Could it be the draft order is wrong (back to front) ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd only see a point in raffling picks 1, 2 and 3. Any further than that is pointless really.

The only reason to raffle is to prevent tanking for the top pick. Mix up the top three, and the three crappiest teams in the league still get the three best picks, but a team can't guarantee that they'll pick up the best player.

Maybe even the first 5 picks, just so teams around that area have absolutely no incentive to tank.

Maybe even the first 5 picks, just so teams around that area have absolutely no incentive to tank.
If we were going to raffle the first few picks, I'd still prefer a weighted system to prevent sides from tanking the last game if they knew they would fall to a position where they were an equal chance of snaring picks.

OP would keep top teams on top. Bottom teams couldn't win - except by a miracle. Sort of a La Liga (Spanish League) where Barcelona and Real Madrid get most fo the money and the rest get by. Sometimes another team does well, but then just about goes bankrupt. Rigged to eternal success. The opposite of the current system.

A lottery i can live with. Something very biased to the bottom teams. Say top 6 get a lottery for pick 18, then 7th comes in for lottery for pick 17 - and go on down. So the last team will never do worse than 6th, and the top team can potentially get pick 1. But the likelyhood is close to what happens now. But the lottery eliminates most of the incentive to tank.

I prefer the softer 'last time a team made the finals' ordering myself.
Yes me too, there's a good thread about it here:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...orming-teams-and-never-rewards-a-loss.616703/

To quote the OP:

The idea:

The better draft pick goes to the team which has not made the finals for the largest number of consecutive years. Where two teams have not made the finals for the same number of consecutive years, the better draft pick goes to the team which finishes higher on the ladder.

I should add this applies to the bottom 10 sides, for the top 8 (picks 11-18) it goes in the traditional reverse order. So this year the draft would be:

1. GWS (never made finals)
2. GC (never made finals)
3. Richmond (made finals 2001)
4. Melbourne (made finals 2006)
5. Port Adelaide (made finals 2007)
6. Brisbane (made finals 2009)
7. Western Bulldogs (made finals 2010)
8. St Kilda (made finals 2011, finished above Essendon and Carlton)
9. Carlton (made finals 2011, finished above Essendon)
10. Essendon (made finals 2011)
11. North
12. Geelong
13. Fremantle
14. West Coast
15. Collingwood
16. Adelaide
17. Hawthorn
18. Sydney

Whatever but I reckon today a few kids are hoping like hell that Melbourne dont pick them up

In fact I reckon thered be half a case for compensation for the players melbourne just ditched

Punish the spooners is the only addition I would like to see included. Bump their 1st pick from1 to 9 th or something
And yes, I'm aware Tigs have buffed out the cutlery draw in the last decade..
OP I don't like due to the rich get richer, outcome, which I don't think free agency will adequately negate.
Quite like the more sophisticated reverse finals order / more involved schemes, less likely to produce tanking whilst still contributing to viability of struggling teams.

Scrap the AFL is my preferred option tho, and leave comp to State / regions, with extended finals nationally (a la champions cup type arrangement say actual and minor premiership winners and lesser league wild cards when that's the same team.)

Added bonus of being a good incentive to also scrap the NAB

Under the AFLs ill concieved draw system - teams finishing 9-12 seem to be getting a leg up over those finishing 7-8.
Mark my words teams will ser the benefit in slight tanking to take advantage of that in the following season.

Tanking will happen, you cant design the comp around anti tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Could it be the draft order is wrong (back to front) ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back