Cuz will be On The Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

Also picked that up right from the beginning, made a few rude remarks and Ben took them like a champ. Healy was a real jerk during that entire interview :thumbsdown:

You're on the wrong train there.

Healy is a good mate of Cousins. They go surfing together.

He just seems to always have this little arrogant smirk on his face that makes you wonder if he is telling the truth or he thinks it's all a joke.
A reaction to nerves I'd say, based on what I've seen from him in the past as well. You'd be a bit nervous answering questions of that nature on TV.

Nothing sinister, obviously he isn't going to tell the complete truth but he spoke well and answered the questions impressively.

No point Richmond fans embracing Cousins too much.

He will look to resume ties with the West Coast Eagles once he retires and Richmond will be to him what Carton was to Mick Martyn or Cory McKernan.

I dont think they were rude remarks!

People want to know these things, if those guys didnt probe Ben on those questions then everyone would just continue to assume the worst of those situations. They asked those questions from the point of view of a fan who may think the premiership was tainted or that shaving his hair was a finger to the AFL so that Ben could set the record straight.

I really dont think that just because they asked the question it means thats what they think. They are journalists...

Was very interesting to hear what he had to say. I have a problem with his body language though, but this may just be his nerves or something he doesn't know he does. He just seems to always have this little arrogant smirk on his face that makes you wonder if he is telling the truth or he thinks it's all a joke.

He dodged a few questions as well, especially the one about the relapse last year. I think he still has his faults but if he can stay clean then good luck to him.

Obviously you didn't listen carefully or you don't understand english. There was no such relapse. He was on holidays with his girlfriend and her two kids and a few day with his parents. Also, Richmond football club never spoke to him about any binge drinking, as reported by media.

it's obvious, some don't like him but i think that most are not well educated on Drug addiction and it's effects, as stated by cuz in his interview.

Was very interesting to hear what he had to say. I have a problem with his body language though, but this may just be his nerves or something he doesn't know he does. He just seems to always have this little arrogant smirk on his face that makes you wonder if he is telling the truth or he thinks it's all a joke.

He dodged a few questions as well, especially the one about the relapse last year. I think he still has his faults but if he can stay clean then good luck to him.

known benny for a long time,great bloke and the smirk which everyone thinks is arrogant is just nerves and has done it since he was a kid,great job tonight benny,brian and steph would be very proud

I guess he is at least trying to restore some sort of respect from the public. To me and alot of others he is very very lucky to be even given another chance to play afl so it gives me the shits that he is being put up as a champion this champion that. The man would have probably been on something while being handed a premiership medal, that should be stripped from him. Anyway. Can't wait until his career ends this year so we hopefully don't hear from him much. Just my opinion, i'm sure it will be very well recieved around here.

aghh get off ya bleedin high horse you sanctimonious good for nothing preacher..did you ever forgive that godforsaken club of yours for bringing the game into disrepute through a scheme of systematic rorting that undermined the whole integrity of the competion. Go and recheck your moral compass and get back to us junior:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever buddy.

I dare say that if it wasn't for Healy being present then there would have been no interview but you know best, right.

I didn't have a problem with his questions. His repeated comments about Cousins playing next year were rude and unnecessary. Same with his comments relating to the shaved head. Ben stated it wasn't an up yours to the AFL but Gerald again assumed it was.

Good interview nonetheless, just can't stand Healy.

I guess he is at least trying to restore some sort of respect from the public. To me and alot of others he is very very lucky to be even given another chance to play afl so it gives me the shits that he is being put up as a champion this champion that. The man would have probably been on something while being handed a premiership medal, that should be stripped from him. Anyway. Can't wait until his career ends this year so we hopefully don't hear from him much. Just my opinion, i'm sure it will be very well recieved around here.

I'm not necessarily saying you're an idiot, but the above is something an idiot might say.

He will look to resume ties with the West Coast Eagles once he retires and Richmond will be to him what Carton was to Mick Martyn or Cory McKernan.

Maybe he will just leaves us, but I get the impression he has formed a good relationship with some of our players. I don't think he will just forget about RFC.

I thought it was a bloody fantastic interview into a man who has had his life spiral out of control due to drugs. To see how much effort the bloke has put in to get another go at footy, and to a bigger extent, life.

If he is serious about wanting to stay in footy, then I think he is a perfect candidate to be a midfield coach ala Robert Harvey.

I thought it was a bloody fantastic interview into a man who has had his life spiral out of control due to drugs. To see how much effort the bloke has put in to get another go at footy, and to a bigger extent, life.

If he is serious about wanting to stay in footy, then I think he is a perfect candidate to be a midfield coach ala Robert Harvey.

Should be a straight up red card for coming on here with that sorta signature.

Interesting observation. It will be interesting to see what happens. Personally, I took the most out of the footage of him making his comeback for West Coast after coming out about his troubles. Watching him come onto the field and get his first touches and look so fluent, natural and determined I found somewhat inspirational, despite the colours.

Also he did state in the interview he feels forever indebted to the RFC for giving him a life-line. I think the ties are a bit more emotional than the examples you stated.

Also, before its picked up, I referred to Gerard Healy as Ian Healy in an earlier post. Brain fade. For the record Ian Healy is a great man.

Did you watch the interview?

I did not get that impression at all.

Cuz was deeply in debt to Richmond and it's fans for giving him a second chance. Wants to play next year, if not wants to stay at club. Wants to stay in melb.

Personally I thought the guy was great. Spoke the truth, despite the niggling from 4 eyes magoo and to a lesser extent Healy.

His simple message was that the media and some folds of the afl was a negative one in regards to him, when it should be a positive one. The guy is overcoming addiction and making something out of his life, turning the boat around.

He should be supported and not put down and criticised.

His drug taking actions should not be applauded, but his decision to face his problem (publicly) and move forward with life has the makings of an inspirational story to many people with drug addiction.

I'd love for him to stay at Richmond next year, our yound players need leadership around them. The guy will always be on his last chance and he knows that. I think his ability to turn his life around is a good one to our impressionable young players. Maybe they'll learn how to kick!

Yeah cannot agree with your observation 1980GF. He said he had no plans to return to Perth anytime soon and said he was forever in debt to the RFC. Don't think Corey McKernan was saying that when he left Carlton.

Ok, here is an outsider's opinion for what it is worth (& one with a Journalism degree & in the field).

Gerard Healy was very good. He noted when Ben was going off topic in answering the questions & brought his focus back to actually answering the question. Gerard was not trying to "nail" him, rather trying to address all the questions people have. If you note, there was a point in the interview where he mentioned that Stephanie & Bryan (Cuz's parents) would be very proud of him right now.

Secondly, in terms of Cuz's smirk/smile. No he wasnt lying, but nervous - no doubt. Think about when you yourself are nervous and we all develop idiosyncracies.

Thirdly & finally. Re Cuz, I thought he was incredibly articulate, passionate about this footy & genuinely trying to get his life (nevermind football) back on track. He knows he has stuffed up and that he has a long way to go. I remember at the time of this arrest, pleading with people not to judge him and to try and understand this thing called addiction & his points about how people are not compassionate about the condition is so spot on. Unfortunately it is the judgemental aspect of society.

So Cuz, well done. Even if this is your last year, I think this interview did you more good than harm. I truly hope he gets picked up for another year and if not, that a club take a punt to put him on as a Development Coach, because he not only has enough to coach kids about footy, he has more experience to teach them about life & the traps to avoid.

Class Cuz, class :thumbsu:

Does anyone watch The Today Show on 9? I usually see it from 6.30-7am before work, and the lead up to sports talk this morning was pathetic. It was something like: "And next on Sports Talk, Ben Cousins in hot water again. He SLAMS the AFL claiming 'they were out to get him'." Ok normally I like Carl, but that was bs. They backpedaled when they actually spoke about it and showed the footage where Cuz explains why he felt that way, but geez they love to flip shit. No wonder he rarely does interviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cuz will be On The Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back