Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
pastmyprimus
Does the data you are collecting look anything like the plots below? The red squares are where I predicted things were going, and so far the fit looks reasonable but it is early days (LH plot). I am hoping that this does not pan out, because it predicts that if things continue unabated there will be about 12000 confirmed cases in 2 weeks time (RH plot). It assumes quite a lot eg consistent sampling frequency, as one example.
We must attack this harder, pronto....
Covid19 projections 200320.jpg

Morrison is imploring Australians to quarantine themselves immediately if they've just returned home from overseas. They pose a big public health risk.

Most Australians will do the right thing but imploring won't work for some parts of the population. A recent story - A Queenslander returned from an overseas holiday and tested positive. His flatmate was told to self-quarantine but that was ignored. He went about his normal life including having a meal at Macca's. He's now in a Queensland hospital after testing positive. The Qld Health Dept is running around try to locate people who've come in contact with him.

I think we need stricter monitoring systems like ones implemented by other countries. It will inconvenience a few in relative terms but for the greater good.
What we need is a statement that anyone who isn’t quarantining when they should be will be fined, if found positive then it’s the maximum amount.

25K here in SA, up to 100K in some states. If not a citizen, follow up with deportation.

Zero tolerance for those who put others at risk.

So, Collingwood share water bottles for a whole game run around tackling each other after taking mouth guards in and out but they won’t sing the song to avoid risk.

Seriously?

Edit: So Hamish McLachlan was wrong, just didn’t link arms.

Last edited:
From the Woolies CEO...

These are undoubtedly testing times for all Australians, given the impact COVID-19 is having on the way we live. And if you believe the experts, we still have a long way to go.

At Woolworths, we accept that this is no longer business as usual. In the last four weeks, we have seen a huge surge in demand, which inevitably means you're seeing material product shortages on our shelves.

Like all Australian grocery retailers, our aim is to provide the food and essential products all our customers need. This absolutely remains our focus, but we need your help.

In the spirit of fairness for all Australians, especially those who need our help the most, we have made some changes. These include:

New product limits
We ask you to please respect these limits and only buy what you need. If we all do this, there is more than enough to go around.
For the latest details on limits, please visit woolworths.com.au/updates
Priority deliveries
We have also introduced Priority Assistance home deliveries to help the elderly, people with disability, those with compromised immunity and those in mandatory isolation. To apply for Priority Assistance delivery, please complete the form at woolworths.com.au/priorityassistance
Dedicated shopping hour
This week, we introduced a dedicated hour for the elderly and people with disabilities to shop between 7am and 8am before we open to everyone. It was a "rocky" start, but it is getting better. And because we want to do whatever we can to help those most in need, we've decided to extend it for at least another week.
Online orders for Pick up and Delivery
To help our stores cope with the huge increase in demand, we have had to suspend Pick up in all stores, and have paused home deliveries in many areas. However, we know that home delivery will only become more important, so we are working hard to ramp this up as much as we can.

The health and wellbeing of our customers and team will always be our top priority. With that in mind, we have made some changes intended to protect everyone. These include:
Social distancing
We have introduced some sensible guidelines for social distancing in store. These include using the size of your trolley as a distance guide between you and other shoppers, following markers on the floor at the checkouts and using tap-and-pay whenever you can. We’d also ask that you wash or sanitise your hands before you come into a store.
Contactless deliveries
We have moved to a contactless delivery service with all orders delivered to your front door only. All orders will be placed in reusable bags and we've also suspended our crate to bench service.
Cleaning and hygiene
As an extra precaution, we have significantly increased cleaning across all our stores with many stores doubling their cleaning time from 5 to 10 hours every day. We've also upgraded to hospital-grade disinfectant and are focusing on regular cleaning of counters and other surfaces. And as well as thorough hand washing, you'll start to see many of our team - including checkout operators - wearing protective gloves.

Our teams are working incredibly hard to support the communities we are proud to serve. We ask that you continue to treat them, and each other, with the respect and kindness everyone deserves.

Finally, a heartfelt thank you for your continued patience, support and compassion. We can only do this if we work together and look out for each other. If we do this, I have no doubt we will collectively overcome this once-in-a-generation challenge.
Brad Banducci
CEO
Woolworths Group

So, Collingwood share water bottles for a whole game run around tackling each other after taking mouth guards in and out but they won’t sing the song to avoid risk.

Seriously?

Edit: So Hamish McLachlan was wrong, just didn’t link arms.

Seems silly to me. They’ve just slugged it out in a full on contact sport for 2 hours but linking arms for the team song that goes for 45 seconds is not on?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Went to my usual Foodland supermarket and zero rice to be had. Went over to my usual Asian supermarket, much smaller, and they had a pallet of the 5kg bags of rice I usually buy. I usually only buy one bag at a time but I bought two. I guess I am now officially a hoarder. :oops:
My local Foodland has resorted to stocking Easter eggs in what was the toilet paper aisle. Toilet paper rations at my house until post Easter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to push the case for hiring me again, Zakk Wylde.

Christ.
I don't think you fit into the demographic of person they want to be in charge of social media.

Creative and funny with an actual sense of humour is frowned upon.

You'll push your case if you offered to post genuinely intolerable inclusive social media content

These rules are window dressing, who ever came up with it is an idiot. And FFS can the government stop shifting the goalposts daily, when the infection rate and death rate are not doing anything dramatically different than what has been predicted (I do note that mortality is dropping).

All you are signalling to the panicked population and businesses is that you have no idea what you are doing, no convictions, and can't be trusted.

It's as if the government bread a clown with a monkey, gave the offspring a labotomy, forced it to watch every episode of MAFS back to back and then put it in charge of COVID-19 policy.

Just so you know, I am the one that came up with the 4m^2 rule.
However, it wasn't 4m^2 when I proposed it, it was 7m^2.

- pi x r^2 = area of a circle
- we are supposed to remain at 1.5 metres away from others (r = 1.5)
- therefore people require a circle of 7 m^2

It was reduced to 4m^2 by adopting a 2m x 2m square instead of a circle of 1.5m radius.

As I see it, setting indoor static room capacities as: room area / 4 is a hell of a lot better than allowing a maximum of 100 people to be static in an indoor room the size of a phone box.

It was always meant to be for static rooms, i.e. where people remain in a single location for more than 15 minutes, like in a pub or a restaurant or in an office environment. Hell they are adopting it for parliament now and will only be allowing 100 people in the lower house.

It allows for the establishments to remain open while providing clarity on how to manage capacities to keep people safe.

Of course if (room size/4) number of people all stand in the same part of the room then there's nothing that can be done.
You can't effectively police stupid without a blanket ban.

If it saves even one life by preventing overcrowding in static indoor spaces, then I'm happy for you to call me an idiot forever for suggesting it to the decision makers. The alternative was to shut the pubs/restaurants/offices/parliament, some will choose to close, but others will make the rules work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back