stevothedevo

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2007
Leftfield
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are others?
34,610...thought this was fairly reasonable considering the following...

It was live into Melbourne.
1st V bottom.
Olympic opening ceremony.
Weather was crap.
Melbourne don't have a huge following.

What does anyone else think cause a couple of media reports got me thinking that I was unreasonable in my assessment of the attendance.

I was there for the curtain raiser (those kids cheers put all AFL cheer squads to shame) and the majority of the kids left after that game. Having said that, they only occupied roughly two or three bays all together.

1st V bottom.
Weather was crap.

What does anyone else think cause a couple of media reports got me thinking that I was unreasonable in my assessment of the attendance.

Add to that it was an early start too which prob ruled out a few people being able to make it in time...

Who says the AFL doesn't inflate their crowd figures!

Not a chance there was 36,000 on Friday night. 25k at the most.

I was there and thought about 25-28,000 as well. Must be alot more room tucked underneath the stands than I thought. But if 34,610 is indeed the correct number, congrates on those who braved it.

Who says the AFL doesn't inflate their crowd figures!

Not a chance there was 36,000 on Friday night. 25k at the most.

Yeah, that was my estimate on the night as well. I was stunned when I read the figure over the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there and estimated 30k, the MCC was quite populated, it built up quite a bit as the game started, before that i was worried it wouldn't even crack 20k.

1st V bottom.
Weather was crap.

I honestly thought the crowd would be about 15,000.

Gotta be honest I didnt even go and i am there pretty much all the time in Victoria.

Glad it's not just me then.

I thought there was about 25,000 max on Friday night.

did see a lot of school kids leaving as i arrived though.

i watched Scotch and the Grammar and reckon about 3-4k school uniforms left after that game. they all count in the final attendance figures. But yes over 30k coming up on the scoreboard caught me a bit by surprise. Considering how empty the top deck of the Southern was. That is usually a good indicator for crowd sizes at the G. I would've thought 28k tops.

I still dont think there was 70k + at the state game either. Maybe some nice sugar coating going on??

surely there weren't 3-4k from just two schools??

would mean every enrolled student turned up - and then some.

there were heaps of them. Lots from other schools were there too. The Scotch boys took up the first half of 2 and bit sections of the southern stand flank an the Grammar boys took up about the same on the opposite end in the ponsford (where i sat). Im not sure how many are enrolled in these schools but a whole swag of juniors rocked up in the first quarter as well.

I thought there was about 25,000 max on Friday night.

did see a lot of school kids leaving as i arrived though.

Agree. I had a look around when they flashed the attendance up and it couldn't have been more than a quarter full.

Also passed a heap of school kids and their families going the other way over the foot bridge from Fed Square. Always head there for a few pre-game frothies ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowd at the 'G' last Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back