Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Ideal, meant to be a "super draft" next year, the combo pick will be very valuable next year, especially for GWS. Certainly no down grade needed

I certainly wouldn't be keen to pay more than has been speculated. Crouch is seen as an obvious top five pick but a lot can change. Usually the standouts are known well in advance though. Darling only slipped significantly because of off field issues. Selwood was seen as an obvious no.1 and slipped because of knee issues (he would most likely have gone one or two if the clubs had known how it would pan out).

I like the idea because it gives us a chance to lock in the player we want well in advance and get them in to train with us (even though they can't play). It seems to have done wonders for Libba. It also removes the significant incentive to tank. We can spend a year developing our other midfielders in the knowledge a top-tier talent (plus our other first rounder from next year) will join us at the end of the season.

One small caveat. If there's a player we rate who is likely to be around at 17 but not at 25 we should think long and hard about it. We'll still have some solid picks next year if we hold on to it.

I certainly wouldn't be keen to pay more than has been speculated. Crouch is seen as an obvious top five pick but a lot can change. Usually the standouts are known well in advance though. Darling only slipped significantly because of off field issues. Selwood was seen as an obvious no.1 and slipped because of knee issues (he would most likely have gone one or two if the clubs had known how it would pan out).
And yes, Crouch could do an ACL next year too.

It's like real estate, the stock market or the gallops. By the time the form or value is confirmed the price may be unaffordable.

We have to decide whether taking on the risk gives us an appreciable advantage in price.

And yes, Crouch could do an ACL next year too.

It's like real estate, the stock market or the gallops. By the time the form or value is confirmed the price may be unaffordable.

We have to decide whether taking on the risk gives us an appreciable advantage in price.

That's true but it's the same as taking a player knowing they'll play school footy for a year (Jones, Luke Ball, Dangerfield). He could lose the plot or do an ACL next year but the player we take next year, should we keep the pick and activate it, could do an ACL in their first training session at the club anyway. We might go to have a very good year and end up with pick 12-15 (keeping in mind Geelong, Melbourne and Adelaide also have picks that may be activated next year) and Crouch may step it up and become the best player in the draft.

If a player has a sound medical history and looks like a standout I don't think it's too much of an issue getting them a year early. I agree wholeheartedly that we should not get caught paying over the odds. Worst case scenario we'll probably get two solid kids with the picks we'd use to get him.

If a player has a sound medical history and looks like a standout I don't think it's too much of an issue getting them a year early. I agree wholeheartedly that we should not get caught paying over the odds. Worst case scenario we'll probably get two solid kids with the picks we'd use to get him.

Crouch recently came back from a broken leg.

Its wildly variable - things that could change in 12 months:

1) Crouchs stocks - up or down
2) Other draftees stocks - up or down. i.e. other players could leapfrog him
3) the big variable - where we finish in 2011, because that affects our compo pick. If we finish below melbourne and adelaide, our compo pick is likely to be top 5, whereas if we play finals, our compo pick is likely to be around 12-16.

Would be thrilled with this deal to be honest. From what I've seen could pass in the Joel Selwood category with great leadership skills and a hunger for the ball.

Ward combo pick could be a big loss but I still think we have the potential to be a 7-10 team which means our pick would be at around 7-10 in the draft and Crouch looks like he'd be top 5 in the 2012 'superdraft' worth the punt IMO.

If only we kept the Harbrow pick. I'd put that one up.
The Ward pick is a risk as I think we'll be Bottom 6 next year meaning we're forgoing a top 10 pick.
Also, as others have said, a year is a long time and plenty of kids will rise or fall in the rankings between now and then. Tough call but I'd probably do the deal (just).

Would be thrilled with this deal to be honest. From what I've seen could pass in the Joel Selwood category with great leadership skills and a hunger for the ball.

Ward combo pick could be a big loss but I still think we have the potential to be a 7-10 team which means our pick would be at around 7-10 in the draft and Crouch looks like he'd be top 5 in the 2012 'superdraft' worth the punt IMO.

Remember theres a lot of compo picks out there - geelong got 2 for ablett, ours, melbourne, adelaide and brisbane might have one floating around, plus Gold coast could have a priority pick? (not sure about that one). 2012 is going to be a big first round, and the 8th team probably wont have a pick until pick 12 or so if Melbourne and Adelaide remain bottom 8, not to mention us.

Remember theres a lot of compo picks out there - geelong got 2 for ablett, ours, melbourne, adelaide and brisbane might have one floating around, plus Gold coast could have a priority pick? (not sure about that one). 2012 is going to be a big first round, and the 8th team probably wont have a pick until pick 12 or so if Melbourne and Adelaide remain bottom 8, not to mention us.

Yeah which backs up my point even more, all the more reason to take on Crouch :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there is any truth to this rumour, I don't see how anyone can argue against it.

Make no mistake, Crouch is going to be a genuine star going by what we've seen. A complete footballer. Enormous talent.

I understand our need to shore up our defensive stocks with premium talent, but at pick 17 there's still no guarantee that Talia will still be available. GWS could take him with picks 11-15.

Pick 25 means that we could still be in the mix to pick up someone like a Sam Frost, who is also a highly rated CHB/CHF. We also end up with a genuine A-grade midfielder to compliment the likes of Wallis and Liberatore for the next 12 years.

There's always the chance that we can package pick 25 and a player to upgrade a few spots in the first round as well (Unlikely, but Talia could still be available).

Also, can anyone realistically see us finishing lower than GWS, GCS, Port, Brisbane, even Melbourne/Richmond? There's almost no chance at this stage that we will be in the hunt for someone like Crouch who will be a likely top 3 pick in what is supposed to be the strongest draft we've seen.

We will still end up with a top 10 pick next year to address needs. Let's just hope that Lachie Hunter doesn't have a blinder next year and end up as one of those top 10 picks.

If there is any truth to this rumour, I don't see how anyone can argue against it.

Make no mistake, Crouch is going to be a genuine star going by what we've seen. A complete footballer. Enormous talent.

I understand our need to shore up our defensive stocks with premium talent, but at pick 17 there's still no guarantee that Talia will still be available. GWS could take him with picks 11-15.

Pick 25 means that we could still be in the mix to pick up someone like a Sam Frost, who is also a highly rated CHB/CHF. We also end up with a genuine A-grade midfielder to compliment the likes of Wallis and Liberatore for the next 12 years.

There's always the chance that we can package pick 25 and a player to upgrade a few spots in the first round as well (Unlikely, but Talia could still be available).

Also, can anyone realistically see us finishing lower than GWS, GCS, Port, Brisbane, even Melbourne/Richmond? There's almost no chance at this stage that we will be in the hunt for someone like Crouch who will be a likely top 3 pick in what is supposed to be the strongest draft we've seen.

We will still end up with a top 10 pick next year to address needs. Let's just hope that Lachie Hunter doesn't have a blinder next year and end up as one of those top 10 picks.

Im not against the deal per se, as I reckon our screaming priority is for midfielders who can use the ball, but who says Crouch is top 3 in 2012? Where is that info coming from exactly?

Im not against the deal per se, as I reckon our screaming priority is for midfielders who can use the ball, but who says Crouch is top 3 in 2012? Where is that info coming from exactly?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but GWS get to choose 5 17 yo kids to prelist and trade on. I think the assumption is that they would choose the 5 best young 17 yo kids, who have the greatest value. Since Crouch is the second most highly rated of the five, then he would be top 3?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but GWS get to choose 5 17 yo kids to prelist and trade on. I think the assumption is that they would choose the 5 best young 17 yo kids, who have the greatest value. Since Crouch is the second most highly rated of the five, then he would be top 3?

A mini draft will take place in which the holders of the relevant draft picks (there are only four) take their turn in selecting the best of 25-odd 17 year olds. GWS hold these picks and can trade them (they cannot use them themselves).

Crouch is seen as the second most promising of these. What has been said by those supposedly in the know (Quayle etc...) is that he would be a clear top five pick if he was left to participate in the normal draft next year.

He looks like a top 10 draft pick at any rate.

Consider this: we finished 10th this year, with Lake and Cooney not making any impact, Morris with a broken leg, Sherman suspended for 6 weeks, Shaggy with a bad ankle injury, Grant out of sorts, Easton Wood, out for several weeks, Dalhous not playing until later in the year etc etc...all in all a jerky, disjointed, injury laden year.

I think we can and will improve next year with a new game plan, and being revitalised with a new coach, this will mean that we will not have a top 10 draft pick if we make the bottom part of the finals as I think we will do.

It's a gamble, but one I think we should take, we will never get an opportunity like this again.

He looks like a top 10 draft pick at any rate.

Consider this: we finished 10th this year, with Lake and Cooney not making any impact, Morris with a broken leg, Sherman suspended for 6 weeks, Shaggy with a bad ankle injury, Grant out of sorts, Easton Wood, out for several weeks, Dalhous not playing until later in the year etc etc...all in all a jerky, disjointed, injury laden year.

I think we can and will improve next year with a new game plan, and being revitalised with a new coach, this will mean that we will not have a top 10 draft pick if we make the bottom part of the finals as I think we will do.

It's a gamble, but one I think we should take, we will never get an opportunity like this again.

Agree with all of it!

Just the one thing that most of us aren't worrying about - Did we offer this, or did GWS ask for this?

Considering Melbourne are getting 2 compo picks (for Scully), what do you think the chances are of them coming good next year? By playing to their usual standards they could end up with 3 top 5 or 6 picks next year.

Even if we have an average season we could end up quite a long way down the pecking order.

Did any of the really highly rated ones not nominate? I think most would love to get an early chance and have NO chance of going to GWS.

As far as i know all who could nominate did nominate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back