Countdown clock killed the suspense

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact people could find out how long to go probably saved a few life's!

I reckon the fact the lady behind me had a trans and was telling us how long to go saved me!

Actually, until I read this post I hadn't even thought about whether the clock was counting up or down.

It was just an exciting finish.

I don't think I'm too fussed either way.

The fact people could find out how long to go probably saved a few life's!

I reckon the fact the lady behind me had a trans and was telling us how long to go saved me!

Lol....I think their may have been enough suspense to last a lifetime. Didn't need anymore. It was hard enough being a neutral supporter. Couldn't imagine if you were a supporter of either team.

One friend had the right idea. Horribly p1ssed by half time and missed the last 2 qtrs, No suspense or sh1tting themselves at all, just a dirty big hangover......lol!

Didn't some Swans suporter have a heart-attack in '05 due to the five minute warning?

I like the countdown clock TBH, keeps you from fainting :p.

I like the count up clock, it is great.

I was at the pies-hawks game and I was on the edge of my seat for probably the final 5 minutes. It would have been much less exciting if I knew exactly how long was left at all times.

I like the way 10 does it, just my opinion.

A mate of mine said that he saw a countdown clock on the interchange bench at one stage during the game. He said it was a LED style clock. Did anyone else see it??

For those of us who watched the GF on TV, Channel 7's countdown clock killed a lot of the suspense to a thrilling conclusion to a truly awesome game of footy.

Would have been more insane with the counting up clock, as Ch 10 do.

It didn't completely kill the suspense but it would have been heaps better not knowing how much time was left in the game.

Anyone old enough to have watched many GF's with the running clock can appreciate the suspense and theatre it creates by having it that way, makes you feel like you are at the game too.

Agree - not knowing makes it more exciting. But like Red and Black's idea of 'viewer choice.' Surely in 2010 they can make that happen - but then again they still keep showing the crowd and the coaches when all I want to see is the game.

I was sitting in the Olympic stand ground level near the benches for the Prelim and on the umpires bench they have a big digital countdown clock clearly visible to thousands of people.

We even had a few bays count down to the siren in the Prelim.

I noticed the same clock was there yesterday.

I was sitting in the Olympic stand ground level near the benches for the Prelim and on the umpires bench they have a big digital countdown clock clearly visible to thousands of people.

We even had a few bays count down to the siren in the Prelim.

I noticed the same clock was there yesterday.

That is where my mate said he saw it.

That seems crazy:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer the countdown clock.

Ten's count up clock is a transparent attempt to keep people watching longer (they even use it when the game's a blowout :rolleyes:).

The Ch 10 commentators always know exactly how much time is left... and if the ball is near where the boundary rider is you can see them stand up ready to go on the ground for an interview.

I tend to have a countdown timer with me, and manually stop the time when channel 10 '5 minute warning' comes on. When the siren is about to go, the scores disappear generally. Around half a second before the siren.

Well its obvious from just reading this thread that opinions are (and will always be) divided.. (poll anyone? :rolleyes:)

Just be glad that 7 and 10 both show different clocks to mix things up and try please as many fans as possible? Until the technology for the viewers choice becomes available, I enjoy both coverage having unique clocks..

Personally, countdown.. always find myself thinking "alright we need 3 goals in 2mins.. we can do it! cmon Dons!" rather than "oh no theres less than 5mins.. dunno how long left, nah prob not enough time.."
For some reason countdown clock makes me a little bit more optimistic (which is essential if your a Dons fan :p) coz I always remember Gazza's 9sec "get the hitout, burst through the pack, sidesteps, kicks from 50m" goal... and for some reason think everyone should be able to replicate that.

When it was my team in the close GF, I hated that countup clock with every fibre of my being.

Yesterday, as a neutral, I would have preferred not to know how much time was left. So really I'm happy that the two stations do it differently cos I can't make my mind up.

under normal circumstances I dont mind, I just add 7 minutes to the 5 and you can get an accurate estimation of when the game ends.

But in this grand final I absolutely loved it the way it was
I thought it would be a draw (stalk my facebook if you want proof, from Wednesday I was preaching a draw) and I got an extra 10 seconds of hysterical laughing at the result and another minute of excitement as I thought it could occur

was ****ing great :thumbsu::D

For those of us who watched the GF on TV, Channel 7's countdown clock killed a lot of the suspense to a thrilling conclusion to a truly awesome game of footy.

Would have been more insane with the counting up clock, as Ch 10 do.

No way, I love the countdown clock at least you know how much time is left and your not left hanging like with Ten/One. The five minute warning is just pure wank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Countdown clock killed the suspense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back