No 1 Draft Pick

All Australian
Oct 14, 2004
West Lakes Blvd
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
Mark Stevens and James Begley have dispelled lingering doubts about their fitness and have signed new one-year contracts with Adelaide.

Centre half-forward Stevens (knee) and defender-cum-utility Begley (adductor) were included on the Crows' list sent to the AFL by Friday's deadline and ahead of the pre-season and rookie drafts on Tuesday week (December 14).

"We've submitted our list this morning and both Mark and James are on it," said John Reid, Adelaide's general manager of football operations.

"We sat down and had a pretty thorough assessment of it all, went through the medical notes again, and we've seen what they've been doing on the track.

"Basically, they've achieved what's required at this stage. That's no guarantee but there are no guarantees with any other player on the list. But at this stage, for what they were asked to do, they've passed with flying colours.

"Mark has had a pretty wretched couple of years. We've all had our fingers crossed he doesn't have that bit of bad luck with it. But the way he's going about it and the program the club has given him, all indications are that he'll stand up pretty well.

"What happens in games, of course, well, all players have got that same amount of risk."

Reid said Begley had got through his recent training schedule 'really well'.

"And the operation's come up really well - it looks good," he said. "It's a bit of a problem that's probably nagged him for a couple of years so hopefully that puts that to rest."

Reid said Stevens and Begley were doing what the other players were doing at training.

"That's what we needed them to show us," he said. "What we didn't want to see was that they had to interrupt that program between now and this D-day.

"It would be fair to say they're under no more pressure than anybody else. They'll need to work on it and make sure it all comes good.

"Mark won't be nursed but we have varying (fitness) programs for a lot of our players and I'm quite certain Mark will slot into that. Be assured that program will be tough and hard, and he'll cope with that.

"Mark's had problems with the knee (for some time) and it's got some degeneration in it. But the medical people believe that, handled correctly and with a bit of luck and some good management, the knee is good enough to play (on).

"It's not a big risk. Otherwise we wouldn't have put him on. But there is a risk, there's a risk with every player. We believe the risk is worth taking."

Reid said the Crows' squad had a 'few niggles and things', which it had 'quite often at this time of the year', but he dismissed suggestions the players were already training too hard and too often.

Well it's good that they've gotten this far.

The next test is whether they can last the full pre-season.

This must surely be Mark Stevens' last chance to get his body right.

Hooray! I'm glad to hear they came up, particularly Stevo.
Hopefully he justifies the clubs decision by playing regularly and impressively. :D

crowsarethebest said:
Yay, would be happy if he kicks around 40goals+ :)
Isn't that a bit much considering that he has never kicked more than 38 goals in a year (including finals) in his entire career??????:p

Maybe if we play him as a FF and he plays 20 games then he could be a chance :)

Crow-mosone said:
If they both come good, we are much better club than without them.
As stupid as this may sound I honestly think that Stevens is the difference between us being a bottom 8 side and making the finals.

I think that he is just about the most important player for us as far as structure goes :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stiffy_18 said:
Isn't that a bit much considering that he has never kicked more than 38 goals in a year (including finals) in his entire career??????:p

Maybe if we play him as a FF and he plays 20 games then he could be a chance :)
I think if he stays injury free and be in form he can get 40 goals +

No 1 Draft Pick said:
"Mark's had problems with the knee (for some time) and it's got some degeneration in it. But the medical people believe that, handled correctly and with a bit of luck and some good management, the knee is good enough to play (on).

Thats not making me feel very confident about this injury staying away!

Great news for both of them :)

Here's hoping Stevo stays fit and healthy for the year. He definitely makes a huge difference to the side and the forward line sure does need him.

Stiffy_18 said:
As stupid as this may sound I honestly think that Stevens is the difference between us being a bottom 8 side and making the finals.

I think that he is just about the most important player for us as far as structure goes :(

Without repping for credibility :p I agree but only on the example of our ''Carey years'' in that without Stevens at CHF we struggled and IMO so did Carey. Stevens was our structure at CHF and our reason for chasing Carey. Once Stevens went down with an injury it meant more work for an aging Carey because frankly Perrie and co were intimidated by Carey and in Perries case by the opposition.

This is great news!

Can't agree more about the importance of Stevens to our structure. However, the aim this season must be to try and reduce this importance. He can teach our youngsters a lot about how to be a hard working key forward.

Will be interesting to see how he holds up.

The comment about having "a little luck" is reasonable. This is one bloke who has had absolutely none in the last few years.

Body Blow said:
Thats not making me feel very confident about this injury staying away!
Firstly, welcome aboard :)

Right managment and a bit of luck is required by any player not just Stevens. We had McLeod with a similar problem for a fair while now. We also have Goodwin who we need to manage week in week out, then there is Burton, now Hart, Krueger etc...

Right managment and a bit of luck is required by everyone. I doubt we would have taken that big a risk if the club genuinely didn't beleive that Stevo could play majority of games in 2005. The fact that he has actually been out on the track and doing everything that others are doing and then some more, must be a big positive considing that he has no pre-season to speak of for the last 2-3 years.

Stiffy_18 said:
Firstly, welcome aboard :)

Right managment and a bit of luck is required by any player not just Stevens. We had McLeod with a similar problem for a fair while now. We also have Goodwin who we need to manage week in week out, then there is Burton, now Hart, Krueger etc...

The fact that he has actually been out on the track and doing everything that others are doing and then some more, must be a big positive considing that he has no pre-season to speak of for the last 2-3 years.

Firstly, a warm welcome to Body Blow. ;)

Secondly for young Stiffmeister - while we are always managing others with injury including Macca, none of these have an injury to the extent of Stevens. As for the pre-season bit, I remember commenting in training reports at least as late as mid-January this year, that Stevo had never moved better or more freely.

I'm not sure what has changed over the last 2 years or what better methods they have to manage Stevo's injury, other than getting down on their knees and praying.

While I hope like hell Stevo plays all year and gives our structure that stiffening it needs, I'm far from convinced that is what will happen. The true test will be when he has to stand up under genuine and intense match conditions.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.

macca23 said:
Firstly, a warm welcome to Body Blow. ;)

Secondly for young Stiffmeister - while we are always managing others with injury including Macca, none of these have an injury to the extent of Stevens. As for the pre-season bit, I remember commenting in training reports at least as late as mid-January this year, that Stevo had never moved better or more freely.

I'm not sure what has changed over the last 2 years or what better methods they have to manage Stevo's injury, other than getting down on their knees and praying.

While I hope like hell Stevo plays all year and gives our structure that stiffening it needs, I'm far from convinced that is what will happen. The true test will be when he has to stand up under genuine and intense match conditions.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.
Pessimist :p

You are right in saying that its a risk but I don't think the club would have taken a risk as big as some of you are making it out to be. Sure its a risk and probably more risky than any other player on our list but at the same time Stevo is just about the most important player for us as far as structure is concerned.

Even if he manages to play a dozen plus games, I think it would have been worth it. We really need someone there to take off a bit of heat from the promising youngsters. Sure we could have thrown in Watts, Krueger and Hentschel all in at once but I am not sure that would have done us a lot of good.

I have my fingers crossed that Stevo comes up and plays a few games so he justifies the faith the club has put in him. Lets just put some faith into the medical staff and the football department. They made the decision that Stevo is worth the risk so we should go along with that. They would have a lot more infotmation on this than we do

Stiffy_18 said:
Even if he manages to play a dozen plus games, I think it would have been worth it. We really need someone there to take off a bit of heat from the promising youngsters. Sure we could have thrown in Watts, Krueger and Hentschel all in at once but I am not sure that would have done us a lot of good.

I hope he has a teriffic season, but despite what the club says publicly about Stevo and Begley being under no more pressure than anyone else, I don't think that would be the case.

Both would want to play more than a dozen good games this year or I don't think they will be around in 2006.

Realistically, of course players are under different amounts of pressure. Smith still hasn't cracked a game yet, and as pointed out in another post Schuback needs to cement a spot. Even guys like Kruger can't afford another year on the list where they play little to no footy. Ladhams, Skipworth, Shirley, Mattner, Massie and co. will all need to show something.

That said, I sure hope they do :D

And I hope Stevo and Begley both have sensational years.

tinman said:
I hope he has a teriffic season, but despite what the club says publicly about Stevo and Begley being under no more pressure than anyone else, I don't think that would be the case.

Both would want to play more than a dozen good games this year or I don't think they will be around in 2006.

Realistically, of course players are under different amounts of pressure. Smith still hasn't cracked a game yet, and as pointed out in another post Schuback needs to cement a spot. Even guys like Kruger can't afford another year on the list where they play little to no footy. Ladhams, Skipworth, Shirley, Mattner, Massie and co. will all need to show something.

That said, I sure hope they do :D

And I hope Stevo and Begley both have sensational years.
Personally I think that this would be Stevo's final year regardless of how many games he plays.

I see him more as a "filler" until the likes of Hentschel, Watts and Krueger can play AFL footy

Stiffy_18 said:
Personally I think that this would be Stevo's final year regardless of how many games he plays.

I see him more as a "filler" until the likes of Hentschel, Watts and Krueger can play AFL footy
Stiffy, I see him more than a filler - he will be the marshall we need in the forward line to teach the other youngsters about forward play. If Stevo stays sound, it will take the heat of the younger players, both in terms of their importance to the current line-up (of Hentschel / Perrie) & not having to rush the likes Watts & Krueger.

I agree that a fit Stevo gives us real opportunity to push for the finals, whereas without him it is unlikely. A fit Goodwin & Hart will make heck of a differene too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back