Game Day Crows Vs Demons: Youth and home truths.

Remove this Banner Ad

What the future holds for Gibbs?

At this point, he’s a very expensive witches hat at training

Well the government is saying they're going to change the law so employers can make people do work not in their job description 'because covid'. Seem a way to get some use out of Gibbs, what are the most menial tasks we can get him to do?

If we've got to pay him over half a million a year we should at least make his work to earn that money as miserable as possible.

That is an extremely pessimistic way to look at the situation. You are talking about a guy in Atkins who was pick 81 in the draft who the club has managed to get 101 game out of so far - I personally still think he has a future here too - a lot of which were at a high standard. Knight was drafted at pick 46 with questions over his speed and kicking ability and we have managed to get 55 games so far out of him despite his horrible run with injuries. I disagree that that is a damning example of poor development.
They've produced far better football at AFL level than they're producing now. It's diabolical.

It's the only thing that football departments are there to do - to help players perform better.

Sure, good talent ID by us initially and good development early to get them to that stage.

But since then... no better demonstration of how we've fallen.

Our list should have looked something like this every round this year.

So I'm not going to give the club credit for being forced into doing what it should have done and wasting half a season.

All this has done is set our development back even further and this is another wasted season.

The AFC made a very separate distinction between Omitted and Managed. If Atkins & Gibbs lost their spot for the short breaks, they would be listed with Managed players: Stengle, Hartigan etc. Well done to the Club for a clear statement that both Gibbs & Atkins lost their place in the side because of performance. I wonder what the future holds for Gibbs now?

Interesting point you raise about Gibbs. If the AFL lists are reduced at the end of the year as speculated, would it be possible for us to cut Gibbs and not have to pay out his contract, or is it uncontracted players only?

In the ideal world the Crows could say that axing Gibbs would be saving them a large amount of money, but no doubt the PA and Gibbs' lawyers would step in.

It's safe to say he won't be playing AFL again unless we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Has Fagan been questioned about this monumental heck up that he's responsible for lately?

Surprisingly pumped for this match.

Sholl
Schoenberg
Hamill
Jones
McHenry
McAsey
Fogarty
Doedee

Lots of players to watch
Few more of the list still to play, and a couple being rested. Has the button been pushed ??

Surround them with quality picks in the next couple drafts and better coaching structure and it could look a lot brighter.

Surprisingly pumped for this match.

Sholl
Schoenberg
Hamill
Jones
McHenry
McAsey
Fogarty
Doedee

Lots of players to watch

I have a theory about this. Most of my theories are rubbish but here it is:

When you get this many kids in the one team they start to rebuild the team themselves. They are no longer the one young kid out there, waiting for some senior player to tell them where to run or what to do, or holding back so they don’t get in the way of a Tex or a Sloane.

Instead you have a critical mass, where they look around and see young kids just like themselves all around and realise: it’s us. We’re the team now. Three of us can be involved in a chain without any senior player - just like when we played in the lower leagues.

Like when Blight sacked McDermott McGuinness and Jarman and made Bickley skipper. Your team now, get on with it.

We may get smacked tonight. Petracca has come into his own and Gawn is a beast. But as the OP said, the rebuild starts tonight.

Win lose or draw, I’m really looking forward to this game

Few more of the list still to play, and a couple being rested. Has the button been pushed ??

Surround them with quality picks in the next couple drafts and better coaching structure and it could look a lot brighter.

Correct, you add 6 quality high draft pick players, 3 from the 2020 draft and 3 from the 2021 draft (which is why the spoon in the post pandemic year is vital), our rebuild is over and while it may take a while to get into the 8 again, from 2022 we can optimistically look forward to good years ahead.

When you get this many kids in the one team they start to rebuild the team themselves. They are no longer the one young kid out there, waiting for some senior player to tell them where to run or what to do, or holding back so they don’t get in the way of a Tex or a Sloane.

Instead you have a critical mass, where they look around and see young kids just like themselves all around and realise: it’s us. We’re the team now. Three of us can be involved in a chain without any senior player - just like when we played in the lower leagues.

Like when Blight sacked McDermott McGuinness and Jarman and made Bickley skipper. Your team now, get on with it.

We may get smacked tonight. Petracca has come into his own and Gawn is a beast. But as the OP said, the rebuild starts tonight.

Exactly right

They take ownership

"If it is to be, then it's up to me."

We're finally venturing into the unknown

Will the club hold its nerve?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% and that is why we have to embrace this as much as possible over the next season and a half .

The benefits will start to show in 2022 when we have a core of our youngsters reaching that 40-50 game mark together .

Stop f..king around and eat the pain of defeat " With Youth " ... it is the only way

Last edited:
Exactly right

They take ownership

"If it is to be, then it's up to me."

We're finally venturing into the unknown

Will the club hold its nerve?
It'll will be interesting to see how Jones goes that he will be about the 8th least experienced player out there. Hopefully the added sense of responsibility and ownership will see him take his game to a new level.

Great post - I really think you're right.

The other factor is the presence of youth energizing our older guys a bit more. Will be really interesting to see what impact it has on the veterans who held their place in the team tonight.

With a bit of James Corden mixed in
james-corden-fat-shaming-1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Crows Vs Demons: Youth and home truths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back