Game Day Crows Vs Demons: Youth and home truths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely a step in the right direction.

Finally players like Atkins are not getting gifted games. I just hope these changes are not just because of the short breaks and are actually performance based.

I've never been one of the "FOG is a midfielder" posters, but this week against the big bodies of Melbourne (Petracca, Oliver and Viney), it might be a good game for him to attend a few center bounces a quarter.

Just go in there and throw his weight around against the big boys, and see if he can't upset the inevitable landslide of clearances that is going to stack up against us. And also, for him to hone his craft a bit, maybe give him a new string to his bow.

I mean why not right? We are in the rebuild now!

Need a decent plan in the midfield or its going to be ugly.

Keays straight to Petracca. Tag all game.

MCrouch to Viney (yikes)

Jones / Schoenberg / Smith / Laird to rotate through that last inside/outside spot. Battle with Oliver.

ROB hasnt just got Gawn to deal with. He will also have to throw his bigger body around to help the contest.

Finally players like Atkins are not getting gifted games. I just hope these changes are not just because of the short breaks and are actually performance based.
I think this is what you wanted to hear?

"Kyle Hartigan, Shane McAdam, Andrew McPherson and Tyson Stengle will be managed on the back of a four-day break.
Riley Knight, Bryce Gibbs, Rory Atkins and Kieran Strachan have all been omitted."

Need a decent plan in the midfield or its going to be ugly.

Keays straight to Petracca. Tag all game.

MCrouch to Viney (yikes)

Jones / Schoenberg / Smith / Laird to rotate through that last inside/outside spot. Battle with Oliver.

ROB hasnt just got Gawn to deal with. He will also have to throw his bigger body around to help the contest.
Gawn and ROB in the centre bounces...yikes!

Maybe we play 4 mids from time to time...and take the then we are one more on the ground for when the inevitable happens.

Not expecting a win, but sweet baby jesus id love to get the W with a bunch of kids playing!

Lack of running power and ground ball pressure is a severe handicap to overcome. Just hoping we see a bit more enthusiasm out there this week given the ch@nges. Last week was hilarious stuff and fully deserved. If Melbourne aren't on an up week, we could cause an upset though.

I think Dees will get up, but it should be lot closer and more competitive than last week. Now we actually have some forwards that can take a mark and kick a goal!

Looking forward to seeing the 2 newbies, hopefully Schoenberg gets a good run in the guts.

I've never been one of the "FOG is a midfielder" posters, but this week against the big bodies of Melbourne (Petracca, Oliver and Viney), it might be a good game for him to attend a few center bounces a quarter.

Just go in there and throw his weight around against the big boys, and see if he can't upset the inevitable landslide of clearances that is going to stack up against us. And also, for him to hone his craft a bit, maybe give him a new string to his bow.

I mean why not right? We are in the rebuild now!

Would blow up very quickly. Maybe in 3 or 4 weeks.

This is the last winnable game in 2020 for the Adelaide Crows, playing at home, with the heat and scrutiny of the AFL world on Goodwin and Melbourne, the Crows will get up in the biggest boilover in the Corona Year.

Nicks knows this is his best chance to give us something to Crow about. All the inclusions in tonights game could have played over the weekend, he has kept them for this game especially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have played three interstate teams at Adelaide Oval this year and could easily be 3-0. This is typical of a developing team, often competitive at home and shocking away.

Structurally our team tonight has more holes than swiss cheese and Melbourne’s stengths (ruck, inside mids) are where we are most vulnerable. A big loss wouldn’t be surprising but I’m telling you “We’re a Chance”.

I stated in the second half of last year that Sholl deserved a game and I have no idea why he has had to wait this long. Shoenberg is a delicious prospect although he does look like he has been on the McGovern diet.

Mrouch, Kelly, Seedsman and of course Mackay, we will be watching........very closely. I expect the eight sub-twenty gamers to struggle but we just want them to have a crack.

Last edited:
We might just win this. Because winning would be a nail in the coffin for Goodwin which means we can bring another of the boys club home.

Roo would love the idea of bringing him back so he'll have the boys fired up. He's heard a lot of muttering about lack of a senior assitant coach, seems the perfect role for Goodwin and will set him up extremely well to take over as head coach once Nicks gets the flick.

The AFC made a very separate distinction between Omitted and Managed. If Atkins & Gibbs lost their spot for the short breaks, they would be listed with Managed players: Stengle, Hartigan etc. Well done to the Club for a clear statement that both Gibbs & Atkins lost their place in the side because of performance. I wonder what the future holds for Gibbs now?

It's good in one way that Knight and Atkins have made way.

In another it highlights a major development issue. Knight looked the part in a final at the MCG early, the type who'd become a heart-on-the-sleeve spiritual leader. Getting in Selwood's grill.

Atkins is the outside player we need to find space, capitalise on the work of the grunt guys, complement our other mids. Has had some very good games in his career.

Skills have gone backwards in Atkins' case. Knight you barely know is on the field. Both cover huge km each game so it's not a workrate issue.

It's purely poor development and is damning.

Yeah it's good they're dropped but it's worse that they need to be. Won't Sholl and Schoenberg's development just follow the same path with our current coaching team? Initial promise, plateau, regression.

The AFC made a very separate distinction between Omitted and Managed. If Atkins & Gibbs lost their spot for the short breaks, they would be listed with Managed players: Stengle, Hartigan etc. Well done to the Club for a clear statement that both Gibbs & Atkins lost their place in the side because of performance. I wonder what the future holds for Gibbs now?
What the future holds for Gibbs?

At this point, he’s a very expensive witches hat at training

In another it highlights a major development issue. Knight looked the part in a final at the MCG early, the type who'd become a heart-on-the-sleeve spiritual leader. Getting in Selwood's grill.

Atkins is the outside player we need to find space, capitalise on the work of the grunt guys, complement our other mids. Has had some very good games in his career.

Skills have gone backwards in Atkins' case. Knight you barely know is on the field. Both cover huge km each game so it's not a workrate issue.

Yeah it's good they're dropped but it's worse that they need to be. Won't Sholl and Schoenberg's development just follow the same path with our current coaching team? Initial promise, plateau, regression.
You'd hope we don't have the same coaching panel moving forward.

The thing with both of those guys are they have clear deficiencies that work against them in the AFL system. Knight is a hard running player who doesn't get enough of the ball and lacks real attacking threat. DMac MK 2 if you will. Injuries have certainly played their part with him.

Atkins is a neatly skilled but very inconsistent player. As our inside game has gotten worse so has he. He just refuses to regularly put himself on the line.

Now yep development does play it's part, but also players abilities max out earlier than others. There's only so much you can do.

As for tonight.... THIS is the side we want to win a game. 2 debutants, several other kids looking to prove themselves with a smattering of senior players, possibly still too many.

Give us something to smile about for the future guys.

Unfortunately we are against a side who loves to play us, and who's back is against the wall.

That is an extremely pessimistic way to look at the situation. You are talking about a guy in Atkins who was pick 81 in the draft who the club has managed to get 101 game out of so far - I personally still think he has a future here too - a lot of which were at a high standard. Knight was drafted at pick 46 with questions over his speed and kicking ability and we have managed to get 55 games so far out of him despite his horrible run with injuries. I disagree that that is a damning example of poor development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back