Cyril Rioli retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he finds happiness in retirement and his family stay safe and healthy, this is the important thing.
Hawthorn fans and players loved him and that's all that matters.
Personally, I love a Rioli!

First year, one of his first games, a big senior Adelaide midfielder takes one look at the twig Cyril was back then and tries to run through him, when he wasn't just dragged down but thoroughly slammed into the turf I knew we had something different that's for sure.

When I was a kid there weren't many limited stats guys that could be among the biggest influences every week (Long and Maurice before my time a little bit), you look at teams of the 90's, 2000's and they are guys that fill stat sheets usually unless it's a key back. A lot of try hard analysts will be putting in 4 tall forwards, a mid and Eddie (well deserved) in their forward line of this decade, but to me there was one guy that redefined what a Small Forward should be.
And yes, there were a ton of games he was more influential than Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge, as great as they were. Clarko was no less desperate to put in an underdone Cyril in 2014 GF than he was to put Hodge in the 2012 GF, he was hugely important for us and you can see it now in our forward line.

Just about to turn 29, I wonder if theres a chance of a comeback in a year or so? Some proper time away from the game and time spent with his family sorting out any personal issues he might have as well as his body, could see him get back on track again and bring back his desire to play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its great to see the majority of posters in this thread giving him due respect. kudos to those posters.
The game as a whole is made poorer by his absence.
Thanks for the memories junior boy.

Just about to turn 29, I wonder if theres a chance of a comeback in a year or so? Some rpoper time away from the game and time spent with his family sorting out any personal issues he might have as well as his body, could see him get back on track again and bring back his desire to play?

Often the brightest stars burn faster

First year, one of his first games, a big senior Adelaide midfielder takes one look at the twig Cyril was back then and tries to run through him, when he wasn't just dragged down but thoroughly slammed into the turf I knew we had something different that's for sure.

When I was a kid there weren't many limited stats guys that could be among the biggest influences every week (Long and Maurice before my time a little bit), you look at teams of the 90's, 2000's and they are guys that fill stat sheets usually unless it's a key back. A lot of try hard analysts will be putting in 4 tall forwards, a mid and Eddie (well deserved) in their forward line of this decade, but to me there was one guy that redefined what a Small Forward should be.
And yes, there were a ton of games he was more influential than Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge, as great as they were. Clarko was no less desperate to put in an underdone Cyril in 2014 GF than he was to put Hodge in the 2012 GF, he was hugely important for us and you can see it now in our forward line.

No one could match Cyril for strength. The best tackler i have ever seen... his wrists must be like iron bars.

That was Nathan Bock, a CHB with a playing weight about 20kg more than Cyril would've been at the time

Just catching up with the news. Clarkson said it perfectly in his statement. Cyril was one of the most influential players i've ever seen. A real champion.

On a serious note, it was such a shame that Bruce McAvaney single handedly turned a lot of people against Cyril with his personal over indulgence. He's done/doing it with other champs as well.

Well played Cyril.

Someone please explain why is he retiring? I must be living under a rock

Too many Rioli's, not enough Chiefs.

Great career, dynamic player who made things happen. Forever a Hawthorn legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back