Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Bontempelli and Cripps are just pleasures to watch. Here's hoping they stay one club players (unless B wants to come to the Blues!) and stay relatively injury free.

Both clearly exceptional young players. The question as to who's better will ultimately be answered when both their careers have been completed.
I think Bont has a slight edge as far as polished skills, but for mine (blues bias aside) I'd take Cripps at this point.
More impact, more aggressive attack on the ball and opposition and I think if you were a tagger, you'd have a tougher time stopping Cripps than you would Bont.

surely cripps. He will bring so many of his team mates into the game through his clearance work. When a game is there to be won you need someone that will start the ball rolling. patrick is that sort of player. The Bont may be very good but his go is more outside than cripps- surely a very influential player but just not so much at the coal face

I just don't feel as though the Bont can win a brownlow, Cripps definitely can, now that doesn't make him better but Crippa is more damaging... Will be opposition teams shut down player just like Juddy was, difference is can this kid be stopped? The good thing is, is that he doesn't need the burst or speed, his footy smarts are elite along with his reading ability... I just love him too much to go past him!! Bont is a freak though, 2 of the most prestigious kids in the game!! The Judd and Ablett of the future but both very different players..

I think there's an x-factor, game-turning element that Bont has that is extraordinary. He lopes along looking like he's at half-pace then the ball explodes off his foot 65m forwards. Could be anything. But Cripps I think will continue to be more meat-and-potatoes consistent. He'll do more more often, but Bont's best will be better.

That said, BF fans and boards disappear into their own navels worrying about this stuff. Do we have a beauty in Cripps? Yes we do. Does it matter whether he's the best, or not as good, or slightly better than someone else? No. What matters is finding another beauty - and another - and building a team. There's NO doubt at this stage Cripps can be a key cog in a very strong team one day.

I see Cripps, I see Josh P Kennedy at the Swans. I see Bont, I see.... something quite unique that I can't quite put a match to. Maybe Koutafides?

Look I know certain posters have lifesize posters of Patrick on the ceiling above their matrimonial bed but seriously...

Bontempelli, comfortably. Cripps has no outside game whatsoever and 15 clearances a game aside needs to hurt the opposition in general play.

Look I know certain posters have lifesize posters of Patrick on the ceiling above their matrimonial bed but seriously...

Bontempelli, comfortably. Cripps has no outside game whatsoever and 15 clearances a game aside needs to hurt the opposition in general play.
Has shown glimpses of this already (I think firstly of the game against Collingwood where he took the ball away and linked up through the middle a few times), plus his contested marking is a strength that I think is better than Bonts.

With more fitness and speed work, Cripps will hopefully be more effective 'outside', but even if he just continues to focus on contested ball, there's no issue there. Very rarely is there a player that comes along with a 'complete game' i.e. contested ball dominance, elite outside run and delivery, contested marking and goal kicking.

I think there's an x-factor, game-turning element that Bont has that is extraordinary. He lopes along looking like he's at half-pace then the ball explodes off his foot 65m forwards. Could be anything. But Cripps I think will continue to be more meat-and-potatoes consistent. He'll do more more often, but Bont's best will be better.

That said, BF fans and boards disappear into their own navels worrying about this stuff. Do we have a beauty in Cripps? Yes we do. Does it matter whether he's the best, or not as good, or slightly better than someone else? No. What matters is finding another beauty - and another - and building a team. There's NO doubt at this stage Cripps can be a key cog in a very strong team one day.

I see Cripps, I see Josh P Kennedy at the Swans. I see Bont, I see.... something quite unique that I can't quite put a match to. Maybe Koutafides?
What do you think you're doing? There's no room for common sense on the internet. Those bytes could be used for more boobz!

I would be interested in hearing how impartials would rate these two.

We chronically overrate our list (apparently some are not aware we are the reigning wooden spooners ).

I would guess most supporters would have Bontempelli slightly ahead at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With more fitness and speed work, Cripps will hopefully be more effective 'outside', but even if he just continues to focus on contested ball, there's no issue there. Very rarely is there a player that comes along with a 'complete game' i.e. contested ball dominance, elite outside run and delivery, contested marking and goal kicking.

An impressive debut season but he has various things to work on. I just think we're getting ahead of ourselves when he has not the elite endurance of Curnow, the poise and footskills of Gibbs, running patterns of Murphy etc.

For this, I have Bonts ahead. But if Patrick becomes a resting forward, look out! :)

An impressive debut season but he has various things to work on. I just think we're getting ahead of ourselves when he has not the elite endurance of Curnow, the poise and footskills of Gibbs, running patterns of Murphy etc.

For this, I have Bonts ahead. But if Patrick becomes a resting forward, look out! :)
So your saying that the Bont has all those things you mentioned?

So your saying that the Bont has all those things you mentioned?
Well I'm not sure what the point of this thread is other than to validate your supposition that Cripps is the 'better' player?

One has to do more than tackle strongly and win clearances. Via Cripps, Carlton owned the stoppages in 2015 but still lost convincingly around the ground where no one stood up and ruled the open spaces.

Bontempelli at this stage, and in my opinion only, has more tricks. That's no slight on Patrick but merely a recognition that he's only young and still learning.

Well I'm not sure what the point of this thread is other than to validate your supposition that Cripps is the 'better' player?

One has to do more than tackle strongly and win clearances. Via Cripps, Carlton owned the stoppages in 2015 but still lost convincingly around the ground where no one stood up and ruled the open spaces.

Bontempelli at this stage, and in my opinion only, has more tricks. That's no slight on Patrick but merely a recognition that he's only young and still learning.
The point of the thread is to view peoples opinions, that's what I thought threads were for... If you think we're overrating Cripps then I'm not sure what you're watching, imo Cripps is better but that doesn't make me right or wrong just like your opinion can't be right or wrong... Btw the Bont is still young and learning so I have no idea what you're actually trying to say...

Both are genuine young guns, I love watching Bont play and I obviously love watching young Cripps play. I agree with Azul in that Cripps still has some things to work on and I would have to say the Bont is the better player with match winning abilities at this stage.

Love Cripps though and he is exactly the right type of player we need with where we are at the moment.

Bont may look better because he is in a reasonable side. If he was providing outside run at the Blues last year, he may well have had a forgettable year.

Throw Cripps and his ball winning ability into the Dogs (or any other reasonably good running side) and the hype would have been ridiculous, it is not his fault we cannot capitalise on his good work. If we were kicking 8-10 goals a week from his stoppage work, it is likely he would have won the Rising Star award despite the media hype about key position players.

Both players are exactly what their team needs at the moment. Going to be good to watch them both over the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back