Workshop Create a Random AFL Guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Create an AFL Guernsey

Sanfl eagles, fair enough. Much better than their current one. Again, old designs are always timeless classics and never date.

quite right, i mean really?

2a7e5jq.jpg

Now that i'm not at work on my iphone, I can say a bit more about the Swans and reverting to the V. That's fine, IF you keep the oprah house, going back to the V an abolishing the opera house completely removes any identity that Sydney have formed with that jumper.

I like the name bloods, but not for Sydney, they have built a brand up there, slowly but surely, they must do everything they can to promote that especially with a new team coming in there. Playing second fiddle to a poor melbourne club that relocated certainly will not help them.

While embracing South Melbourne is a good idea, using the V with the opera house in it would be perfect, they need to keep their Sydney identity, changing to the exact South Melbourne guernsey, their nickname, will be a huge step backwards, one they cant take with a new club in 2012.

Plus the idea of changing to the nickname short for blood stained angels sounds really stupid to me, it's a nickname that should stay just that. Why not change it to North melbourne Shinboners?..

Sorry, pointless rant over.

Opera House isnt needed. It's like a Lions guernsey with the map of QLD on it so that QLDers "know" who they are. It was done in the relocation point so that fickle sydneysiders would try to identify with it. But a stupid thing like the AFL thinking like that in itself would be "enough" to have Sydneysiders suddenly think it were really THEIR team.

Dont forget the Swans have SMFC on the back of the guernsey. Could you get a more contradictory marketing point than that?? And there's always that effort to remind itself of its Sth Melb heritage and continued attachment. It's why the GC Kangaroos or Tassie Hawks would never work.

Also, when the Swans won the GF, all they did was "go the bloods" and "this one is for you Sth Melb". Etc.

Face it, all Sydneysiders have never treated the Swans as their own team really, because it was thrown onto their lap with a silly little gesture (opera house).

Bloods is a great name and there's no point for "Swans". Swans itself is there because a lot of Swan Districts players in the 30's-50's helped make Sth Melb strong during an era. Anyway, it's like when the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee, they originally kept the name Oilers, but there are no dykes in Memphis. So they changed it. If they really wanna make it a true Sydney team, they'd need to re-invent it....new colors, new name etc.

Just on that last point...

The only reason they keep it so attached to SM is because of that AFL need for old Vic fans of SM to continue supporting the Sydney team when they play in Melb, to keep the crowds high. Imo, it's pathetic of the AFL to use both cities like that. Stringing them along. Also, if the AFL were so sure of Sydney adopting AR, they'd allow it to totally divorce (colors, guernsey) from the old SMFC attachment. But they never do because they cant rely on Sydney the city/fans.

WS18 imo will actually end up far more supported and prosper than the Swans will purely because Sydney people will at least say "that's our team at least".

Opera House isnt needed. It's like a Lions guernsey with the map of QLD on it so that QLDers "know" who they are. It was done in the relocation point so that fickle sydneysiders would try to identify with it. But a stupid thing like the AFL thinking like that in itself would be "enough" to have Sydneysiders suddenly think it were really THEIR team.

Dont forget the Swans have SMFC on the back of the guernsey. Could you get a more contradictory marketing point than that?? And there's always that effort to remind itself of its Sth Melb heritage and continued attachment. It's why the GC Kangaroos or Tassie Hawks would never work.

Also, when the Swans won the GF, all they did was "go the bloods" and "this one is for you Sth Melb". Etc.

Face it, all Sydneysiders have never treated the Swans as their own team really, because it was thrown onto their lap with a silly little gesture (opera house).

Bloods is a great name and there's no point for "Swans". Swans itself is there because a lot of Swan Districts players in the 30's-50's helped make Sth Melb strong during an era. Anyway, it's like when the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee, they originally kept the name Oilers, but there are no dykes in Memphis. So they changed it. If they really wanna make it a true Sydney team, they'd need to re-invent it....new colors, new name etc.

The opera house is a internationally recognised symbol of Sydney. It's better than a random animal that has nothing to do with the location. It's a very strong icon to have on a guernsey, and it is done in a subtle way which makes it very aesthetically pleasing.

As they should, there's nothing wrong with embracing the past. There is something wrong with having it overshadow your current and future. Which is what a replica South Melbourne guernsey does. It has nothing Sydney on that jumper.

That was what, 2 players? Big deal, there's still a lot of South Melbourne support, which is great, as I said embrace that. But most of their support is in their current location, Sydney.

I didn't argue against the greatness of the name, I agree it is a great name. But with relating to Sydney, it is an unofficial nickname that should stay that way, just like Shinboners, just like mustardpots (although not so great). It would just be a step in reverting to being more like South Melbourne, it is Sydney now, they need their own identity as well as honouring their past. Everything when the players run out onto the field screaming South Melbourne, doesn't do that.

If the Swans is to become truly "Sydney", they'd need to change the name to like Sydney Sharks or something that is iconclastic of the region. Same with colors (navy and blue).

If WS18 enters as an expansion team, not relocation, you'll see it in navy and blue and sydney people will abandon the bastard swans.

Also, i dont know of many if any teams around the world or here who need to resort to some landmark to make their team identified. San Francisco 49ers dont have a big golden gate bridge. New York Giants dont have the Empire State on their helmet. London soccer teams dont have Big Ben or London Bridge. Etc.

But like i said when smeagle posted the pic....if they REALLY REALLY wanna keep the opera house, ffffiiiiiiine, but the uniform he created is what they really should do because the Swans really aggravate the hell out of me with their current uniform.

The 'Swans' didn't just happen in 1982 tho' they have been the Swans for 70 years. The reality is that a number of Sydneysiders see the 'Swans' as the transplant Victorian name. They have no idea of VFL history, the fact that SM was once know as the Bloods was largely news to them.

The Swans got rid of their 'iconic' image when they took the bridge of their logo. They should have kept that. But no other club has some state identifier on their jumpers. We all know that Sydneysiders are the most fickle sport followers in the country, but they will jump off when the Swans go down, not because of what they wear.

I think they would acknowledge that the SM jumper is frankly just a better looking jumper.

If WS18 enters as an expansion team, not relocation, you'll see it in navy and blue and sydney people will abandon the bastard swans.

Hence what i'm saying. Sydney need to keep their identity that they have built over the last 20+ years as Sydney, if they go back to looking and sounding exactly like South Melbourne, even more supporters would abandon them for the new team.

Being a clone of a struggling Melbourne club isn't going to help them move forward and keep these fans once WS comes in.

Aneale...

The Swans is an old name, sure. But again, the point is Houston Oilers becoming Tennessee Oilers, and therefore the fans forcing a changed name to truly identify with the region. So they changed it, same with the jersey and colors. It's now a Memphis team. And the thing is, the franchise history is still there----40 years of Houston Oilers + 10 of Memphis.

Sydney could easily change the Swans name, and colors and it would make them more inclined to associate it as a Sydney team, whilst still retaining that heritage as Sth Melb for 100 years. But "that would upset too many melbournians who wont start attending Sydney games in melb".

Sydney fans arent really even behind the Swans. It's all BS. No one REALLY cares. So yes, they'll abandon it more when they decide they want to and not "because" of the colors. But I still think WS18 in navy/blue will destroy the Swans perception as NSW's team.

Hence what i'm saying. Sydney need to keep their identity that they have built over the last 20+ years as Sydney, if they go back to looking and sounding exactly like South Melbourne, even more supporters would abandon them for the new team.

Being a clone of a struggling Melbourne club isn't going to help them move forward and keep these fans once WS comes in.

I agree with you tho! But imo they should be doing it with the colors and nickname. Not plonking a silly little opera house there, whilst having SMFC on the back and still promoting the club as a SMFC to melbournians etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast Kangaroos! Lol. How insane would that be. The AFL was ready to pump $20m+ into that whole brand. The AFL have zero understanding.

They even tried to have Adelaide Lions at one point! More insanity. Like SA'ns wouldve embraced that! No, they wanted their own name "Crows".

People mock me for this, but really, guernsey, colors and nicknames DO have a lot to do with popularity and sense of attachment to teams.

I gotta say it concerned me that the only other West Sydney brand, changed their name in a heartbeat to remove 'West' - for such a large population growth area, particularly from cultures that may understand basketball more than footy, I thought it said a fair bit.

Not that it could ever be a reality, but the AFL would have to wonder about the Swans long term if WS came in looking something like this

2uoqs2b.jpg

If they even remotely make it look like some sort of NSW SOO jumper, there will have to be a certain level of appeal. And why wouldn't you, light blue is not used apart from Sturt in a senior league.

I was gonna mention a waratah too lol. But imo people do hold highly such things (emblems, logos, colors, nicknames). WS18 will out-profit and out-popularize Swans purely for that if that occured. But it wouldnt be a surprise if the AFL will look to relocate a Vic team, retain their nickname and colors, have the old team printed on the back, and rely on the Vic fans to still make melb away games well-attended.

I agree with you tho! But imo they should be doing it with the colors and nickname. Not plonking a silly little opera house there, whilst having SMFC on the back and still promoting the club as a SMFC to melbournians etc.

Maybe they should have changed the colours, or at least modified them, and changed the name. When they moved.

20 years on it would be too late.

But it certainly wouldn't be a good idea o go backwards and more towards the original South Melbourne now is it.

Better to change now toward the best than never change at all. Soon as WS18 comes in, it'll just end up replacing the Swans as the only Sydney team.

As for going back to Sth Melb. You're right. I guess the original issue was about the guernsey itself, having an all-red with white-V for home and an all-white with red-V for away as an improvement over the current one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Workshop Create a Random AFL Guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back