Cyril Rioli retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli was an out and out superstar, unpredictable, super talented, and a big game player which was reflected by the fact he was a Norm Smith Medalist in the 2015 GF. I'll never forget the way he cut to pieces the Eagles in the 2015 Grand Final. I love watching the mighty hawks and watching Cyril weave his magic has been one of the reasons I have loved watching football over the past 10 years. Will be missed not only by the Hawks but by the game. Good luck Cyril.

Best I've ever seen as far as a reflex to ability player...

The things his subconscious could do at warp speed were simply undeniable...

One thing i find sad though is he seemed very lonley once he got famous like his uniqueness was a bit of a curse at times...

I clearly remember seeing an interview of him as a kid (wearing a bomber jumper) at home beaming with enthusiasm that i never saw again once his profile grew and the spotlight was on him, almost like a systemic distrust of people staying guarded for some reason and i find it no surprise he retired for family issues...

All the best Junior...
Really astute observation and well articulated. You're right...never was comfortable in the spotlight. Now he's at peace. I like that thought

Bad news for the game, Great news for opponents.
Most importantly..............how is Bruce?
Has anyone given him the RUOK call yet?

Good on him, 4 flags, plenty of memories and retiring at 28, maybe he'll be able to walk properly and kick to kick with kids for years to come. Probably gave up a fair chunk of cash to retire today but money isn't everything, being able to chase your kids down when they think they have you covered...money can't buy that

Great player, phenomenal career. One of the most watchable footballers of the recent decade.

Got potted unfairly by the stats-only crowd, but everyone who watched him play knows what a remarkable footballer he was.

Thanks to a star of the game!
Even the pots were unfair. Advanced stats consistently rated him as a top 10 player in the competition. It was only the stat watchers who look at the kicks, handballs, goals that would incoherently squawk over-rated.

Gee Richmond & Hawthorn supports get along amicably on Bigfooty it would seem. Makes for a nice contrast to the usual diatribe between supporters.

I will definitely breathe easier knowing he won't be running around out there anymore. Cyril made you have a heart attack anytime you saw him approaching one of yours; you just knew the tackle would stick & the HTB call would come along. Jumping skyward every time and tons of one percenters. Excitement machine and a resume that anyone would die to have. Perhaps he did not reach what may have been his full potential, but damn is that saying something, considering just how god damn good he has been. The number one moment I remember him for is him kicking the goal after the siren to beat the Swans at the SCG in 2016, must have been the longest goal he ever kicked that one.

Good luck for the future, hopefully might get a glimpse of him playing later on in NT (maybe on NITV?)

Even the pots were unfair. Advanced stats consistently rated him as a top 10 player in the competition. It was only the stat watchers who look at the kicks, handballs, goals that would incoherently squawk over-rated.
Oh I know, I think it's always been unfair. There's a certain eagles ruckman who I feel similarly about incidentally..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree with this, but saying he was an "athlete second" is selling him short. Sure he was not an aerobic beast. But Cyril was one of the most explosive and dynamic athletes the game has seen.

Lots of people talk about past greats not being suited to the modern game. In a way Cyril was not suited to the drone running of the modern game.

But he was amazing anyway - such a unique footballer.

Disappointed he didn't agree to see the year out so we could trade him to North :p

Actually the way footy is now he is more the perfect fit for a superstar striker...something Australia desperately needs ...who knows one day a Rioli might help us hoist a World Cup.

But boy I’m glad he didn’t play the round ball...he just made going to the footy exciting because in the next second anything could and often happened. He was a burst player...and when Cyril was on the burst there was none better, he could do it all ..even ruck!!

What a legend, so privileged to see him.

Loved the fact that you could kick it to a two on one against cyril and he'd at least halve it every time, with a decent chance of winning it.So good one on one, in traffic, and rarely wasted a disposal or touch. Terrorised opposition with his pressure and tackling. Not to mention a sublime goal kicker.

He will be sorely missed, sad he couldn't get up for one more game and be chaired off as a great of the HFC. I will selfishly miss watching him.

Cyril was an absolute star.

I love the absolute parrot-ness of the "cyril is overrated" camp. Richmond have only just now helped people understand just how important defensive pressure is to winning games. The only fwd in the history of the game that would possibly be better than cyril at it shares his last name.

So many goals were kicked by Hawthorn on the back if his defensive efforts, and he was unselfish to the point of utter absurdity.

That, and he could turn a match on its head in an instant.

Star of the game. 3xAA norm smith medalist and the fwd pocket spot of the Hawthorn team of the century is his.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
We already had some appreciation for the name, for obvious reasons, though Mauroce was a different sort of player. Daniel's on a similar mode, and as I watch him buzz around at light-speed terrifying opposition defenders in between kicking the odd goal of the year, I appreciate how Hawks supporters used to get cross with people who derided Cytol's low possession average.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back