Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

[

You are right. The exact nature of future direction remains unclear. That said omnicron being significantly more transmissible and milder represents our best chance to change the dynamic from pandemic to endemic. At the end of this wave there will be enough background immunity to change things permanently it is hoped. Hence my comment it is an opportunity too. I'm optimistic

Every scenario Ive read seems to suggest that the pandemic phase lasts a few years, that the virus becomes milder and endemic over time with sporadic seasonal outbreaks. Most previous pandemics though we're influenza and not coronavirus. There is some speculation that a pandemic in 1889 was a coronavirus.

I'm an optimist. at heart
1889 turn it up !

It is outcompeting and there is evidence from data to support it. SA at last count had less than 2% of cases as delta. They do 100% genome sequencing so that 2 % is accurate.

The UK shows a bar graph with ever decreasing numbers for Delta now below 10% and falling. It IS happening.
It's not that it's not outcompeting everything else Angry, it's that you are all assuming there is nothing to follow it... That something else isn't brewing now in the largely un(fully)vaccinated areas of western Europe, much of Africa, South America, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.

You talk as if it's over... and there is truly no evidence to indicate that it is, or is likely to be any time soon. It's the nature of the virus, that's why we still have the common cold and the flu.

It's not that it's not outcompeting everything else Angry, it's that you are all assuming there is nothing to follow it... That something else isn't brewing now in the largely un(fully)vaccinated areas of western Europe, much of Africa, South America, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.

You talk as if it's over... and there is truly no evidence to indicate that it is, or is likely to be any time soon. It's the nature of the virus, that's why we still have the common cold and the flu.

No certainty K. But history is a great window to probable pathways forward. Pandemics usually last a few years (4 to 5 pandemics on record) and are then followed by milder disease and endemicity which arises when enough background immunity is prevalent. Omnicron will, because of its transmissibility, create that background immunity as it sweeps the world. I see this as the last stages of pandemic stage. It's persisted a little longer but probably because the world were more skilled at delaying spread than historical examples. As endemicity stage takes over we will see seasonal outbreak similar to the flu. We may need annual shots depending upon severity of disease. Life will get back to normal as normal as can be with a now common virus floating around and most people having some natural immunity to it. And we just all hope that some fwit in china doesn't eat another pangolin and kick us off again with a new one

Last edited:

USA analysis summary from New York Times 30/12

Case numbers have more than doubled and reached consecutive peaks of 488k then 580k. Despite this, hospitalisations have increased only marginally from previous levels by 15% but importantly deaths in number terms are actually reducing.

Ie the Omnicron variant isn't deadly and doesn't overload hospital systems being significantly more mild. Do you understand that boy genius???? ....... Or do you prefer to peddle some other BS now??? Perhaps you just don't know how to read???

And that from a country with low vaccination % . We will ultimately reach 95% DD and fare much better

Last edited:
Don't understand how people can complain about eating 'wierd/exotic' shit, when I see plenty of people eating shrimp, as if it's somehow normal to eat the cockroaches of the ocean.

I live in Sydney and it feels like 1 in 5 people have it in my friendship circles. i reckon the cases are way more than reported. My brother and his mates all caught it on the weekend and they knew one person had it for sure and just used RAT tests to iso for the next 7 days.

If the Gov both fed and state had their S*** together and didn't make reactional decisions and actually planned for these things we wouldn't be in a mess of RAT test shortages.

Handy to keep this in mind as we move to prioritising RATs over PCRs

View attachment 1304882

We've had like two years to prepare for the rapid wave of virus spread and the best we can do is to be 7 days or more behind on testing, run out of swabs, people line up for hours then leave when untested at days end. Shake my head.

Facebook recorded 16 cars parking overnight outside a testing clinic near me so they can be first in line next morning in the hope of being tested. Pathetic. What an absolute mess.

The reported case numbers are clearly massively understated and given they are already excess to 22k per day in NSW then it's likely at least twice that perhaps more.

I had been using case numbers as a means of assessing prevalence. Pretty pointless now it's fallen to pieces.

No it's not Bedford, it relates to comments regarding the origins of Covid and the consumption of so called 'exotic' animals... it's just not quoting anything so as not to offend any particular person.

Further to our discussion on delta being displaced by Omnicron is science from South Africa (supported by on the ground data evidence) that shows that

- omnicron is infinitely more transmissible than Delta but also. Delta only 3% of cases in UK now and diminishing

- Omnicron creates cross neutalisation antibodies which can likewise attack delta illness 4.4 times increase preventing reinfection

The conclusion of the paper was that omnicron will entirely displace Delta AND that Omnicron will bring about endemicity ie the end of the Pandemic as it sweeps the world

These conclusions are no longer hypothesis

No it's not Bedford, it relates to comments regarding the origins of Covid and the consumption of so called 'exotic' animals... it's just not quoting anything so as not to offend any particular person.
Was talking about shrimp .
Anyhow still no test results on the Border , they were sent to Wagga . Just about everyone i know that went to the MCG and a Richmond pub afterwards have it .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to our discussion on delta being displaced by Omnicron is science from South Africa (supported by on the ground data evidence) that shows that

- omnicron is infinitely more transmissible than Delta but also. Delta only 3% of cases in UK now and diminishing

- Omnicron creates cross neutalisation antibodies which can likewise attack delta illness 4.4 times increase preventing reinfection

The conclusion of the paper was that omnicron will entirely displace Delta AND that Omnicron will bring about endemicity ie the end of the Pandemic as it sweeps the world

Yes i read that as well.
1 year ago ScoMo said no need to rush on vaccines !

The media is gonna hate this

The idea with restrictions now is not to stop the spread but mearly slow it down

The media is gonna hate this

The idea with restrictions now is not to stop the spread but mearly slow it down

I guess elderly will still be at risk but because it's upper respiratory and not lower respiratory the risk is reduced.......but I do get your point. The more that get it and quickly the faster this road will rush toward endemic in as safe a fashion as is possible.

Last edited:
Booked my booster for exactly 4 months after my 2nd.

Not sure many will be able to avoid COVID for the next 5 weeks but that's what I'm gonna have to try and do.

Not sure many will be able to avoid COVID for the next 5 weeks but that's what I'm gonna have to try and do.

That is all you can do, got my booster a month and a half ago, due for another before I go to Europe.

I become eligible from 28/01. Think I will book too

Kerry Chant suggested recently that 10% of people will get infected on first wave. Not too sure on what basis she determined that but is.

Btw that is 820000 people. At 25k pd a little over a month.

Last edited:
I become eligible from 28/01. Think I will book too

Kerry Chant suggested recently that 10% of people will get infected on first wave. Not too sure on what basis she determined that but is.

Btw that is 820000 people. At 25k pd a little over a month.
I guess its comes from the fact that 90% ( I think) are mild cases like the common cold. People just aren't getting tested for. People don't want to use there holidays in iso or use sick leave the first two weeks of the year.

Got my booster yesterday, could do walk in at nsw health run clinic. Feel like shit today but once again totally worth it. Thankgod for panadol lol

Andrews the weak dog gone missing in a crisis and HIS GOVERNMENT appointed panel handing out exemptions to self entitled scum Djokovic while people with dying loved ones could not get into the State. Corruption in its most transparent form. Have not missed an Australian Open since relocation from Kooyong but Tennis Australia Craig Tilley and these Labour Dogs can go **** themselves.

Andrews just had to draw a line and say no exemptions after what he put Victorians through (not without good reason, I might add, as we are now seeing what happens when you allow this virus to spread - it is only our high vax rates that are allowing things to stay open). I shudder to think what kind of reception Djokovic will get at Melbourne Park this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

Back