Opinion Cox...

Remove this Banner Ad

One more year is appropriate, given we've seen what has happened this year with a lack of appropriate midfield cover (*coughStevensEbertSwiftcough*), and the net effect of exposing several young players to the backline at once. Having Cox at the very least handing over the reins to Lycett in a transitional year is an effective way of managing our ruck stocks going forward.

Is he contracted for next season? Would love to have him on the list long-term, looks a prospect. Just have this bad feeling, still worried about him leaving :eek:

There was that one passage where he just didn't move as the player picked up the ball and ran towards goals with it from the HFF. Second quarter maybe? Was not a good look.

Saw that, third quarter. Didn't even pressure the ball carrier, was just a giant training cone. I don't mind the idea of playing him as a forward, as long as he works as a distraction from LeCras and Darling, rather than a hindrance to.

I don't see him impacting Kennedy's game at all.

The longer Cox, Glass, Rosa, Butler, Embley and Kerr remain on the list, the longer it is before the younger players are developed into a premiership threat.
We know what they have done and they are not likely to win us a premiership again. Time to move on IMO.

They have been great servants of our club.

The longer Cox, Glass, Rosa, Butler, Embley and Kerr remain on the list, the longer it is before the younger players are developed into a premiership threat.
We know what they have done and they are not likely to win us a premiership again. Time to move on IMO.

I agree that most of those guys need to go, but it needs to be done over a two year period, we aren't Melbourne and some of those guys have useful utility value for next year as depth, if nothing more.

Rosa still has 3 years IMO, his body has been very durable, just had a lot of bad luck with impact and freak injuries. Not a lot of soft tissues.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-01/cox-to-keep-on-ruckin

"DEAN Cox looks set to extend his stellar career into a 14th AFL season, with the six-time All Australian keen to play on at West Coast in 2014."

I love Coxy, but I reckon that will/should be his last year though. Get him to 300 and phase his out.

He will need to play a a few games in 2015 if he is to get to the magical 300 games mark. Not sure if he would/could play in 2015. I like the idea of him playing more as a forward but you would think a good full back is going to be able to be extremely offensive on the counter attack on him.

It's plausible if he doesn't come back unfit and fat again. Has he even kicked any goals this year?

Kicked 12 for the year and even kicked 4 v Melbourne ( not hard i know).

I am fine with him playing next year and if he can score 20-30 goals with some small time in the ruck it would be handy. If Lycett can work on playing around the ground like Cox used to it could work well playing all 3 of Lycett, Cox and Nic Nat. We could also rest Cox at times through the year.

He will need to play a a few games in 2015 if he is to get to the magical 300 games mark. Not sure if he would/could play in 2015. I like the idea of him playing more as a forward but you would think a good full back is going to be able to be extremely offensive on the counter attack on him.

The thing is and we saw it last year, as an opposition coach do you play your good full back on Cox and let Kennedy and Darling get lesser opponents? Or do you play a guy who is two heads shorter and let cox take marks and get free kicks for being held and harassed?

The good thing about Cox is he can take marks all over the ground which is handy...there have been countless times when he takes a mark in the backline saving us from a goal or 2. This year he has been limited but he has been suffering from back stiffness all year and think if he refreshes up over the pre-season he could play out a good year next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do not want.

If he's going to play for another year we can't expect him to be rucking much. He's just about useless at centre bounces as it is.

Cox as a full time forward basically replaces JK as full forward and allows JK to play Lynch's role from 2011-2012.

It's not ideal, but yeh, if Cox is playing in 2014 then we need to work out the best way to use him

If he's going to play for another year we can't expect him to be rucking much. He's just about useless at centre bounces as it is.

Cox as a full time forward basically replaces JK as full forward and allows JK to play Lynch's role from 2011-2012.

It's not ideal, but yeh, if Cox is playing in 2014 then we need to work out the best way to use him

Fair point. I just don't like where that leaves Darling. He needs far more exposure at FF than Cox

I wholeheartedly agree with you, except for Rosa, he's 26 and still has plenty of football left in him (unless he does a Sam Butler and spends most of it on the injury list)

Personally I would shop Butler to Port and Adelaide to see if he has any value

I wholeheartedly agree with you, except for Rosa, he's 26 and still has plenty of football left in him (unless he does a Sam Butler and spends most of it on the injury list)

Personally I would shop Butler to Port and Adelaide to see if he has any value

Agreed on Rosa, he does some great things when the team gives him time and space. That and he can also defend, which is unlike the rest of our mids.

The thing is and we saw it last year, as an opposition coach do you play your good full back on Cox and let Kennedy and Darling get lesser opponents? Or do you play a guy who is two heads shorter and let cox take marks and get free kicks for being held and harassed?

Yeah I wasn't even thinking of Darling and Kennedy :oops: creates a headache for the opposition for sure. I feel like when they've said "Cox will play mostly forward this game" he has spent 50% in the ruck, 10% on the ball and 40% in the forward line. Id like to see him stay there most of the match to see what he can do.

Over the past couple of years-more notably this year he just eyeballs the other ruckman, barely jumps and uses his accumulated ruckbrain knowledge which is a sign we need to focus on the future. I would have thought next year we would like to pump at least 10 games into Lycett and give Sinclair a couple more

Yeah I wasn't even thinking of Darling and Kennedy :oops: creates a headache for the opposition for sure. I feel like when they've said "Cox will play mostly forward this game" he has spent 50% in the ruck, 10% on the ball and 40% in the forward line. Id like to see him stay there most of the match to see what he can do.

Over the past couple of years-more notably this year he just eyeballs the other ruckman, barely jumps and uses his accumulated ruckbrain knowledge which is a sign we need to focus on the future. I would have thought next year we would like to pump at least 10 games into Lycett and give Sinclair a couple more

I don't think we need to be pumping games into Sinclair, he is more back up than anything else at the moment and long term. Lycett though should definitely be given more games next year so long as he deserves them, but also with Cox being rested more often. This obviously hinges on Naitanui being fully fit. IF Naitanui is injured, I would like to see Cox still play the predominantly FF position and allow Lycett to start getting some real ruck work at AFL level alternatively when Cox is out due to being rested Lycett could then play that FF role that Cox should play next year. Early surgery/rest (ie now Jackovich you dumb heck) and a full preseason for Naitanui is vital for him and our team. Going forward Naitanui is entering his peak years and we need him to start playing 60-70% in the ruck for us to be any chance at contending in the future.

Kicked 12 for the year and even kicked 4 v Melbourne ( not hard i know).

I am fine with him playing next year and if he can score 20-30 goals with some small time in the ruck it would be handy. If Lycett can work on playing around the ground like Cox used to it could work well playing all 3 of Lycett, Cox and Nic Nat. We could also rest Cox at times through the year.

Hypothetically if a team was interested in Sinclair, we could ask Cox to be our back up to Lycett and Naitanui in 2015. This is assuming Lycett overtakes Cox in playing capability and fitness. A situation could arise where we get him to the 300 though he fully knows that he isn't in the best 22 and more so there as depth. Obviously though this is tough as we are talking about an absolute champion of the game who probably has an ego to deal with too.

He's probably got 1 good year left in him, don't think he's ever been 100% this year but some of his efforts have been disgraceful throughout the year.

We can't play Cox,Lycett and NicNat in the same team though, unless cox is playing FF and kicking 40+ goals. That means we wont really see Lycett until 2015, apart from the occasional game we rest Cox or Nic

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Cox...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back