Crows Members: Club call you asking for donation?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never received 2 cards in the past but I haven't got my membership pack yet. Must be a new thing this year. Seems odd if it's not for anything in particular.

I've never received 2 cards in the past but I haven't got my membership pack yet. Must be a new thing this year. Seems odd if it's not for anything in particular.

Actually it does say on the back it entitles the member to a discount at crow mania, but I thought last years season ticket had that anyway.

I got the dreaded call tonight. Thanks to this thread, as soon as the person said they were calling from the Adelaide Crows, I knew it was about this.

They said sales were well short of expectations - well what did they expect at this time of the year. Also, the plea too commit becomes desperate when you say you can't afford it, when they suggest you rope others in to chip in for a ticket.

Also I think the club asking for 'donations' for a professional company is pretty poor at the best of times, but to ask for a 'donation' now, when there's people in Queensland who genuinely need many $200 donations is just distasteful. I know this scheme was operating well before the Queensland disaster, but they should have stopped this scheme this week.

Also, is it just me or is it a bit sus that these calls come from a mobile...

Also I think the club asking for 'donations' for a professional company is pretty poor at the best of times, but to ask for a 'donation' now, when there's people in Queensland who genuinely need many $200 donations is just distasteful. I know this scheme was operating well before the Queensland disaster, but they should have stopped this scheme this week.

Also, is it just me or is it a bit sus that these calls come from a mobile...

Its not a donation.

Yes its a fundraiser for the club but think lottery, not charity. Details are on the website too, its not a scam.

If it's not a donation, then why is club specifically calling it a donation when selling it to Members?

Not sure why they would, by definition its not. Perhaps they feel people will be more receptive to something branded a donation rather than a punt. Maybe they're not and you just got caught up on the hysteria of this thread.

Honestly, complaints in this thread are way over the top... the only thing remotely worth getting annoyed at perhaps is getting the phone call at home. Speaking of donations I see the club has donated 20k to the qld floods... should please you given your previous post. :thumbsu:

Not sure why they would, by definition its not. Perhaps they feel people will be more receptive to something branded a donation rather than a punt. Maybe they're not and you just got caught up on the hysteria of this thread.

Honestly, complaints in this thread are way over the top... the only thing remotely worth getting annoyed at perhaps is getting the phone call at home.

Actually they called my mobile, which is worse.

At the end of the day it's a very poorly run scheme by the club that appears to have upset quite a few members.

Just received the call. The girl that called tried to tell me about the raffle/donation but I interupted her and said that I had already heard about it and told straight out I couldn't afford it at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simple answer - they are desperate for more money.

Not good.

Yep - between us my husband and I have got about 5 calls, to a combination of mobiles and home numbers. My first call was before christmas and I said that given the time of year I couldn't afford it. The girl then asked if she could call after christmas in case I could afford it then. They really sound desperate with the second and third calls stating they are struggling to sell the tickets.

The thing is if they had twenty dollar tickets rather than 200 dollar tickets then many people (myself included) may have been happy to buy one. They would have probably made more money with cheaper tickets. Even the big QEH Home lottery the tickets are only a hundred bucks and most people who buy one are likely to win something. 200 bucks is ridiculous - I'd love to know which marketing / fund raising guru thought that would work.

Got a call before Christmas on my home phone and got one today on my mobile phone. Today she said only 500 of the 2000 tickets have been sold.

Remember that the people on the phone were friendly and just doing their job, so hopefully nobody gives them a hard time.

Got a call before Christmas on my home phone and got one today on my mobile phone. Today she said only 500 of the 2000 tickets have been sold.

Remember that the people on the phone were friendly and just doing their job, so hopefully nobody gives them a hard time.

Nope I didn't give them a hard time. Just said I couldn't afford it and politely declined.

500 of the 2000 is pretty bad. I can't believe they actually thought people would shell out 200 bucks for a raffle.

Nope I didn't give them a hard time. Just said I couldn't afford it and politely declined.

500 of the 2000 is pretty bad. I can't believe they actually thought people would shell out 200 bucks for a raffle.

Considering they've been trying to sell the tickets since August this has been an epic fail by the club. They should seriously consider scrapping the raffle and refunding the money because I doubt they'll sell many more, if any, tickets.

It is a disgrace that the club has stooped to this to raise dollars. Talk about shitting in your own nest. Well done for making our fans feel guilty for not supporting the club when they are the ones shelling out hundreds and hundreds of dollars for season's tickets.

If we're trying to save money, how about not sending Neil to the US to 'reaffirm a lot of his beliefs'? Or having the ASC conduct a review into our fitness when any nuffy with half a clue could have told you exactly what the results would be? Or not paying the salaries of these cold sale telephonists? I'm sure people could come up with heaps of other money saving options for the club.

Essendon have been doing this for a few years. I remember thinking "Gee.. that's stupid" when a mate told me about it.

Now we're doing it???:mad:

I dare say there is a company that peddles it's system to the clubs.. And we took it on

Essendon have been doing this for a few years. I remember thinking "Gee.. that's stupid" when a mate told me about it.

Now we're doing it???:mad:

I dare say there is a company that peddles it's system to the clubs.. And we took it on

Hopefully Essendon didn't push it upon as. the AFL's own version of a pyramid scheme. :D

All up I had about 6 calls from a lady at the Crows asking me if I was going to buy a ticket? I have been half considering buying one, but it does seem like a lot for a donation. I'd probably get one for $50. But $200 is a bit different. My Mrs & I ended up renewing out memberships instead, we figured well we would rather put that money towards having something to do for 11 weeks of the season. That way we get something out of it.

The strange thing was - she was using her personal mobile number? Surely the crows can afford to get her a phone to use? Maybe the Crows are not well off as we all have thought for all these years???

I think the Crows may outsource this.

Not sure if it happens anymore, but kids used to sell lollies on behalf of the Sportsgirl Quest. Basically it was a lolly company selling door to door via contractors who employed kids to sell them. The contractors would make a donation to the Sportsgirl Quest.

This sounds similar to that. These people run the raffle and give some of the proceeds to the Crows. Who in turn give the raffle sellers their database of members to sell to.

The strange thing was - she was using her personal mobile number? Surely the crows can afford to get her a phone to use? Maybe the Crows are not well off as we all have thought for all these years???

No problem their, we're not Fitzroy. We're not broke, this is just a good charitable idea to help build the clubs coffers....or maybe send the boys to Bali in the mid season break. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows Members: Club call you asking for donation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back