect snapshot of what's wrong with our list build approach.

We should be trading out these mid-tier players, not bringing them in. Instead we're holding onto the every player like our premiership hopes depend on it.

Culley played exclusively in the guts vs roos and we couldn't win a clearance then they swapped him with ryan .

He played a fair bit of midfield today jus5 not many centre bounces .

He is just too slow on the spread in centre bounces at afl level
He is also too slow to be a small forward. If the club think he is a small forward play him as that at wafl level. Playing players out of position once they get to AFL is super dumb.

Kelly wasn’t sold to us, we went out and got him. He was always better than a role player. The year we went and traded for him he was AA, top 5 Brownlow and lit up the finals series.

Never captured those highs at the Eagles.

Way too early call on Flynn, Hunt has been a great fit for paying nothing in a trade.

Hawks recruited 3 players who played a lot of VFL last year and have been great fits. Mass would’ve been perfect for us. Bramble as a delisted free agent at the Dogs the same. Can’t get tunnel vision of going for superstar home runs in all trades.

Can’t only go to the draft either, Hawks have missed on a few first round picks in their rebuild. Same as the Crows and they have been saved by trading for Dawson and Rankine which is why if we can get a superstar mid or hbf we can’t be scared to pull that trigger.

As Pyke has said, we have 3 levers to pull in list building and you have to pull all of them.

List management just need more hits then misses because in every list build there will be misses. Even the Pies have hardly hit a draft pick that hasn’t been a FS or NGA but still turned it into a flag (with very good coaching to suit his list)
Kelly’s stats at Geelong are no different to his stats now.

We traded for him on the belief that it was his second season in the AFL and he would significantly improve.

Kelly’s stats at Geelong are no different to his stats now.

We traded for him on the belief that it was his second season in the AFL and he would significantly improve.

Also that he'd play a lot of footy with Yeo, Shuey, Nic Nat even Redden and Sheed.

That lot kicking the ball to JK, Darling, Rioli, Ryan, Cripps.

What could have been :(

With Bailey Williams spudding it up and Flynn been extremely slow around the ground.
There’s a ruck Dante Visinti 202cm 21 years old on the Port Adelaide list currently playing extremely well in the 2nds.
Only a matter of time before he goes past Soldo and Sweet.
Anyone else heard of him and thoughts on going after him ?

Ginbey is our defensive mid, he was top 5 in the AFL for tackles midway through his first year. Duggan rolls through from defense. Yeo can easily go back to doing defensive jobs in the midfield if required, as he has done plenty throughout his career. Hall is still trying to get in the team and has a good frame and work ethic, Culley too.

We don’t have to go looking for defensive mids. We should be able to give a run with role to the worst mid in the side. Or rotate through the existing guys mentioned. Otherwise sure a fringe guy like Dev Rob, Sheldrick, Garcia even Erasmus if available cheap.

Attacking, powerful, explosive mids are the difference makers. Dusty, Petracca, De Goey etc. And it’s okay to have more than one. Yeo is 30+ with injury concerns, Hewett has missed two years of footy and is now a huge unknown.

That leaves Harley who is no guarantee to stay, especially when he looks around and realises he is going to have to carry the team for the next 10 years. Put some more star power around him like Warner and it will ease the weight on his shoulders and go some way to keeping him long term.
Ginbey ain’t going to be midfielder. He’s just had his most natural looking game, as of course in Eagles fashion…..a hb flanker. The way the game is going, possession and skills will be emphasized more and more with the diminishing contest game and tackling being completely stripped back. Erasmus and Dev Rob use the ball skills are not what we need in a team that struggled to hit rudimentary kicks. (See the amount of missed 15m-30m kicks yesterday in an indoor stadium

The way the game is going, possession and skills will be emphasized more and more with the diminishing contest game and tackling being completely stripped back.

After yesterday’s game it would seem we are ahead of the curve with our re-build.

It’s just that we started at part 2 - the diminished contest game and stripping back of tackling. As an aside we may have gone too on this part.

Just got to work on our skills now.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah and some ppl now wanting to trade out next years first...

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why wouldn’t we look at it? With 3 F/S and NGAs next year it might actually be very beneficial given we’re likely to be using points as picks.

I’m not suggesting F1 for pick 8 but GCS and Freo both have reasons to trade into the top end of next year’s draft so if there’s a deal which is mutually beneficial and with the depth of this draft it’s an avenue that should be explored.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was going to post in pos and neg thread

I realise that he was awful yesterday, but I can see a world where LEdwards plays a handy role in a okay side. Has time and a neat kick.

Trew I can't see making it. He's too small to play inside and too slow to be outside.

Think both very delisted at years end however.

Feels that 10 changes is very achievable.

So much talk of who we can bring in and never chat about who we can send OUT.

We're a basket case and have been for some time. Wouldn't mind seeing us actually trade somebody and try to strengthen our draft hand.

Duggan (still no contract as yet), B.Williams, Petrucelle are pretty expendable for mine and could be used to aid our rebuild.

Hell even Darling or Sheed, if the opportunity came up, which i find unlikely. Barass maybe, depending on price.
After yesterday I would offer Kelly to a co tender for a late first.

His game yesterday was selfish and while I have been a huge fan in the past it was my tipping point.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Why wouldn’t we look at it? With 3 F/S and NGAs next year it might actually be very beneficial given we’re likely to be using points as picks.

I’m not suggesting F1 for pick 8 but GCS and Freo both have reasons to trade into the top end of next year’s draft so if there’s a deal which is mutually beneficial and with the depth of this draft it’s an avenue that should be explored.
Who do we have Charlie banfield, Koby Evans and Wes walley. I rate Wes walley and banfield idk about Evans. Maybe we could trade a first and swap for a later first for like freo.

We need to go hard at this draft and bank on getting a couple of free agents through the door on front-ended contracts to get the rebuild off the ground.

If we can unload Jones, LEdwards, Trew, Rotham etc. and bring in 3-4 picks within the top 25 - mostly mids, we’ll be better off long-term and avoiding the Tassie dilution.

Along with a Jack Graham, trade for Riley Garcia and perhaps Deven Robertson again - all of a sudden the midfield fleshes out a bit and we have a mix of midfield talent and role players that are, or will be, AFL standard.

Reid
Hewett
Yeo
Ginbey
Kelly
Smilie/Smith/FOS/Langford
Graham
Garcia
Robertson

Looks a lot more likely than the current crop we have. I’m not against Tim English either. I don’t know how much more BWilliams viewings I have left in me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Graham sucks . May as well just play sheed .

Graham is slow , injury prone and a shit kick who can't even kick 50m going by the Richmond board . But he is hard at it and can tackle .

Sheed is slow , injury prone and weak in the contest but given time and space is a wonderful user on his left foot .

Big no to both

Who rucks in his place? Flynn's barely played since he came into the system. Injury prone big time.
Enough playing shit because we don't have another option. Drop him trade him figure it out.

He is crap. Can't kick a goal or win a hit out. Zero around the ground. Current form wouldn't get him drafted.

After yesterday I would offer Kelly to a co tender for a late first.

His game yesterday was selfish and while I have been a huge fan in the past it was my tipping point.

We need to keep guys like Kelly and yeo as long as possible. And even add more senior players around our new draftees .

Look at our midfield yesterday Kelly was the only seasoned mid we had and saints put work into him .

Harley 19 pick1 saints put work into him , ginbey 19 pick9 , culley 21 MSD , trew 22 rookie , chesser 21 pick14 , Ledwards 22 pick52 ,

The age , quality and experience of our midfield was bad , sure a couple of young studs but compared to saints we were seriously undermanned.

We need senior players who can shoulder the load at the contest and be rotating the young guys through not be the main stays .

Jack Williams is the 3rd tall and back up ruck .

Still only 20 and clearly better forward and back up ruck than bailey williams.

If we got English for free and trade BW that would be a massive win .

Draft another developing ruck and we will have 5 years to develop alongside Barnett and Livingstone with English in his prime .

May as well have a 208cm tall who also racks it up like a mid

The afl came out with stats saying hit outs mean JAck shit in clearance outcomes .
Handball gets podcast. Rolled out that English year to date has not won a hit out contest head to head.

Given he rucks solo this is pretty concerning especially against clubs that roll two rucks.

No idea on last night's game

*he won

Last edited:
Tom Downie Williamstown VFL ruckman
24 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 tackles, 11 clearances and 2 goals to go with 69 hit outs for 202 ranking points.

Can we trade Bailey to Williamstown?

I’m sure he’d be thrilled to play for a team named after him. Happy to pay his contract. Win-win.
I'll fix it for you

-Flynn/jameison delist you can pay out their contracts
  • trade Barnett to Adelaide for a 3rd/4th rounder
  • on trade the 3rd/4th rounder for knobel
-BBW depth ruckman

Holy ****.

If he can get 31 possesion against men he will get 31 possesion against afl players.

Jesus christ. Thats better then Sid Sanfl count. He has leaped frogged Josh Smillie. He turning to a viable pick for us.

My rankings-
1. Sid draper
2. FOS
3. Jagga
4. Lalor

If Jagga continues this form then questions marks are going to be placed on FOS. FOS was dubbbed as an accumulator with elite ball use. But if FOS doesn't show his accumation abilities some more then he's not work it for just only his elite ball use.

I'm seriously praising the Lord that Jagga has shown he can do it against men

Holy ****.

If he can get 31 possesion against men he will get 31 possesion against afl players.

Jesus christ. Thats better then Sid Sanfl count. He has leaped frogged Josh Smillie. He turning to a viable pick for us.

My rankings-
1. Sid draper
2. FOS
3. Jagga
4. Lalor

If Jagga continues this form then questions marks are going to be placed on FOS. FOS was dubbbed as an accumulator with elite ball use. But if FOS doesn't show his accumation abilities some more then he's not work it for just only his elite ball use.

I'm seriously praising the Lord that Jagga has shown he can do it against men
Don’t think you can compare 31 disposals 3 tackles to 27 disposals 11 tackles especially since Jagga went at 30% efficiency. Meaning he dump kicked the majority of the time. Good player, nowhere near Sid’s level

We need to keep guys like Kelly and yeo as long as possible. And even add more senior players around our new draftees .

Look at our midfield yesterday Kelly was the only seasoned mid we had and saints put work into him .

Harley 19 pick1 saints put work into him , ginbey 19 pick9 , culley 21 MSD , trew 22 rookie , chesser 21 pick14 , Ledwards 22 pick52 ,

The age , quality and experience of our midfield was bad , sure a couple of young studs but compared to saints we were seriously undermanned.

We need senior players who can shoulder the load at the contest and be rotating the young guys through not be the main stays .
Don't care. If he is teaching young players selfish, loser footy he needs to go.

Needs to play and teach the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back