Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it happens, one of those 4 countries you have chosen to highlight has indeed done as I have described - and that country sits at the bottom of the list - Australia. It is just that they have chosen to take this action far too late to have prevented the current lockdown affecting almost 50% of the Australian population.

The Australian Federal Government has announced the construction of special purpose 1,000-bed quarantine facility built in Melbourne's north to be completed later this year and is in consultation with both the Queensland and WA Governments for the construction of similar facilities in those states. Sadly no plans are in place for such facilities to be built outside of Sydney - the main entry point for international arrivals during this covid period.

Similarly, the Australian Federal Government has also chosen to rapidly increase and expand their vaccination roll-out in recent months. Sadly this was done AFTER they had previously rejected an offer 40 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine and sent out confusing messages to the population about the relative risks and benefits of the AZ vaccine.
I sincerely don’t know. I have no idea about the details. All I can see that four insular* rich countries with low covid-case numbers haven’t rushed to vaccinate their population.

That, in itself, is intriguing. There must be something that explains such a behavior. It cannot be accidental. Thus, my question.

* South Korea is insular despite not being an actual island.

Like a lot of this thread, what exactly has this got to do with anything here or there for that matter?
The discussion was on the validity of the federal government actions during the pandemic.
To show them enjoying international travel without worries whilst half the country goes into lockdown is pretty valid.

The discussion was on the validity of the federal government actions during the pandemic.
To show them enjoying international travel without worries whilst half the country goes into lockdown is pretty valid.

Yeah but neither of them are part of the current Govt.

Yeah but freedom and liberty.

pasted-image-at-2017-10-12-11-00-am.png
Geez they look ****ing ridiculous

Unless you have worked in the industry you literally have no idea what it's like. It's not about being anti-vaccine, it's about having stipulations being forced on you. The government has no problem mandating this but not mandating staffing ratios and fair pay? You don't want this to be the straw that breaks the camels back
Yes they absolutely need to get vaccinated but those staff are under severe pressure resource and time wise already. I would hate to be middle management or staff on the floor trying to deal with this with trying to cover even worsening staff shortages whilst giving basic aged care. Sheesh they couldn’t manage proper care to residents in many facilities pre pandemic, can’t imagine what it would be like now.
Scomo is not the best PM I can think of to be leading us through this. He believes he can get by by being God’s chosen one whilst being totally incompetent and evasive.

Like a lot of this thread, what exactly has this got to do with anything here or there for that matter?

Well I guess politics and Covid go hand in hand right at the minute. As bomberclifford said they are both not in office, however I guess it's the fact their nice plush job landed them even plusher jobs. It's the smugness that kinda resembles the current PM that grates.

Except that Cormann actually lives in Paris, Hockey in the US and France has no restrictions on visitors from the US if vaccinated...but hey be outraged!

Friends in Canada got their shots earlier because people there didn’t want to take Astrazeneca’s, but to wait for either Pfizer’s or Moderna’s. Canadians panicked due some statistically negligible cases of bad collateral reactions to the vaccine, and anyone willing to accept AZ could just go and have it.

Here in Brazil, I was ready to take the one available — even if it were the less-reliable SinoVac’s CoronaVac (made through the traditional method, it’s also more expensive than the others). My greatest risk, as low as it may be, would have been getting actually sick through the vaccine.

It could have not worked as well, but those are risks related to any traditional vaccine. Hence, I had no issue. I would throw whatever dices were given to me.

I got Pfizer’s instead. Fortunately, Pfizer changed the formula, so now it can handle temperature up to 10°C for a few days. It was impossible for Brazil to use it otherwise. The RNAm vaccines seems to be the most effective against the coronavirus. It was my preference all along.

Brazil can produce both AZ and SinoVac vaccines, although we need to import their raw material. We still depend on the good will from India and China, but the vaccines are cheaper and faster to be produced and distributed.

China doesn’t want to play hardball, because the vaccine works as advertisement (I mean, if it actually works for public immunization — which is still up for debate). So, we have been able to maintain a somewhat steady chain of supply. That’s why we have been able to vaccinate quite fast.

Brazil’s population is big (roughly 8 or 9 Australia). So, it’s going to take a while to finish the task. However, we are good at vaccinations. We had the logistics already in place. Currently, over 30% of my countrymen have already taken at least one shot, and, as more vaccines become available, we are getting faster.

Australia will be vaccinated. Once the more desperate countries ease their demands, the people from AUS, NZ, JAP, KOR, et al. will get their vaccines. And it will be the ones who certainly are the most effective and the least risky, because the rest of the world would have already tested the alternatives.

Until then, it’s just a matter of keeping up the good work — and, believe me, numbers like yours are astonishingly good in comparison with the rest of the world.

Last edited:
The panic has certainly set in. I'm intrigued to see what the testing numbers were today in SA. Drove past the Repat testing centre and the lineup this morning went all the way from Daws road round the corner onto Winston Avenue for roughly another 200 metres past the next roundabout. Was the longest I have seen it for that site ever. Would have been a many hour long wait.

The irony is that as while the notion has been "We can't let Australia become the next New York, London etc" the conservative nature to which the politicians have appraised risk:freedom appears that it won't be long when those cities are fully opened back to normal, whilst Australia will be wishing to have their freedom - all the while remaining in a panic state from an inevitability of entering into wide scale lockdowns at the sheer presence of a few cases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, Professor Catherine Bennett from Deakin Uni believes that the Bondi cluster will be all wrapped up in a week, I hope she is right but I will believe it when it happens. At the current rate the Bondi cluster will stand at around 250 infections in a week's time. The graph below is a good illustration of how contagious the Delta strain is compared to previous COVID strains.

As Professor Bennett says containing this outbreak will depend on two things, people getting tested and complying with the stay at home orders. If the NSW Government had acted quickly as the WA, NT and Qld Governments have done and had the stay at home orders in force in the first week of the cluster that yellow line in the graph below might have been different.

Hopefully NSW will not record another 20 cases today and we will see the start of the decline in infections.

1624998260115.png

The panic has certainly set in. I'm intrigued to see what the testing numbers were today in SA. Drove past the Repat testing centre and the lineup this morning went all the way from Daws road round the corner onto Winston Avenue for roughly another 200 metres past the next roundabout. Was the longest I have seen it for that site ever. Would have been a many hour long wait.

The irony is that as while the notion has been "We can't let Australia become the next New York, London etc" the conservative nature to which the politicians have appraised risk:freedom appears that it won't be long when those cities are fully opened back to normal, whilst Australia will be wishing to have their freedom - all the while remaining in a panic state from an inevitability of entering into wide scale lockdowns at the sheer presence of a few cases.

Think from Daws Road to Winston Ave equals 3 hours. Parking down Winston Ave means you just didn’t have any idea how long you were going to wait when joined the line up. Did see a car broken down in that line up yesterday that made matters worse for traffic on Winston.

Clinical Labs at the airport is the smart move as mentioned before if anyone is looking.

North Queensland in lockdown because an unvaccinated 19 year old hospital receptionist decided to holiday on Magnetic Island despite displaying symptoms of COVID. She walked around North Queensland for 10 days before getting tested. Both the receptionist and her brother have tested positive for the Delta strain. Questions now being asked as to why someone working adjacent to a COVID ward had not been vaccinated.

So now we add Townsville to Sydney, Darwin, Perth and Brisbane on the lockdown list.

Last edited:
North Queensland in lockdown because an unvaccinated 19 year old hospital receptionist decided to holiday on Magnetic Island despite displaying symptoms of COVID. She walked around North Queensland for 10 days before getting tested. Both the receptionist and her brother have tested positive for the Delta strain. Questions now being asked as to why someone working adjacent to a COVID ward had not been vaccinated.

So now we add Townsville to Sydney, Darwin, Perth and Brisbane on the lockdown list.

It’s impossible really, her symptoms were probably like any other minor cold. Hard to have everyone who has a little cold rush to get tested. At this time of year with kids little colds are everywhere.

As reported 29 June 2021 (28 June 2021 data):

So far, 7,501,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been delivered across Australia (Aust Govt DoH/ covidlive websites).

Change from previous day: 126,000

Australia's population is about 25.8mill, requiring about 51.6mill doses for completion of the dual dose program.

Current % to completion:
(7.50/51.6) x 100 = 14.5%
(Previous Day: 14.3%)
---------------------
Note 1:
If <16yo veto on vaccination persists (current Pfizer; about 22.1% or 5.7mill Australians) then about 40.2mill doses are required and not 51.6mill.
Current % to completion: 18.7%

Note 2:
If <12yo veto on vaccination is accepted (projected Pfizer; about 16.9% or 4.4mill Australians) then about 42.8mill doses are required and not 51.6mill.
Current % to completion: 17.5%

It’s impossible really, her symptoms were probably like any other minor cold. Hard to have everyone who has a little cold rush to get tested. At this time of year with kids little colds are everywhere.

When a State reports positive COVID cases all people with cold or flu like symptoms who have been in high risk areas are asked to get tested. This person is an adult not a child and she works in a reception area just outside of a COVID ward. She did not take the advice but chose to go on holiday and walked around for 10 days with symptoms. In the case of someone working just outside of a COVID ward that is indefensible.

The Qld Premier who has ordered an immediate inquiry had this to say,

"Despite the health directives that she should have been vaccinated, she was not," Ms Palaszczuk said as she announced the three-day lockdown.
"I am absolutely furious about this."

When a State reports positive COVID cases all people with cold or flu like symptoms who have been in high risk areas are asked to get tested. This person is an adult not a child and she works in a reception area just outside of a COVID ward. She did not take the advice but chose to go on holiday and walked around for 10 days with symptoms. In the case of someone working just outside of a COVID ward that is indefensible.

The Qld Premier who has ordered an immediate inquiry had this to say,

"Despite the health directives that she should have been vaccinated, she was not," Ms Palaszczuk said as she announced the three-day lockdown.
"I am absolutely furious about this."

Works outside a Covid ward -
Crazy. I figured a hospital receptionist could of been in a mundane part of the hospital. Still most medical workers I know all had the jab a while back.

I guess whilst not mandatory this is what will probably continue to happen.

Not really, outside of these outbreaks testing stations are pretty quiet. You know what's hard? Lockdowns and dealing with clusters.

Suggest a fair chunk of those people are those who, like my wife, are required to undergo regular mandatory testing as part of their 14 day quarantine directions having returned from NSW last week and before state borders closed.

Rather than labelling them as some sort of 'panic' lemmings I think we should actually be pretty happy that so many people are taking the directions from our health authorities to get tested if symptoms are present or if returned from interstate, seriously. THIS is the way this new rapidly spreading variant of the virus will be defeated and lockdowns are avoided.

Not really, outside of these outbreaks testing stations are pretty quiet. You know what's hard? Lockdowns and dealing with clusters.

I haven’t heard much of this on the news, just happens to have look at the ABC News. 20,000 cases a day with a close neighbour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back