Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Some reading for those interested in COVID-19 vaccine development, which explains each element requited for vaccine development and approval.

Nice informative article for us non medical people. Parts way over my head but still a good read
Previous information i have read on finding a COVID-19 vaccine align with his thoughts.
He indicates that some companies are already skipping normal process to get something acceptable for human trials.
Even if they skip certain trials he believe's late 2021 is the earliest the vaccine will be available.
Then the big problem of distribution.

Once again Bill Gates has stepped up with a promise of funding
"Bill Gates has already indicated willingness to fund factories for up to seven vaccines up front."

From what I understand the Chinese Authorities are finally taking steps to make it illegal to eat Bats in China.
So that is a step in the right direction.
But, something that should have been done after the outbreak of SARS back in 02,03.
This month they also changed the status of Dogs from livestock to pets so also a good step.

From what I understand the Chinese Authorities are finally taking steps to make it illegal to eat Bats in China.
So that is a step in the right direction.
But, something that should have been done after the outbreak of SARS back in 02,03.
Not just bats from what I’ve seen reported. I’ve seen reports mentioning the banning of dogs as well.

I’m not defending wet markets as a whole.

I just find it hypocritical that one country/culture/religion should dictate to a different society what that society should or should not eat, or how they sell their food.

Obviously, now living in a global society, what happens elsewhere can impact us domestically.

But we’re able to make decisions here to protect our own citizens.

Hopefully, if there is a next time, the world acts faster.

In the meantime, businesses can choose to pull their manufacturing out of China and relocate to other countries at competitive prices, or move manufacturing back to their home countries.

You can have so many animals as pets and they can also be a source of meat. Cows and goats can easily be a pet but not many people ha e a problem eating them. Is the problem with dogs because of potential disease they have or because they are a common pet?

You can have so many animals as pets and they can also be a source of meat. Cows and goats can easily be a pet but not many people ha e a problem eating them. Is the problem with dogs because of potential disease they have or because they are a common pet?
Bats can transfer disease to dogs.
But, who in Gods name would eat a dog?

Bats can transfer disease to dogs.
But, who in Gods name would eat a dog?
You can buy dog sausages and jerky in Switzerland.

Most of Asia and India used to eat dog meat.

A lot of the Middle East and certain religions ask the same question of pigs and crustaceans. Who eats animals that eat sh!t and garbage.

I heard a medical type person saying that we have never been very successful with vaccines for upper respiratory viruses, though I haven't had a chance to check the veracity of that.

Yep not good news

"We don't yet have vaccines against any coronaviruses in humans, in part due to the challenges of developing vaccines for viruses that infect the upper respiratory tract."

Professor Ian Hector Frazer AC is a Scottish-born Australian immunologist, the founding CEO and Director of Research of the Translational Research Institute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of discussion the other day about Universities and foreign students, this might be worth a read/discussion

Basically says that Australian universities are by far the most reliant of foreign student money of any country and should have seen the risks coming. 2/3 of University revenue comes from foreign students.

I'm not sure what to think, I don't know enough to have a well thought out opinion, but I do agree with the first sentence, that a lot of industries are being exposed at the moment for their poor leadership, governance and risk-management.

A bit of discussion the other day about Universities and foreign students, this might be worth a read/discussion

Basically says that Australian universities are by far the most reliant of foreign student money of any country and should have seen the risks coming. 2/3 of University revenue comes from foreign students.

I'm not sure what to think, I don't know enough to have a well thought out opinion, but I do agree with the first sentence, that a lot of industries are being exposed at the moment for their poor leadership, governance and risk-management.

And, dare I say, greed.

we eat kangaroos which apparently foreigners find absurd. We are the only nation that eats our coat of arms!
If people want to eat dogs... let them. Just worry about what you eat ffs.

Actually, Nah we are not the only ones...The Malayan Tiger is critically endangered as there is a substantial market in Malaysia for tiger meat and manufactured tiger bone medicines.

Last edited:
Only 5 cases in QLD today.

Everywhere is looking so good at the moment. Once we boost our ICU capacity as much as possible, increase our testing as much as possible and ensure our hospitals are well stocked with PPE, it's time to start winding back a few restrictions I think.

Think we're in a position to manage whatever comes next now. We're not going to be in a situation where it all explodes before we've had time to prepare.

Only 5 cases in QLD today.

Everywhere is looking so good at the moment. Once we boost our ICU capacity as much as possible, increase our testing as much as possible and ensure our hospitals are well stocked with PPE, it's time to start winding back a few restrictions I think.

Think we're in a position to manage whatever comes next now. We're not going to be in a situation where it all explodes before we've had time to prepare.
We don’t want it to explode. Whether we’re prepared or not.

I can tell you, where I work is short of some PPE, and really short of alcohol based hand sanitizer.

I can tell you, where I work is short of some PPE, and really short of alcohol based hand sanitizer.

Completely agree, we can't have it explode. If we're testing rapidly and widely though I think we can control any explosions.

Brisbane Distillery now makes a perfect hand sanitiser - healthcare quality, 80% alcohol. Large volumes avail. I even got my personal 2L from them within 10 days. It seems to me some hospitals try to save money, have budget constraints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back