Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably at the point where all the states need to do this. Exemptions to be made for trade and those in the rural areas where needed.

The move has the full support of the SA Opposition so the chances are it will happen. If it does that will probably spell the end of AFL in SA for 2020.

I have not heard but I reckon the NRL State of Origin scheduled for AO on June 3rd will be a non starter. It is ten weeks away but things look like they will get worse before they get better.

That's patently false "the only thing". How about weather, number of people over 65, significant cultural contact (kissing hello), population density... Plenty of things that make Italy different from Australia, or the US or China or Germany etc.
The trajectory of new cases is an almost exact parallel of italy throughout the western world including here. I thought the same thing at first..kissing social interaction and stuff..but it appears to play an insignificant role.
In summary, we're all f$#@%d

Just quietly how lucky is Adelaide to have a couple of spare hospitals lying around. Low density population and wide open spaces?
An older demographic and fairly quiet night life anyway helps as well.
We are as well positioned to nail the virus as any city on the planet.

Personally I've got to get used to being broke for about 6 months but it should still work out OK. I'm genuine fearful for friends in the USA.

Why would this help? This is probably the worst possible demographic to have.

The move has the full support of the SA Opposition so the chances are it will happen. If it does that will probably spell the end of AFL in SA for 2020.

I have not heard but I reckon the NRL State of Origin scheduled for AO on June 3rd will be a non starter. It is ten weeks away but things look like they will get worse before they get better.

Yeah we might only get one round of AFL this year. We do need to crown a premier though... so I guess we would just give the premiership to whoever is on top of the ladder right now? That seems the only fair option.

Anybody know who that is?

Just quietly how lucky is Adelaide to have a couple of spare hospitals lying around. Low density population and wide open spaces?
An older demographic and fairly quiet night life anyway helps as well.
We are as well positioned to nail the virus as any city on the planet.
I'd wait a few weeks/months before getting all SA Great on that front

It may be that I'm interpreting the % of deaths column incorrectly but:
- Italy 4825 deaths = 9.01% vs
- Spain 1378 deaths = 5.43%
doesn't look right.

--------------

On another topic I've taken the data from one of the country based charts and put it on my youtube channel.
I'm not sure why the start of the youtube is blurry, I'm new to using the OBS Studio tool to record youtubes.

That's just because they don't have enough resources for testing, 9% of people with coronavirus aren't dying in Italy -- it's just that there are a lot of infected people that aren't included in the stats. It's a problem worldwide, for example I work on the same floor as a confirmed coronavirus case and I have symptoms, but not severe enough to be administered a test. Some countries (South Korea for example) have a much better testing regime and I suspect that's why they've been able to control it better.

The main thing that is causing a high mortality rate is that the hospitals are being overloaded. It's a lot harder to keep people alive without a ventilator and that's why everyone talks about flattening the curve.

Given it's not an "if" Australia goes into lockdown but a "when" I hope they hurry up and get on with it. Italy has been on lockdown for 10 days and still has exponential growth of cases and deaths.

If the country goes into lockdown, what happens to those overseas on holiday that are due to come home in the coming weeks?

Maybe they should have come home when Scomo urged them to last week..

Maybe they should have, but that's not what I asked.

That's just because they don't have enough resources for testing, 9% of people with coronavirus aren't dying in Italy -- it's just that there are a lot of infected people that aren't included in the stats. It's a problem worldwide, for example I work on the same floor as a confirmed coronavirus case and I have symptoms, but not severe enough to be administered a test. Some countries (South Korea for example) have a much better testing regime and I suspect that's why they've been able to control it better.

The main thing that is causing a high mortality rate is that the hospitals are being overloaded. It's a lot harder to keep people alive without a ventilator and that's why everyone talks about flattening the curve.

Given it's not an "if" Australia goes into lockdown but a "when" I hope they hurry up and get on with it. Italy has been on lockdown for 10 days and still has exponential growth of cases and deaths.

Yeah its worth noting that even if italy stopped every single new case of coronavirus from happening there would still be this increase for some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This assumes that those who are dying are correctly tracked as well.

In the US there are likely a lot of people dying from "flu" and "pneumonia" that are actually COVID deaths unrecorded.

Okay, but if this is the case it's clearly not happening in a way that is overwhelming the system or causing any noticeable disruption to civil society, otherwise it would be reported on.

The afl can continue with new social distancing rules....

With it taking 5-14 days for incubation, would this be a reason that Italy's numbers continue to grow?

Hopefully after 14+ days the number of new cases in Italy slows and shows the world that isolation works.

Okay, but if this is the case it's clearly not happening in a way that is overwhelming the system or causing any noticeable disruption to civil society, otherwise it would be reported on.

Yeah this is true. It does need to be watched closely though from here.

One thing I also think is positive from America is they have indicated are going to be (or are already) using the Chloroquine & Kaletra type options. My understanding is a lot of these were shipped to East Asia where things are looking relatively positive, and I'm not sure to what extent these are being used in West Europe.

The trajectory of new cases is an almost exact parallel of italy throughout the western world including here. I thought the same thing at first..kissing social interaction and stuff..but it appears to play an insignificant role.
In summary, we're all f$#@%d

Number of cases without the context of number of tests done is an unreliable measure. To do a proper comparison we would need to look at the number of tests done in Italy vs number of cases at the same point in time as we are now.

Also the mortality and hospitalisation rates are a far more relevant indicator than confirmed cases in terms of the social, health and economic impacts of the virus. There are clearly things in play that are impacting mortality between different countries, whether that is number of people over 65, air pollution, % of population that smokes (look at Iran for example), weather etc.

If we were tracking at the same apparent mortality rate as Italy we would have 100 dead not 7. Big difference.

With it taking 5-14 days for incubation, would this be a reason that Italy's numbers continue to grow?

Hopefully after 14+ days the number of new cases in Italy slows and shows the world that isolation works.

I think this is what the world is hoping for. Not gonna lie the first thing I do when I wake up now is check the Italian numbers.

There is another major reason though and that is that testing gets better and more widespread. So part of it is the incubation and part of it is the gradual removal of the fog of war.

For some people this could literally not be an option financially
If you can't afford to change your plans in case of emergency you really shouldnt be going on overseas holiday, covid-19 or not.

If you can't afford to change your plans in case of emergency you really shouldnt be going on overseas holiday, covid-19 or not.

Meh some of the best times of my life were in my early 20s traveling with <$2k to my name and living in backpackers in random parts of the world and meeting people who were doing similar.

If they are waiving fees and flights (and other transport methods, keep in mind if you are remote it could be a significant trek to even get to an airport) are available then yes people should be re-scheduling, I'm just saying case by case it's not always that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back