Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Bontempelli at the moment is probably the better footballer but you can't predict where they'll end up at the end of their careers.
Cripps suits Carlton better though, his leadership cannot be understated.

I'd have both far and away ahead of Billings.

Is there a reason why Billings seems to slot into this discussion regularly and not Kelly, KK, Sheed, McDonald etc?
Is it because we see this trio as being the best of the 2013 crop, maybe?

Didn't Collingwood luck-out with Scharenberg and Freeman at #6 and #10, though?

hardly but I think comparisons with Diesel are way premature. Greg had the sublime ability to hit a target off both feet and I can't imagine Cripps managing 5 goals in a GF.

Future Brownlow Medallist? Big call. Doesn't have the game-changing qualities of a Judd or a Fyfe. But early doors...
Does he have the abilities of a woewoedin?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/marcus-bontempelli-vs-patrick-cripps.1107284/

Huge fan of both, but Bontempelli is a better player IMO. He'd be my first picked player in the league if starting a team from scratch.
I see Cripps as just starting to shine. His work ethic and fitness level is rising almost exponentially, and I think another year under his belt we will start to see a seriously elite footballer in the Judd/Ablett class. Bontempelli is already a super player, but I get the feeling we've seen most of his tricks now.

hardly but I think comparisons with Diesel are way premature. Greg had the sublime ability to hit a target off both feet and I can't imagine Cripps managing 5 goals in a GF.

Future Brownlow Medallist? Big call. Doesn't have the game-changing qualities of a Judd or a Fyfe. But early doors...
I reckon he could if he also spent as much time up forward as Diesel did in the 2nd half.

I see Cripps as just starting to shine. His work ethic and fitness level is rising almost exponentially, and I think another year under his belt we will start to see a seriously elite footballer in the Judd/Ablett class. Bontempelli is already a super player, but I get the feeling we've seen most of his tricks now.

We should get a good look at Cripps this year.
He's quicker than last year.........He's clearly stronger than last year..........and his will won't allow him to go backwards.

We now have some real speed on the outside with Boekhorst, Cuningham and Smith.
Reckon we'll see a lot of ball get to these guys whether it be directly from Cripps or one of Cripps' clearances.

I think both are a bit overrated in terms of where they're at presently as footballers, which admittedly seems to be the mandatory thing with promising young footballers.
Given their development to date though, both Dogs and Blues fans will be rapt to have their respective player.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

I think both are a bit overrated in terms of where they're at presently as footballers, which admittedly seems to be the mandatory thing with promising young footballers.
Given their development to date though, both Dogs and Blues fans will be rapt to have their respective player.

Cripps:
  • 8th in the AFL for contested possessions per game (10th total)
  • 11th for clearances per game (14th total)
  • 5th in handballs per game (12th total)
  • Only 23 career games
  • Not yet 21 years old.
I don't think he is overrated. He is a star in the making.

Cripps:
  • 8th in the AFL for contested possessions per game (10th total)
  • 11th for clearances per game (14th total)
  • 5th in handballs per game (12th total)
  • Only 23 career games
  • Not yet 21 years old.
I don't think he is overrated. He is a star in the making.

Saying someone is overrated doesn't mean they aren't still a good player.
Realistically, he's a very nice young player and probably already our second most influential mid, that said the Brownlow talk is getting a touch carried away.

Saying someone is overrated doesn't mean they aren't still a good player.
Realistically, he's a very nice young player and probably already our second most influential mid, that said the Brownlow talk is getting a touch carried away.

You wont be saying that after this season is done and dusted.

FWIW, champion data applies the tag 'most underated in the comp' to the bont. They have some kind of formula that they apply to every involvement in play that a player has that supposedly measures their influence on a game, how they use it, whether that interaction wins the ball or merely applies defensive pressure or whatever - if they cough it up or butcher it they get -ve points. Its still just a stat, but if you are going to use stats at all, those would be the ones to use.

By their measure, Bont is 11th in the comp with 5xx points. The only other youngster in the top 20 is Wingard at number 20 - all the rest are the seasoned elite veterans of the comp such as Pendles, Danger, Fyfe, etc... I think Cripps came in around 2xx points, but Im not sure of the overall comp postition that gave him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, champion data applies the tag 'most underated in the comp' to the bont. They have some kind of formula that they apply to every involvement in play that a player has that supposedly measures their influence on a game, whether that interaction wins the ball or merely applies defensive pressure or whatever. Its still just a stat, but if you are going to use stats at all, those would be the ones to use.

By their measure, Bont is 11th in the comp with 5xx points. The only other youngster in the top 20 is Wingard at number 20 - all the rest are the seasoned elite veterans of the comp such as Hodge and Fyfe, etc... I think Cripps came in around 2xx points, but Im not sure of the overall comp postition that gave him
Don't know if they work from the same system as the AFL player ratings where they measure the last 40 games, but if so, its why Cripps might not feature. Has only played 23.

Don't know if they work from the same system as the AFL player ratings where they measure the last 40 games, but if so, its why Cripps might not feature. Has only played 23.

Yeah, if they assign 0 to unplayed games its going to knock his score way down.

Not a slight on Cripps, just pointing out that Bont has more than 'tricks' - his ball use, inside and out, and defensive work is way up there such that he has burst to #11 on their charts after 37 games while averaging only 22 possies per game. Not sure whats going to happen when he is 5 kilos heavier and averaging possessions in the 30s.

Yeah, if they assign 0 to unplayed games its going to knock his score way down.

Not a slight on Cripps, just pointing out that Bont has more than 'tricks' - his ball use, inside and out, and defensive work is way up there such that he has burst to #11 on their charts after 37 games while averaging only 22 possies per game. Not sure whats going to happen when he is 5 kilos heavier and averaging possessions in the 30s.
Yep would agree with that. Bontempelli can be played just about anywhere on the ground and will be able to burst away and use the ball super well. Cripps is much more of an inside mid who can also play forward very effectively. Has apparently continued to work on his leg power to get that burst of speed and strength in the contest improved, so can't wait to see how that affects his game. He is visibly much stronger this year.

Yep would agree with that. Bontempelli can be played just about anywhere on the ground and will be able to burst away and use the ball super well. Cripps is much more of an inside mid who can also play forward very effectively. Has apparently continued to work on his leg power to get that burst of speed and strength in the contest improved, so can't wait to see how that affects his game. He is visibly much stronger this year.

Bont is slow as a wet week over the the first 5 meters, but he is slippery and he knows when to go.

Is there a reason why Billings seems to slot into this discussion regularly and not Kelly, KK, Sheed, McDonald etc?
Is it because we see this trio as being the best of the 2013 crop, maybe?

Didn't Collingwood luck-out with Scharenberg and Freeman at #6 and #10, though?

I really rate billings his quick skillfully and can win his own ball with ease I think his going to have a massive year tbh

I think he plays a bit like hird but a bit quicker and bigger probably a little less Polish he causes problems everywhere like hird did just not to the scale hird did but only young

Bont is slow as a wet week over the the first 5 meters, but he is slippery and he knows when to go.
Never really got that impression to be honest. Thought he moved a lot like Pendles where it's a long sort of stride that is actually quicker than you think lol

Not going to argue who is better but those thinking Bonts is largely an outside player obviously don't see enough of him. His inside work and tackling is terrific. Cripps is not dissimilar...probably a little less x factor at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back