Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The afl can continue with new social distancing rules....
With it taking 5-14 days for incubation, would this be a reason that Italy's numbers continue to grow?

Hopefully after 14+ days the number of new cases in Italy slows and shows the world that isolation works.

Yep Wuhan went full lockdown on the 23/1 with 639 cases (China wide) and within 8 days the rate of increase was slowed down to not much at all with 18 days.

Italy went into lockdown on 10/3 but with 10k cases... so the situation is a bit different but hopefully we'll see it slowing soon

Number of cases without the context of number of tests done is an unreliable measure. To do a proper comparison we would need to look at the number of tests done in Italy vs number of cases at the same point in time as we are now.

Also the mortality and hospitalisation rates are a far more relevant indicator than confirmed cases in terms of the social, health and economic impacts of the virus. There are clearly things in play that are impacting mortality between different countries, whether that is number of people over 65, air pollution, % of population that smokes (look at Iran for example), weather etc.

If we were tracking at the same apparent mortality rate as Italy we would have 100 dead not 7. Big difference.

I hope you are right.

Meh some of the best times of my life were in my early 20s traveling with <$2k to my name and living in backpackers in random parts of the world and meeting people who were doing similar.

If they are waiving fees and flights (and other transport methods, keep in mind if you are remote it could be a significant trek to even get to an airport) are available then yes people should be re-scheduling, I'm just saying case by case it's not always that easy.
True, but it’s hardly like this has snuck up on people... if you haven’t been able to get home by now, I’d suggest it is more that you don’t want to or haven’t really tried!

True, but it’s hardly like this has snuck up on people... if you haven’t been able to get home by now, I’d suggest it is more that you don’t want to or haven’t really tried!

Yeah look I'm not making excuses and this is correct. Realistically as early as Jan people should have been preparing for this possibility.

It has definitely accelerated though. Back one month ago we were looking at the world and thinking China seems to have turned this around, South Korea seems to have turned this around, other countries should be able to lock things down...

Look at where Feb 22 is on this graph:

1584829319658.png

Yep Wuhan went full lockdown on the 23/1 with 639 cases (China wide) and within 8 days the rate of increase was slowed down to not much at all with 18 days.

Italy went into lockdown on 10/3 but with 10k cases... so the situation is a bit different but hopefully we'll see it slowing soon

Italy is slowing already it was on the double every 2 days curve and now its on the double every 3 days curve.

Gradual but happening.

If marshall does shut the border it will be only a matter of time other states will do the same. In fact wouldn't surprise if all states agree to do it within the week. The afl might get round 2 in but i think a suspension is coming and a mid august to december period to complete the season is on the cards and thats only if things go well in dealing with this virus if it doesn't no more season.

If the country goes into lockdown, what happens to those overseas on holiday that are due to come home in the coming weeks?

Skomo should get the RAAF to go get them and bring them home....

I wish before they implement a plan, have a plan to handle it... just like this. .... not leave it to themselves in these times.

If marshall does shut the border it will be only a matter of time other states will do the same. In fact wouldn't surprise if all states agree to do it within the week. The afl might get round 2 in but i think a suspension is coming and a mid august to december period to complete the season is on the cards and thats only if things go well in dealing with this virus if it doesn't no more season.

If not all states are in unison then it wouldn't surprise me if they state a reason to exempt the football codes. However one case in a club would seal it anyway.

What about FIFOs? Literarily one of the few things generating cash for this country is our commodity exports which we will need to cover these huge bailouts. This can't stop at all costs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, this. Even ppl in their 20s in backpackers have already been evacuating to go home for covid.

I haven't seen anyone waving the poor flag and be on an international holiday in a while
Just reminded me of this article:

The numbers everywhere are getting scary. Shut it down you maroons.
Weird how that group of American tourists holed up
in the Barossa have been in the country for two weeks going about their travels and only just now are tested positive. Must have been spreading it one to the other and God knows who else all this time. Not good.
Oh and only morons like the colour Maroon 😂

Actually, it's not always that simple. Some people have been travelling for months, have been in isolated parts of the world or places where easy access to the internet isn't always available. Some people have work or commitments or possessions overseas that they can't simply 'drop' and dart home on the next flight.

Also, it isn't so easy to fly anywhere right now, even if someone really wants to. Airlines have jacked up the prices exponentially, routes are getting cancelled left right and centre, and countries are closing their borders so fast and with such little warning that there's no guarantee a flight you book today will still be viable tomorrow.

I am currently 'stuck' in rural England, with limited internet that makes it difficult to stay abreast of things. There are barely a handful of flights running from the UK to Adelaide, and they are more than twice their normal price. It's looking like London will go into lockdown any day now, which means who knows whether airports will still be functioning, let alone public transport to get around. I'm not about to walk out of my accommodation, spend 200+ pounds and ten hours getting to London, only to get there and find my flight's cancelled, there's nowhere to stay and I can't get back out again. So I've decided to sit tight for the time being and hope that in a month or so things have improved enough to make travel easier.

And I'm not even in the worst scenario. At least I have a roof over my head and enough money to keep myself fed. There are people trapped all over the world due to this and I don't think it's fair to judge and point fingers without knowing the full story. It sucks to be scared and anxious and a thousand miles away from family and friends, only to go online for help and solidarity and be told that it's all your fault because you should have known back in January that an unprecedented global shutdown was coming and now you've made your bed and just have to lie in it.

Just my 0.02 from quarantine on the other side of the world :mask:

Social distancing can be effective but of course it all depends on compliance. I think most people will do the right thing. But the minority that don't comply, like those that crowded into Bondi beach the other day, will accelerate the spread and rapidly. It's a strategy that's impossible to police.

One reason lockdowns are more effective is because they are easier to enforce.

Yeah we might only get one round of AFL this year. We do need to crown a premier though... so I guess we would just give the premiership to whoever is on top of the ladder right now? That seems the only fair option.

Anybody know who that is?
Hoping we get the showdown and smash’em. All we will have left will be gloating rights for the next six months.

As NT & Tas are isolated then if SA goes to isolation that means that WA are isolated and that means half the country.

NSW are a joke - allowing 15,000 off cruise ships this week where there were sick people on board AND thousands on their beaches.

Actually, it's not always that simple. Some people have been travelling for months, have been in isolated parts of the world or places where easy access to the internet isn't always available. Some people have work or commitments or possessions overseas that they can't simply 'drop' and dart home on the next flight.

Also, it isn't so easy to fly anywhere right now, even if someone really wants to. Airlines have jacked up the prices exponentially, routes are getting cancelled left right and centre, and countries are closing their borders so fast and with such little warning that there's no guarantee a flight you book today will still be viable tomorrow.

I am currently 'stuck' in rural England, with limited internet that makes it difficult to stay abreast of things. There are barely a handful of flights running from the UK to Adelaide, and they are more than twice their normal price. It's looking like London will go into lockdown any day now, which means who knows whether airports will still be functioning, let alone public transport to get around. I'm not about to walk out of my accommodation, spend 200+ pounds and ten hours getting to London, only to get there and find my flight's cancelled, there's nowhere to stay and I can't get back out again. So I've decided to sit tight for the time being and hope that in a month or so things have improved enough to make travel easier.

And I'm not even in the worst scenario. At least I have a roof over my head and enough money to keep myself fed. There are people trapped all over the world due to this and I don't think it's fair to judge and point fingers without knowing the full story. It sucks to be scared and anxious and a thousand miles away from family and friends, only to go online for help and solidarity and be told that it's all your fault because you should have known back in January that an unprecedented global shutdown was coming and now you've made your bed and just have to lie in it.

Just my 0.02 from quarantine on the other side of the world :mask:
I understand you're in a tough position, but that you're able to even consider the choice of returning home, or of staying where you are for another month, suggests you have the resources to make that decision which means you're not part of my statement that if you can't afford to act in an emergency you shouldnt be travelling overseas.

Neither are most Australians overseas for work reasons, the exception probably being working holiday visa travellers relying on hospo, and even they shouldn't be overseas without a buffer to get through emergencies or bug out home.

It sucks to be stuck somewhere far away from family at a scary time and I hope you can find a resolution soon

There is a shitload of counter-intuitive stuff going on here in terms of the countries we thought would struggle and the countries we thought would handle it.

If it January you had told me that Italy had the highest recorded deaths and India, Taiwan and Russia seemed to be largely coping I wouldn't have believed you.

There's nothing counter intuitive about Asian countries doing better than western countries at controlling this virus. They're generally authoritarian countries where people are used to being controlled by government and told what to think and how to behave at all times. It strongly prepares them for a situation like this.

Here in 'straya or over in 'merica, we're a bunch of free people and nobody is going to tell us what to do (despite the fact that we're actually ruled by government at gun point anyway, but that's another story). Nobody will take it as seriously as it needs to be taken until the bodies start piling up and by then it will be too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back