FTA-TV Curb Your Enthusiasm

Remove this Banner Ad

Any show that you have to be stoned to find funny is not funny. CYE is one of these shows, when your not stoned, it's annoying, grating and just damn right boring. The situations he puts himself in are ridiculous and so far fetched and unbeleivable that it's just about 'passions' like.

The dialouge is worthless bloody crap, and I don't care if it's improvised, it's crap!, if you actually scripted it, it may actually be better, but just becuase it's improvised doesn't austomatically make it good ffs it makes you lazy, cheap and disrespectful to viewers who can see the crapness of it all.

Any show that you have to be stoned to find funny is not funny. CYE is one of these shows, when your not stoned, it's annoying, grating and just damn right boring. The situations he puts himself in are ridiculous and so far fetched and unbeleivable that it's just about 'passions' like.

The dialouge is worthless bloody crap, and I don't care if it's improvised, it's crap!, if you actually scripted it, it may actually be better, but just becuase it's improvised doesn't austomatically make it good ffs it makes you lazy, cheap and disrespectful to viewers who can see the crapness of it all.

Yeah, but no. The dialogue is brilliant. If it was scripted it would not be the same show. I particularly like it when the cast (mainly Larry) actually start laughing at what they and others are talking about. The episode about the dead aunt and obituary is hilarious, but The Pants is probably my favourite from season 1.

"What a combo!"

[YOUTUBE]uItK9t-nWG4[/YOUTUBE]

Which season are you talking about?

Season 5 was not great, but I loved Season 4.

Season 1 was brilliant, same with Season 2 esp The Batism, and Trick or Treat.

CYE is a poor mans seinfeld

Blokeman/Metrosuxaul man/the australian fast bowler.>>>>>>Larry David

The best character on Seinfeld, not to mention one of the best characters in TV history, George Costanza, was based on Larry David. Seinfeld would have been an average sitcom (at best) without him. The fact the show declined after he left is proof of that. I mean, S9 was practically rubbish, except the finale, which LD directed.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is a show that some people just don't get. It's not a bad taste/low intelligence thing, some people just don't get it. It's not that swallowable a show for public consumption.

Instead of debating with people who don't enjoy the show and starting flame wars, how about having a discussion about the show here.

Instead of debating with people who don't enjoy the show and starting flame wars, how about having a discussion about the show here.

good idea:thumbsu:

Well that guy did do a pretty good Larry impersonation but they attacked the show the wrong way. I could have written a bitter sketch pointing out CYE's flaws. Like how a lot of situations are bit over the top or could be solved simply. To attack it for Larry's so called racism is silly. Quite ironic that the Korean guy appears in a CYE epsiode.

Really? I find it's actually a VERY VERY common theme. Take these for example which took me just one search to find, which would indicate that it's a VERY common theme and that the majority of CYE fans think this is funny. Which is more of an indictment on the fans than the show as without the fans there owuld be no show.

HAHAH he called someone a N*gg#r.......wow that MUSt be funny.......

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MFebZlUJ7E&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MFebZlUJ7E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mi_c6D8SPcE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mi_c6D8SPcE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KffID8m20UU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KffID8m20UU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxjRhvUghA4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxjRhvUghA4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNSR52VG__4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNSR52VG__4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Geez it didn't take long beofre that old chestnut came out did it?

So by saying somethung completely rascist and innapropriate only to see the reaction is your idea of humour, you would have just been in histerics during the cronulla riots, heck I bet you were just doubled over in stiches laughing at the goings on over there, after all, it's not the 'actual racism' that you care about it's the 'fallout' that makes it funny:thumbsu:

Yeah, Hilarious!!!

Yup that was probably the funniest thing I have ever seen. :rolleyes:

LD is often made out to be in the wrong on CYE, and is never in a position of power. Therefore I don't think the show is promoting racism because whatever could be deemed racist is shot down on the show. Find me a clip where something racist happens which is accepted. He pushes the boundaries, just like he did on Seinfeld. Some people find it funny, other people are offended by it, which you clearly are. I am sure that there is a show or film or song you like which I would probably think was in poor taste.

Yup that was probably the funniest thing I have ever seen. :rolleyes:

LD is often made out to be in the wrong on CYE, and is never in a position of power. Therefore I don't think the show is promoting racism because whatever could be deemed racist is shot down on the show. Find me a clip where something racist happens which is accepted. He pushes the boundaries, just like he did on Seinfeld. Some people find it funny, other people are offended by it, which you clearly are. I am sure that there is a show or film or song you like which I would probably think was in poor taste.

Ok, let;s just get one thing out first, I'm not offended by it. I just don't think that it's funny or clever in the slightest to make such juvinille statemtns and then laugh at the reaction afterwrds. Much like the game 'penis' at school, where you would yell out 'penis' followed by your mate who would yell it out louder, then you or someone esle would follow louder and louder and louder until the teacher or other students made a reaction. it was hilarious!!!......wehn i was 13.

This is exactly the type of 'humour' LD tries to achieve, albiet in a more open, grown up setting. the resulting offense shown by the 'actors' and whatnot is what you find funny. wow, how clever is that? who would have thought that calling someone an anti-semite or harrassing someone for being jewish, or saying N&*Ger in the vincinity of a black man, or by imitating a chinese guy or just saying something completelty innapropriate would cause a conflict. I cringe at the level of 'humour' the show has and find it unbearable to watch without wanting to punch LD in the head for being such an arrogant douche. Couple that with the dialouge' of him and cherrlyl whereby LD with sayt something and she will just repeat verbatim the last few words what he said and use that as a question, then stammer while thinking of what to say becuase of the non existing scripts. Geez, it's almost like they tried to find a way to make it even more low class by getting rid of the scripts and improvising. The problem is THEY SUCK AT IMPROVISING, the only banter they actually have is just repeating what the other personm says and then adding on the most innane ridiclulous and boring piece of new informating, while raising there voices, chuckling and then having LD do some stupid voice as to why he doesn't understand this situation and the whole world must be againt him. ZThrow in the fat guy agreeing with him and a few rascist/innapropriate comments in the meanting and there you have an episode of CYE.

i can't believe you watched the whole second series, you obviously don't rate it and meh thats your opinion good luck to you, i know when i dont like something theres no way i'd make it through a whole season

to say EVERYONE hates it/dislikes it is just you getting fired up i reckon, i see what you're saying i just totally disagree with you, but you've got your opinion, not gonna try and change it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, let;s just get one thing out first, I'm not offended by it. I just don't think that it's funny or clever in the slightest to make such juvinille statemtns and then laugh at the reaction afterwrds. Much like the game 'penis' at school, where you would yell out 'penis' followed by your mate who would yell it out louder, then you or someone esle would follow louder and louder and louder until the teacher or other students made a reaction. it was hilarious!!!......wehn i was 13.

This is exactly the type of 'humour' LD tries to achieve, albiet in a more open, grown up setting. the resulting offense shown by the 'actors' and whatnot is what you find funny. wow, how clever is that? who would have thought that calling someone an anti-semite or harrassing someone for being jewish, or saying N&*Ger in the vincinity of a black man, or by imitating a chinese guy or just saying something completelty innapropriate would cause a conflict. I cringe at the level of 'humour' the show has and find it unbearable to watch without wanting to punch LD in the head for being such an arrogant douche. Couple that with the dialouge' of him and cherrlyl whereby LD with sayt something and she will just repeat verbatim the last few words what he said and use that as a question, then stammer while thinking of what to say becuase of the non existing scripts. Geez, it's almost like they tried to find a way to make it even more low class by getting rid of the scripts and improvising. The problem is THEY SUCK AT IMPROVISING, the only banter they actually have is just repeating what the other personm says and then adding on the most innane ridiclulous and boring piece of new informating, while raising there voices, chuckling and then having LD do some stupid voice as to why he doesn't understand this situation and the whole world must be againt him. ZThrow in the fat guy agreeing with him and a few rascist/innapropriate comments in the meanting and there you have an episode of CYE.

That is fair enough. Obviously I disagree, but that is fine too.

So by saying somethung completely rascist and innapropriate only to see the reaction is your idea of humour, you would have just been in histerics during the cronulla riots, heck I bet you were just doubled over in stiches laughing at the goings on over there, after all, it's not the 'actual racism' that you care about it's the 'fallout' that makes it funny:thumbsu:

Yeah, Hilarious!!!

Imo the show highlights how prevalent racism is in our society and makes fun of it (both the racism itself and often the hypocrisy of those offended). It is a much better show than Love Thy Neighbour or Kingswood Country, but they did the same thing. The racist is the but of the jokes. Sure some people will find it funny because they are racist (my grandfather absolutely loved Love Thy Neighbour) but the joke is really on them.

If you hate the show because you don't find it funny/well acted etc then fine, but I think your take on the show is incorrect.

Emo, you're not going to change anyones mind on here no matter how much you keep posting so just give it up. Congratulations on all your posts though, I'm sure that you feel satisfied.:rolleyes::eek:

I like how you make that argument, then make the "it was hilarious... when I was 13!" statement. You're obviously incapable of intelligent discussion if your opening argument ends as such. I find that type of response incredibly juvenile in itself.

This is exactly the type of 'humour' LD tries to achieve, albiet in a more open, grown up setting. the resulting offense shown by the 'actors' and whatnot is what you find funny. wow, how clever is that? who would have thought that calling someone an anti-semite or harrassing someone for being jewish, or saying N&*Ger in the vincinity of a black man, or by imitating a chinese guy or just saying something completelty innapropriate would cause a conflict.

So you're not offended by it, but yet you use this type of humour as part of your response? How would you rather that conflict be created? And don't make out like that's the only way humour is generated from the show, because it's absolutely incorrect. If I need to post plot points from each show, I can do that. Yes, it's often a source of humour (Larry David is jewish - go figure), but it's not the only source.

I cringe at the level of 'humour' the show has and find it unbearable to watch without wanting to punch LD in the head for being such an arrogant douche.

That's the character on the show. No man could ever be that way in real life - it's David's persona amped up by 1,000. That's just common sense.

Couple that with the dialouge' of him and cherrlyl whereby LD with sayt something and she will just repeat verbatim the last few words what he said and use that as a question, then stammer while thinking of what to say becuase of the non existing scripts. Geez, it's almost like they tried to find a way to make it even more low class by getting rid of the scripts and improvising.

Scenes are often shot and re-shot over and over. Just like other television shows. Why on Earth would they then use scenes that have David and other actors just repeated each others lines? A) It would not drive the scene, and B) There would be no humour at all. Do they stammer sometimes? Of course, everybody does. Believe it or not, in real life people don't read from scripts.

Secondly, it's not as if they just begin filming and go from there. There's certain beats that the actors need to get to, with certain information that needs to be said, in order for the scene to work. Just like any other television show.

David is one of the most respected comedy writers around. You may have heard of another television show he worked on. The style he works with on CYE has been very well received by critics, and has even inspired other television shows (such as Ricky Gervais and The Office). Those are facts.

The problem is THEY SUCK AT IMPROVISING,

And that is not. That's your opinion, and I would like you to provide an explanation as to what good improvisation actually is, then provide examples.

the only banter they actually have is just repeating what the other personm says and then adding on the most innane ridiclulous and boring piece of new informating, while raising there voices, chuckling and then having LD do some stupid voice as to why he doesn't understand this situation and the whole world must be againt him. ZThrow in the fat guy agreeing with him and a few rascist/innapropriate comments in the meanting and there you have an episode of CYE.

You obviously didn't like the one episode you watched of the DVD you bought, and hey, that's perfectly fine. The show is not for you.

But next time you wish to debate its merits, please actually have something to discuss, and not just, to paraphrase "oh, i hate this show, and this why, cause this happened the time i saw it, and i didnt understand it, and i got offended by the humour, its so bad."

I mean, c'mon.

I like how you make that argument, then make the "it was hilarious... when I was 13!" statement. You're obviously incapable of intelligent discussion if your opening argument ends as such. I find that type of response incredibly juvenile in itself.

I like it how you start YOUR argument by going to the old chestnut of Ad Hominem, surely if you were so capable of making intellectual arguments you wouldn't have had to resort to that playground classic strasight off the bat.

I mean c'mon

So you're not offended by it, but yet you use this type of humour as part of your response? How would you rather that conflict be created? And don't make out like that's the only way humour is generated from the show, because it's absolutely incorrect. If I need to post plot points from each show, I can do that. Yes, it's often a source of humour (Larry David is jewish - go figure), but it's not the only source.

I'm sorry, but I didn't know that being Jewish gave you an excuse and right to be rascist? I must have missed that memo and I used that incident as an example, you know, the thing where you provide factual evidence and then discuss the merrits of it to formuate your argument. I could have used a myrid of different ones, but I thought that seeing as your a fan, you would have known that this isn't an isolated incident and therefore not worth nit picking over this one particualr example.

As for second point, 'how would you rather conflict be creasted' well that my friend, is my whole point. If LD is supposed to be this 'genius' and 'talented' writer, surely he could find a way to create conflict without having to resort to the simple minded rascism, surely a writer of his credentials could have created a situation that would have been more complex than just to drop an N bomb, or C bomb, or some other ridiculousy out of proportion saying. Even then, had he just apologised, the whole situatuion would have been resolved, yet this 'genius' then begins to defend himself agaisnt he un defendable thus making it completely unrealistic and unb3eleivable, thus showing up the 'genius' of it all. Hence the 'passions' reference earlier.

That's the character on the show. No man could ever be that way in real life - it's David's persona amped up by 1,000. That's just common sense.
Cool, no worries, I'm sure Buffy the Vampire Slayer could't exist in real life either, but my point still remains about Passions. Trying to exagerate every situation in an effort to get a laugh, or being a 'try hard' would be more apt.

Scenes are often shot and re-shot over and over. Just like other television shows. Why on Earth would they then use scenes that have David and other actors just repeated each others lines? A) It would not drive the scene, and B) There would be no humour at all. Do they stammer sometimes? Of course, everybody does. Believe it or not, in real life people don't read from scripts.

Well then with all these 're-shoots' you say they do, why in the final complete product, do they end up with some of the most amatuer dialouge possible, A year 10 drama class could provide better banter at a more believalbe level than these so called 'proffessionals', And about the stammering, sure people stutter, but htis is the type of stutter of an 'actor' drawing a blank by not knowing what to say (due to not having scripts) and having to think of something due to having to improvise, and just not being any good at it. That just screams of laziness form the director/editor/writer and no talent from the actor.

Secondly, it's not as if they just begin filming and go from there. There's certain beats that the actors need to get to, with certain information that needs to be said, in order for the scene to work. Just like any other television show.

Sure, Ok, they have some guidelines to follow, I understand that. The fact still remains, that the end product looks amatuer and unrealistc from an acting point of veiw and it's the director/writer/actor/producers role to make sure than doesn't happen with better scripts/direction/acting/timing. When the final product comes out and has these flaws in them, then it reflects badly on the show and anyone responsible. It is after all supposed to be a proffesional show is it not?

David is one of the most respected comedy writers around. You may have heard of another television show he worked on. The style he works with on CYE has been very well received by critics, and has even inspired other television shows (such as Ricky Gervais and The Office). Those are facts.
Your right, he's a great writer, I think he should actually keep doing that an not have to cut corners and improvise, and he should definitely not acgt, he is just no good at it, the reason why George was such a hit was becuase of the combination of BOTH the acting AND the script. In CYE LD has missed one half of thwe puzzle and is never going to pull it off with his actign skills, lack of script and dodgy production skills.

And that is not. That's your opinion, and I would like you to provide an explanation as to what good improvisation actually is, then provide examples.

Good improvisation should be flawless and feel like it was totally natural, unstaged, unscritped and just flow like water. Not have stops, stammers, pauses to think. You should nto be able to tell that they are actually improvising for it to be great imporv. This is clearlty not the case with CYE.

You obviously didn't like the one episode you watched of the DVD you bought, and hey, that's perfectly fine. The show is not for you.

If you read my previous post I have seen the whole of season 2, as to not take it on a one episode basis, which gives me enough knowledge of the show to be able to be able to see the trends and common themes that it uses.

But next time you wish to debate its merits, please actually have something to discuss, and not just, to paraphrase "oh, i hate this show, and this why, cause this happened the time i saw it, and i didnt understand it, and i got offended by the humour, its so bad."

I suggest the next time you discuss and argue you don't lie and make false claims to back up your statements. Saying that I said 'oh I hate this show...etc' is a complete fabrication and just shows your level of argumentitive skills if you have to resort to lying to prove a point.

I mean cmon

if anyone's keen, i've got seasons 2 and 3 both sealed in mint condition i've had sitting here for a while. They're region 2-UK, relos over there gave them to me but i already had them. The cases are in the cardboard slip design like in this ebay auction i found http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Curb-Your-Enthusiasm-Season-1-Series-1-DVD-Boxset_W0QQitemZ130312488980QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL?hash=item1e573ac814&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

$15 each - free postage :)

I cringe at the level of 'humour' the show has and find it unbearable to watch without wanting to punch LD in the head for being such an arrogant douche.

I think you've just nailed the exact vibe Larry David is aiming for with this show. :thumbsu:

It is so refreshing to see an innovative show on TV. I love it. For those that don't, never fear. There will be plenty of Everybody loves Raymond, King of Queens and Two and a half men clones to keep you happy. They will all be carefully scripted with a helpful laugh track to point out the jokes, they will be bright and shiny, and all will be shot with a multi-camera setup.

I just prefer shows like CYE, they have tried something a bit different, and for me it works.

It is so refreshing to see an innovative show on TV. I love it. For those that don't, never fear. There will be plenty of Everybody loves Raymond, King of Queens and Two and a half men clones to keep you happy. They will all be carefully scripted with a helpful laugh track to point out the jokes, they will be bright and shiny, and all will be shot with a multi-camera setup.

I just prefer shows like CYE, they have tried something a bit different, and for me it works.

Great post IMO:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Curb Your Enthusiasm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back